HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > 2010 Olympic Winter Games [Archive]

Old Posted Feb 18, 2010, 7:25 AM

I agree, the changes do look better. The view from the observation area is pretty much what most people seemed to have described as what they wanted.

And now on a tangent, if you really wanted to get even closer to an olympic torch then this, I noticed this morning that the torch outside the Olympic Oval in Calgary has been lit as well That you you can walk right up to and touch if you wanted to.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Feb 19, 2010, 12:17 PM

working on a thesis

I'm working on a thesis for a book and I kindly would like to ask if anyone has any response to the particular observations which I'd mentioned—if you don't mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanJerry View Post
I agree with natelox. Well done.

I have 2 design thoughts about the Cauldron arm:

First, whether it was intentional or not, using 4 arms which pivoted towards the central cauldron as they rose provided a wonderful redundancy as they closed with each other. Even if two failed there would still have been an interesting structure. And by one failing it introduced an asymmetry that was organically aesthetic—especially for something crystalline.

Second, whether the fourth indoor arm is rectified in the future, there was during the televising of the ceremony a sense of dramatic progression going from the indoor 3-arm to the outdoor 4-arm structures. The indoor cauldron was surrounded by a mass of humanity. The outdoor cauldron was relatively (in terms of televised framing) lonely—surrounded by dreary weather and open water. Having an additional arm seemed to compensate for this contrast.

That's my lemonade out of lemons.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2010, 2:52 PM

I think you are reading a little too much into it. The 4 arms represent the four host first nations, with Canada at "the top".

The 1 missing arm representing the athlete who died is a little creepy to me, but that's about it.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2010, 10:01 PM

short vid of seeing the cauldron yesterday - some of them i forgot it was in video mode but oh well i included them

Video Link

Old Posted Feb 20, 2010, 6:20 PM

apparently the bottom half of the fence has been replaced with plexi-glass

hosea24hours - http://twitpic.com/14cqkj

Old Posted Feb 20, 2010, 7:34 PM

I almost prefer the chainlink. For photo taking. That glass is going to be DIRTY

Old Posted Feb 20, 2010, 7:50 PM
blog this

Having been down there a couple times it just doesn't make sense to me that the plaza area is closed - this is the first big event since that area opened and it's fenced off!?!? The flame is gorgeous and all but it's just weird to walk down there and stop abruptly on the street when you know that huge plaza is there ... bad planning... couldn't the flame have gone someplace else?

Old Posted Feb 20, 2010, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume-sama View Post
I almost prefer the chainlink. For photo taking. That glass is going to be DIRTY
agreed

Old Posted Feb 20, 2010, 8:33 PM

Plus it is another thing for light to have to filter through and causes distortion...I don't even bother taking pictures through plexiglass.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2010, 9:42 PM

yes i heard them talk about plexiglass on CTV on th 3 am show - so that was fast must have happenned saturday morning

Old Posted Feb 20, 2010, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subdude View Post
Having been down there a couple times it just doesn't make sense to me that the plaza area is closed - this is the first big event since that area opened and it's fenced off!?!? The flame is gorgeous and all but it's just weird to walk down there and stop abruptly on the street when you know that huge plaza is there ... bad planning... couldn't the flame have gone someplace else?
This has symbolized better than anything else the "Us" versus "Them" of the Olympics.

"geeez if we really have to let THEM watch US having a Olympian party, we'd better have something to keep THEM at a safe distance from our flame, champagne and caviar. We wouldn't want to accidentally rub elbows with THEM!"

"Let THEM eat cake!"

Old Posted Feb 21, 2010, 12:17 AM

most olympic flames don't have this much access

i hate that they are keeping it there though afterwards - maybe they can still movie it when its over

Old Posted Feb 21, 2010, 12:50 AM
loafing in lotusland

The flame is treat like it's some sacred thing. To me, if it gets vandalized... so what? Aren't the Olympics more about the spirit of unity than protecting something as if it's some quasi-religious icon? ( I know it kind of fails for many viewers when you're basically pitting countries against each other, but for the athletes, it's a great experience, I'm sure ).

There really needs to be less focus on the symbolism of the games and more on the athlete's performance.

But hey, at least they're listening and somewhat trying.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2010, 1:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoNeurons View Post
The flame is treat like it's some sacred thing. To me, if it gets vandalized... so what? Aren't the Olympics more about the spirit of unity than protecting something as if it's some quasi-religious icon? ( I know it kind of fails for many viewers when you're basically pitting countries against each other, but for the athletes, it's a great experience, I'm sure ).

There really needs to be less focus on the symbolism of the games and more on the athlete's performance.

But hey, at least they're listening and somewhat trying.
Sadly, I will have to disagree. Focussing on the symbolism is the only thing that differentiates the Olympics as a brand from any other sporting event around the world. It (and therefore the cauldron) is their greatest asset in every sense of the word. The IOCs central marketing strategy to preserve and promote all their symbology and lore at all costs.

But Olympics need the athletes and the athletes need the Olympics, it's a mutual benefit.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2010, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume-sama View Post
That's just the centre part.
There's still an adjacent part with an opening in the chain link fence (no plexi) for clear picture taking.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2010, 11:30 PM

From today; all photos mine.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2010, 12:20 AM

Hard to tell, but seems like the edges around the cauldrons don't seem so burnt and black. Which is good.

Athens was really noticable, than their cauldron was white

Old Posted Feb 24, 2010, 2:39 AM

A couple more from tonight; photos mine.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > 2010 Olympic Winter Games [Archive]