HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > 2010 Olympic Winter Games [Archive]

Old Posted Mar 13, 2010, 2:13 AM

Michaëlle Jean, our Governor General is standing together with other performers!

Old Posted Mar 13, 2010, 4:19 AM

Rick Hansen just spoke in the Opening Ceremony.
CTV's Lloyd Robertson pay tribute to Terry Fox and showed video of Terry.
Terry Fox's parents just carry the torch into BC Place!
I like the ceremony. In a way it is more personal, inspiring, hearty and better.
Looks like the ceremony is already 30 minutes over the schedule. CTV may not be too happy.

Last edited by Waders; Mar 13, 2010 at 5:47 AM.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2010, 4:46 AM

i didn't know they were going to be on TV at all - i was in a store and they had it playing on the TVs

i missed it - what did they do? was it any good?

Old Posted Mar 13, 2010, 4:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
haha

I didn't know the opening ceremonies of the paralympics was going to be on TV and i missed it

was it any good?
Not as good as the Olympics, but still very lively.

Rebroadcast tomorrow at 1:30 pm.

There didn't use the welcoming figure/cauldron hydraulics from the floor. The only hydraulics were for the dentre platforms to be raised and lowered.
They only used the centre element of the cauldron.

It didn't seem very "wintery".

Old Posted Mar 13, 2010, 5:29 AM

It wouldn't be fair to compare the opening ceremony for the 2 Games due to the difference in budget.
Quote:
While the budget for both the opening and closing ceremonies of the Olympics was $38 million, the total budget for all Paralympic ceremonies is just under $6 million.
Source: http://www.metronews.ca/vancouver/lo...set-to-inspire

It is still a good show to watch on Saturday.
CTV broadcast actually missed part of the Flag dance as it skipped to show commericals.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2010, 6:20 AM

We lucked into tickets to the opening ceremony tonight. Wow! I'm so glad we did.

It was really well done. They put together an amazing, professional, and inspiring show.

Kudos to the performers, athletes, production crew, and VANOC.

To top it off, we also stumbled into the press conference afterward. We had walked around the stadium since the crowds leaving were so backed up. Eventually we ventured up the stairs to exit right near the dignitary stage, and walked out to the hall, where Terry Fox's mom was addressing the media and group who'd gathered. I don't think we would have been able to walk around to where they were, but coming up from the stands we walked right into the middle of it.

I snapped lots of photos of her, the other folks from the ceremony saying a few words, and John Furlong. By the way, he seems to have a big following now . . . I think he got more applause than anyone else being introduced, including the PM and the Governor General. Well, actually the blue coat volunteers got the biggest applause. But as an individual, he received a rousing round of cheers during the ceremony.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2010, 7:12 AM

Global showed the blocked off streets downtown after the ceremonies - looked dead as a doornail.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2010, 7:16 AM
Vancouver Moderator

It's certainly the best paralympic ceremony for sure. The speeches were a few too many speeches but all the visual effects are still there for sure.

Photos in a little bit.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2010, 7:25 AM

Ooops. Completely forgot about it. I feel bad now

Old Posted Mar 13, 2010, 7:28 AM

I was at the opening ceremonies as well. I think this one will count as the best Paralympic openings ever. It was better than I had expected. I have been to both opening ceremonies and the Olympic opening was on a whole other level, but.... this ceremony stood on its own with its own set of wonderful things.

Pre-show had lots of audience participation instruction... it was almost too much but that didn't deter people from getting into it.

If this counts as the organizers say, part of the ceremony should count in the Guiness Book of World Records as the largest Flash Mob. The whole 50k+ people were taught to do a dance, which we all did on cue.

It was heart-warming to see the reception that the parade of nations got. It was done in a way you'd never see at the Olympics, and I think done in a way that really made the athletes feel like superstars.

whatnext, I don't know what streets Global was showing but from my perspective the streets were busy. Yaletown was hopping. People were not loitering as much though, the wind was sure cold.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2010, 7:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Global showed the blocked off streets downtown after the ceremonies - looked dead as a doornail.
they shut all the sites down at 9 pm!

they just did a story on CTV people were complaining they showed up after the opening to check out live city and robson square only to be told it was closed for the night and closing time will be 9 pm

have you seen the new rings? i noticed them at the airport they tacked on the paralympic logo - same with coal harnour they showed it on TV and the flame was going again!

Old Posted Mar 13, 2010, 8:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
and the flame was going again!
Woot! Welcome back Olympics!!

Old Posted Mar 13, 2010, 8:09 AM

For those interested in the origin of the IPC logo,

check out the link http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/flags/oly@ipc.html#ipc_o
The logo uses the symbol of Agitos, meaning "I move" in Latin language.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agito_(symbol).

Last edited by Waders; Mar 13, 2010 at 8:24 AM.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2010, 7:00 PM

First Paralympic Gold on home soil!

Congrats to Brian McKeever and Canada! WOOOT!

http://www.ctvolympics.ca/paralympic...old?cid=rssctv

This joins our 3 silvers and puts us in 3rd place on the podium standings.

Now if only I could have seen that on TV. I'm sure it will be in today's highlights/résumé though.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2010, 7:58 PM
Vancouver User

Gordo Tidbit

I know there's some Gordo love on here so a little tidbit for you...

Was up at Whistler Creek yesterday watching the Paralympic Slalom events for the Visually Impaired & Sitting classes and low and behold who should be not only volunteering (in a blue jacket) but also waving his Beaver Paddled Canadian Flag?! Gordon Campbell!

Good on him.

Last edited by sacrifice333; Mar 16, 2010 at 11:52 PM.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2010, 11:34 PM

CTV to air Paralympic Closing Ceremony Live: http://www.ctvolympics.ca/paralympic...+ceremony+live

Old Posted Mar 21, 2010, 5:09 AM

It's been a great time over the past month or so... I'll be sad to see these events really come to a close.

I have to admit, I am Olympic'ed out though. But this is a good thing... I feel like I was able to take it all in, get my fill, and have memories to last a very long time.

I'll be watching the closing of the Paralympics with bells and whistles. Thanks Canada for such truly golden games.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > 2010 Olympic Winter Games [Archive]