HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Dec 18, 2022, 10:19 PM

FINLAND throughout the seasons (ongoing)

I don't think my home country of FINLAND gets nearly enough attention on this forum and that should be fixed. We tend to visit home every 1-2 years and in recent years I have also started taking more and more pictures on these trips.

This will be an ongoing photo thread with more being added every year.

We start with our second latest trip from the very last days of 2019. Snow had already started falling and days were very short, making for a dark yet very atmospheric winter season.

The following photos are from the region of North Karelia (Pohjois-Karjala) in the Eastern Finland. We made a day trip to the small town of Nurmes, where there is a newly renovated spa next to a heritage village.

The spa was really nice and one can find many nice spas in Eastern Finland. Most of them used to cater to Russian tourists, which were still plentiful back in 2019. I would highly recommend them especially during cold winter days.

Video Link

The capital of North Karelia is the city of Joensuu. It is a busy university town of 77,266 people with 115,000 people living in the metro area. It is where we went to school and will always have a special place in our hearts.

In the early 2010s the city renovated several old buildings into an Arts & Crafts Quarter which is nowadays quite nice with a couple of small cafes.

The second tallest building in Joensuu is a 14-floor mass timber structure which is housing for university students. The building was completed in 2018 and is located in the new Penttilänranta neighborhood.

Since it's seasonally appropriate, I am also including few photos from Koli, a small national park in Eastern Finland. We have visited here often as on top of Ukko-Koli there is another excellent spa. The views from the very top are considered a protected national landscape of Lake Pielinen.

Video Link

Last edited by Klazu; Jan 7, 2023 at 7:54 PM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos