HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jul 7, 2023, 2:27 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

More from Summit Station:

Radiosonde launching. A radiosonde is launched twice a day, synchronized with others around the world and playing an important part in weather forecasting (I think?). I helped launch one later... on a day with 30 kt winds... it was pretty fun other than the giant balloon banging against my head all the time).

Someone's frisbee golf creation

Menacing clouds. The weather was terrible in general this year. The ANG was supposed to fly 12 flights while I was there. They managed 3. More on the return flight later...

Barbara, the Arctic Truck. Supposedly she worked this year, but I didn't see her in action. (Primarily, it's a search and rescue vehicle). In the back you can see the berthing mod and summer village.

The Summit Mobile Garage. Inside is storage, a maintenance area for vehicles, office space and the main generator for the station.

The berthing mod on the left (which has 5 small bedrooms and 6th one masquerading as a clinic, as well as a bathroom, shower and laundry). I've never slept in there since it's usually reserved for station staff. On the right are fish huts, which I've also never slept in, but are used in summer and are somewhat heated.

This year and in 2021 I slept in the Flarm. Basically a giant refrigerator with 3 bunk beds inside. Comfy with 3 people, crowded with 6. In 2015, I slept in tents, but that's before the polar bear visit of 2017 led to the institution of hard-sided berthing.

Summit group picture for the solstice (which I happened to take... since I had my tripod and intervalometer). This was sent to all the Antarctic camps as part of the mid-winter greeting (even though it was summer for us). Station was at max capacity (42 people, probably some people missed the picture). Sorry Desantis, it was June, so there's a pride flag out.

Station from a bit farther away, from one of our detector sites

A hole in the ice. We put antennas up to 100 m down into the ice to look for radio emission from cosmic neutrinos smashing into the ice. This season we didn't deploy any new stations, but we took advantage of an ice coring team there to have them drill a small hole for us to put a calibration antenna in.

In goes the antenna

Our prototype wind turbines, to attempt to power our stations farther into winter (as we're solar powered). They... uh... froze over winter, so they didn't work so great.

whiteout conditions are terrible for finding your stations, but they make for great pictures. The only exposed parts are the panels, in this case a prototype turbine, and the comms / GPS antennas. The flags mark places we've buried antennas.

Us testing a melting probe from a German company. If it proves successful, this might allow a more hands-off way of making shallowish holes.

Fun light. (On the right is the S'Mobil, a shop space, and on the left in front of the garage is the water melter)

Staring off into nothing (and it was snowing ... or blowing snow, I can't remember)

Sundog over our deployment hut (which we tow around by snowmobile as needed)

More sundog

Another sundog, from the Big House balcony over the summer village (the red building to the right of the flarm is the caboose, more bunks but in individual small rooms instead of all in a big room). To the left of the flarm is the sauna.

And... another batch of on-ice pictures will come later, including our harrowing return...

Old Posted Jul 7, 2023, 7:51 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

if the melting probe works well, it may also be adapted tp help on icey moons and planets like triton and pluto, etc.. no doubt nasa would be interested and you are aware, so i'd call your use of it very, very important in and of itself.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2023, 10:10 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
if the melting probe works well, it may also be adapted tp help on icey moons and planets like triton and pluto, etc.. no doubt nasa would be interested and you are aware, so i'd call your use of it very, very important in and of itself.
that is indeed the original application for the melting probe (but for ESA, not NASA). They want to go to Enceladus.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2023, 6:12 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Alright, last ones from the ice, then back to Kanger.

Strange clouds

more whiteout conditions. We had awful weather. The ANG was supposed to have 12 flights in the time I was there. They managed 3. Some of it was mechanical, some of it was weather (although... they could have picked better times to fly... usually it was calm in the evening, but ... they don't do that). I actually helped launch a radiosonde during this storm, which had sustained 30 kt winds... it bonked against my head a bunch of times.

It also got super warm on June 26.

I was supposed to fly to Kanger on June 27, but the weather was awful (except for the evening, when they didn't fly). Fortunately, I was able to get out on June 28. Apparently they flew a 4th skier in because the others were broken...
Oh and the skiway was in terrible shape from all the storms, so they brought in the JATO rockets...

