HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 26, 2022, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I also wonder whether there are any plans in the works to convert the two major intersections along CCW to grade-separated interchanges?
The City priced-in three grade separations for the road network far in the future (40+ years from now) in their cost/benefit analysis for the area, but it doesn't specify where. I'm guessing two along CCW and one at the railway that crosses Sturgeon Road near Saskatchewan avenue.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2022, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipegger View Post
The City priced-in three grade separations for the road network far in the future (40+ years from now) in their cost/benefit analysis for the area, but it doesn't specify where. I'm guessing two along CCW and one at the railway that crosses Sturgeon Road near Saskatchewan avenue.
Yeah, wow. Years 45 to 60. What year are we in now? Year 0 given that it's a 2022 report?

I certainly didn't think it would happen tomorrow, but I also didn't expect that my children would potentially be elderly senior citizens when they open. I kind of figured that with all the momentum and growth in that area, that it would get expedited somewhat.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2022, 3:36 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Yeah, wow. Years 45 to 60. What year are we in now? Year 0 given that it's a 2022 report?

I certainly didn't think it would happen tomorrow, but I also didn't expect that my children would potentially be elderly senior citizens when they open. I kind of figured that with all the momentum and growth in that area, that it would get expedited somewhat.
We should have flying cars at that point.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2022, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipegger View Post
I'm guessing two along CCW and one at the railway that crosses Sturgeon Road near Saskatchewan avenue.
Not enough rail traffic on that spur to justify a bridge or underpass.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2022, 1:39 PM

What a shit show haha

Yes the 2 intersections would be grade separated. I think the 3rd location is where the new interchange would be on 101, about half way between CCW and Inkster. There'll be a new road in there. There will also be an interchange at Chief Peguis/Hwy 6. That's why that intersection was rotated 45 degrees. But I'm not sure as that is a City focused document.

The biggest joke is the Huge rail overpass, with a rail crossing right at the end. How ridiculous. There was a plan to relocate that small section of the Prairie Dog track to the west of the rail overpass. It was going to be such a small measly pittance to construct and they never did it.

Instead putting in the railway signals, maintaining them, testing them every bloody week. How silly.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2022, 2:07 PM

The PDC Railway crossing is pretty lightly used, I guess that's why they didn't bother moving the rails.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2022, 2:27 PM

Back in 2009 or whenever that works was going on, it was going to be like 2 million or something to move that track. Instead they spent probably 1 million putting in the grade crossing and warning lights. And now have to maintain it to Transport Canada standards. It just really makes no sense. I know it doesn't get used much, but still.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2022, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Back in 2009 or whenever that works was going on, it was going to be like 2 million or something to move that track. Instead they spent probably 1 million putting in the grade crossing and warning lights. And now have to maintain it to Transport Canada standards. It just really makes no sense. I know it doesn't get used much, but still.

Such a facepalm if those numbers are accurate.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2022, 3:05 PM

Grade crossing with gates are at least 500k. Then the effort and cost for the road crossing and such will get you to 1 mil. Back then, everything was cheaper. I remember it being quite cheap. Maybe I can find a report with that info if I get some time to dig around.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2022, 3:08 PM

How often does a train even use that crossing? Maybe once a week? If that? Not a huge deal IMO.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2022, 3:37 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
How often does a train even use that crossing? Maybe once a week? If that? Not a huge deal IMO.
I get that, but it just seems like such low hanging fruit if the cost is so low. It's also why I question when we'd rather spend a bunch of money reconstructing at grade intersections when they really should be reconstructed as grade separations (I'm looking at you, Deacon's Corner)
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Oct 27, 2022, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
I get that, but it just seems like such low hanging fruit if the cost is so low. It's also why I question when we'd rather spend a bunch of money reconstructing at grade intersections when they really should be reconstructed as grade separations (I'm looking at you, Deacon's Corner)
100% agree on Deacon's Corner, that is a much more egregious example. Or Birds Hill Rd at 59.

When was the last time there was a new interchange built that wasn't on the Perimeter? That one on 59 at Grande Pointe some 20 years ago, maybe? It's been a while.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2022, 4:10 PM

Re the PDC rail crossing. Not sure the cost but since CCW opened there was at least one issues with the rail crossing resulting in police needing to be dispatched for traffic control and CCW getting closed down for a time.

In terms of the CCW development map I am somewhat surprised it shows CPT eventually extending into the area but somewhat surprised it doesn't show the same for HWY 6. That then leads to the somewhat obvious that CPT west and HWY 6 east would make sense to connect up into a single continuous route, especially keeping in mind CPT is going to be the northern side of the inner ring road network.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2022, 5:46 PM

It's kind of funny that this image shows the CPT extension crossing brookside (Brookport?!) as a diamond interchange. The cities planning docs just dead end here and show traffic lights. Maybe this is intersection #3 for future interchange.

https://centreportcanada.ca/media-re...report-canada/

That big curve in CCW at Inkster is set-up for a future interchange. Originally it was oriented north-south but they rotated it.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2022, 5:51 PM

http://conf.tac-atc.ca/english/annua.../mcritchie.pdf

Page 15 of this report shows the future configuration with #6, CPT and the new PR 221 alignment. And also shows the Silver Ave corridor.

So for the City, the interchange could be the south Sturgeon Rd access, Silver Ave down near Murray, And CPT/Route 90 interchange.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2022, 6:22 PM

Quote:
It's kind of funny that this image shows the CPT extension crossing brookside (Brookport?!) as a diamond interchange. The cities planning docs just dead end here and show traffic lights. Maybe this is intersection #3 for future interchange.
I guess eventually CPT will go through, and some day in the very distant future a through interchange like that diamond will be built there.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2022, 1:56 PM

Quote:
Page 15 of this report shows the future configuration with #6, CPT and the new PR 221 alignment. And also shows the Silver Ave corridor.
Interesting as it shows that HWY 6 and Inkster will be connected and CCW will continue to CPT instead of the curve that connects it to Inkster today.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2022, 3:40 PM

Ya that's what I was trying to get at, just not in the clearest way haha

The road and curved piece is rotated such that in the end it forms a 4 legged intersection/interchange.

I think the original design for the current CCW setup had Inkster just going straight E-W before curving south onto CCW. Now it has that bulged part to better align with the future interchange.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2022, 7:31 PM

Article in today's WFP about CentrePort.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bu...RegisteredUser

Sure it's a bit of a promotional piece, but it doesn't exactly sound like the unmitigated disaster some folks would like it to be. Includes a bit of information about who is heading up the rail development portion of the park.

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Nov 2, 2022, 7:59 PM

Didn't bother to get through the paywall.

The biggest knock on CentrePort has been lack of action with servicing etc, leaving the big clients to look elsewhere.

The biggest wins for CentrePort will be the large, transformative clients. The smaller more normal industrial park stuff they've been doing is fine. But just more of the plain jane stuff.

Having the servicing move forward, and the rail park, is good news. The rail park will be interesting to see if they can get some decent clients to move in.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan