HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Nov 18, 2012, 4:59 PM
THAT Guy

Harper Court now LEED-ND Gold

Harper Court Chicago/ Facebook

Harper Theater marquee went up recently, looks good

53rd Street Blog

Old Posted Nov 18, 2012, 5:10 PM
THAT Guy

Some bad news

Unrelated, but the University is going to build an 8 story, 1800-car parking garage at 57th and Cottage Grove next to the new hospital pavilion. Terrible that they're going to destroy the older fabric of the neighborhood for a giant garage.

----

Also, City Hyde Park has changed. Antheus has scrapped plans for the second taller tower. The number of units hasn't changed and the remaining tower is now a few floors taller.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2012, 6:35 PM
Chicagoland Runaway

^ Booooooooo.

Can't really complain though. Studio Gang's design looks slick no matter how you dice it. Great addition to the area. This question most likely has already been asked (so please forgive my ignorance), but is there a preliminary start date in place for groundbreaking on CHP? The official site calls for a 2014 opening, but...

Old Posted Nov 18, 2012, 6:36 PM

^The high-rise still an excellent design, but that podium sucks; really destroys the whole aesthetic of the project. Studio Gang needs to find a more elegant solution to this. No parking would be nice, but that's not going to happen.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2012, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
Unrelated, but the University is going to build an 8 story, 1800-car parking garage at 57th and Cottage Grove next to the new hospital pavilion. Terrible that they're going to destroy the older fabric of the neighborhood for a giant garage.
For all the good that UC has done, and is doing for the neighborhood, the new hospital pavilion and its requirements sure are mucking things up.

Quote:
Also, City Hyde Park has changed. Antheus has scrapped plans for the second taller tower. The number of units hasn't changed and the remaining tower is now a few floors taller.
Is is scrapped completely or is it possible they could be following the lead of Harper Court and keeping the option open for a second stage of construction?

Old Posted Nov 18, 2012, 7:10 PM
THAT Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kippis View Post
^ Booooooooo.

Can't really complain though. Studio Gang's design looks slick no matter how you dice it. Great addition to the area. This question most likely has already been asked (so please forgive my ignorance), but is there a preliminary start date in place for groundbreaking on CHP? The official site calls for a 2014 opening, but...
I think they're still aiming to start construction early next year but I suppose that's all dependent on finalizing the TIF (now a smaller amount than before) and financing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Shawn View Post
^The high-rise still an excellent design, but that podium sucks; really destroys the whole aesthetic of the project. Studio Gang needs to find a more elegant solution to this. No parking would be nice, but that's not going to happen.
Well the parking is all underground. The second floor is actually retail, possibly TJ Maxx and Michaels (apparently they don't like or need windows?).

Quote:
Originally Posted by untitledreality View Post
Is is scrapped completely or is it possible they could be following the lead of Harper Court and keeping the option open for a second stage of construction?
Completely I believe. The orientation of the remaining tower has changed and I don't think there is any space left for a second lobby/elevator core.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2012, 6:06 PM

The Akira in Hyde Park on 53rd Street opened today!

Article here.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2012, 8:44 PM

Today

Old Posted Dec 8, 2012, 6:52 PM
THAT Guy

^Nice photos. I still wonder if they'll do anything with that old Starbucks building...

Kilwin's shop now open across the street next to the new theater

53rd Street Blog

CorePower Yoga has signed a lease for the remaining space on the second floor of the old Borders building (now Akira).

And kind of unrelated, but an awesome photo of the new University of Chicago campus:

Tom Rossiter

Old Posted Dec 8, 2012, 6:55 PM

Great shot of the campus. UofC is an impressive place.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2012, 4:12 AM

Quote:

And kind of unrelated, but an awesome photo of the new University of Chicago campus:

Tom Rossiter
That photographer has some really fantastic work, I recommend everyone to give it a quick look.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 10:26 AM
Ω

Studio Gang does seem to have issues with podiums. The podium of Aqua is really abysmal from ground level. The entrance is understated for such a beautiful tower. They had similar issues in the Prentice competition entry.

It reminds me a lot of Lake Point Tower. These podiums are great when you're on top of them, but from the street they are monolithic and anti-pedestrian.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2012, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerton View Post
The podium of Aqua is really abysmal from ground level. The entrance is understated for such a beautiful tower.
I quite like Aqua from ground level:

source

Even if you're not thrilled with it, "abysmal" seems like an exaggeration. (And since when does "understated" have negative connotations?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerton View Post
They had similar issues in the Prentice competition entry.
Huh? Studio Gang completely preserved the existing building (Miesian "podium" and all) in their concept rendering for the NYT.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2012, 1:07 AM

Trying to lessen spyguy's load...

All images from Harper Court's Facebook page.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2012, 2:32 AM

I really like how this one is turning out. The glass and precast both look top notch. Nice to see a different color of glazing than all the blue we've been getting for years. I really like the mint and seaweed green colors of the glass and how "flat" and relatively non-reflective it is. The whole facade so far has very fine, clean details.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2012, 5:08 AM

^ Couldn't agree more.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2012, 7:09 AM
TL;DR

The precast is too fussy IMO. They have a huge variation in panel size and relief; the color variation is too much. Love the glass though, especially how they're using butt-glazed and mullions together.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2012, 3:27 PM

Hyde Park.... beautiful!

Old Posted Dec 19, 2012, 4:32 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
The precast is too fussy IMO. They have a huge variation in panel size and relief; the color variation is too much. Love the glass though, especially how they're using butt-glazed and mullions together.
You'd prefer the boring, derivative stylings of the Ritz-Carlton residences variation? Frankly I think it's nice and it's pretty accurate per the renderings which have been released, and once those rectangular gaps have been filled in it will add a nice touch of color along every facade.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2012, 7:49 PM
TL;DR

Oh crap, I thought those were windows. Eek.

Yeah, I'd prefer a subtler effect. I like the staggering of panel sizes and depths, just not the array of different shades. I don't know what that has to do with Ritz-Carlton, though?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development