HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Jul 20, 2023, 1:28 AM
Show me the blueprints

Like I needed any more reasons to hate these people.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jul 20, 2023, 2:21 PM

Local media companies really need to focus on editing. I lost track of the number of errors in this paragraph.

"As part of this $130 million project -- of which $124 million will be invested this summer -- the tass transit company plants to replace 40 track throughout the New York and Mid-Atlantic regions, update 25-miles of track in the Mid-Atlantic region and complete over a million feet of surfacing work all across the Northeast corridor high-speed rail."

Amtrak unveils $130M infrastructure improvement plan for Northeast corridor
The mass transit company is planning to update 25 miles of track and replace switches throughout the New York and Mid-Atlantic region

By Hayden Mitman
July 19, 2023
NBC Philadelphia

"Amtrak is working to provide improvements to track and switches all along the Northeast corridor this summer, to the tune of about $130 million worth of renovations.

According to Amtrak, the project is part of a "long-term effort to ensure the railroad operates at a level of peak performance."

“Updating railroad infrastructure is a fundamental component of our plan to deliver a new era of rail by modernizing the Amtrak fleet, building new bridges and tunnels, revitalizing stations and redefining the customer experience for the modern era,” said Amtrak's Laura Mason, in a statement. "We’re grateful to our partners for their cooperation and flexibility as we advance these critical projects to achieve a state of good repair and enhance the overall Amtrak customer experience..."

https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news...ridor/3607482/

Old Posted Jul 21, 2023, 12:36 AM
Greetings from New Jersey

Last night at New York Penn

Old Posted Jul 25, 2023, 9:28 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

it’s train joke time!

A man was riding the train across the country when suddenly everything started rocking and grinding violently.

People were being thrown out of their seats and luggage was flying everywhere.

Then, after the train seemed to jump around and almost as suddenly as it started, everything is back to the typical calm, smooth ride. Everyone sorted themselves out and their found seats again.

When they reach the next stop, the man went forward to the engine car and asked the conductor what had happened.

The conductor said, “We hit a lawyer."

The man couldn't believe it. "You mean hitting a person caused that?!"

The conductor looked at him and explained, “Well, he was over in the ditch, but we got him anyways."

Old Posted Jul 30, 2023, 1:59 AM
Lahaina Strong

FRA has updated their "Conceptual Enhanced Network" for the Long-Distance Service Study.

IDC if it says draft, they posted it online, it's free game.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2023, 6:47 AM

Better map , includes the never built Caprock Chief in Texas , but still doesn't include the Southern Tier of NY , Susquehanna river cities...or I-83/81/78 corridor in MD/PA. I don't understand how the feds could skip over some critical corridors and then propose others which don't even have the slightest chance of getting built.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2023, 2:40 PM

Here are a couple of photos I took on Monday of the Portals bridge replacement.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2023, 11:56 AM

Construction on the Gateway tunnel is going to start in a couple of weeks. I am traveling on Amtrak through the New York in September and my schedule was changed to add ten minutes to the trip-- possibly because of the anticipated construction impacts. Regardless, this is great to see!

NYC’s Long-Awaited Rail Tunnel Set to Get Shovels in the Ground

Construction was able to move forward after President Joe Biden announced a $292 million grant in January. (Photo courtesy of Bloomberg)

By Skylar Woodhouse
August 10, 2023
Bloomberg

"Evidence of the $16.1 billion, long-delayed, once-canceled effort to build a new tunnel linking New York and New Jersey will finally start appearing on Manhattan streets in the coming weeks..."

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-in-the-ground

Old Posted Aug 17, 2023, 2:50 PM

Amtrak uses eminent domain to advance $6 billion Baltimore tunnel project
The railroad said the move is necessary as it proceeds to major construction next year for the replacement of the 150-year-old tunnel between D.C. and Baltimore

By Luz Lazo
Washington Post
Aug. 16, 2023

“Amtrak has filed an eminent domain lawsuit against several West Baltimore property owners in its latest step to advance a multibillion-dollar replacement of the 150-year-old Baltimore & Potomac Tunnel — a critical piece of the Northeast rail network that is a source of delays.

Amtrak this year began preliminary work on the $6 billion project and said major construction is expected to begin next year, with tunnel boring planned for 2026. The new tunnel, expected to open in 2033, is needed for safety reasons and to meet East Coast passenger and commercial rail needs, officials said.

In the complaint filed Thursday, Amtrak says negotiations failed in the acquisition of four properties on North Payson Street affected by the tunnel work, and cites its authority under federal law to use eminent domain to acquire property necessary for the use of intercity passenger rail operations...”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/trans...%20of%20delays

Old Posted Aug 17, 2023, 3:12 PM
Show me the blueprints

About time they start flexing their muscles. If we want major infrastructure improvements in this country we've got to stop dancing around the sometimes need of eminent domain. I know some of its twentieth century use was egregious, but the over compensation for that previous sin is holding us back from accomplishing big things.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Aug 17, 2023, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
About time they start flexing their muscles. If we want major infrastructure improvements in this country we've got to stop dancing around the sometimes need of eminent domain. I know some of its twentieth century use was egregious, but the over compensation for that previous sin is holding us back from accomplishing big things.
Exactly. It is projects such as this that are of national significance and that will benefit tens of millions of passengers that eminent domain is for.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2023, 3:37 PM

Amtrak orders more new trains to meet growing demand

By Meghna Maharishi
The Points Guy
August 22, 2023

Image courtesy of the Points Guy.

"Amtrak's next-generation of rail cars is set to roll out to even more passengers than originally planned.

The U.S. rail carrier is ordering 10 more of its new Amtrak Airo trainsets to meet surging passenger demand, the rail carrier announced Monday.

The order brings Amtrak to 83 Amtrak Airo trains, which are set to debut in 2026 along various routes in the Northeast, spanning from Toronto to Miami..."

https://thepointsguy.com/news/amtrak...rowing-demand/

Old Posted Aug 29, 2023, 2:07 PM

Two items discussed on the Amtrak subreddit this morning

First: someone noticed that the Amtrak webpage for the new Acela equipment has been changed from "early 2024" to "late 2024" https://www.amtrak.com/next-generati...h-speed-trains

Second: Amtrak has 63 cars in their shops they're looking to return to service. Long distance trains have been selling out simply due to equipment shortages i.e., we're running unnecessarily short trains across the country because the federal government hasn't made a large order of long distance coaches since 1991. The Amtrak shops near Indianapolis do great work and I'm excited to see even marginal improvements in long distance trains. https://railpassengers.org/happening...-active-fleet/

Old Posted Aug 29, 2023, 10:15 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprice1828 View Post
Two items discussed on the Amtrak subreddit this morning

First: someone noticed that the Amtrak webpage for the new Acela equipment has been changed from "early 2024" to "late 2024" https://www.amtrak.com/next-generati...h-speed-trains

Second: Amtrak has 63 cars in their shops they're looking to return to service. Long distance trains have been selling out simply due to equipment shortages i.e., we're running unnecessarily short trains across the country because the federal government hasn't made a large order of long distance coaches since 1991. The Amtrak shops near Indianapolis do great work and I'm excited to see even marginal improvements in long distance trains. https://railpassengers.org/happening...-active-fleet/
I am surprised they keep setting back the start of Acela 2 services. Alstom will have the entire fleet built before Amtrak places one of the twenty-eight into service at this rate.

63 cars needing refurbishment, only 20 or so are Superliners. Does that mean there are 43 bad order Amfleet 2s, or does that mean Amtrak will be refurbishing some Horizon regional trains? I would be surprised if they wanted to refurbish more Amfleet 1s that they are already retiring from service.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2023, 2:29 AM

Video Link

Scneario for this project ...

What if ... after they finish the new bridge ... they keep the old bridge working but as an "extra capacity" line until the Portal South Bridge is finished ... and THEN they dismantle the old swing bridge ... sort of like how they will keep one of the old Hudson tunnels open as they renovate the old ones after building the new ones is complete.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2023, 2:34 AM
Show me the blueprints

I'm thinking as soon as they get the chance it's going bye-bye. They'll probably enjoy beating it to death like that copy machine scene in Office Space. I just hope the Portal South cobstruction is expedited and not put off for years and years.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2023, 3:25 PM
Lahaina Strong

Old Posted Aug 31, 2023, 11:54 PM

They should just go with a single level design rather then a complicated ADA complaint Double decker design..

Old Posted Aug 31, 2023, 11:55 PM

Virginia continues to set ridership records with passenger rail

Quote:
“July of 2023 was the first month of the fiscal year and also the largest ridership month we have ever seen in Virginia with over 125,000 passengers,” Stadtler said.

Included in the state’s expansion plan is the extension of passenger rail to the New River Valley. And some key questions remain, including the precise timing of improvements.
https://www.wdbj7.com/2023/08/30/vir...assenger-rail/

Old Posted Sep 8, 2023, 10:08 PM
Lahaina Strong

Higher res Amtrak Slides.

Here's the proper versions of the Amtrak ADA slides.

An alarming detail: The conceptual Bi-level layout seems to suggest Amtrak is leaning towards restricting lounge access to Sleeper Car passengers only. I can't see many other reasons to position the diner between the lounge and coach. I also don't love the idea of having revenue rooms in the lounge. I can understand the logic behind moving the cafe to a coach car, disincentivizing lounge car campers. I still think the cafe should be in or directly adjoining the lounge.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation