HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jan 2, 2014, 7:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 599GTO View Post
Glad that bridge was never built.
You're kidding right? It would have been a national treasure right up there with the Golden Gate, Brooklyn Bridge, Gateway Arch, ESB, etc.

Look at how massive it is. Just the sight of it would have made people's jaw drop in amazement.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2014, 2:37 PM

The revised design was still impressive. It would have been one of the great wonders of our long destroyed civilization.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2014, 5:39 PM

^ that is the current George Washington Bridge, they just never covered the steel skeleton in stone

Old Posted Jan 2, 2014, 7:38 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.thehudsonindependent.com/...-bridge-update

New Tappan Zee Bridge Update

by Brian Conybeare
02 January 2014

Quote:
Governor Andrew M. Cuomo announced on Dec. 19, 2013, that the New York State Thruway Authority and the U.S. Department of Transportation closed on a record-setting $1.6 billion low-interest loan for the New NY Bridge project.

The loan, which comes from the federal Transportation Infrastructure Finance and Innovation Act (TIFIA) program, will help finance the $3.9 billion project; it carries an interest rate of less than 4 percent, and very favorable repayment terms that will help keep future tolls on the new bridge as low as possible. Governor Cuomo has also called for the creation of a Toll and Financing Task Force to look at possible additional sources of revenue and consider overall toll rates, as well as potential discounts for commuters and local residents.

Meanwhile, construction is starting to ramp up on this historic project. The first of about 1,000 permanent pilings are already being installed by Tappan Zee Constructors, LLC (TZC) to support the new twin-span bridge, which is designed to last 100 years or more. There are approximately four dozen TZC barges, boats and other vessels on the Hudson right now, and that number could double by this coming summer.

The year ahead will be a very big year for the project. Already, about 600 direct jobs have been created and that number will rise in the coming months as more workers join in the effort. Some 500 companies have benefitted from the project so far, with many of them calling the Hudson Valley region home.
Our goal is to keep the project on schedule and on budget while maintaining an unprecedented level of public involvement and transparency.

http://nypost.com/2013/12/31/monster...an-zee-bridge/

Monster crane coming to hoist new Tappan Zee

By Rebecca Harshbarger
December 31, 2013

Quote:
A monster crane is traveling on a 6000-mile odyssey form California to New York through the Panama Canal to build the new Tappan Zee bridge.

The powerful 400-foot floating crane, which sits on a barge, has been dubbed the Left Coast Lifter after its work on the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge.

One of the largest cranes in the United States, it can lift up to 750 tons.

The Lifter has traveled over 1,600 nautical miles so far since it left Oakland Harbor on Dec. 21, according to officials.

It is currently at sea near Punta San Telmo in Mexico, and is expected to pass through the Panama Canal in mid-January.

It will reach New York in February after 6 to 8 weeks of travel.

The massive crane, which will float on a barge in the Hudson River, can lift up to 1750 tons.

It will take down the current Tappan Zee Bridge, the longest span in New York, and build the new one’s structure and foundation.

The new bridge is expected to cost $3.9 billion, and its first span will open in 2016. It is slated to finish in 2018.

Video Link

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2014, 11:20 PM

some minor trouble, it's happened before
http://www.lohud.com/article/20140103/NEWS/301030058/

Quote:
Whipping winds from Friday’s snowstorm caused a pair of construction barges to break free from the Tappan Zee Bridge construction site, with one traveling almost 15 miles down the Hudson River before being recovered, officials confirmed.
One barge was recovered near the George Washington Bridge and another was found near Ardsley, a state official told The Journal News.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2014, 4:15 PM

Lifting crane looks right on track - half-way through the Panama Canal.

http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/...mmsi:303350200

Old Posted Jan 22, 2014, 9:28 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

The New York Observer:

Rename the Tappan Zee for Mario Cuomo
By The Editors 1/21 6:25pm

Quote:
As work begins in earnest to replace the Tappan Zee Bridge with a new and more-durable span, it’s time to think about what the new bridge will be called.

For now, of course, it’s simply called the new Tappan Zee Bridge, which represents a nice historical continuity even if it suggests a conspicuous lack of imagination. Here’s a better choice, one that the current governor of New York might be a little shy about proposing. The new bridge should be named in honor of former Governor Mario Cuomo.

Now 81 years old, Mr. Cuomo is a reminder of a time when many people believed New York—or more precisely, what Mr. Cuomo often called the New York idea—was finished. He came of age politically in the turbulent 1970s, was part of two of the most-memorable political campaigns of the late 20th century (both against Ed Koch) and during his 12 years as governor articulated a vision of New York that captured the nation’s imagination and helped revive the state’s morale.

Mr. Cuomo gained his greatest fame as a man of words, rhythmic words strung together with precision and spoken with the cadence of a man who understood that even in an age of image, words still mattered. He was the face of New York for a dozen memorable years as he built on Gov. Hugh Carey’s rescue operation of the 1970s and made it possible for his successors, including his son, to speak of the state’s commitment to social justice and economic development. Jobs and justice, he once said. A head and a heart.

He had both as governor and retains both in his low-profile role as a wise elder and statesman. We don’t hear enough of him now, but that may be understandable given that there is another Governor Cuomo in residence on Albany’s Eagle Street these days. But his understandable silence only reminds us of a time when his voice stirred even his critics.

Nelson Rockefeller left behind his monuments. Hugh Carey left behind a stable ledger sheet. Mario Cuomo’s legacy would seem more elusive, less tangible. To be sure, there were no great Rockefeller-like initiatives (the state couldn’t afford them anyway). And there was no existential crisis to manage, as there was during the Carey years.

But for 12 years, Mario Cuomo gave us a post-fiscal crisis narrative of grit and determination, an epic poem in tribute to the state’s role in creating modern America.

Mario Cuomo deserves a tribute, just as surely as his friends and rivals have been memorialized with a tunnel and a bridge.

The new Tappan Zee Bridge? Nothing doing. Call it the Mario Cuomo Bridge.
Honestly, I liked the name Tappan Zee...

~ My Stamford, CT Thread ~~ My Danbury, CT Thread ~

Old Posted Jan 22, 2014, 9:43 PM

Tappan Zee will always be the name of the bridge because that's what the Dutch settlers named that stretch of the Hudson (after the Tappan natives)
The current bridge is already named after another governor; Malcom Wilson. Though all they did is just stick his name in front.

Gov Malcolm Wilson Tappan Zee Bridge by Jack Thomas on Flickr

Old Posted Jan 23, 2014, 7:03 PM

Brooklyn Battery Tunnel, Triborough Bridge, Queensboro / 59th Street Bridge, Avenue of the Americas, Tappan Zee Bridge... politicians like the rename things to honor their predecessors but when things have a long established name the public (especially in NY) rarely play along. Hell, I still catch myself saying Shea and Giants Stadium sometimes even though those are totally new facilities.

Last edited by drumz0rz; Jan 24, 2014 at 3:24 PM.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2014, 6:57 PM

http://news.hamlethub.com/mamaroneck...-lift-ny-crane

"I Lift NY" Crane

Published on Tuesday, 21 January 2014 08:36
Written by Lorena

The crane that will help construct the New NY Bridge passed through the Panama Canal on January 17. As the crane barge "I Lift NY" exits the Panama Canal, New York State Gov. Andrew Cuomo and the New York State Thruway Authority await the crane to make its appearance to the Hudson River.

The crane began the 6,000-mile voyage from the Oakland Harbor on December 22, 2013. A team of experienced mariners is directing the crane to New York from the West Coast, trough the Panama Canal. The next stop is the Gulf of Mexico before reaching its final stop in Tarrytown, NY.

Fluor Enterprises, Inc. and American Bridge Company, who are part of the Tappan Zee Constructors, own the crane. Once known as the "Left Coast Lifter," primarily because it was the largest lift in the West Coast, the crane barge helped build the suspension span of the San Francisco – Oakland Bay Bridge.

The "I Lift NY "crane is designed to hoist pre fabricated pieces over 900 feet and up to 1,900 tons. The boom of the hoist is 326 feet long and rests on a 384 feet barge.

In addition, the crane is also set to demolish the Tappan Zee Bridge after the New NY Bridge is built and ready to allow passengers to commute from Rockland and Westchester counties. The makeup of the lift will allow for the Tappan Zee Constructors to assemble the bridge in a shorter period of time while cutting down the cost of building the bridge.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2014, 9:04 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

Muscular West Coast Worker Is on Way to Build New Tappan Zee
By JOSEPH BERGERJAN. 27, 2014

Quote:
PANAMA — The Left Coast Lifter is the Superman of floating cranes.

As long as a 30-story building is tall, it can hoist 1,900 tons in
a single heave
, or as the builders who will deploy the crane to
speed up construction of the new Tappan Zee Bridge like to say,
the equivalent of 12 Statues of Liberty.

“Magnifico!” one man shouted as the crane passed through the Pedro Miguel Locks. “Its size — I’ve never seen anything like that.” Mauricio Valenzuela for The New York Times

~ My Stamford, CT Thread ~~ My Danbury, CT Thread ~

Old Posted Jan 29, 2014, 3:09 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

so are they going to name the new bridge after pete seeger? thats what i heard.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2014, 3:50 PM

The crane has arrived to NY-NJ

At Goldman Sachs Bldg por John Skelson, en Flickr

LCL at the WTC por John Skelson, en Flickr

Left Caost Lifter in NYC por John Skelson, en Flickr

LCL Aproaching the Statue por John Skelson, en Flickr

Old Posted Jan 31, 2014, 3:56 PM

i thought they changed the name to I Lift NY..

clearly says Left Coast Lifter on the side..

article from NY Post.

Photo: Chad Rachman

http://nypost.com/2014/01/30/i-lift-...an-zee-bridge/

‘I Lift New York’ crane ends 6,000-mile trip to rebuild Tappan Zee Bridge
By Rebecca HarshbargerJanuary 30, 2014 | 12:47pm
Modal Trigger
‘I Lift New York’ crane ends 6,000-mile trip to rebuild Tappan Zee Bridge
The "I Lift New York" arrives in New York Harbor.

A massive crane that will build the new Tappan Zee Bridge arrived in New York Harbor and passed the Statue of Liberty Thursday morning after a 6,000-mile odyssey from California to the Panama Canal.
Originally called the Left Coast Lifter, it has now been christened the I Lift New York.
The floating crane can lift up to 1,750 tons, and replaced part of the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge, the largest public infrastructure project in California’s history.
It left Oakland Harbor for New York on Dec. 21, and was pulled by two tug boats along California, Mexico, and Central America. It passed through the Panama Canal on Jan. 15.
The crane is now on its way to a Port Authority facility in Jersey City, according to a Thruway Authority spokesman.
The crane will tear down the existing Tappan Zee Bridge, and then help build the new bridge’s structure and foundation.
It is expected to shorten construction time, and cut costs in building because it is so powerful.
“The Lift New York super crane can lift the equivalent of twelve Statues of Liberty at once,” said Governor Cuomo in a statement today. “And its ability to lift huge modular components of the new bridge into place and to help dismantle the old bridge will reduce construction time by months and reduce project costs by millions of dollars.”

Old Posted Jan 31, 2014, 5:14 PM

I wonder if they'll just add "I Lift NY" to the back of the platform below "Left Coast Lifter". I don't see why it can't keep both names.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2014, 5:21 PM

Quote:
The crane will tear down the existing Tappan Zee Bridge, and then help build the new bridge’s structure and foundation
think they're a bit out of order there...

Old Posted Mar 6, 2014, 4:09 PM

Here's a link to a bunch of great webcams on site. No megacrane in sight. Does anybody know where it's stationed? Any Tarrytown forumers wanna give us some updated pics?

http://newnybridgegallery.com/webcam.php

Old Posted Mar 6, 2014, 11:51 PM

I read somewhere the crane is in Newark being checked out and fitted for spring move up river.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 2:22 AM
BANNED

How will they build this bridge if the state can't afford it according to Donald trump?

Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 3:19 PM

Donald Trump is an idiot. He needs to stick to building hotels and golf courses with his name written all over them and stop butting his head into politics.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development