HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 23, 2023, 8:29 PM

if "heart" is the issue, then I think no matter how much talent a player may have, they've eventually let the team and themselves down.

In that case, it's probably better to deal the players who lack heart for prospects/draft picks, step back a few years and re-build. In this area I think no-one should be considered "untouchable".

Keeping the fan base interested would be a selling job, but I think more people would be willing to support a team that is honestly re-building than one that sells itself as "almost ready to compete for a championship" when that chance has faded away.

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Mar 23, 2023, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
if "heart" is the issue, then I think no matter how much talent a player may have, they've eventually let the team and themselves down.

In that case, it's probably better to deal the players who lack heart for prospects/draft picks, step back a few years and re-build. In this area I think no-one should be considered "untouchable".

Keeping the fan base interested would be a selling job, but I think more people would be willing to support a team that is honestly re-building than one that sells itself as "almost ready to compete for a championship" when that chance has faded away.
One would be amazed at the amount of people that want to trade Hellebuyck (at least on social media). Their train of thought seems to be that Helle won't want to play here when his contract ends, and he is too expensive, so we should trade him and get a good return.

The only problem with that, is we have nobody else that is remotely close to being a starting goalie. Should we go with Rittich/Holm combo? Chances are, we won't get that much for Hellebuyck. Maybe a 1st round draft pick, and a couple of prospects. Then the Jets will have to try to lure a mediocre starter that is a free agent.

DO people not remember when we tried that with Steve Mason? He played one year here, was hurt, and did not perform well. Just to get him off the book, we had to give Montreal a prime Joel Armia.

I'm not sure what we can do. It seems PLD is hell bent on not signing. Wheeler is virtually untradeable, sue to him being 37 this year, and making $8.25 million. It may be better to just move him down, and play him on the second/third line for his last remaining season. Scheifele and Ehlers are on cap-friendly contracts.

There is no easy answer. We just have to hope that the draft picks from 2020 onward pan out.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2023, 11:50 PM

There's one more year and Fefe Wheeler and Helle contracts are due. If there is no heart, trade em up at the draft. No sense going into another lame duck year. Trade em. Dubois too. Get something before they're gone for nothing. And try to find another goalie.

Sure is disappointing if the team loses a Vezina winning goalie because the locker room is shit. How sad. Fully on Chipman IMO.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2023, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
There's one more year and Fefe Wheeler and Helle contracts are due. If there is no heart, trade em up at the draft. No sense going into another lame duck year. Trade em. Dubois too. Get something before they're gone for nothing. And try to find another goalie.

Sure is disappointing if the team loses a Vezina winning goalie because the locker room is shit. How sad. Fully on Chipman IMO.
The only way the Jets should trade Hellebuyck, is if he indicates he will definitely not be signing in Winnipeg. And if so, unless we get an insane return, keep him until the 2024 trade deadline. Helle is 30, and will be 31 when his contract expires.

Look at Trouba in comparison. Trouba wanted out of Winnipeg. Trouba was arguably our best defenseman, had just turned 25. All we got for him, is Pionk, and a late 1st round draft pick (Heinola). And that is for a top defenseman just going into his prime.

There is no point in trading Hellebuyck if we are going to get a minimal return (1st round draft pick and a prospect). We may as well play Hellebuyck for the final year, considering we have nobody to replace him with, and look for a goalie during free agency. If we lose Helle, we can expect to suffer as much as the Pavelec years.

Everyone else is fair game. Scheifele, Wheeler, PLD, etc. However, Hellebuyck is our MVP and trading him in the off-season for a modest return makes zero sense. Unless we want an AHL goalie to be our starter.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2023, 3:57 AM

Didnt Hellebuyck say something like "im waiting to see what happens with this team before i sign".

1. He doesnt want to be part of a rebuild and will sign elsewhere. Trade him.
2. He is on the other good side of whatever dispute is ongoing in the room. Bad actors are traded. He signs.

I doubt he signs if the team will be going through a multi-year span of mediocre teams with an unknown coaching situation. He'll go to a contender and they will be more than happy to pay him $10 mil per.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2023, 4:05 AM

The one issue with your theory is most contenders DONT have 10 million dollars to spend , most are right up to the cap .

Old Posted Mar 24, 2023, 4:38 AM

Jets Win!!! 3-2

Winnipeg is now 5 points up on Anaheim (who also won). The Flames lost, so they are far back now. 41-29-3. On to LA.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2023, 4:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Didnt Hellebuyck say something like "im waiting to see what happens with this team before i sign".

1. He doesnt want to be part of a rebuild and will sign elsewhere. Trade him.
2. He is on the other good side of whatever dispute is ongoing in the room. Bad actors are traded. He signs.

I doubt he signs if the team will be going through a multi-year span of mediocre teams with an unknown coaching situation. He'll go to a contender and they will be more than happy to pay him $10 mil per.
That's ridiculous . McDavid didn't want to go to Edmonton should they have traded him away? We have to bend over backwards for Helle. Good goalies don't grow on trees.

Signing Hellebuyck should be the Jets #1 priority in the off-season. Open the chequebooks and give him $10 million. He is the MVP of the Jets. If there are cap space problems, simple. Get rid of anyone else.

Jets fans are weird like that. I still remember Hellebuyck's Vezina Trophy season, and on Hfboards, people were wanting to get rid of him. If we win the Stanley Cup, I guarantee a vocal minority will be complaining that we took too many games to do so.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2023, 1:55 PM

I totally agree. Jets should be signing Hellebuyck to an 8 year deal. #1 priority. It's his willingness to sign that is the question.

I am not questioning his heart to play. I'm questioning Fefe, Wheeler and whatever else is going on with the team. Those issues make it less attractive for Hellebuyck to remain here. Hopefully if Chevy can resolve that, Helle will stay.

I would've put signing Dubois as #2 but we all know the drama there.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2023, 2:15 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post

The way I look at it if LA can cut some fat and do a mini rebuild and be competitive two years later, we should look at doing it too. Trading Scheifele should command a pretty good return. I'd keep Hellebuyck.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Mar 24, 2023, 3:59 PM

I am of the mindset if the Jets are going to get serious about a rebuild then Chevy's replacement should absolutely trade Helle. Maybe not a Vezinz trophy level goalie but at minimum a quality NHL proven backup in return with more added in like a first round pick. But that is all contingent on the team being serious about a top down rebuild. Did I already mention Chevy needs to go first?

Old Posted Mar 24, 2023, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegcityboy View Post
The one issue with your theory is most contenders DONT have 10 million dollars to spend , most are right up to the cap .
They'd make room.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2023, 4:30 PM

rutger mcgroarty is having a hell of a season at U of Michigan, can't wait to see him on Jets, only 18 right now. was Captain of USA world jr

Old Posted Mar 27, 2023, 12:26 AM

Great news, fellas.

The Leafs beat the Preds, so Nashville has lost 2 in a row, and remains 5 points back from the Jets.

Tomorrow The Jets play the last place Sharks, while the Preds play the #1 ranked Bruins, and Calgary plays the red hot Kings.

The Jets can really solidify their spot in the playoffs if the win on Tuesday.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2023, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
rutger mcgroarty is having a hell of a season at U of Michigan, can't wait to see him on Jets, only 18 right now. was Captain of USA world jr

I hope he pans out.

I'm cautiously optimistic, if only due to the fact he is playing with the "other" generational player Adam Fantilli on his team. I think we will have a better idea of how well he develops next year if he returns to college.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2023, 4:14 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Our prospects like Rutger and Brad have been having a stellar season in their junior teams. Rutger seems closer to come to the big leagues than Brad.

I hope for the sake of the team that they're the next core players. We are already on that cusp of all-in or blow it up next season with the current Jets roster we have.

We just need to secure enough wins to hold onto our wild card spot.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2023, 7:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jabroni View Post
Our prospects like Rutger and Brad have been having a stellar season in their junior teams. Rutger seems closer to come to the big leagues than Brad.

I hope for the sake of the team that they're the next core players. We are already on that cusp of all-in or blow it up next season with the current Jets roster we have.

We just need to secure enough wins to hold onto our wild card spot.
A rebuild is definitely going to happen by 2024.

Wheeler is in his final season next year, and at $8.25 million, he isn't going anywhere since nobody has any interest in him. He will be turning 38 when his contract ends, and the Jets would not be wise to offer him anything over a short term contract, possibly at $2.5 million/year.

Scheifele's contract ends in 2024, and unlike Wheeler, there is considerable demand for a #1 C. Scheif will be 31, and I can't see him resigning with the Jets. Hopefully we can get a good return for him. A #1 draft pick, and a good prospect.

PLD contract is up, and technically the ball is in our court, and he is an RFA. He doesn't want to play in Winnipeg, but I sure hope he changes his mind, but I am not optimistic. PLD will will be 24 in summer, and could fetch a great return (a first round pick, prospect, and a proven young player). If the Jets do sign him, it will only be for a year, as he becomes a UFA in 2024.

We should pull out all stops to sign Hellebuyck. He is the backbone of the Jets since 2017. I would be prepared to offer him a $10 million/year contract until he turns 37. However, if he wants to play elsewhere, keep him until the trade deadline. It's better to get nearly a full season with Helly, than trade him and force the club to look for a UFA goalie. Keep in mind that the last time we did this (Steve Mason), it did not end well.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2023, 12:32 AM

The Jets may be in a slump since All Star break. However, we are going to knock the Fmales out of the playoffs.

This week.

Guaranteed.

Just like 1985. Just like 1987, Just like 1992.

If all else fails, count on the Jets securing that last Wildcard spot, and relegating the Flames to the golf course.

You can take that to the bank.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2023, 2:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post
The Jets may be in a slump since All Star break. However, we are going to knock the Fmales out of the playoffs.

This week.

Guaranteed.

Just like 1985. Just like 1987, Just like 1992.

If all else fails, count on the Jets securing that last Wildcard spot, and relegating the Flames to the golf course.

You can take that to the bank.
Always satisfying to finish ahead of in order…Edmonton, Calgary and Toronto. However Jets need to win a series.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2023, 2:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P&M40BELOW View Post
Always satisfying to finish ahead of in order…Edmonton, Calgary and Toronto. However Jets need to win a series.
Don't hold your breath...lol.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan