HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 19, 2023, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peg View Post
What block of Oak? Grew up on that street.
Winnipeg Grump posted it

328 Oak St.

https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2...-heights-north

Yeah Bomberjet. Good point. Who knows if this will even be built. $2 million seems excessive. $1 million I could see. There seems to be a tonne of these types of homes being constructed in River Heights over the past few years.

There is also that development at the corner of Beaverbrook and Grovesner that started a few years ago and is now finished. Probably a couple dozen homes that look like they would all sell for $1 million plus or so. Some of the properties there are like 90% house with little or no backyard.

What a missed opportunity for that former park. There should have been a few hundred apartment units constructed there adding several hundred people to the inner city. Instead, there are probably 40 or 50 people living there.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2023, 1:05 AM
surely you agree with me

Ugly AF

Old Posted Jul 19, 2023, 3:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
Ugly AF
What do you know about architecture

Old Posted Jul 19, 2023, 2:07 PM

Quote:
Ugly AF
Can we say that in a city where this basic design has absolutely dominated the new housing market for the last 35 years?

The Oak St. home is like a ray of sunlight compared to that.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2023, 6:06 PM
surely you agree with me

^ I think that’s my sister’s house. I mean. I actually do.

I take your point.

Edit. Not my sister’s house. She doesn’t have the arch trim above the second floor window.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2023, 6:37 PM

I wonder if that one is in Royalwood?

At first glance it looks like a variation on the house my friends have there that was built in the first phase of Royalwood.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2023, 6:50 PM

LOL @ Vike's comment

That's what I mean though. The stucco snout home is very ubiquitous. But not in the "it's our charming trademark" kind of way like the clapboard homes of the Maritimes, or Brooklyn walkup brownstones. It's a design that is stuck in the 1980s. It gets me annoyed when I watch House Hunters International and I see people paying a relative pittance for beautiful, modern homes in Asia. I get that our climate makes some of those things difficult, but surely the design could be changed... it is as though the rest of the world is driving Teslas while we are still on K-Cars with a few modern elements tacked on.

So when I see an interesting design like the one on Oak, I welcome that. I'd like to see more of it instead of getting the Qualico 1988 sales catalogue over and over and over again.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2023, 6:50 PM

Pretty sure everyone knows someone with a house like that. Typical 2 storey cabover design, which are widespread. It looks very similar to a number of houses I frequent haha

We could set standards to eliminate this type of home. But don't because of money, politics and the like.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2023, 8:23 PM

There is another variation of the cab-over style that is also super popular. Basically take a cab-over design with the secondary bedrooms on the main floor behind the front approach attached double garage. Instead of the primary bedroom being located over the garage it is instead put on the opposite side of the house from the garage. The result is a bungalow. It is especially common in neighborhoods with the custom builders than build lots of homes.

The reason the cab-over is such a popular design is that it is all about maximizing the home size while minimizing the cost. By putting the primary bedroom over the garage shrinks the necessary lot size and also cuts out costs for the home's foundation. Yes it adds some costs from a living space over a garage but they are less than if it was the bungalow style of the same basic layout where the primary bedroom is physically separated from the secondary ones.

Also obviously the front drive is also about maximizing the possible home and minimizing costs over older neighborhoods with back lanes.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2023, 8:38 PM

^ With cabover homes, do people ever convert their garage space into living space? Not just putting workout equipment in there or whatever, but eliminating the garage door and fully integrating it into the living space of their home? Seems like an easy way to add a few hundred square feet of space. I'm not sure I've ever seen it done, though... I assume there must be a good reason for that?

Old Posted Jul 19, 2023, 8:47 PM
the first stamp is free

^ You could, but you it wouldn't be all that comfortable.

Grade supported concrete slabs are miserable in the winter time. Unless they are heated, but that's likely not the case in 99% of houses.

Once you factor in re-structuring for new windows, doors, new insulation and finishes, electrical and mechanical upgrades... not to mention where you are now gonna store all your garage stuff - you are probably better off just letting your cars live in there.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2023, 8:55 PM
keep the good times going

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
Winnipeg Grump posted it

328 Oak St.

https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2...-heights-north

Yeah Bomberjet. Good point. Who knows if this will even be built. $2 million seems excessive. $1 million I could see. There seems to be a tonne of these types of homes being constructed in River Heights over the past few years.

There is also that development at the corner of Beaverbrook and Grovesner that started a few years ago and is now finished. Probably a couple dozen homes that look like they would all sell for $1 million plus or so. Some of the properties there are like 90% house with little or no backyard.

What a missed opportunity for that former park. There should have been a few hundred apartment units constructed there adding several hundred people to the inner city. Instead, there are probably 40 or 50 people living there.
Thanks, I have weird memories of this house lol. Went to the elementary school across the street. Always seemed a little run down, so it doesn't surprise me. will be interesting to see how it fits in on the street.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2023, 2:29 PM

Quote:
not so fun fact: the tower at Donald and St. Mary would be on floor 11 this week if it hadn't gone bankrupt.
Don't think it will be restarted soon. When I was coming back to work late on Tuesday night there was a crew removing all the traffic control signage / cones on St. Mary Ave related to the project.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2023, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Pretty sure everyone knows someone with a house like that. Typical 2 storey cabover design, which are widespread. It looks very similar to a number of houses I frequent haha

We could set standards to eliminate this type of home. But don't because of money, politics and the like.
I think outside of these boards this style of home isn't frowned upon, so what standards would you be applying? I know at least some subdivions have standards you have to adhere to. Different materials required at the front, ie you need a certain amount of stone in addition to the stucco. Certain lots (prominent locations) have greater standards too.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2023, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
I think outside of these boards this style of home isn't frowned upon, so what standards would you be applying? I know at least some subdivions have standards you have to adhere to. Different materials required at the front, ie you need a certain amount of stone in addition to the stucco. Certain lots (prominent locations) have greater standards too.
Depends who you talk to. Obviously many people don't care as all those homes are snapped up rather quick. My realtor aunt does say she regularly gets feedback from people moving into new builds that it is not what they expected in a bad way.

I have a colleague who moved from River Heights into south Winnipeg pink stucco type place. He said it was like the houses shit out cars every morning from the front garage. Then at night the house suck those cars back in. Beyond that there was minimal interaction with neighbours. Everyone in their back yards. Versus his place in River Heights where everyone new each other, stores nearby, etc.

In the end, most people just don't know enough to care. Or just don't care. These new houses and developments must be the best because they're new, right?

Old Posted Jul 20, 2023, 8:43 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
Don't think it will be restarted soon. When I was coming back to work late on Tuesday night there was a crew removing all the traffic control signage / cones on St. Mary Ave related to the project.
I was wondering when they were going to do that....it won't be resolved until October, and who knows how long after that it re-starts...it depends on what a new buyer wants to do with it, i guess.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2023, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
I know at least some subdivions have standards you have to adhere to.
Literally seen such a subdivision in the past that took a cab-over design from a popular builder and flipped the roofline from north-south to east-west. Also seen cab-overs before that go from a single door double garage to a two door double garage. There are all sorts of games the builders play to maximize cab-over builder although I think the high point of that style has passed now.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2023, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Depends who you talk to. Obviously many people don't care as all those homes are snapped up rather quick. My realtor aunt does say she regularly gets feedback from people moving into new builds that it is not what they expected in a bad way.

I have a colleague who moved from River Heights into south Winnipeg pink stucco type place. He said it was like the houses shit out cars every morning from the front garage. Then at night the house suck those cars back in. Beyond that there was minimal interaction with neighbors. Everyone in their back yards. Versus his place in River Heights where everyone new each other, stores nearby, etc.
Not all newer neighborhoods are like what you describe. Mine is just the opposite with lots of people moving about the neighborhood at pretty much all times of daylight hours and not by car. But the neighborhood by design is intentionally removed from any sort of through traffic so that only vehicle traffic is origin/destination in the development. And My previous home used to be close to schools, stores, etc. and let me tell you until you have personally lived through what that means and then experienced the other side you never want to go back. The amount of liter, etc at my new place over several years is a fraction of what the old place got in a week.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2023, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
Considering there are visible failures in some of the work that was already completed I have a feeling it will eventually be a taxpayer funded tear down of the work that was completed.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2023, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Considering there are visible failures in some of the work that was already completed I have a feeling it will eventually be a taxpayer funded tear down of the work that was completed.
Such as?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan