HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Nov 23, 2021, 8:58 AM
Hong Kong

hkskyline's post COVID trip to MONTREAL

With the pandemic keeping the US land border closed and too many cases there to entice me to fly there, I opted for a long weekend in Montreal. No border crossing to worry about or costly PCR tests to take.

I've been to Montreal multiple times before, with my last visit in 2017, so this trip is intended to see the city's more off-the-beaten track attractions and eat some good food.

I like to visit markets during my travels, and with Halloween around the corner, the pumpkin displays are unique to the season and colourful.

Habitat 67 was designed by Israeli-Canadian architect Moshe Safdie as the Canadian Pavilion for the World Expo. Built on an artificial peninsula, the buildings showcased an example of high quality and affordable homes in a dense urban setting using prefabricated modular technology (the "boxes").

Being right next to the water with no other big buildings nearby, even the lower floors get to enjoy river and skyline views.

Montreal is famous for its bagels, and I tried 2 famous institutions to find both are delicious.

St-Viateur has been baking bagels for over 60 years and remains a family-owned business. Myer Lewkowicz came to Canada from Germany in 1953 and got a job at a bakery in Montreal. They set up their own shop years later. Today's owner worked for the Myer to continue the tradition.

Fairmount Bagel's history dates back to 1919 when Isadore Shlafman opened the Montreal Bagel Bakery. It moved to Fairmount Street in 1949, with the owner living upstairs. Its bagels continue to be made by hand and baked in wood-fired ovens, and the bakery is still managed by the same family today.

For a taste of fine dining, I returned to Bonaparte in Old Montreal, which is housed in a historic building from 1886. I last came back in my school days and this time I tried the tasting menu to sample a bit of everything.

More photos on my website : http://www.globalphotos.org/montreal.htm

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos