HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Mar 23, 2023, 4:51 PM

Old Posted Mar 23, 2023, 4:55 PM

Nice! We can see it take shape! Always interesting to see projects such as this, or any other that isn't just a rectangle, get to ground level.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2023, 1:37 PM

What's everyone's consensus on the location of the new library? I would have thought having it closer to Pimisi station (at the corner of Albert and Booth) would have been better for accessibility.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2023, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueNacho View Post
What's everyone's consensus on the location of the new library? I would have thought having it closer to Pimisi station (at the corner of Albert and Booth) would have been better for accessibility.
I think it would have been better to put it downtown. Closer to Pimisi would also be better. The priority seems to be car users.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2023, 2:53 PM

Quote:
i think it's fine where it is. there are going to be multiple pathways from Pimisi to the library which is not a far distance and will be winter maintained. if someone isn't able to walk or roll that distance i doubt they would be taking public transit to begin with.

i like that there will be height at albert/booth which will help to create a gateway to lebreton flats.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2023, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
I think it would have been better to put it downtown. Closer to Pimisi would also be better. The priority seems to be car users.
I agree that downtown would have been better? Although I do like what they were able to do with the space site at least. Closer to the LRT would have been better, but at about 250M, that's pretty good (we only have 2 stops to serve all of downtown - 1 for the market and 2 for all Lebreton. I think 250M proximity is pretty good to an LRT station.

However, I disagree that the priority was car users? There are only 200 parking spots for a 216,000 SQFT Dual Tennant building and there is very public limited parking in that area. If it were downtown, there would have been plenty of parking options and would have served car users much better in my opinion.

My impression is: "Wow. It will be hard to get parking there, very limited parking. If I someone wants to take a family there with a couple of young kids, what are the options? How far is too far to park and walk?"

Either way - I think this location will encourage public transit if anything...

Old Posted Mar 31, 2023, 3:39 PM

I love the spot it's in. It's right in the middle of what the core of the city will be in 5-7 years after Lebreton/Bayview ramps up, and far more central to dense residential than a CBD location would have been. I wouldn't have wanted to see it in the CBD, which is a ghost town even during the day post-covid. Being next to the station would have been nice, but it would have been further down the hill for people walking from the the dense residential areas on the west side of downtown/centretown.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2023, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Personally, I don't like the location they chose. I would've like to see it connected directly to Pimisi Station. It really bothered me when they first announced the location, but it seemed most people either liked the location they chose or wanted it in the CBD.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2023, 4:05 PM

While the location may not be optimal, it could have been a lot worse. I would have liked to see a walkway from the top of Nanny Goat Hill to to the second (or third) floor of the library though, to make it easier to access from the CBD.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2023, 4:08 PM

I am fine with the location. What we refer to as the CBD is a pretty small area.We are more a city of suburbs. The CBD needs to expand west ward. The development of Lebreton and Bayview will expand it and this new building will then be in the CBD. Let us hope we get the new arena and some other businesses around it to help expansion of the CBD.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2023, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orleans_man View Post
However, I disagree that the priority was car users? There are only 200 parking spots for a 216,000 SQFT Dual Tennant building and there is very public limited parking in that area. If it were downtown, there would have been plenty of parking options and would have served car users much better in my opinion.

My impression is: "Wow. It will be hard to get parking there, very limited parking. If I someone wants to take a family there with a couple of young kids, what are the options? How far is too far to park and walk?"

Either way - I think this location will encourage public transit if anything...
It is 250 m up hill in a desolate area. It is not integrated into any sort of urban fabric. Even if something happens in Lebreton someday, it will also be far from the Library.

It is on a multi-lane traffic sewer. Unless they charge some exorbitant amount for parking (which they probably won’t) there is no incentive to take transit.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2023, 4:22 PM

I'm good with it. I like the prominence on the hill as a western gateway to downtown and as part of what should be an impressive boulevard of major institutions. That end of Lebreton is already starting to feel built up, and this will anchor the Lebreton/West Centretown neighbourhood. It's also really not very far at all from transit - I don't see the complaints about what is maybe a 3 minute walk?

Old Posted Mar 31, 2023, 4:22 PM

Quote:
It is 250 m up hill in a desolate area. It is not integrated into any sort of urban fabric. Even if something happens in Lebreton someday, it will also be far from the Library.

It is on a multi-lane traffic sewer. Unless they charge some exorbitant amount for parking (which they probably won’t) there is no incentive to take transit.
This is a very old fashioned Ottawa attitude. We have to plan for the future, not build for the present.

'Even if something happens in Lebreton someday, it will also be far from the Library.'

Lebreton IS HAPPENING right now, it will continue to happen, and how is it far from the library when the library is literally in Lebreton Flats? 1-6 blocks is far?

Old Posted Mar 31, 2023, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
This is a very old fashioned Ottawa attitude. We have to plan for the future, not build for the present.

'Even if something happens in Lebreton someday, it will also be far from the Library.'

Lebreton IS HAPPENING right now, it will continue to happen, and how is it far from the library when the library is literally in Lebreton Flats? 1-6 blocks is far?
Lebreton is not happening. There is a vapourware project at the west side of the flats where no serious construction has started despite years of promises. On the East Side Claridge continues to build one tower in the park at a time, which they have been doing for the last 15 years. Other than the cafeteria of the war museum, there is nowhere to get a coffee or a sandwich, let alone groceries or a beer.

Maybe something might happen someday, but even if it did it would be nowhere near the library.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2023, 4:57 PM

I'll set a reminder to revisit this conversation in five years

Dream will have shovels in the ground shortly. Despite political posturing, I guarantee the arena district will be on LeBreton as well. The Trinity site will have something in five years, although maybe not what is planned currently. Claridge will have at least two more towers up on the flats. Zibi will have hundreds of new residents within walking distance. We'll likely see development on the escarpment plot after the road realignment is finished. The massive plots in the center of the flats will probably have solid proposals and/or construction in five years as well.

But then, what do I know...my job is to meet with local developers all day every day.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2023, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Lebreton is not happening. There is a vapourware project at the west side of the flats where no serious construction has started despite years of promises. On the East Side Claridge continues to build one tower in the park at a time, which they have been doing for the last 15 years. Other than the cafeteria of the war museum, there is nowhere to get a coffee or a sandwich, let alone groceries or a beer.

Maybe something might happen someday, but even if it did it would be nowhere near the library.
hahahahahahahahahahahahahah i'm hesitant to even spend time responding to this but alas.

as harley613 mentioned, dream will have shovels in the ground shortly. it was meant to be this month but there have been some small changes with the project that has pushed it back. the project will have 9 different retail spaces and they are targeting a wide variety of tenants including restaraunts. the project is scheduled to be completed end of 2026 and will have close to 1000 people living there. this site is directly adjacent to the library and will have an MUP connecting the two.

the flats phase has already been put out to market. i heard there was a soft response to this because the NCC wanted whoever won to construct all the utilities even though they would only be leasing the land from the NCC. this parcel might not be moving as quickly as they had hoped but it is happening.

the event centre parcel is moving forward. i honestly think all the fluff about the sens going somewhere else is just to keep the NCC on their toes and not to just assume.

zibi is a bit farther of a walk but it is very much happening.

the intersection of albert/slater/bronson is being completely reconstructed.

maybe you haven't been down to the area recently but as someone that bikes through there almost every day - there is lots happening.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2023, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzingle Bells View Post
hahahahahahahahahahahahahah i'm hesitant to even spend time responding to this but alas.

as harley613 mentioned, dream will have shovels in the ground shortly. it was meant to be this month but there have been some small changes with the project that has pushed it back. the project will have 9 different retail spaces and they are targeting a wide variety of tenants including restaraunts. the project is scheduled to be completed end of 2026 and will have close to 1000 people living there. this site is directly adjacent to the library and will have an MUP connecting the two.

the flats phase has already been put out to market. i heard there was a soft response to this because the NCC wanted whoever won to construct all the utilities even though they would only be leasing the land from the NCC. this parcel might not be moving as quickly as they had hoped but it is happening.

the event centre parcel is moving forward. i honestly think all the fluff about the sens going somewhere else is just to keep the NCC on their toes and not to just assume.

zibi is a bit farther of a walk but it is very much happening.

the intersection of albert/slater/bronson is being completely reconstructed.

maybe you haven't been down to the area recently but as someone that bikes through there almost every day - there is lots happening.
I can literally see almost the entire flats from my living room window. I can’t imagine any route that you could bike that would indicate there was a lot going on.

Zibi seems promising and hopefully construction in Ontario will start soon, but it is not on the Lebreton flats and nowhere near the Library.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2023, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Zibi seems promising and hopefully construction in Ontario will start soon, but it is not on the Lebreton flats and nowhere near the Library.
Zibi is literally less than 2k away from the new library. That's between 10-15min walk. Our idea of distances seem to be widely different if you think Zibi is not close to the library. This would fall within the 15min neighbourhood concept so yes i consider this close

Old Posted Mar 31, 2023, 7:29 PM

The construction starting in Ontario soon is Dream, which is ON the flats, Trinity Station potentially, which is directly adjacent to the flats, and tower 2 of the new Claridge development which is also ON the flats. All of this is extremely close to the library.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2023, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL123 View Post
Zibi is literally less than 2k away from the new library. That's between 10-15min walk. Our idea of distances seem to be widely different if you think Zibi is not close to the library. This would fall within the 15min neighbourhood concept so yes i consider this close
2km is more like a 25 minute walk, that isn’t how 15 minute neighborhoods are designed.

It is the distance from the Garden of the Provinces to King Edward for example.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa