HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
50hy, spiral and what is now "girasole" are all forgettable disappointments that could have been interesting designs. They are just mega corporate containers, not real architecture. A picture of th m is going to be like looking at cardboard or wallpaper, a massive snooze.
I wouldn't go THAT far, but yeah those towers could have been a lot bolder. The Spiral is being developed on land that was once touted before Speyer-Tishman set on the current design as potentially an 1,800 building called the Hudson Spire which always was a vision rather than a concrete proposal, but it set up the soaring possibilities that the Bjark Ingels model falls considerably short of even with its massive square footage. 50 Hudson is conservative, but classy...3 Hudson Boulevard(The Girasole) is the most disappointing because the original renderings showed distinctive angles and character which Moinian pulled back for whatever cost containment and corporate pragmatism. They're fine as is, but it's so true they truly could have been special.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2020, 4:28 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Can't wait for Phase II. Its really going to solidify this perspective.

baronsonphoto-20191231-052.jpg by Brian Aronson, on Flickr

Old Posted Jan 25, 2020, 12:40 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

hudson square to hudson yards

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 9:12 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Video Link

Jan 26, 2020

Old Posted Apr 5, 2020, 8:04 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

the shed opened a year ago today:

http://email.wordfly.com/view/?sid=O...rceNumber=3398

Old Posted May 16, 2020, 9:17 PM

Then (2011) and Now (2020)

A view of Manhattan's Midtown skyline from Weehawken, NJ. The image on top is from 2011 and the image on bottom is from May 2020.

Source: @GaryHershorn

Old Posted May 30, 2020, 2:46 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Watch in 4K and full screen. Just like more cow bell, we need more full screen!!!!

Video Link

Old Posted Jun 16, 2020, 1:52 PM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2020, 10:07 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

well that was a quick and disasterous hello goodbye.

anchor neiman marcus is on the way out of the hudson yards mall. it will be replaced by the facebook.

nm had filed for bankruptcy in may.

https://nypost.com/2020/06/22/neiman...e-to-facebook/

Old Posted Jun 28, 2020, 7:23 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Jacob K. Javits Center’s $1.5B Expansion Progresses In Hudson Yards

Quote:
Progress is continuing on the 180-foot-tall northern wing of the Jacob K. Javits Center in Midtown West. Designed by tvsdesign and developed by Empire State Development Corporation, the $1.5 billion, 1.2-million-square-foot addition will raise the facility’s total span to 3.3 million square feet. Lendlease and Turner Construction Company are working together to assemble the Hudson Yards project while the developer is aiming for LEED certification.

Recent photos show the state of the expansion on the eastern side of the property, directly to the north of the main entrance. This multi-story rectangular volume has a steel frame and will contain a ground-floor lobby and staircases, which will be externally visible thanks to a glass curtain wall. The expansion will add 100,000 square feet of new and permanent exhibition spaces, for a combined total of nearly 1 million square feet.

Photos from across the Hudson River show the western elevation below the first setback gradually being enclosed with large gray rectangular panels. This portion will house a four-level, 633,000-square-foot truck facility with new freight elevators and 27 loading docks, as well as 164,000 square feet of meeting rooms above. The two construction cranes are perched on what will eventually become a roof deck that spans over 22,000 square feet, providing up to 1,500 people with views overlooking the Hudson River and New Jersey. The centerpiece of the expansion is a planned 58,00-square-foot ballroom near the top of the superstructure, the largest on the east coast.
================
NYY

Old Posted Jul 25, 2020, 1:59 AM
New Yorker for life

https://www.instagram.com/p/CC_lTnnjzKO/

Quote:
This building is a 400,000 square foot mixed-use commercial and residential building spanning the entrance to New York City's Lincoln tunnel between 33rd and 34th street in Manhattan.

The proposed first 10 floors are commercial retail and office used, totaling 108 000 SF. Floors 11 to 52 are intended for residential use. The building's geometry and position are intended to maximize the westerly views of the Hudson River and the new 21st-century city within a city, Hudson Yards Development.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2020, 2:30 AM

Well, that tower is certainly different.

I can't wait till all those Lincoln Tunnel approaches are platformed over with new development.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2020, 3:48 AM
Show me the blueprints

What the hell with the low flying jet? Just plain weird and then something else even more.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jul 25, 2020, 7:13 AM

Old Posted Jul 25, 2020, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BXFrank View Post

Quote:
“We have carefully analyzed all of the changes that have occurred in the retail environment as a result of COVID-19,”
First of many sadly. In the main though, Hudson Yards could well be the last big 'office' complex ever built in Manhattan. I mean is there a chance of Phase 2 not happening? If there is little to no demand in office space?

Working from home is the future that has come much earlier. The office as we've known it is dying right before our eyes. I mean why are earth would a company continue to pay premium Manhattan prices when you can downsize to one of the other boroughs and have most of your staff work from home most days?

At this point I really hope 2WTC is built. I mean they have already concluded 5WTC will have residential/hotel space right? If 2WTC doesn't have a design/start date by the end of next year then I will really fear for it.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2020, 9:12 AM

lol wow who could have seen this coming? good luck with the giant soulless placemaking failure of hudson yards... who wants to make some bets on when Nordstrom goes under?

"Helmut Jahn has never suffered a failure of nerve."

Old Posted Jul 26, 2020, 2:33 PM
I love NY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropdeaded209 View Post
lol wow who could have seen this coming? good luck with the giant soulless placemaking failure of hudson yards... who wants to make some bets on when Nordstrom goes under?
Hudson Yards is far from a failure.

And why would you joke about people losing their jobs?

Old Posted Jul 26, 2020, 2:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHigher View Post
First of many sadly. In the main though, Hudson Yards could well be the last big 'office' complex ever built in Manhattan. I mean is there a chance of Phase 2 not happening? If there is little to no demand in office space?

Working from home is the future that has come much earlier. The office as we've known it is dying right before our eyes. I mean why are earth would a company continue to pay premium Manhattan prices when you can downsize to one of the other boroughs and have most of your staff work from home most days?

At this point I really hope 2WTC is built. I mean they have already concluded 5WTC will have residential/hotel space right? If 2WTC doesn't have a design/start date by the end of next year then I will really fear for it.
Phase 2 is mostly residential so i don't see it as not happening. The residential portion is their cash cow since most of the office were done at cost.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2020, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK1985 View Post
Phase 2 is mostly residential so i don't see it as not happening. The residential portion is their cash cow since most of the office were done at cost.
Ah right. I suppose some office space plans can be converted to more residential/other use to get a building built. Then again we don't yet know how much damage will be done to the potential market of folks looking to buy a place in this climate.

I guess the likes of Facebook are ones to watch if they in the future still want all that floor space in HY.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2020, 3:36 PM

From the older renderings, there's just one tower probably in the 1,000-1,000 ft area deemed for primarily office space preliminary dubbed West Tower or something like that? Then seven or eight residential towers between 500-900 ft or so...looks like they want to be more individually creative with these.. some affordable rentals (or I guess "affordable" in a Manhattan context... didn't see specific income ranges) though the vast majority is going to be market rate rental, if I'm not mistaken? Supposed to have schools and plenty of park land as well.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development