HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted May 15, 2019, 1:54 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by el don View Post
K-8 Schools and New Academic Building for College of Nursing
and Health Professions to rise on Drexel Campus

Dear Members of the Drexel Community:
A transformational development will rise on the Drexel campus over the next several years, providing a new home for two high-performing and innovative West Philadelphia public schools, and bringing the College of Nursing and Health Professions from Center City to University City.

I'm pleased to announce that Drexel has entered into an agreement with developer Wexford Science & Technology, LLC for the design and construction of two buildings on the former University City High School site, on the western end of the University City campus at 36th and Filbert streets, with financing provided by Ventas, Inc. These two projects will bring more dynamism to our campus and further connect us with our neighboring community.

Up first: the design and construction of a $38 million home for the Powel Elementary School and the Science Leadership Academy Middle School. The school project is nearly fully funded through a combination of private and public funding secured by Drexel, aided by generous contributions from the Lenfest Foundation and now, Wexford and Ventas. The final funds needed to start the project will be sought from other public sources.

Once all the funding is in hand, construction on the K-8 facility is expected to begin later this year and be completed in time for the 2020-2021 school year. The School District of Philadelphia will lease the building from Drexel and the facility will house both the Powel School, currently at 36th Street and Powelton Avenue, and the Science Leadership Academy Middle School, which opened in 2016 at Drexel's Dornsife Center for Neighborhood Partnerships and recently moved into space at 3600 Market Street.
The second project is an academic building to house Drexel's College of Nursing and Health Professions, which will relocate from Center City under a long-term lease agreement with Wexford. Under the terms, Wexford will finance, develop, and construct the building for occupancy in 2022.

The College of Nursing and Health Professions is currently located at Three Parkway and two other buildings in Center City. Its move to University City will enable the College to consolidate academic and research programs, and allow its students, faculty and professional staff to have easier access to the full resources of the University, including the libraries, fitness center, theaters, athletic fields, student organizations, dining facilities and more. In addition to providing state-of-the-art academic facilities, the new building also will facilitate greater collaboration between the College and Drexel's other colleges and schools.

The two projects will further our roots as an anchor institution in West Philadelphia that is focused on both innovation and inclusion. I hope you share my excitement in looking ahead to groundbreaking ceremonies for these two pivotal additions to our campus community.
Sincerely,
John Fry
President

This message was sent to Drexel Official Mail. See more information here.
This message to Drexel Official Mail was approved under the authority of
John Fry, President.
Wow. Major.

Old Posted May 15, 2019, 4:35 PM
Cory Trevor Leahy

New rendering of 4224 Baltimore

Old Posted May 15, 2019, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaamazarite View Post
New rendering of 4224 Baltimore
You sure that is up to date? The website that image comes from has "copyright 2005" at the bottom.

Old Posted May 15, 2019, 4:45 PM
Cory Trevor Leahy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
You sure that is up to date? The website that image comes from has "copyright 2005" at the bottom.
Not entirely sure, but Barton Partners is now the architect for the project. The owner bought the site in 2008 and the drawing basically matches the description in the permit

Old Posted May 16, 2019, 2:49 PM

Well, there will be one more new HQ in Center City--at least for a while:

Joe Biden chooses Philadelphia for 2020 presidential campaign headquarters

Quote:
The national headquarters, which will be in Center City, will have around 50 staffers to start, a number that could grow as the campaign goes on, and especially if Biden wins the Democratic nomination. The site will become the day-to-day nerve center for Biden’s strategic planning, media team, and others.

Old Posted May 16, 2019, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Fan View Post
Well, there will be one more new HQ in Center City--at least for a while:

Joe Biden chooses Philadelphia for 2020 presidential campaign headquarters
Ugh. Some of the comments on that article are really disturbing...one even described T-rump as a "good-looking, successful, bad boy type..."

Old Posted May 16, 2019, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
Ugh. Some of the comments on that article are really disturbing...one even described T-rump as a "good-looking, successful, bad boy type..."
Your first mistake is reading the comments on Philly.com.

Old Posted May 16, 2019, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reparcsyks View Post
Your first mistake is reading the comments on Philly.com.
I had no idea there were that many right-wingers in town.

Old Posted May 16, 2019, 7:43 PM

$1 Million Pedestrian Plaza set to come to Reading Terminal
https://billypenn.com/2019/05/16/a-1...medium=ios_app

Old Posted May 16, 2019, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
$1 Million Pedestrian Plaza set to come to Reading Terminal
https://billypenn.com/2019/05/16/a-1...medium=ios_app
this can only be an improvement. Right now this tunnel is congested, dark, often full of homeless people and it's not uncommon to find unsavory things on the sidewalk. flooding it with more pedestrians and lunch timers should help. The entrance to Jefferson from Filbert is a hot mess as well- lot's of dead space that is basically a rest area for the homeless. Poor design

Old Posted May 16, 2019, 7:59 PM

Quote:
I stopped reading the comments on Philly.com about 10 years ago.

Most of those people are alone, angry, and living in Schwenksville or thereabouts.

Old Posted May 16, 2019, 8:43 PM

Delete; wrong thread

Old Posted May 17, 2019, 1:42 PM

Anyone have any intel on the parcel that houses Spruce Street Market and a decent-sized parking garage at 1523 Spruce Street? Some time ago, I had heard rumblings it would be redeveloped by haven't heard anything recently. Although the upkeep has only been average, it is a well-disguised garage. https://www.google.com/maps/place/15...!4d-75.1674473 I think it must have originally been built as a building with a non-parking use. It is not a wide building, but it is pretty deep. It extends all the way back to Latimer where the garage parking entrance is. EDIT: Looks like it is going to be used as parking for the Atlantic Building.

Last edited by jsbrook; May 17, 2019 at 1:59 PM.

Old Posted May 17, 2019, 4:02 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
Not a bad thing, the crazy on the right helps to balance the crazy on the left and maybe just maybe they can cancel each other out at times.

Old Posted May 17, 2019, 5:57 PM

Took these of the new park by 30th street. Looks like it's almost done. I think this and the 30th street station plaza work will tie in nicely and they'll both get a lot of use when the area gets built up from SY. The porch already gets a good amount of use.

Also, I noticed the new stairs to JFK have been sitting there almost done for a few months now. Anyone know what the deal is? I've tried using them a couple times but it's all fenced off.

Old Posted May 17, 2019, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skintreesnail View Post
Took these of the new park by 30th street. Looks like it's almost done. I think this and the 30th street station plaza work will tie in nicely and they'll both get a lot of use when the area gets built up from SY. The porch already gets a good amount of use.
Looks awesome. What a massive improvement. Love the trees!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skintreesnail View Post
Also, I noticed the new stairs to JFK have been sitting there almost done for a few months now. Anyone know what the deal is? I've tried using them a couple times but it's all fenced off.
Hard to tell from this angle, but does it have a railing? I imagine they wouldn't be able to open it without a railing. Nonetheless, idk why it would take so long to install a railing.

Old Posted May 17, 2019, 6:06 PM

^^^ yeah, no railing, but it's been sitting that way for months I think.

Old Posted May 19, 2019, 9:02 PM

Such a beautiful foreground for 30th Street Station and former Post Office. it should have appeared that way decades ago instead of use as limited and quite thoughtless car park. A continuing education lesson for us all.

Old Posted May 21, 2019, 4:49 PM
Cory Trevor Leahy

New 43rd and Chestnut rendering-- going to CDR pretty soon so we'll see the full package, but here's a preview

Old Posted May 21, 2019, 5:57 PM

I like it. Good color scheme.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development