HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 19, 2008, 10:10 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
^ Not construction related at all, this should be in Winnipeg business or some area, but not construction.

BTW...a quick web search will tell you what each of their exposures are. Personally my pension company (SunLife) had $315million in AIG and $340million in Lehmans. not good... early retirement is still 20 yrs away for me, but after all of this i may have to go to 65 (30 yrs away)

well you could go the semie retired and work 6months a year in 20 years?

Old Posted Oct 13, 2008, 4:35 PM
Capitalist

I heard the Free Press workers have gone on strike.

Consideing that ad revenue has been hit by the financial issues and lack of liquidity ... I really don't envy the union position, or the FP owners who will loss out on revenue.

Don't be surprised if FP is bought out by a bigger fish.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2008, 8:27 PM
Youth of a Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
I heard the Free Press workers have gone on strike.

Consideing that ad revenue has been hit by the financial issues and lack of liquidity ... I really don't envy the union position, or the FP owners who will loss out on revenue.

Don't be surprised if FP is bought out by a bigger fish.
Yeah i get the WFP, carriers stopped delivering.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2008, 3:26 AM

I wholeheartedly agree with newflyer. Print media is on the way out (not necessarily permanently), but as a mainstream information medium and with reduced revenues, the unions are fighting an uphill battle against owners who don't have much champagne to share, so to speak.

I enjoy having a daily brought to my door, but I'm not so sure I'm willing to pay a nickel more. Given my ready (and largely free - or reduced cost) access to online and up-to-the-minute information, plus the 2 magazines that I currently subscribe too, I'm tapped out as far as a recreational reading goes.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2008, 12:14 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

New Flyer Orders

10/14/2008 | CJOB 680 AM

Amidst much doom and gloom within the manufacturing sector these days, some bright news from Winnipeg based New Flyer Industries.

The company has announced it's received orders over the last three months for up to 845 buses, worth a combined US$484 million. Of these orders, 584 buses are new orders and 261 are exercised options.

When combined with previously reported orders, they bring the total number of buses ordered in 2008 to 3,332, worth US$1.78 billion in sales.

Winnipeg-based New Flyer manufactures heavy-duty transit buses in both Canada and the U.S.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2008, 5:59 AM
Youth of a Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
New Flyer Orders

10/14/2008 | CJOB 680 AM

Amidst much doom and gloom within the manufacturing sector these days, some bright news from Winnipeg based New Flyer Industries.

The company has announced it's received orders over the last three months for up to 845 buses, worth a combined US$484 million. Of these orders, 584 buses are new orders and 261 are exercised options.

When combined with previously reported orders, they bring the total number of buses ordered in 2008 to 3,332, worth US$1.78 billion in sales.

Winnipeg-based New Flyer manufactures heavy-duty transit buses in both Canada and the U.S.
This i think is some pretty obvious news as more and more cities are moving towards providing public transportation. New Flyer provides some very energy efficient buses.

With the exception of buses going into flames or smoking. lol

edit..

I went and read that article on newflyers website.. the best part i read "Winnipeg Transit in Winnipeg, MB has exercised options for 33 40-foot diesel buses".

Last edited by JayM; Oct 16, 2008 at 6:17 AM.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2008, 1:15 PM
What could go wrong?

New Flyer is such a great success story to have in Winnipeg that we should be working harder with them to make Winnipeg the showcase of Newflyer product. I see it as win-win for both parties. Winnipeg should have the most modern, efficient bus fleet in North America and New Flyer can use it to bring clients here to sample their amazing product in action.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2008, 2:45 PM

that would make too much sense

Old Posted Oct 16, 2008, 5:11 PM

Manufacturing sales up in August

Manitoba joined Saskatchewan as the only provinces to post gains in manufacturing sales in August, Statistics Canada reported today.

Manufacturers in Saskatchewan saw sales jump by 5.7 per cent for the month, while Manitoba manufactures showed a one per cent increase in sales over July numbers, the federal agency noted.

The rest of the country fared far worse with Statistics Canada noting sales decreased 3.7 per cent during the month, wiping out gains posted in the previous two months. The agency cited decreases in the petroleum and coal producing industries as having the largest impact on the drop in national numbers, while noting 18 of the 21 manufacturing sectors tracked saw sales decline.

The StatsCan report did not break down provincial sales or explain the gains in Manitoba and Saskatchewan.

Other notable trends reported:

- Sales fell 15.4 per cent in the Atlantic provinces and 3.1 per cent in Ontario during August

- Primary metal manufactures had a 13.4 per cent drop for the month Transportation equipment industry reported a decrease of 4.2 per cent in sales

= Manufacturers report a 0.3 per cent increase in inventories, a sixth consecutive monthly rise

Old Posted Oct 16, 2008, 6:09 PM
Armchair urbanist

KUB Looks For New Location
CJOB's Jeff Keele reporting
10/16/2008

Kub Bakery is in the process of looking for a new location following a fire that closed its Stella Avenue bread plant earlier this year.

Since the April fire Kub moved the bulk of its operations to its satellite Transcona location. Sales Manager Jeff Einfeld says they have now decided to look for an existing building or a different site to construct a new bread plant to replace the damaged facility on Stella Avenue. He stresses the city is encouraging them to open somewhere other than the burned out site because it is a residential neighbourhood.

Einfeld explains a central location on a truck route would be more suitable than where they are operating now in Transcona. He anticipates Kub will sell the land on Stella once the old building is demolished to help finance the new location that could be operational next summer.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2008, 5:22 PM

Chamber to unveil strategic plan today
By: Scott Gibbons

The Winnipeg Chamber of Commerce will unveil details of its new three-year strategic plan this morning.

Two major initiatives - Vision Winnipeg and Selling Winnipeg to the World - are the focus of the plan.

"The chamber's new plan is the most ambitious and bold one we have ever undertaken," said chamber president Dave Angus.

In addition, Jeffrey Hartry will be swon in by Mayor Sam Katz as new chamber chair. Hartry is the director of quality systems and information at Cangene Corporation.

The event takes place at the Winnipeg Art Gallery, beginning at 11 a.m.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2008, 6:21 PM
The Loyal Opposition

Whoa! Taxpayers praise Doer

By: Paul Samyn
Updated: October 17 at 12:34 AM CDT
Winnipeg Free Press Online

And now for something completely different – praise for Premier Gary Doer from the Canadian Taxpayers Federation.

The tax-cutting lobby group best known for firing missives at the NDP today took a moment to laud Doer for things they believe he got right in the last session.

Among the items the CTF cited was a decision to release cabinet documents after 20 years, down from the long-standing 30-year holding period and the creation of CentrePort.

“Premier Doer took his fair share of lumps in the media during the past session at the legislature,’’ the CTF said in a release.

“They were well deserved as his government watered down the Balanced Budget Act, introduced a vote tax and passed unfriendly agriculture legislation. However, it is equally important to praise the government for the initiatives that it got right.’’

The CTF also liked the introduction of fixed election dates which sets the next provincial vote for Oct. 4, 2011.

The CTF lauded the CentrePort legislation for responding to the calls from the business community to designate a large area of land around Winnipeg’s airport for the development of an inland port.

Business leaders and Doer is what got Centreport going, not Sammy 'The Underachiever' Katz. All Sammy does is jump on (or off) bandwagons that are already moving.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2008, 8:41 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

New company takes over controversial ballpark parking lot

Last Updated: Friday, October 17, 2008 | 11:58 AM CT Comments5Recommend4

CBC News

Canwest Park, home of the Northern League's Winnipeg Goldeyes baseball team, opened in 1999 just north of The Forks and east of Portage and Main. (CBC)A piece of municipally owned land at the centre of a city hall controversy last month is now back under Winnipeg city control, CBC News has learned.
Officials said the lease had expired Sept. 30 on 2.4 hectares of land near Canwest Park, home of the minor-league Goldeyes baseball team, whose majority owner is Winnipeg Mayor Sam Katz.
Imperial Parking moved in the following day to manage the site on behalf of the city.
Riverside Park Management has been renting the land, off and on, for a decade. The not-for-profit company paid $1 per year to the city for the parking lot land and the land occupied by Canwest Park; the Goldeyes team, in turn, paid rent to Riverside Park for the use of the land.
However, it recently came to light that the company paid almost nothing for the land for several years because the city had failed to legally establish the parcel of land during ongoing construction in the area.
In 2005, the right paperwork was done, but Riverside Park Management launched a dispute with the city over the land's assessed value, arguing that a recent hike in its value meant they would have to pay too much in taxes on the site.
Last month, after a bitter debate, city councillors agreed to waive $233,000 in back taxes Riverside Park Management had owed on the land. Six councillors then called on the province to investigate Riverside Park Management and its relationship to the Goldeyes baseball team and the City of Winnipeg. However, the premier rejected the request.
City officials say the land may eventually be needed by the proposed Canadian Museum for Human Rights.
Jason McRae King, the Goldeyes chief financial officer and head of Riverside Park Management, told CBC News the loss of the lot is not an issue right now, but it could be next spring, when baseball season resumes.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2008, 10:35 PM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
New company takes over controversial ballpark parking lot

Last Updated: Friday, October 17, 2008 | 11:58 AM CT Comments5Recommend4

CBC News

Canwest Park, home of the Northern League's Winnipeg Goldeyes baseball team, opened in 1999 just north of The Forks and east of Portage and Main. (CBC)A piece of municipally owned land at the centre of a city hall controversy last month is now back under Winnipeg city control, CBC News has learned.

City officials say the land may eventually be needed by the proposed Canadian Museum for Human Rights.
Jason McRae King, the Goldeyes chief financial officer and head of Riverside Park Management, told CBC News the loss of the lot is not an issue right now, but it could be next spring, when baseball season resumes.
I fully expect the city/FNP to announce the construction of a parkade/retail on that lot once the CMHR shovels hits the ground.

The city is biding there time for the CMHR project to begin. One thing to look for is wiether Riverside Ballpark Inc. invests in this new parkade project and become part owner of it.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2008, 11:19 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownWpg View Post
[I][B]
Business leaders and Doer is what got Centreport going, not Sammy 'The Underachiever' Katz. All Sammy does is jump on (or off) bandwagons that are already moving.

Mnehh, Doer hasn't done too much himself on that front.

He's had at least a decade to make the Inland Port a reality. His nickel-and-diming approach to major infrastructure projects, such as a free flowing Perimeter Hwy, shows how serious he is about making Winnipeg a major logistics hub.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2008, 4:41 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownWpg View Post
[I]Whoa! Taxpayers praise Doer

Sammy is the one who commissioned a significant study which consolidated the 3 levels of government and various business associations into one. As this moves forward much of the credit rightfully belongs to Katz. Many of which have come out and made statements along this line.

This is what happens when you have a mayor who focuses on building local business.

Last edited by newflyer; Oct 18, 2008 at 5:03 AM.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2008, 4:44 AM
Capitalist

Chamber envisions Winnipeg as world marketplace

Updated: October 17 at 03:19 PM CDT

When times are tough globally, it's time to strike locally.

It's not the new motto for the Winnipeg Chamber of Commerce, but it forms the backbone of its new three-year strategic plan that focuses on making the city a world marketplace.

Through its 'Selling Winnipeg to the World' campaign, the city's private sector will identify companies outside Manitoba that are considering opening, expanding or relocating their businesses and then sell them on the merits of Winnipeg, chamber president and CEO Dave Angus said.

"It's time to be bold, ... it's time to increase our economic capacity in the city," he said.

Manitoba has proven in recent weeks that it can withstand an economic storm, and it's time to get that message out, he said, adding the most recent manufacturing statistics have the province going against the national downward trend.

"We're shielded by some of this. The diversity of our economy is going to protect us," said Angus.

To help kick-start the plan, the city needs a signature project that can put Winnipeg on the map globally, Angus said, and the inland-port vision centred on the James Richardson airport is just such the project.

"This gets us on the radar screen," he said.

New chamber chair Jeffrey Hartry said the inland port, the longer shipping seasons in Churchill and Northwest Passage, Manitoba's place in the North America Trade Corridor and the city's historic place as a rail hub all play roles in attracting more companies.

"This is a great opportunity to link all these things," he said. Developing a comprehensive vision for Winnipeg and how the city fits into the world is the second key component to Friday's strategic plan announcement.

Called Vision Winnipeg (www.visionwinnipeg.com), the chamber will be holding public discussions that will define who residents are as Winnipeggers and where they want to stand on arts, culture, sports, human rights, urban renewal, aboriginal issues and economically.

It's essentially a blueprint for the city's future, Angus said. "We want to know what kind of city their kids are going to inherit."

Today's announcement closes the book on the previous three-year strategic plan. In 2005, the chamber set the goal of 2,008 members by 2008. It exceeded that mark in June and now has 2,016 members, a growth of 25 per ceent over the three years.

Hartry, the director of quality systems and information at Cangene Corporation, was introduced as the chamber's new chair Friday morning.

Source: Winnipeg Free Press

Old Posted Oct 18, 2008, 4:55 AM
Starring as himself

That article is like a parody of the meaningless bafflegab of civic development "vision" initiatives. I am willing to bet that 50 or 100 years from now when the history of 21st century Winnipeg is written, "Vision Winnipeg" will not be credited with any influence of any kind on anything that actually happened.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2008, 5:10 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
That article is like a parody of the meaningless bafflegab of civic development "vision" initiatives. I am willing to bet that 50 or 100 years from now when the history of 21st century Winnipeg is written, "Vision Winnipeg" will not be credited with any influence of any kind on anything that actually happened.
FYI: Vision Winnipeg has been developed by the Chamber every three years as a vision of what the city could be and as a general blue print which the chamber would like to pursue.

This is the development stage of the newest version.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2008, 5:13 AM
Density and complexity

When I had finished reading that article, I didn't know what to do first; yawn, or make farting noises.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan