HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > 2010 Olympic Winter Games [Archive]

Old Posted Feb 11, 2010, 8:24 AM

Downtown condo residenta complain about noisy Olympic revellers

I absolutely love the comment section...most people are telling him off, that he's living in the third largest metropolis in Canada and that people like him are the reason why Downtown is so quaint!

Angry Vancouver residents blast noisy Irish

Vancouver Sun
February 10, 2010 8:02 PM

VANCOUVER - Angry Vancouver residents have complained that Irish Olympic Games revellers are too noisy with police receiving a steady stream of calls from bleary-eyed locals.

Locals say they can hardly sleep at night and fear even more noise from the Irish House hospitality tent once the 2010 Games officially get underway Friday.

One resident, noting in shock that the Irish like nothing more than to make merry, complained on a Flickr webpage that the venue, Doolin's, is "essentially a giant pub under a thin sheet of plastic with ridiculously loud live bands."

Another resident, Erin Hudson said that the music hadn't stopped until after 2 a.m "and that's all anybody was talking about in the morning".

According to Vancouver's chief licensing inspector Barbara Windsor, there have been more than two dozen official complaints to city authorities.

She said the venue had agreed to turn down the volume in acknowledgement of the fact that, as more fans arrive, the situation would otherwise deteriorate.

A spokesperson for the Games' organising committee, Lizette Parsons Bell, referred enquiries regarding entertainment facilities during the touornament to the city authorities.

Ireland have a team of six taking part in the Olympics.

Agence France-Presse
© Copyright (c) The Vancouver Sun

anonymous

3:11 AM on February 11, 2010

This comment is hidden because you have chosen to ignore anonymous. Show DetailsHide Details

My favourite Comments I feel they deserve to be repeated: 1.It is my sincere hope that the complaints of these individuals who have chosen to live in the downtown core of Canada's third largest city are taken very seriously ... on February 28. and the funniest one 2. "What a dumb ass place to put a party house though. I think the Germans have the best location at the Rowing Club in Coal Harbour.Looks cool too !" ...Now tell me, if you were heading to a party but two friends were having it the same night. One was German and one was Irish. Which party would you go to? I should know, I married a German but thank god his dad found a fun Irish woman to mix it up with and we alway have one boring Christmas party to go to and FUN one.

anonymous

2:10 AM on February 11, 2010

This comment is hidden because you have chosen to ignore anonymous. Show DetailsHide Details

this is as ridiculous as the people that live by the airport complaining about the noise from jets. i'm going to buy a condo beside gm place and when it gets to loud, i'll complain. "umm excuse me, could you ask the fans to keep the cheering to a minimum". well i guess calgary does have that problem

anonymous

2:09 AM on February 11, 2010

I moved downtown to avoid loud crowds and people!!

anonymous

2:03 AM on February 11, 2010

This is why Vancouver is a joke of a city. Everyone complains, and thats all they do. Suck it up people, if you don't like it, please move away.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2010, 8:27 AM

Friday nights are always quite loud downtown. Lots of people feeling the need to "WOOO!" at 3AM. But, I don't really mind. It's the price you pay for living in a downtown that's populated by actual *people*.

Downtown is not and can not ever be a sleepy bedroom community

Old Posted Feb 11, 2010, 8:49 AM

people whine about anything in this city

Old Posted Feb 11, 2010, 8:50 AM

Including other people whining lol

Old Posted Feb 11, 2010, 9:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume-sama View Post
Including other people whining lol
I feel a RANT to the Georgia Straight coming on ....

Old Posted Feb 11, 2010, 10:25 AM
EdInVan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume-sama View Post
Downtown is not and can not ever be a sleepy bedroom community
I hate to break it to you, but large swathes of downtown already are bedroom communities, and as long as residential developers are given free reign, it will just keep getting worse.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2010, 1:48 PM

From what I've read this goes beyond the normal noise complaints. A few "facts" I've come across (assuming they are legit):

1) Noise was going until 4am on a Tuesday
2) Picture club noise volume, but inside a tent, no sound barrier
3) This is a location that did not have noise before, so this is different than moving next to the airport.

Some people claimed the noise was drowning out their TVs inside the apartment.. that sounds a little harsh.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2010, 2:15 PM

While I understand what people are saying here about complaints, it does sound like this was a bit different.

I read a couple of articles about this. The fact that dozens of official complaints were registered indicates a lot.

This wasn't a typical, "oh people are being so rowdy tonight" experience. The music was so loud people said they had to yell to communicate with each other in their apartments at 2 am on a Tuesday night.

I suspect the tent was really doing nothing to prevent the sound escaping upward. So it was probably almost a stadium effect, only with a person's apartment sitting in the stands instead of being shielded by 5 feet of concrete.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2010, 4:14 PM
Transit User

Move Irish House to Shaughnessy!!!

Old Posted Feb 11, 2010, 4:40 PM
Vancouver User

2 words - Ear Plugs

Old Posted Feb 11, 2010, 9:53 PM

Well as they say "If you can't beat them, join them"

This isn't going to be forever and it is a once in a lifetime thing for this city to have a party.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2010, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacrifice333 View Post
2 words - Ear Plugs
Ear plugs are USELESS for low frequencies (i.e. bass speakers).

Old Posted Feb 11, 2010, 10:33 PM

Irish House sounds lame enough to be shut down anyways.

It's not even IRISH. Other than the fact that Irish people like to drink. It has nothing to do with Ireland in the slightest.

I mean, they serve Molson Canadian, none of the staff are Irish, it's no different from a Boston Pizza Sports Lounge Gimmick alert!

Old Posted Feb 11, 2010, 11:05 PM
ON3P Skis

2 weeks people, 2 weeks. Suck it up.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2010, 12:16 AM

In the summer when I was working overnights there was construction going on in my house everyday for months while I was trying to sleep. I tried using earplugs but of course they don't keep out the low frequency sounds like a hammer pounding on a wall, so I actually borrowed heavy duty ear muffs from one of the construction workers to sleep while having earplugs in lol My point is, sometimes stuff like that is out of your control, however instead of complaining do your best to work with it.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2010, 12:22 AM

Big deal...I had 3 building being simultaneously built on the East/West/South side of the building and 2 sites were pile driving for most of the day....this lasted ~6 months...live with it or move to Abbotsford. You can't be a NIMBY if you don't actually have a back yard

Old Posted Feb 12, 2010, 12:46 AM

try living next to skytrain haha

my friends just moved to marpole and he said the whole apartment shakes when planes take off haha

Old Posted Feb 12, 2010, 4:02 AM

nm

Old Posted Feb 12, 2010, 4:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
try living next to skytrain haha
i'd love to be lulled to sleep by the sounds of mk.1 trains..

Old Posted Feb 12, 2010, 5:29 AM
be nice to the crackheads

Is it really that big of a deal?

I live on a very busy corner in Shanghai. Every night after 8pm, one of the streets acts as a major route for all the late night construction vehicles (like 4 axle vehicles). They honk, gear up and down, and just basically cause a lot of noise. On top of that, I'm a light sleeper and I only have single-paned windows in my apartment.

What's the point of me saying all this? Well, I also live in one of the best locations in the city, if not THE best. I have access to everything. I put up with these relatively minor pains for the greater good of living in an awesome neighborhood.

Last edited by giallo; Feb 12, 2010 at 5:49 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > 2010 Olympic Winter Games [Archive]