After two failed attempts to take off on a very soft and ungroomed skiway, the pilot fired the rockets (apparently he remarked over the radio that it was "pretty sweet"). To my knowledge, this was the first JATO takeoff from Summit in some years. Sadly I could not get a picture of the rockets going off from inside the plane, but it was loud (and also, apparently it was quite far down the skiway when they were used... so nobody saw it).

Here are the rocket cans from inside (obviously long after we're airborne).

They used to jettison them, but apparently this led to a crash from a rocket can hitting a propeller some years ago...

And here's the fast-approaching coast from the plane:

Next up, more from Kanger, including visiting the sled dogs...

Old Posted Jul 11, 2023, 1:43 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

very err, umm, cool!

this is a pic i found of jato rockets in use -- here with the blue angels --

Old Posted Jul 11, 2023, 3:10 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

There is a video of an LC with JATO on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:J...rlift_Wing.ogv (not sure where this was taken; sorta looks like it could be near McMurdo but not it's not any of the McMurdo airfields I've flown into...)

It was slightly unnerving watching the 19-year old ANG guy read the JATO manual prior to its use...

Old Posted Jul 12, 2023, 9:05 AM

Thank you for the fascinating images and commentary!

Old Posted Jul 13, 2023, 3:15 AM

You mentioned launching radiosondes in challenging conditions. In the early 80s, I worked on the north slope of Alaska during the early spring. It was getting light, but still brutally cold and windy, with a lot of white-out conditions. Anyway, one of my jobs was to launch radiosondes attached to "pilot balloons" to determine atmospheric structure for the study we were conducting. We did get a lot of data, and were able to compare the data with that from acoustic sounders, which were a new technology at the time.

It was a great adventure, except for the day I was supposed to drive our truck to Deadhorse Airport to pick up a coworker. I encountered white-out conditions along the way and got lost, as did a couple of other vehicles. We managed to find our way eventually. We had no cell phones, no GPS. We were on our own.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2023, 12:41 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviationGuy View Post
You mentioned launching radiosondes in challenging conditions. In the early 80s, I worked on the north slope of Alaska during the early spring. It was getting light, but still brutally cold and windy, with a lot of white-out conditions. Anyway, one of my jobs was to launch radiosondes attached to "pilot balloons" to determine atmospheric structure for the study we were conducting. We did get a lot of data, and were able to compare the data with that from acoustic sounders, which were a new technology at the time.

It was a great adventure, except for the day I was supposed to drive our truck to Deadhorse Airport to pick up a coworker. I encountered white-out conditions along the way and got lost, as did a couple of other vehicles. We managed to find our way eventually. We had no cell phones, no GPS. We were on our own.
That's awesome! Yes, I was just helping to launch the radiosonde as a "volunteer" (the science techs at Summit are normally responsible), though we do see them in our radio detectors and they actual help us calibrate our instruments.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2023, 1:52 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Here's a picture I forgot to upload earlier, me looking like a tourist before leaving (I had a roller bag for a bunch of random lab equipment, including lithium batteries, that I couldn't fit in my backpack and couldn't check onto the plane, but I look ridiculous). I must have taken a wrong turn at Albuquerque...

Now, back in Kangerlussuaq, approaching landing. Here you can see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sondre...earch_Facility and this is near the beginning of the Arctic Trail to Sisimut.

The buildings they put is in are really ugly but the logo looks kinda cool

Sequential license plates

Misty. Or maybe that's glacial silt blowing?

The airport/hotel:

Ignoring the signs warning us about quicksand

Interesting vehicles, including two Arctic trucks that probably should be up on the ice?

Odd arrangements of containers:

Approaching the sled dogs

Apparently there's only one type of dog in Greenland, the Greenlandic Sled Dog.

Some parting shots (it was getting late, and early flight the next morning).

The Kangerlussuaq port on the way out the next morning.

Icebergs and the Torngats. Too bad it's basically impossible to get to the Torngats, they look gorgeous

Then, landed at Stratton AFB in Scotia, NY, took a cab to ALB and flew back to Chicago a few hours later, seeing this nice cloud formation:

My phone was at 1% and my camera wasn't handy, but who can resist taking this shot from the Orange Line?

Overall, from the ice to my condo downtown in less than 36 hours. Not bad as far as these things go.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2023, 5:00 AM

Great pictures once again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
This one is the best of the bunch!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos