HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 25, 2022, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Hearing there are some rumblings in the locker room about Alphonso Davies often playing like he is a one-man-team and wants to do it all himself. I mean, he is the best player on the team, but still...

Also, Serbia are pissed at the Canadian coach saying "we're gonna fuck them up", in anticipation of the game on the weekend.
I don't think there are locker room rumblings but considering he missed half of WCQ and we did ok and the rest of the team seem to up their game when he is not around does tell a tale.

Having said that, the team played well against Belgium with him in the lineup, he creates space and makes the other team plan and worry about him. I knew it was a mistake for him to take the penalty, I still think there is an immaturity to his character, but after all he is still a very young man. There is probably some lingering hurt around the PK which had it been successful could have changed so much, but what's done is done.

Herdman explained why he said what he said, I think you have to have that attitude and be at a level where you have to back it up. The underdog role of 1986, just doesn't suit them anymore, we're beyond that and if we're not we have to get beyond that. This is a good start, the attitude not the loss.

Serbia, Croatia, potato, potata, tomato, tomata.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2022, 3:48 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
I don't think there are locker room rumblings but considering he missed half of WCQ and we did ok and the rest of the team seem to up their game when he is not around does tell a tale.

Having said that, the team played well against Belgium with him in the lineup, he creates space and makes the other team plan and worry about him. I knew it was a mistake for him to take the penalty, I still think there is an immaturity to his character, but after all he is still a very young man. There is probably some lingering hurt around the PK which had it been successful could have changed so much, but what's done is done.

Herdman explained why he said what he said, I think you have to have that attitude and be at a level where you have to back it up. The underdog role of 1986, just doesn't suit them anymore, we're beyond that and if we're not we have to get beyond that. This is a good start, the attitude not the loss.

Serbia, Croatia,
potato, potata, tomato, tomata.
Oh yeah, oops!

Old Posted Nov 25, 2022, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Serbia, Croatia, potato, potata, tomato, tomata.
Their flags are kind of similar. LOL

Old Posted Nov 25, 2022, 3:57 PM
arf

Countries that have been to the World Cup with no goals:
  • Canada, 4GP
  • Trinidad & Tobago, 3GP
  • China, 3GP
  • Congo DR, 3GP
  • Indonesia (Netherlands India), 1GP

Okay, so what is the story behind Netherlands India only have 1 game played? They are the only team to not have played at least 3 games.

And here is that story...craziness.
The Only Match the Dutch East Indies Played at the World Cup

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Nov 25, 2022, 4:01 PM

Mixed emotions on Johnston going to Celtic and Kone to Watford (if they happen)

Celtic, while being a world renowned club and Champions and Europa League contestant, play in the SPL which may or may not be above the level of MLS once you get beyond the Old Firm. But if Johnston can parlay that into a stepping stone, all will be well.

As for Kone, I've never been much of a fan for the English leagues as a developmental route for Canadian players. I much prefer Ger/Bel/Hol but we'll have to wait and see what unfolds.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2022, 4:12 PM
Community Guy

Off to the pub with the local English supporters today for their game against the US.

Hoping for a 3-1 victory.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Nov 25, 2022, 4:16 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito View Post
Their flags are kind of similar. LOL
They had the same flag for some time. Apparently having the same flag wasn't enough to overcome ingrained hatred of each other.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2022, 3:37 PM
Community Guy

Morocco beats Belgium!

Huge pressure on Canada today.

Off to our local for a World Cup brunch.

GO CANADA GO

Old Posted Nov 27, 2022, 4:12 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Gooooaaaaallllllllllllll.............

Old Posted Nov 27, 2022, 4:51 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Oh shit (x2)..........

Old Posted Nov 27, 2022, 5:23 PM

Painful.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2022, 6:09 PM

Disappointing but not unexpected.

We're good enough to make the World Cup, but just not good enough to pose a real threat - not by a longshot.

Time to watch some real football. Enough of this soccer nonsense.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2022, 6:24 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
Disappointing but not unexpected.

We're good enough to make the World Cup, but just not good enough to pose a real threat - not by a longshot.

Don't be a jerkoff. There's lots more real football to come.

But yeah, Croatia were simply the better team. A humbling reality, that.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2022, 6:31 PM
Community Guy

Very happy about A.D. getting the first goal, but yes, we were outclassed.

Learn from, build upon, come back for our home World Cup in 4.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2022, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post

Wow, how kind that you deigned to weigh in on such an inferior and un-American sport.

-

Too bad for Canada missing that penalty against Belgium, who deserve to join us in leaving Qatar. At least we've had a good showing and electrifying debut on the world stage. Heads held fairly high against tough opposition, and surely lots of growth ahead before the real show in 2026.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2022, 6:58 PM

Still proud of this team (was always going to be since 27% of the team comes from my hometown lol). Too bad we had to start with Belgium. Being that highly ranked (though we all know they were slowing down) team could very well have played a psychological factor and made for nervous finishing, like the penalty. If they had started with one of the other two teams, who knows, could have gotten a point or three and build off that.

At least these boys showed the world that Canada can ball. I've never seen footage from '86 but I'd imagine the gulf between them and the world was quite evident. There's not a whole lot with this team. Let's get a golden generation going here like with Belgium now and Greece in recent times. Consistently qualify and make the occasional deep run. I'd be delighted with a Gold Cup triumph.

Family still going to rock the Canada gear at the mall today. Speaking of that, as expected, far fewer car flags and jerseys this time around due to being a winter WC for us. Don't get that vibe and energy passing by patios of fans watching the game.

This guy in Vaughan is continuing his tradition though. Flag for every WC team on his house:

Last edited by megadude; Nov 27, 2022 at 7:18 PM.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2022, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoflyzone View Post
Nahh. Saudi beating Messi was a bigger upset.
Germany's present team is nothing to write home about, but historically, Germany is a close second to Brazil in all-time World Cup stats. One fewer World Cups (5-4), slightly fewer total goals, but more appearances in the finals. Japan, historically, is a nothing team, as are the Saudis. They are right down there with Canada.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2022, 9:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savevp View Post
Wow, how kind that you deigned to weigh in on such an inferior and un-American sport.
Sorry, just not a fan of soccer. But I did watch both Canada games as I was obviously rooting for them. And now that Canada is out - I have no reason to watch any other games. Was hoping that I'd get to watch them in the next round.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2022, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
Speaking of that, as expected, far fewer car flags and jerseys this time around due to being a winter WC for us. Don't get that vibe and energy passing by patios of fans watching the game.
Agreed... I noticed that as well. There's A LOT less hoopla over the World Cup in the streets this time out.
And I can't dismiss it being due to Italy's not being in it (there are a lot of vocal/annoying Italy soccer fans here) as they weren't in it last WC and there was still a lot more buzz about it.
I have to believe it's due to the time of the year simply because there should be more buzz about it (the most even) since Canada's finally in it.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2022, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gresto View Post
Germany's present team is nothing to write home about, but historically, Germany is a close second to Brazil in all-time World Cup stats. One fewer World Cups (5-4), slightly fewer total goals, but more appearances in the finals. Japan, historically, is a nothing team, as are the Saudis. They are right down there with Canada.
I disagree.

Japan is not a nothing team. They’re currently ranked 24th in the world, and have historically been as high as 9th in the FIFA rankings. They’ve made the round of 16 in 3 of the last 5 World Cups. That shows they have the skill and character needed to be a threat.

Canada and Saudi Arabia have historically been nothing teams, yes. Not Japan.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada