HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

South Street Seaport Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
Pier 17 mall currently is a shithole full of tourist stores. This would be a high end experience that is open air in good weather, including a massive roof space.
I'm well aware, as I used to be professionally connected to this project. When Pier 17 opened up in the 1980s, it was full of high end stores and was hailed as the next Faneuil Hall Marketplace. Within a few years the building had already lost profitability and the anchoring stores had moved out. All I'm pointing out is that this new design does not address the vast majority of the issues with the site, which may doom the redevelopment to a similar fate down the road. This is a very, very challenging site.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 4:32 PM
New Yorker for life

From the rendering, it looks like there is less space for outdoor activities, which is a huge draw for the area.

http://www.dnainfo.com/20120309/down...under-new-plan

Better view...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Mar 12, 2012 at 4:43 PM.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 11:08 PM

Certainly better than what's currently there, but given this buildings location I was hoping for something really postcard worthy. On the bright side, the rooftop will be spectacular. The views, oh mann.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 2:32 PM
New Yorker for life

Yeah, it is somewhat generic looking, and missing an iconic feature. Even the current building has a signature look to it...

TinoTino

http://www.capitalnewyork.com/articl...s-pier-17-plan

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Mar 14, 2012 at 3:13 PM.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2012, 12:33 AM
BANNED

Is this the best they could do? They could have done something with modern curved forms. Not another Bahaus style box with a structural form that looks like something from mid-century. I'm disappointed, NY deserves something special here. London gets iconic forms like the Eye, the Dome, etc, etc , while NY gets another boxy mall! Lack of ambition and lack of money get's you this, I suppose. The other design was better by far.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2012, 1:03 AM

Yeah, the original design on that's on the first page was better. In the original design there was that gorgeous tower, which I think was a hotel, any chance we get something a small, 20-25 story tower here?

And, sorry for all the questions, but in some of the renders that NYGuy posted where you're looking West sort of hovering above the East River, what's that phantom building behind this building?

Old Posted Mar 15, 2012, 1:24 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesfan1000 View Post
Yeah, the original design on that's on the first page was better. In the original design there was that gorgeous tower, which I think was a hotel, any chance we get something a small, 20-25 story tower here?

And, sorry for all the questions, but in some of the renders that NYGuy posted where you're looking West sort of hovering above the East River, what's that phantom building behind this building?
They left out some of the highway in the render maybe?

Old Posted Mar 15, 2012, 1:31 AM
An Optimistic Realist

If they can't do it right, they shouldn't do it at all.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2012, 7:43 AM
New Yorker for life

http://retailtrafficmag.com/developm..._Hit_03152012/

Howard Hughes Corp.’s New York Project Promises to Be a Hit

Mar 15, 2012
By Elaine Misonzhnik

Quote:
The Howard Hughes Corp. unveiled its first project as an independent company this week and it seems to be off to an impressive start with a development plan that has become a smash hit in one of the toughest markets in the country: New York City. The project involves the redevelopment of the South Street Seaport in downtown Manhattan, a retail venue that boasts great demographics and enviable waterfront views, but which has been largely ignored by local residents because of its unimaginative design and merchandising mix...

The plans presented by the Howard Hughes Corp., a spin-off of GGP that focuses on mixed-use projects and development opportunities, would keep the Seaport’s current scale largely intact, adding only 20,000 sq. ft., but would replace the existing enclosed structure with one made largely of glass and steel. The project would feature an open-air rooftop garden and would aim to secure LEED Silver certification. Its glass doors would be kept open in the summer but come down in the fall and winter months to keep out cold air.

Howard Hughes officials still have to present the new design to the Landmarks Preservation Committee. Preliminary plans call for construction to start in 2013, with completion scheduled for 2015.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 1:47 AM
New Yorker for life

http://tribecatrib.com/news/2012/apr...issioners.html

Big Remake of Pier 17 Mall Looks Headed for Landmarks Approval

By Jessica Terrell
Apr. 18

Quote:
With its sleek glass walls and cobblestone walkways, Howard Hughes Corporation’s design for a modern new Pier 17 mall in the South Street Seaport won praise from members of the city’s Landmarks Preservation Commission on Tuesday.

But could a swanky design be enough to attract New Yorkers to a new version of what has, so far, been a commercially disappointing shopping destination for tourists? Of that, commissioners viewing the plans sounded less certain.

“What is being proposed, with respect to the new structure, is more appropriate to the pier than the [current] building,” Commissioner Margery Perlmutter told representatives from Howard Hughes Corp. and their designer, SHoP Architects. “Having said that, I am still very frightened about the idea of a shopping mall in New York City. We don't do shopping malls.”

“It was suggested that the Pier 17 mall has failed because the public got weary of festival marketplaces. Yet this is still a mall. It is still shopping,” Commissioner Frederick Bland said. “Does this work? Do people shop on piers?”

Howard Hughes Corp., which took over the Pier 17 development from General Growth Properties, is banking that the answer will be “yes.”

Old Posted Apr 22, 2012, 11:03 PM
World Machine

I have to agree with the speculation - whenever I step foot in that place, short of the tourists that pass through mainly to use the 'facilities', the place is quite vacant. The big draw is the outdoor space. A revitalization should be an opportunity to bring in new attractions that could draw in some new (and local) vibrancy to the place.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2012, 7:17 PM
New Yorker for life

http://tribecatrib.com/content/seapo...p-pier-17-mall

'Seaport' or 'Tropeas'? Big Lit-Up Sign Headed for Top of Pier 17 Mall

By JESSICA TERRELL

Quote:
On the upper level of the soon-to-be rebuilt Pier 17 mall will be an expansive public lawn, outdoor performance space, sweeping views of the Brooklyn Bridge—and a 90-foot-long sign that spells out “TROPAES”?

In nine-foot-high illuminated letters, that's what visitors will see towering above them.

Howard Hughes Corporation’s proposal to place a large illuminated sign, which would read “SEAPORT” backwards to those with a view from the Manhattan side, drew some very mixed reviews this month among those who weighed in on its appropriateness in the South Street Seaport Historic District. Community Board 1’s Landmarks Committee, advisory to the city's Landmarks Preservation Commission, offered a scathing assessment of the sign.

“I don’t think you need to scream out that this thing exists in the evening, and I don’t think you need to scream out that it exists during the day either,” CB1 Landmarks Committee Chair Roger Byrom told representatives of the Hughes Corp on Oct. 11. “I don’t think it adds anything. We know it’s the Seaport.”

But the plan got unanimous approval from the Landmarks Commission on Tuesday, Oct. 23. “I think [the sign] is excellent," said LPC vice-chair Pablo Vengoechea. "It does recall an industrial building, but at the same time it is appropriate to this use.”

Old Posted Nov 9, 2012, 7:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Nice interiors though

Old Posted Dec 26, 2012, 4:23 PM

Pier 17 Renovation Plans Moving Forward Post-Sandy
Wednesday, December 26, 2012, by Jessica Dailey

"Since Hurricane Sandy, Pier 17 has remained closed while the structure of the pier was examined, but the Times reports that the pier passed the examination with flying colors and has reopened to the public. Additionally, a spokesman for the Howard Hughes Corporation said that the developer is not changing any of its plans for Pier 17's major makeover, and they will still begin construction by July 1, 2013. While dozens of shops in the Seaport remain closed, Pier 17's mall suffered little damage because it sits three feet above the pier, which sits well above the water..."

Old Posted Dec 30, 2012, 6:27 PM
Ex Houstonian

Yawn.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2013, 8:56 PM
New Yorker for life

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2013/0...he_seaport.php

Is This Proposed Pier 17 Signage a 'Blight' on the Seaport?

January 28, 2013
by Sara Polsky

Quote:
Developer Howard Hughes Corporation recently present its design for Pier 17's signage to the City Planning Commission—to, er, a less than ecstatic response. The commission's chair, Amanda Burden, said her "feeling is we will have blighted—it's a strong word, but I feel it—the Lower Manhattan waterfront environment forever" if the signage is allowed to go ahead. Other commissioners seemed no more inclined to support the design, on which City Planning will take its vote next month, the Tribeca Trib explains. While it's true that the Pepsi and Domino signs have their own special place in the urban design canon, "this is not an iconic sign," said commissioner Maria Del Toro. "So let's not put it in the same category." Oof. How's that feel, Howard Hughes?

http://tribecatrib.com/content/propo...blight-seaport

By JESSICA TERRELL

Quote:
An 18-foot-high, 90-foot-long illuminated sign proposed to go atop the redeveloped Pier 17 mall was denounced last week as a potential eyesore by City Planning commissioners. They said they feared the sign would mar iconic views of the South Street Seaport.

Designers for developer Howard Hughes Corp. argue that the sign, proclaiming “SEAPORT” in giant letters, harkens back to historic riverfront sign­age and would help draw visitors to the area. But during a review session for the mall project on Jan. 22, all five City Planning commissioners said they opposed it.

“My feeling is we will have blighted—it’s a strong word, but I feel it—the Lower Manhattan waterfront environment forever,” said Commission Chair Amanda Burden. “I am really worried about it.”

The Planning Commission, which takes its official vote next month, must weigh in on several special permits, zoning amendments and special signage approvals as part of the city’s lengthy Uniform Land Use Review Process. The commission is expected to vote favorably on the project as a whole, with some modifications. Only signs in waterfront districts are under the purview of the commission.

Community Board 1 also opposed the sign after reviewing the mall plans in October.

“I think we can consider this to be a major victory for the efforts of this Community Board,” Michael Levine, CB1’s director of land use and planning, said of the commissioners’ views.

The commissioners’ opposition to the sign puts them at odds with the Landmarks Preservation Commission (LPC), which approved it last October.

“I think [the sign] is excellent," LPC vice-chair Pablo Vengoechea said at the October meeting. “It does recall an industrial building, but at the same time it is appropriate to this use.”

Planning commissioners last week acknowledged the history of such illuminated industrial signs such as Pepsi and Domino, but said the concept did not translate for them.

“We really have to respect the integrity of the waterfront,” said Commissioner Maria Del Toro. “And I like the iconic signs, but this is not an iconic sign, so let’s not put it in the same category.”

Burden told fellow commissioners that her concerns about the sign came after spending numerous hours “studying how it feels to be on the East River at night.”

“The glory of the East River in this location is the Brooklyn Bridge,” Burden said. “It is beautiful, the skyline of Brooklyn from Manhattan, of Manhattan from Brooklyn and these twinkling lights on the water. It is really quite extraordinary.”

The Planning Commission is expected to vote on the project on Feb. 6. From there, it will go to the City Council for final approval. Howard Hughes Corp. plans to begin work on the project in June and reopen the area in 2015.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 9:10 PM
New Yorker for life

http://therealdeal.com/blog/2013/02/...7-development/

City approves Pier 17 development
Construction to begin July 1; project must lose controversial signage

February 06, 2013
Hiten Samtani

Quote:
The City Planning Commission unanimously approved development plans for South Street Seaport’s Pier 17 project, though it insisted that the controversial rooftop signage be removed, Curbed reported.

The proposed signage had irked neighborhood residents and had been described by City Planning Commissioner Amanda Burden as a “blight” on the area. The commission also requested the developer, the Dallas-based Howard Hughes Corporation, to add moorings for Maritime use.

Construction on the pier is slated to begin on July 1, and will include a shopping mall with a 10,000-square-foot rooftop space. The new pier building will have two levels of retail space, each with some 60,000 square feet.

Brokers have pointed to the Pier 17 redevelopment and the nearby Fulton Street Transit Hub as projects that could revitalize the Sandy-ravaged neighborhood, as The Real Deal previously reported.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2013, 12:44 AM
testify

what a disheartening series of turns, how nice this could have been, it's so depressing.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2013, 1:34 AM
The Time To Build Is Now

Sucks to not have the mixed use tower.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2013, 3:35 PM

Plain and boring.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development