HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Dec 20, 2022, 1:05 AM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewave46 View Post
I wonder if England will ever get to a point where they’re like the Chicago Cubs? Loveable losers.
I may be a hopeless anglophile, and I follow the English national team more closely than the Canadian one (that'll change somewhat now), but I started to hate that guy with the trumpet playing "God Save the Queen/King" during England matches. I can totally see non-English people and fans finding it irritating.

The vuvuzelas in South Africa in 2010 were awful, but I think that lone bloke with the trumpet this year takes a close second when it comes to annoying disturbances ruining the enjoyment of a football match.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2022, 1:44 AM

Old Posted Dec 22, 2022, 3:23 AM

Old Posted Dec 22, 2022, 6:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
This should be a quadrennial occurrence, would give Canada two really meaningful tournaments every four years instead of only the World Cup

Old Posted Dec 23, 2022, 5:10 PM

Marco Bustos joins Derek Cornelius in the Swedish Allsvenskan, signing with IFK Värnamo. Edit: Now confirmed

Last edited by elly63; Dec 28, 2022 at 12:23 PM.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2022, 5:12 PM

Soccer legend Pelè passed away yesterday. RIP

Old Posted Jan 2, 2023, 4:59 AM

Old Posted Jan 2, 2023, 5:04 AM

Old Posted Jan 2, 2023, 4:41 PM

David scores today vs Reims

Old Posted Jan 5, 2023, 3:23 AM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
No. Latin Americans tend not to transpose their football allegiances from what I've seen, and they are particularly not disposed to liking or being sympathetic to Argentina. The straw poll I did in the last couple of weeks of Latin Americans I am acquainted with, regarding the question of whom to support in the final, was not unexpectedly unanimous in support of France, and included many side eyes and scrunched eyebrows when I asked, jokingly, why not Argentina?
Following up, I just saw this factoid:

https://twitter.com/yuanyi_z/status/...P8UI4qXNryR6bw

Old Posted Jan 5, 2023, 3:36 AM
Community Guy

I should have posted this earlier, but it was super cool to see A.Davies at the Oilers game pre-Christmas.

He was hanging out in the Katz box.

My father ran into him at the YEG AC lounge two days ago.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jan 5, 2023, 5:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammon View Post
This tournament has highlighted a bunch of developments in my mind:

1) Europe is no longer the hotbed for football talent. The rest of the world has caught up and now can more than compete with European giants. If they are going with additional teams for the 2026 WC, I would hope it is mostly allotted to Asia, Africa, CONMEBOL and CONCACAF.
Have you bothered to research FIFA World Cup history? Europe is still a hotbed of football talent. South America has always been a hotbed of football talent as well. It's always been European and South American teams in the Final. That has not chanced in a century.

Quote:
4) South America is no longer as dominant as they once were. Only 4 teams made it in after Peru was defeated by the Aussies. In years past, the South American teams would have demolished an Asian or CONCACAF team. Outside of Brazil and Argentina, I would classify the South American teams as quite "meh."
South America (along with Europe), still more often than not, makes the World Cup Final. Argentina won the cup. Australia has been competitive for decades. As for CONCACAF, what has changed in the last 40 years? They still are the weak link compared to other nations, and this World Cup proved that CONCACAF has made absolutely no progress in decades.

Just curious. Are you sure you are not referring to another sport?

Old Posted Jan 5, 2023, 10:21 PM

Toronto should drop out of co-hosting the 2026 World Cup. BMO Field is a Mickey-Mouse embarrassment compared to the 15 other cities' stadia.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2023, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gresto View Post
Toronto should drop out of co-hosting the 2026 World Cup. BMO Field is a Mickey-Mouse embarrassment compared to the 15 other cities' stadia.
Agreed. Do the right thing and bend the knee to Edmonton. Commonwealth Stadium is far more big-league at more than 56,000 seats and would fit in quite well with the 60,000 plus thousand seat stadiums in the US and Mexico. No need for crappy temp seating.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2023, 3:53 AM

Odd and Ends

Serie A's Bologna (owned by CF Montreal's Joey Saputo) has been watching CF Montreal forward Chris Rea.

Two SPL games and two Team of the Week Awards for Celtic's Alistair Johnston who in short time seems to be the Celtic go to media guy.

Former Whitecap Michael Baldisimo has joined the San Jose Earthquakes.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2023, 4:06 AM

Montreal hires and fires the same person in 24 hours.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2023, 3:34 AM

Alistair Johnston and Ismael Kone seem to be off to a good start with Celtic and Watford respectively. In other news, and IMO this is good news (to get him outta England)

Old Posted Jan 21, 2023, 4:24 AM

Corbeanu's loan to Arminia Bielefeld has been confirmed, now awaiting news on Larin to La Liga's Cadiz or PAOK in Greece.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2023, 11:29 PM

Larin to sign with Valladolid on loan from Brugge
TSN Staff tsn.ca January 22 2023

Canadian forward Cyle Larin has decided to sign with La Liga's Real Valladolid on a loan from his current Belgian-side Brugge, according to Fabrizio Romano. The deal is pending his physical.

The 27-year-old also had offers from La Liga's Cadiz and Greece's Super League PAOK.

Larin signed with Brugge in 2022 and appeared in 13 games, scoring only one goal, well short of his performance with the Canada Men's National Team where he scored 25 goals in 57 appearances, including leading the team in scoring in the 2022 FIFA World Cup CONCACAF qualifiers.

The Brampton, Ont., native went to Belgium after a two-year stint with Turkish-side Besiktas, where he tallied 39 goals and 9 assists in 109 matches.

The Canadian striker also played for Orlando City SC of the MLS after a college career at the University of Connecticut.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2023, 11:32 PM

Saw these at Shoppers, all for $3. Get ahead and don't wait for 3.5 years from now. Just have to remember in 2026 that you have these stored somewhere. And you'll only have a 50/50 chance of finding them. Or bring them out for the Gold Cup and Copa America. Though most people will be wondering why you have these on your car.

If I were in my 20s still I'd buy all of this. But not a car flag guy anymore. Had a couple and both broke. And the flapping sound would probably annoy me now. That big magnet was really attracting me like a magnet. It's big enough to put on the door instead of the back. But I've learned to control myself now and not buy so much unnecessary things. That 3x5 flag though is a pretty sick deal. But where would I ever hang it? I don't have a man cave.

I also got this small sticker. Don't even know what to do with it. My cousin's wife in the team manager on their daughter's team and she was given a big stack of these.

And lastly, got this Argentina kit for 5 bucks. Perfectly goes along with the $5 Brazil kit I got for the other kid last May. There's people selling jerseys, full kits and whatever for 30-50 bucks for things that are worth $5. I get it, people aim high, especially when they don't know the market or haven't bothered looking for existing listings. They should be worth more than $5, but there's very few people like me looking for things like this. Especially when your kid is only going to wear it a couple of times. Both of these and almost all of the $5 jerseys I bought were listed for weeks or months. And I would get them when I happened to be passing by that way in Markham, or Whitby or Hamilton or wherever.

Funny thing is, this woman selling the ARG kit said she also has Brazil, Real and Barca. Then I showed her a pic showing I had four jerseys for those teams already. Funny that we both have the same things. Two of the few people.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada