HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west-town-brad View Post
it shouldn't be legal to build the building that's been there for 100+ years?
I'm no libertarian, but if we make it legal to build what people want where people want, we're going to end up with tons more usable density than if we just try to legislate what we want. It's illegal to build Lincoln Park, Georgetown or Greenwich Village almost anywhere in the country. Just remove parking minimums and allow people to build as many units as they want as high as they want. Then, if like in downtown Tokyo, someone wants to shell out millions to build a SFH in the Loop, I don't have a problem with it.

The fact is that it's often only possible in the first place to sell land in Lincoln Park for cheap enough to make a SFH financially feasible because the price of the land is effectively capped because it's so hard to build apartments on it.

Old Posted May 16, 2020, 2:26 AM

306 W Erie

May 13

Old Posted May 16, 2020, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
100000% agree. Everyone should take a look at the daily feed of demo permits issued. Soooo many are on the south and west side. A lot of them are emergency demos meaning the buildings are not safe. Tons of good housing stock being lost either in general or because the buildings have become neglected. These parts of town have just as much awesome older housing stock as north sode that we all focus a ton on..

I might put together some stats later on south vs. West. Vs. North side/downtown demo. It might surprise some people.
Here is a map I put together last year, of Emergency demolition permits on residential buildings in for which the city was listed as owner.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?h...788928605&z=11

Old Posted May 16, 2020, 3:22 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKDickman View Post
Here is a map I put together last year, of Emergency demolition permits on residential buildings in for which the city was listed as owner.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?h...788928605&z=11
Wow. It makes me wonder how many of those buildings were in good enough condition to rehab instead of demolish.
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted May 16, 2020, 11:19 PM

Seeing that map makes it feel like urban renewal part 2. Sad to loose those buildings.

Old Posted May 17, 2020, 9:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomrQT View Post
Wow. It makes me wonder how many of those buildings were in good enough condition to rehab instead of demolish.
Almost all non frame buildings are salvagable...

Reddit.com/r/REbubble

Old Posted May 17, 2020, 4:58 PM

Uptown - Sheridan and Leland

May 3

Chicago by Harry Carmichael, on Flickr

Old Posted May 17, 2020, 5:03 PM

Uptown - somewhere on Broadway

May 3

Old Posted May 17, 2020, 10:28 PM

RUSH - 121 S Ashland

May 13

Chicago | RUSH by Harry Carmichael, on Flickr

Old Posted May 19, 2020, 12:39 AM

There is a zoning app up which details building a new 7 story, 83 foot 8 inch tall building at 1623-31 N Halsted Street which would have 79 residential units or hotel rooms (not sure which one) with ground floor retail, 79 bike spaces, and 0 parking spaces. Owner/developer is Logan Ventures Fund and they bought those properties 7 years ago. They checked the ARO box, so it's probably residential.

Very very close to Steppenwolf Theater (and the expansion going on now) along with the North/Clybourn Red Line stop and all the stores there. Looks like it would knock down these 4 buildings:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/16...!4d-87.6480748

Old Posted May 19, 2020, 1:06 PM

Quote:
There is a zoning app up which details building a new 7 story, 83 foot 8 inch tall building at 1623-31 N Halsted Street which would have 79 residential units or hotel rooms (not sure which one) with ground floor retail, 79 bike spaces, and 0 parking spaces. Owner/developer is Logan Ventures Fund and they bought those properties 7 years ago. They checked the ARO box, so it's probably residential.

Very very close to Steppenwolf Theater (and the expansion going on now) along with the North/Clybourn Red Line stop and all the stores there. Looks like it would knock down these 4 buildings:
It is residential- expect sorta faux industrial similar to fulton market. Good density, ok design.

Old Posted May 19, 2020, 1:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrdoSeclorum View Post
I'm no libertarian, but if we make it legal to build what people want where people want, we're going to end up with tons more usable density than if we just try to legislate what we want. It's illegal to build Lincoln Park, Georgetown or Greenwich Village almost anywhere in the country. Just remove parking minimums and allow people to build as many units as they want as high as they want. Then, if like in downtown Tokyo, someone wants to shell out millions to build a SFH in the Loop, I don't have a problem with it.

The fact is that it's often only possible in the first place to sell land in Lincoln Park for cheap enough to make a SFH financially feasible because the price of the land is effectively capped because it's so hard to build apartments on it.
Along with requiring some but not all units to be accessible. If you could build six-story walk ups with no parking, no ramps and no elevators (passenger or service), you would get affordable housing.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 3:34 PM

Quote:

With the exception of that nice old brick building on the end, seems like a worthy replacement for all the added density

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiPlanner View Post
It is residential- expect sorta faux industrial similar to fulton market. Good density, ok design.
Any renderings of it?

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Any renderings of it?
I've only seen them- it should hit zoning/plan commission shortly

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 6:54 PM

Quote:

2/4 are fairly recent builds. I've noticed a few other buildings <15 yrs old meet the wrecking ball.

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 1:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
May 3

That's Broadway & Foster.

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 2:11 AM

The Presidential Towers space that used to be a Walmart is now going to be a Porsche dealer. That is a weird twist I didn't see coming - but its kind of good outcome for that space? The McLaren showroom a few blocks north seems to be doing fine, wonder if we could see more of this kind of format in the area.

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 2:34 AM
TL;DR

It's interesting to see these car dealerships switch to a more urban format. Too bad it's all luxury brands, I don't really see a lot of lower and mid-level brands opening these urban dealerships. Honda is the only one with their dealership at Clark/Maple.

Fox Ford on Elston is 2 stories, but it's still basically a suburban design. Rogers Chevy on S Michigan is a leftover 50s style dealership that just hung on.

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 9:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioguy View Post
that's broadway & foster.
ty !

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development