HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Sep 12, 2014, 2:15 AM
Elle est déjà vide!

Great news, of course. The thing that really matters is the correct location. Bayview isn't. It's too far outside the downtown core to be downtown. Mind you, there ought to be thought given to a branch in that area to serve the future Bayview and Lebreton neighbourhoods, but the true Central Library should be in the hypercore, i.e. between Wellington, Lyon, Somerset, and the Canal. Maybe Waller - the Arts Court site would've been a good one, and so would the remaining empty half of the "teardrop" north of the Desmarais Building, although that one isn't for sale. A new Central Library should not cannibalize the Rideau Street branch and it should be a walk-to destination.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2014, 3:03 AM

Last edited by Urbanarchit; Aug 27, 2015 at 4:31 PM.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 11:42 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Watson throws support behind new central library for Ottawa

Joanne Chianello, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: September 16, 2014Last Updated: September 16, 2014 7:15 AM EDT

Jim Watson wants a new central library.

After years of skepticism about whether Ottawa needed or could afford a replacement for the dilapidated main branch at Metcalfe and Laurier, the mayor on Monday night announced his support for a public-private partnership (P3) to build a new library, should he be re-elected as mayor on Oct. 27.

“Now is an opportunity for us to partner with someone or a group of organizations to come up with a plan that we can afford,” said Watson. If re-elected, he’s vowing to take 2015 to bring together potential partners and consult the public about the possibilities for a new library.

“A bigger turning point was when I was on a tour (of the building) … and it’s really inaccessible,” Watson said. “I think we can do better.”

Watson even has an idea for the new location: Bayview Yards, where the city is partnering with the province to build the new Innovation Centre. Watson will find support for the location from Ottawa Centre Liberal MPP Yasir Naqvi, who recently made the same suggestion.

However, LeBreton Flats is also a possibility, according to Watson, considering that the National Capital Commission recently stated that it’s looking for a major public institution to anchor the second phase of the LeBreton’s redevelopment. Private developers have also expressed interest in partnering to build a library.

“I don’t want to rule in or out anything until we look at all the different possibilities,” said Watson, although he added he wants to see the new library built on either the Confederation Line or the O-Train line.

Referring to a new library as an “interesting but somewhat secondary distraction” that no one is raising at the door, mayoral candidate Mike Maguire expressed concern about how much public input will go into this “multi-million dollar deal.”

“Library design is quite expensive, and we should have had a public discussion about what role a new central library will play in an ever-more digital world,” Maguire said.

The announcement, made at the latest of Watson’s campaign launch rallies, wasn’t a complete surprise.

The Ottawa Public Library board, headed by Barrhaven Coun. Jan Harder, has been inching its way toward this moment for months.

Earlier this year, a comprehensive study looking at the physical condition of the existing 40-year-old central branch estimated it would cost at least $70 million to rehabilitate the building in order to make it viable for the next 20 years.

Considering that Halifax’s public library was built from scratch for about $57 million, it didn’t make much sense to spend $70 million to renovate a substandard building.

In the past few months, the library board has approved the hiring of a consultant to develop a business case for a new central library and to oversee a future tendering process for the city to build a new library in partnership with the private sector.

If the P3 doesn’t happen, that doesn’t mean the project is off the table, Watson said. He also said that while the city will commit funds from the capital budget, it’s too early to say how much the city would invest in the project or what city land it might contribute.

Watson pointed to a number of successful P3 projects around the city, including the Lansdowne Park redevelopment and the recently approved Arts Court expansion, which will include condos and a hotel.

“P3 always sounds great … until you get the bill,” warned Maguire. “What P3 does is turn what was once a municipal function — providing a library service — into a profit-generating enterprise because the partner has to make back their investment.”

jchianello@ottawacitizen.com
twitter.com/jchianello

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/0916-watson

Old Posted Sep 19, 2014, 12:20 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Keep the Ottawa Public Library where it is

By Ron Corbett, Ottawa Sun
First posted: Thursday, September 18, 2014 04:53 PM EDT | Updated: Thursday, September 18, 2014 05:19 PM EDT

With little more than five weeks to go in the municipal election, it seems unlikely an issue will emerge that can kick some life into the mayoral campaign.

Unexpected, quirky, sudden-appearing-things have saved us in the past. The teacher's college. The Rideau Street pedestrian walkway. Larry O'Brien.

Although it seems unlikely we can be that lucky again, the main branch of the Ottawa Public Library has potential. (Memo to Mike Maguire.)

From having covered this story for about the entire length of the debate, I can tell you it stirs surprising passion. Reminds me in many ways of the old pedestrian walkway and teacher's college debates.

There is something tangible at the heart of it -- a building. There is a clearly understood problem -- bad building. Two distinct schools of thought on how to solve the problem -- ignore bad building; build good building.

I have always believed the main branch of the Ottawa Public Library is about as attractive and welcoming as a septic spill, so I am on the side of getting a new one. But I couldn't help but groan when the mayor came out in support of the idea.

Right out the gate Watson said it needed to be a P3 arrangement, these being all the rage nowadays, (Lansdowne Park, Arts Court, etc.).

He also said there needed to be a new location for any central branch. He likes Bayview Yards. If not Bayview, than perhaps Lebreton Flats.

Both locations will be on the new LRT line. The mayor was quite up front about liking those locations for exactly that reason.

But is this what people who use the library want?

A 2012 city report on the main branch listed what people liked and disliked about the branch and while the dislikes are almost comical -- the washrooms could be cleaned; it would be nice to get Wi-Fi -- there was one big like.

The location. Everyone loved the location.

First thing the mayor wants to do is change the location. Is his support meant to help the library or help the LRT? You have to wonder.

I was also gob-smacked at Watson's almost waif-like admission that he recently toured the main branch and was surprised at how "inaccessible" it was.

Really? That comes as a surprise? I thought it was legendary.

The main branch of the Ottawa Public Library is the only public building I've ever been in where the escalator got bored with the job and decided not to come down.

Just not into it anymore. Sorry.

There was actually a time when I would study near the top of those escalators just so I could watch the small, human drama of first-time library users trying to get out.

I would watch as they returned to where they got off the escalator. Peer around support columns. Down aisles. Circle the librarian station thinking it must work like some department stores, with a down escalator the other side of a wall.

If they were of a shy, never-want-to-ask-a-question nature -- and this would be almost sad to watch -- they would keep circling.

I normally wouldn't let it get that far.

"You need the stairs," I would whisper.

"There's no down escalator?"

"There's no down escalator. Elevators aren't working."

"Are you serious?"

So inaccessible, sure, I guess you can use that word to describe the main branch of the Ottawa Public Library. But if the mayor is truly a fan of language I don't understand his hesitation to use the fun words:

Byzantine, circumambulated, nonsensical, labyrinth, warren, multipart, multifaceted, multifarious, ridiculous.

Or the fun phrases:

Oddly anti-social, cognizant resistant, drunken experimental urban design, perpetual ascension, Martha-come-here-you're-not-going-to-believe-this.

Or inaccessible. If that helps us get a decent library, sure, let's use that one.

And let's build this new, accessible library at the corner of Metcalfe and Laurier.

http://www.ottawasun.com/2014/09/18/...ry-where-it-is

Old Posted Sep 19, 2014, 12:50 PM

When the issue of a new central library first came up, Kitchener was having the same discussion. A new downtown location was considered, rejected, and a plan was made for the renovation and expansion of the existing central library. That $40 million project had its official opening two weeks ago. The Kitchener Central Library is a beautiful facility. Ottawa continues to discuss what to do about its central library. I suspect the discussion will continue for some time.

My sojourn down here in K-W has been like a breath of fresh air.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2014, 1:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
When the issue of a new central library first came up, Kitchener was having the same discussion. A new downtown location was considered, rejected, and a plan was made for the renovation and expansion of the existing central library. That $40 million project had its official opening two weeks ago. The Kitchener Central Library is a beautiful facility. Ottawa continues to discuss what to do about its central library. I suspect the discussion will continue for some time.

My sojourn down here in K-W has been like a breath of fresh air.
Yeah, that project had one of the most impressive holes I've ever seen. Would like to see the result. Given that it sits in the designated civic district with lots of space, expanding was a no-brainer.

I did notice that city council just voted to delay a quite modest 18-storey condo building downtown on Victoria Street one minute from the transit hub in response to classic NIMBYism (with t-shirts no less!), and the opposition to the first bike lane (on industrial Manitou Drive of all places) is fierce and organized, so there are a few hiccups there too.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2014, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil235 View Post
Yeah, that project had one of the most impressive holes I've ever seen. Would like to see the result. Given that it sits in the designated civic district with lots of space, expanding was a no-brainer.

I did notice that city council just voted to delay a quite modest 18-storey condo building downtown on Victoria Street one minute from the transit hub in response to classic NIMBYism (with t-shirts no less!), and the opposition to the first bike lane (on industrial Manitou Drive of all places) is fierce and organized, so there are a few hiccups there too.
Oh, they have debates and opposition down here as well, but they generally seem to be able to work things out relatively efficiently. The bike lanes thing was approved the other day, despite the NIMBY/business opposition. The delay re approval of the new condo tower project (and another smaller project on a residential street) reflects, I think, the upcoming municipal election - a bit chickensh*t on the part of councillors, but what can you do? I will really be surprised if the new city council doesn't approve the new condo projects quickly, even if it's with adjustments.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2014, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Oh, they have debates and opposition down here as well, but they generally seem to be able to work things out relatively efficiently. The bike lanes thing was approved the other day, despite the NIMBY/business opposition. The delay re approval of the new condo tower project (and another smaller project on a residential street) reflects, I think, the upcoming municipal election - a bit chickensh*t on the part of councillors, but what can you do? I will really be surprised if the new city council doesn't approve the new condo projects quickly, even if it's with adjustments.
Yeah, there are definitely political considerations impacting that decision. It would be insane not to approve that development, given where it is located.

I get the impression that the opposition to intensification and green projects like transit and bike lanes is greater in KW than it is in Ottawa, as Ottawa has more of a core of urban residents who tend to be strong on those items. But maybe I'm talking to the wrong people (my dad).

Old Posted Sep 19, 2014, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil235 View Post
Yeah, there are definitely political considerations impacting that decision. It would be insane not to approve that development, given where it is located.

I get the impression that the opposition to intensification and green projects like transit and bike lanes is greater in KW than it is in Ottawa, as Ottawa has more of a core of urban residents who tend to be strong on those items. But maybe I'm talking to the wrong people (my dad).
The difference could be that opponents seem less able to sidetrack projects down here. I guess one could have a discussion about whether that's a good thing or a bad thing. There will be a test in the upcoming regional election, since opposition to the ION LRT project is huge. We'll see if the opponents running for office prevail (I doubt it, but we'll see).

Old Posted Sep 19, 2014, 5:02 PM

Quote:
The difference could be that opponents seem less able to sidetrack projects down here. I guess one could have a discussion about whether that's a good thing or a bad thing. There will be a test in the upcoming regional election, since opposition to the ION LRT project is huge. We'll see if the opponents running for office prevail (I doubt it, but we'll see).
If they were able to reverse course on the LRT at this point, that would be a disaster.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2014, 5:26 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Candidates fight over new library location

Matthew Pearson, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: September 19, 2014, Last Updated: September 19, 2014 12:15 PM EDT

A new central library should be built in the ByWard Market, says Catherine Fortin LeFaivre, a candidate in the Rideau-Vanier ward.

Jim Watson’s campaign pledge that he would support a public-private partnership (P3) to build a new library should he be re-elected mayor on Oct. 27 is not even a week old and already candidates in various urban wards are fighting over where the thing, if ever approved, should go.

“Ottawa’s central library belongs to all citizens and should be in the heart of their city and within a short walking distance of other landmarks like the Parliament Buildings, the National Art Gallery and Notre Dame Basilica,” LeFaivre said Friday in a release.

She also notes the location would be close to the new light-rail station at Rideau and help revitalize the market.

But Watson, and Ottawa Centre MPP Yasir Naqvi before him, have suggested the new library could be built at Bayview Yards, where the city is partnering with the province on a new Innovation Centre.

“Before we start talking about other sites that are not even central, we need to consider the sites that are very central, where tourists and residents enjoy and where there’s an opportunity to create an even better use of public space,” Fortin LeFaivre said in an interview.

According to her, the city is thinking about putting public parking underground. If that happens, two sites come to mind — a city-owned lot on Clarence Street and a narrow island of parking on York Street, which is about three car-lengths wide. Think of it as that long BeaverTail, between Bare Fax and the Laff.

Hardly seems like a large enough space for a new central library, particularly when one considers similar projects in Halifax and Vancouver.

Fortin LeFaivre, who is seeking to unseat Coun. Mathieu Fleury, says a library in the ByWard Market could become a new anchor for the area.

“I think people want something bolder out of the market, that’s what I hear a lot,” she said.

“The city hasn’t really invested much in a long time in the market to make it something bigger.”

She’s aware Watson has suggested Bayview but doesn’t think it should be a fait accompli.

“The mayor obviously has another agenda but just because he suggests Bayview. I don’t think the councillor for Rideau-Vanier should just not say anything.”

Meanwhile, at least one candidate in Somerset ward — where the Laurier Avenue West branch is currently located — says the library should stay downtown.

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-...brary-location

Old Posted Sep 19, 2014, 5:49 PM

The market is a terrible place for a library IMO. Same with anywhere on the east shoulder of downtown really. That place is evolving as Ottawa's arts/entertainment district which is a bad fit for a library.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2014, 5:50 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

in the Byward Market? Seems like a strange idea, given her proposed locations.

However, putting parking underground is a great idea. In many Swiss cities, they create paid underground parking lots beneath public open spaces, like squares or parks. The city gets the revenue and the people get more open space. The Parkhaus Opéra in Zürich is a recent example.

http://www.swiss-architects.com/en/z...tenplatz-45157

Old Posted Sep 19, 2014, 8:05 PM

I think it would've been cool to fix up a bit and host the central library in the Alliance building on Gilmour. It's central/downtown enough to be easily reachable, a location filled with residential around (not like in the middle of downtown with empty office spaces after work hours) and a park just in front of it.

But realistically, I dont think the market is a good place... Maybe either Bayview, Lebreton or KingEdward/Rideau?

Old Posted Sep 19, 2014, 9:07 PM

I've been away from Ottawa for a number of years, but what would be wrong with the site on Kent between Queen and Albert? Isn't that still waiting to be developed? Or was that dismissed the last time they discussed a new location?

Old Posted Sep 19, 2014, 9:29 PM
arf

To me a library system is a library system. With an on-line presence and the ability to inter-loan books my library in Regina means I frequent three branches and I can survive without a centrally located one, although I do frequent the central one a lot because it's a short walk from work and I can pick up requested materials at lunch, but the other two I go to are outside the centre. Look at patron patterns and locate the 'central' based on those patterns and easy access from those patterns. Add proximity to parks and recreation, proximity to transit, proximity to bike routes and they should be able to narrow down where this should exist. Having lived in Ottawa I have to say the Alliance Building is an interesting choice. In Regina I love where the central library is downtown on the NorthWest corner of Victoria Park. It services us well and with its film theatre is part (albeit small) of the local entertainment scene.

I don't mind the idea of the location being in the market in Ottawa. Different users at different times of the day and week are what make areas great.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Sep 20, 2014, 4:12 AM

I have to agree with Watson. Bayview is perfect...because it IS central. Someday, in the near future, Lebreton Flats will be converted into a lively and dense community, Bayview will be a nexus of employment and probably high density retail, and the Oak Street complex will be mowed down and replaced with a mixed-use development. The massive condo developments in Little Italy will sprout up like dandelions when the market rebounds. The transfer station between the Trillium and Confederation Lines...there really couldn't be a better spot for a library in a few years when the ribbon is cut.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2014, 6:37 PM

As a few others have said, the Market, or anywhere east of the Canal, would not be a good location for the library. Seems to me a Central Library should be in a more upscale, "mature" part of town (CBD or LeBreton/Bayview), not in a bar district.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2014, 6:45 PM

Quote:
I've been away from Ottawa for a number of years, but what would be wrong with the site on Kent between Queen and Albert? Isn't that still waiting to be developed? Or was that dismissed the last time they discussed a new location?
That parking lot is owned by Brookfield, a company that deals only with office space. Since office space isn't in demand at the moment, I can't see them entering into a deal with the City for a P3 library.

The only two CBD sites that could possibly host a library would be the Glue Pot Pub Claridge site or Broccolini's Alterna site (the City's choice a few years ago).

Old Posted Sep 21, 2014, 1:54 AM

Or Ottawa Tech.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa