HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Feb 11, 2014, 7:40 PM
The City

I bet Tom Servo is gonna love this!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Feb 11, 2014, 8:09 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

I'm gonna love it too.

Ughh. Such a wasted opportunity. In fact its worse then that. Its truly the bringing of schlocky 1990's Navy Pier re-design plopped down in perhaps the most important tourist zone outside of downtown. Truly Vegas meets Disney......

And I hate the stupid Rosemont crack was made in jest. Because if you have any love of the city or the Cubs you would grasp what reactionary folly that would be to get up and move to Rosemont.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2014, 8:40 PM
Vote for me for Mayor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
I'm gonna love it too.

Ughh. Such a wasted opportunity. In fact its worse then that. Its truly the bringing of schlocky 1990's Navy Pier re-design plopped down in perhaps the most important tourist zone outside of downtown. Truly Vegas meets Disney......

And I hate the stupid Rosemont crack was made in jest. Because if you have any love of the city or the Cubs you would grasp what reactionary folly that would be to get up and move to Rosemont.
It was a joke made out of frustration, take it as such and move on. Everyone understands what a loss the Cubs would be to the City of Chicago and Wrigleyville. I personally want neither the Cubs to leave nor this proposal to come to fruition.

Last edited by UPChicago; Feb 11, 2014 at 8:53 PM.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 12:53 AM
BANNED

Yaaaaay!!! Let's turn Chicago into Disneyland! Fun for the whole family too! I hope they include a circus and petting zoo.

Oh, and boy I'm glad they hired 1992 to design everything because I was getting worried they might ruin Wrigley.

Yeah... Let's let Ricketts run his business. Yeah...

Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 1:09 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
People have become so polarized against the rooftop owners at this point that they see this as an issue regarding the infringements upon a business owner and nothing more. They've stopped seeing this as an issue regarding anything historic or worth preserving. Most people have taken the stance of, well Wrigley is a dump anyway. And I blame asshole writers like Dan Bernstein and others from the Tribune for perpetuating this farce of a mentality. In no way is this an issue of letting a businessman run "his" company; rather, this is simply a case of a billionaire trying to use our city and our team and our field as his cash cow. And it's fucking enraging to hear assholes try and spin this any other way. It's absolutely maddening to see people become so diluted into believing this nauseating idea that Wrigley and the surrounding area needs upgrading. This is the same virus of an idea that destroys Goldberg gems in the name of improvement.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 1:42 AM

Its quite sad that the best proposal for this site was, and still is, the work of a student. Call it it faux historicism, but I take this ten times out of ten over the garbage from VOA.

source: Marty Sandberg

Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 1:44 AM
BANNED

No shit. I would have no problem with an honest effort like that.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 1:48 AM

The student's work is nice. Much more subdued but in character with the neighborhood and stadium.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 3:17 AM

omg just hire the student

Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 4:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch.G, Ch.G View Post
omg just hire the student
Can't, it doesn't allow for enough revenue opportunities... you know, to keep the team competitive.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 6:50 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by untitledreality View Post
Can't, it doesn't allow for enough revenue opportunities... you know, to keep the team competitive.

Hah... yeah, no shit. How could the Cubs ever win anything without proper revenue generating options.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 1:47 PM
TL;DR

If you slather that student proposal with signage and ads, is it really all that different from the Cubs/VOA plan? I actually prefer the idea of a programmed plaza over a Triangle Building that fills the site. The reason the Cubs' plan sucks is the signage, not any particular design choice.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 2:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
If you slather that student proposal with signage and ads, is it really all that different from the Cubs/VOA plan? I actually prefer the idea of a programmed plaza over a Triangle Building that fills the site. The reason the Cubs' plan sucks is the signage, not any particular design choice.
It is. Clock tower.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 2:49 PM

One thing for certain, Chicagoans are passionate about Wrigley Field & their Cubs. The Ricketts are in a difficult position of satisfying tradition with the reality of current sports economics. Seems like the Ricketts latest concept does address the needs of the team while keeping the traditions.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 3:52 PM
The City

This thread has now reached 28 pages without a single shovel hitting the dirt.

Sigh....

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRE View Post
One thing for certain, Chicagoans are passionate about Wrigley Field & their Cubs. The Ricketts are in a difficult position of satisfying tradition with the reality of current sports economics. Seems like the Ricketts latest concept does address the needs of the team while keeping the traditions.
That's the thing. I have a hard time believing that the Cubs have an economics problem. Show me another team that has such a terrible on the field product yet has such high attendance and that can regularly charge $40 for its bleacher seats.

The Cubs on the field problems have little (I believe nothing) to do with revenue generation and everything to do with mismanagement - poor farm system coupled with signing overvalued players to expensive long term deals. In fact, I would say that Wrigley Field itself and the charm of the neighborhood is the only reason the Cubs are worth anything at this point. If this same franchise played in the Cell, it would have probably moved away years ago.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 10:22 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonMendigo View Post
That's the thing. I have a hard time believing that the Cubs have an economics problem. Show me another team that has such a terrible on the field product yet has such high attendance and that can regularly charge $40 for its bleacher seats.

The Cubs on the field problems have little (I believe nothing) to do with revenue generation and everything to do with mismanagement - poor farm system coupled with signing overvalued players to expensive long term deals. In fact, I would say that Wrigley Field itself and the charm of the neighborhood is the only reason the Cubs are worth anything at this point. If this same franchise played in the Cell, it would have probably moved away years ago.
Indeed. They already charge the 2nd or 3rd highest ticket prices in baseball and then they claim poverty. They are rated by FORBES to be the most profitable team in baseball. In a year they will be able to pen their new TV deal and be well on their way to striking a billion dollar deal similar to the Dodgers, Yanks, R-Sox. THAT is where the real lucrative money separating small fry from large will take place.

Then they say they need ALL of these signage in order to compete but I'm really skeptical if most teams have as much signage going on as the Cubs are proposing. Or just how much they really earn from it.......

The students renders of his triangle building is MUCH better in my estimation. Its not the style I would choose to build it in but its sure a heck of a lot preferable to what the Cubs chose. Even if you took the signage of their faux clock-tower building.

Quote:

True. The problem hasn't been a lack of revenue as much as real bad management on the baseball operations side. For Cubs fans they know they brought up what could be counted on one hand everyday starting players over the course of about 20 years between 1990-2010. Few of them impactful or perennial All-Stars.

The Cubs know that Wrigley is the ultimate insurance policy they have in being able to charge the rates they do and still get full ballparks even in lean years. They know that many of their fans will still enjoy the park itself even if the team stinks (which doesn't make them bad or "fake" fans). Move them to Rosemont or Glenview though and all you have are the Mets, Angels, or Ranges who are teams that need to win to draw and charge amongst the highest prices in MLB. And if they don't the fans simply will not come.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2014, 12:09 AM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
This thread has now reached 28 pages without a single shovel hitting the dirt.

Sigh....

As Cubs fans, we should be used to all talk and no action. A day in the life.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2014, 3:21 AM

I have some pics from late fall of what I presume to be wrigley field turf thrown in the trash. Does that count?

Old Posted Feb 25, 2014, 7:22 PM
BANNED

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2014/02/...nk-outside-it/

Why can't Dollar-Tom just agree to build his stupid signs atop the rooftops?!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development