HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 18, 2023, 1:46 AM

Very curious to see if we can beat the US twice in a row. If so then we're almost equals then.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2023, 7:39 PM

Canada announce squad for the 2023 Concacaf Gold Cup
canadasoccer.com June 19, 2023

Canada have announced their squad for the 2023 Concacaf Gold Cup, the confederation’s championship for National Teams that runs this summer from June 27th in Toronto through to the Concacaf Final on July 16th at SoFi Stadium in Inglewood, California near Los Angeles. Coach John Herdman has selected a squad of 23 footballers that features a mix of returning stars and Concacaf Gold Cup debutants.

All of Canada’s matches at the 2023 Concacaf Gold Cup will be broadcast in Canada LIVE via OneSoccer, available as a linear channel on Telus’ Optik TV (Channel 980), on the fuboTV Canada platform as well as online at OneSoccer.ca, and through the OneSoccer app. Fans will find extended coverage for the matches across Canada Soccer’s digital channels on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, TikTok, and YouTube featuring the hashtag #CANMNT.

Canada will open their 2023 Concacaf Gold Cup on Tuesday June 27th in Toronto against the winner of the Guadeloupe-Guyana Preliminary Round match (to be played June 20th). From there, Canada will head to Houston where they will face Guatemala on Saturday July 1st and then Cuba on Tuesday July 4th. From the four nations in Group D, the top two will advance to the Concacaf Gold Cup Quarterfinals scheduled for Sunday July 9th in Cincinnati, Ohio. The Concacaf Semifinals are Wednesday July 12th in San Diego, California and Paradise, Nevada near Las Vegas, just four days ahead of the Sunday Concacaf Final.

Tickets for the Tuesday June 27th match in Toronto are on sale now via Concacaf.com/gold-cup/tickets.

CANADA’S SQUAD FOR THE CONCACAF GOLD CUP
For the second Concacaf Gold Cup in a row, there is a near even split of 12 returning players and 11 tournament debutants. Of note, Jonathan Osorio is just the third six-time participant (after retired stars Julian de Guzman and Atiba Hutchinson) while Milan Borjan is the 12th five-time participant (third goalkeeper after Pat Onstad and Lars Hirschfeld).

Along with Borjan and Osorio, there are four other veterans taking part in their third of fourth Concacaf Gold Cup: forwards Lucas Cavallini and Junior Hoilett (fourth each) as well as centre backs Kamal Miller and Steven Steven Vitória (third each). Borjan, Hoilett, Osorio and Vitória have all worn Canada’s captain’s armband in the past while all six players were part of the recent Concacaf Nations League Finals as well as last year’s FIFA World Cup in Qatar.

In all, 16 of the 23 players were part of the recent Concacaf Nations League Finals squad in June while 12 of the 23 were part of last year’s FIFA World Cup in November.

The six other returning players to this year’s Concacaf Gold Cup squad are Samuel Adekugbe, Zachary Brault-Guillard, Richie Laryea, Liam Millar and Dayne St. Clair.

From the group of 11 Concacaf Gold Cup debutants, Scott Kennedy and David Wotherspoon were both part of the Concacaf Nations League Finals and both would have been part of the FIFA World Cup had it not been for Kennedy’s injury (Wotherspoon featured in Canada’s last group match). Two other Concacaf Gold Cup debutants, Charles-Andreas Brym and Jacob Shaffelburg, were part of FIFA World Cup Qualifiers in 2021-22.

The seven other debutants are all hoping to make their international “A” debuts with Canada. Centre back Moïse Bombito, midfielder Victor Loturi, goalkeeper Tom McGill and right back Dominick Zator were all part of the recent Concacaf Nations League Finals, but they have yet to make their “A” debuts. Winger Ali Ahmed, centre back Zac McGraw and forward Jacen Russell-Rowe are also hoping to making their “A” debuts, but are also making their first appearance at a Concacaf tournament.

Russell-Rowe from Columbus Crew SC is the youngest player in the squad at age 20. He is a graduate from the FIFA U-17 World Cup Brazil 2019 and he was the 2022 MLS NEXT Pro top goalscorer with 21 goals. The next two youngest at age 22 are Victor Loturi of Ross County FC who recently led all Canadians in the Scottish Premiership minutes Ali Ahmed of Vancouver Whitecaps FC who won the 2023 Canadian Championship Best Young Player Award.

At age 23, Moïse Bombito is a pro rookie with the Colorado Rapids in MLS, Tom McGill is a goalkeeper with England Premier League side Brighton & Hove Albion, Jacob Shaffelburg is a winger with Nashville SC who previously won the Canadian Championship Best Young Player Award in 2021, and Liam Millar is a FIFA World Cup winger who helped FC Basel reach the Semifinals in 2022-23 UEFA Conference League.

While Canada’s squad does feature a mix of experienced stars and young talents, the summer tournament will miss a few key stars that will remain in Europe to prepare for the 2023-24 pre-season with existing or new clubs. From Canada’s recent Concacaf Silver Medal performance at the Concacaf Nations League Finals, six players that will miss the Concacaf Gold Cup are Tajon Buchanan, Jonathan David, Alphonso Davies, Alistair Johnston, Ismaël Koné and Cyle Larin.

CANADA
GK- Milan Borjan | SRB / FK Crvena zvezda (Red Star Belgrade)
GK- Tom McGill | ENG / Brighton & Hove Albion FC
GK- Dayne St. Clair | USA / Minnesota United FC
CB- Moïse Bombito | USA / Colorado Rapids
CB- Scott Kennedy | GER / SSV Jahn Regensburg
CB- Zachary McGraw | USA / Portland Timbers
CB- Steven Vitória | POR / GD Chaves
CB- Dominick Zator | POL / Korona Kielce
FB- Samuel Adekugbe | TUR / Galatasaray SK
FB- Zachary Brault-Guillard | CAN / CF Montréal
FB- Richie Laryea | CAN / Toronto FC
FB- Kamal Miller | USA / Inter Miami FC
M- Ali Ahmed | Vancouver Whitecaps FC
M- Stephen Eustáquio | POR / FC Porto
M- Victor Loturi | SCO / Ross County FC
M- Jonathan Osorio | CAN / Toronto FC
M- David Wotherspoon | Unattached / sans club
F- David Junior Hoilett | ENG / Reading FC
F- Charles-Andreas Brym | NED / FC Eindhoven
F- Lucas Cavallini | MEX / Club Tijuana
F- Liam Millar | SUI / FC Basel
F- Jacen Russell-Rowe | USA / Columbus Crew
F- Jacob Shaffelburg | USA / Nashville SC

Old Posted Jun 26, 2023, 6:07 AM

Old Posted Jul 4, 2023, 9:41 PM

Spme CMNT player moves: Ike Ugbo will be joining Cardiff City FC in the English Championship, Theo Corbeanu is off to Grasshoppers Zurich in the Swiss Super League and Scott Kennedy looks to be joining Wolfsberger AC in the Austrian Bundesliga.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2023, 1:47 PM

Old Posted Jul 26, 2023, 2:01 PM
Community Guy

Canada with a BIG 2-1 win over Ireland!

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jul 31, 2023, 12:35 PM
Community Guy

Buh bye; sadly, another less than impressive result.
https://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/wor...ecap-1.6922758

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jul 31, 2023, 3:02 PM

At least we still lead the world when it comes to national teams whinging about not getting their fair share.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2023, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
At least we still lead the world when it comes to national teams whinging about not getting their fair share.
For decades, I used to be the biggest supporter of women's sports, often going against guys just saying stupid shit like the old "only watch the best routine"

I have to say, I am now so turned off by the politics that has overtaken women's sports (to the point of incredulity) I can't stand to watch anymore. The one that really started it for me was the resignation of the women's rugby 7's coach. They were a successful team and then the modern female bullshit started which almost made it sound like the coach was an abuser. Then it came out that the players (probably a few Rapinoe types) wanted to get rid of him because he "fostered a competitive atmosphere" and the usual tropes of bullying and harassment because he brought new players in. If I have this wrong someone please correct me because I don't know if the real story came out. There were no penalties against the coach and from what I read he just said fck it I don't need this and resigned and the team has been crap since. They got beaten and then the head of development tweeted something like karma is a bitch and he got the axe.

Unfortunately, much of the "reporting" on this is from the CBC so I don't need to tell you there will be another side of the story missing.

Last edited by elly63; Jul 31, 2023 at 4:06 PM.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2023, 3:51 PM

^ It's not just the women's team, the men's team excels at bellyaching too. Last I heard one of their players was griping about having to fly economy for some MNT duty.

I think they get so much press coverage of all their grievances that they feel empowered to complain about everything not realizing how petty and self-obsessed it makes them look to the average fan.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2023, 4:12 PM

Also, early rumours of Jonathan David to Juventus.

Last edited by elly63; Aug 1, 2023 at 7:47 PM.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2023, 9:45 PM

Frankly that's an embarrassing loss by the women today. Not even close. With a declining Sinclair and no heir apparent (despite the media hyping up Huitema like she will be lol) I predict a big drop in their rankings in the coming years. There is very little offensive talent on the team.

The men's and women's teams beef with CSA and funding is real and mostly justified. The organization is spending a large amount of money funding the teams in the Canadian Premier League who would otherwise being losing millions each (with the exception of one or two teams) if not for the subsidies. This means there is less money for the men and women's national teams and there is a good chance it affects the quality of team play in the coming years.

Speaking of the Canadian Premier League, the Winnipeg Valour continue their proud tradition of terrible play getting blown out by Pacific FC at home. They are the lowest scoring team in the league and would be in last place if not for the expansion team in Vancouver.

For as good of a job as Wade Miller has done with restoring the Blue Bomber brand in the CFL, he has been equally terrible as the official head of the Winnipeg Valour. The team is the only CPL team that has failed to qualify for the playoffs.

I visit a soccer forum on occasion and the consensus going into the season was that the Valour has little offensive talent and would struggle to score goals. Sure enough that was the case. Many there believe Miller is being extremely tight with the budget as he refuses to spend a few extra hundred thousand a year to bring in some decent talent.

There is also a belief among some on the forum that the large number of injuries suffered by the Valour is partially due to the substandard turf at Ig Field which is going on 11 years old. Whether that is in fact the case or some level of conspiratorial TFC Red Patch Forum - like bitching from the local soccer fanbase, I don't know. For the record, cities that built newer stadiums than IG field like Hamilton and Ottawa already replaced their turf recently after only like 7 or so years of use.

I wonder if part of Miller's salary or bonuses is predicated on the Bomber's annual profits? Buying a new rug would cut into those profits which I imagine would be to the tune of $2 - $3 million. The Bombers could always pay it off over 3 or 4 years though. Maybe they are waiting until they host the Grey Cup which imo is a little too long.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2023, 7:48 PM

It's official, Cyle Larin to RCD Mallorca of La Liga

Video Link

Old Posted Aug 8, 2023, 2:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post

The men's and women's teams beef with CSA and funding is real and mostly justified. The organization is spending a large amount of money funding the teams in the Canadian Premier League who would otherwise being losing millions each (with the exception of one or two teams) if not for the subsidies. This means there is less money for the men and women's national teams and there is a good chance it affects the quality of team play in the coming years.

Speaking of the Canadian Premier League, the Winnipeg Valour continue their proud tradition of terrible play getting blown out by Pacific FC at home. They are the lowest scoring team in the league and would be in last place if not for the expansion team in Vancouver.

For as good of a job as Wade Miller has done with restoring the Blue Bomber brand in the CFL, he has been equally terrible as the official head of the Winnipeg Valour. The team is the only CPL team that has failed to qualify for the playoffs.

I visit a soccer forum on occasion and the consensus going into the season was that the Valour has little offensive talent and would struggle to score goals. Sure enough that was the case. Many there believe Miller is being extremely tight with the budget as he refuses to spend a few extra hundred thousand a year to bring in some decent talent.

There is also a belief among some on the forum that the large number of injuries suffered by the Valour is partially due to the substandard turf at Ig Field which is going on 11 years old. Whether that is in fact the case or some level of conspiratorial TFC Red Patch Forum - like bitching from the local soccer fanbase, I don't know. For the record, cities that built newer stadiums than IG field like Hamilton and Ottawa already replaced their turf recently after only like 7 or so years of use.

I wonder if part of Miller's salary or bonuses is predicated on the Bomber's annual profits? Buying a new rug would cut into those profits which I imagine would be to the tune of $2 - $3 million. The Bombers could always pay it off over 3 or 4 years though. Maybe they are waiting until they host the Grey Cup which imo is a little too long.
Canada Soccer isn't spending huge money to fund the CPL. The beef for those against the Cdn Soccer Business (CSB) is that they're using some of the potential sponsorship & media rights money for the national teams to fund the CPL.

Though, most fail to say that Canada Soccer was never adept at drumming up sponsors ex when they hosted WWC 15. And there was no media rights money pre One Soccer since TSN/SN didn't pay for rights or production. Canada Soccer also has about 12 other levers to pull which they also have never been adept at optimizing. But hosting 2026 will give them their biggest revenue windfall ever.

For Valour, you can add the Bombers don't understand how to connect with supporter groups and build a proper matchday experience. They think they're running a reserve CFL team.

Miller continues to blame the fans for not attending, kick out people who use smoke when it is used in every other CPL stadium, marketing head is in denial and gets in social media beefs with supporters

Old Posted Aug 20, 2023, 9:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gattaca View Post
Miller continues to blame the fans for not attending, kick out people who use smoke when it is used in every other CPL stadium, marketing head is in denial and gets in social media beefs with supporters
Why do they ban it if others don't? There are very conspicuous signs about that at the stadium, but honestly, what difference does it make... Assuming the product isn't harmful in some way, why not just restrict it to the supporters section, or some such?

Old Posted Sep 1, 2023, 11:13 PM

Canada's Liam Millar moves from Swiss League club FC Basel to English Championship team Preston North End.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2023, 4:09 PM

Old Posted Sep 16, 2023, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Canada's Liam Millar moves from Swiss League club FC Basel to English Championship team Preston North End.
Millar scores and gets an assist in his debut game to earn POTM. PNE sits in first place.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2023, 3:21 PM

Canada Soccer unveils Men’s National Team squad for Japan Friendly
canadasoccer.com October 05, 2023

Canada’s 23-man squad features players from professional clubs in nine different countries.

Canada announced today their squad for the upcoming international friendly against Japan officially named the Mizuho Blue Dream Match 2023. Canada will face FIFA number 19 ranked Japan in a match on Friday 13 October (19.35 local / 06.35 ET / 03.35 PT) at the Denka Big Swan Stadium. Interim Head Coach Mauro Biello has selected a 23-player roster to travel to Niigata, Japan.

“I am excited about this roster as there is a good mix of experience and young talent that will allow us to compete against a very good opponent,” said Mauro Biello, Canada Soccer’s Men’s National Team interim Head Coach. “This is an opportunity to bring our group together and build on our cohesion and tactical discipline. Japan will be a great test for us as we prepare for the Concacaf Nations League Quarter-final in November.”

Canada and Japan have met three times in international ‘A’ competition. Canada has a 1-0-2 record, winning the most recent match between the two sides 2:1, on 17 November 2022, leading into the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022™.

Canada will use the October window as part of its ongoing preparation for the 2023/2024 Concacaf Nations League which serves as the qualifier for Concacaf teams participating in the CONMEBOL Copa America 2024. Canada has been drawn directly into the quarter-final stage of the Concacaf Nations League which will be played in a home-and-away format during the November FIFA Match Window.

CANADA’S SQUAD ​
​Canada’s 23-man squad for the Mizuho Blue Dream Match features footballers from professional clubs in nine different countries. The camp features 15 players from the Concacaf Nations League final and includes the first-time call-up Luc de Fougerolles.

Canada’s three goalkeepers are Milan Borjan of Red Slovan Bratislava, Maxime Crépeau from Los Angeles FC, and Dayne St. Clair from Minnesota United FC.

At the back, Canada have centre backs Moïse Bombito from Colorado Rapids, Derek Cornelius from Malmö FF, Steven Vitória from GD Chaves, and Kamal Miller from Inter Miami CF as well as outside fullbacks Samuel Adekugbe from Vancouver Whitecaps FC, de Fougerolles from Fulham FC U18, Alistair Johnston from Celtic FC, Richie Laryea from Vancouver Whitecaps FC, and Alphonso Davies from FC Bayern Munich.

From the midfield up through to the attack, Canada have Mathieu Choinière from CF Montréal, Stephen Eustáquio from FC Porto, Junior Hoilett from Vancouver Whitecaps FC, Ismaël Koné from Watford FC, Jonathan Osorio from Toronto FC, Harry Paton from Motherwell FC, Samuel Piette from CF Montréal, Charles-Andreas Brym from Sparta Rotterdam, Jonathan David from Lille OSC, Cyle Larin from RCD Mallorca, Liam Millar from Preston North End FC.

BROADCAST INFORMATION ​ ​
​The Mizuho Blue Dream Match will be broadcast in Canada LIVE via OneSoccer, available as a linear channel on Telus’ Optik TV (Channel 980), on the fuboTV Canada platform as well as online at OneSoccer.ca, and through the OneSoccer app. Fans will find extended coverage for the matches across Canada Soccer’s digital channels on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, TikTok, and YouTube featuring the hashtag #CANMNT.

CANADA SQUAD
​GK -Milan Borjan ​ |SLO / Slovan Bratislava
​GK- Maxime Crépeau | USA / Los Angeles FC
​GK- Dayne St. Clair | USA / Minnesota United FC
​CB- Moïse Bombito | USA / Colorado Rapids
​CB- Derek Cornelius | SWE / Malmö FF
​CB- Steven Vitória | POR / GD Chaves
​CB/FB- Kamal Miller | USA ​ / Inter Miami CF ​
​CB/FB- Luc de Fougerolles | ENG / Fullham FC U18
​CB/FB- Alistair Johnston | SCO / Celtic FC
​FB- Samuel Adekugbe | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC
​FB- Richie Laryea | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC
​FB – Alphonso Davies | GER / FC Bayern München
​M- Mathieu Choinière | CAN / CF Montréal
​M- Stephen Eustáquio | POR / FC Porto
​M- Ismaël Koné | ENG / Watford FC
​M- Jonathan Osorio | CAN / Toronto FC
​M- Harry Paton | SCO / Motherwell FC
​M- Samuel Piette | CAN / CF Montréal
​M/F- David Junior Hoilett | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC
​FB/F- Liam Millar | ENG / Preston North End FC
​F- Charles-Andreas Brym | NED / Sparta Rotterdam
​F- Jonathan David | FRA / Lille OSC
​F- Cyle Larin | ESP / RCD Mallorca

Old Posted Oct 22, 2023, 6:49 AM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada