HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jul 1, 2020, 2:12 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handro View Post
Caissons permit for a 11-story residential building at 1454 W Randolph was issued yesterday. Cool to see a pretty big Fulton development kick off, the cycle still has a little gas left...
Damn, I thought for sure that one would fade away. But I'm happy to see it moving forward - it is literally right next to the Ashland L stop, and it is the only TOD-eligible site around that stop unless you cross Ogden. North of Lake is a PMD, west of Ashland is all owned by CHA and other government agencies.

This will also be the first highrise to overlook Union Park, which is pretty cool, and it faces south so half the units will have guaranteed sunlight forever.

I always thought Marquette would build on the 1400 W Randolph site first - it's less gritty/industrial and sits next to a gym, yoga studio, Michelin restaurants, etc.

Last edited by ardecila; Jul 1, 2020 at 2:23 AM.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 2:29 AM

I've talked about this before - the expansion of Chinatown west of the river. It was officially announced the other day at a press conference. This thing is massive - moreso than I thought.

First phase is the new mall - which is 300,000 square feet. The anchor will be 88 Marketplace, an 80,000 square foot Asian supermarket (mostly Chinese) with a food court and food stalls, along with a place to buy Chinese and western wine, cosmetics, home appliances (?), etc. Seems very in line with a supermarket I went to in Shanghai in January which had ovens and microwaves for sale in one section and all the food in another section. Multiple new restaurants are going in here including a new BBQ King House outpost, new hot pot (one chain from Chongqing), NE BBQ, home appliances, etc etc. These places should be opening any day it looks like. In Chinese it's called Tianyi Square, but the English says Jefferson Square

Pictures inside here and you can use Google Translate:
https://mp.weixin.qq.com/s/oSe1b4j6h...2B_6b6S23pUA9w

Quote:
Chen Bohong, chairman of Great Lakes Real Estate Group, said that Tianyi Plaza aims to build Chicago's first large-scale comprehensive indoor mall and expand the new core business district of Chinatown. Tianyi Square develops together with 88 Supermarkets and many settled merchants, benefiting each other, creating a better community for Chinese friends in the Chicago area, providing a more concentrated, convenient, stylish, and modern shopping and consumption experience. One Square has become a truly satisfying shopping center for investors, customers, collaborators and communities.
I've talked about this next bolded part before:

Quote:
Tianyi Square also has subsequent development projects and reserves more than 200,000 square feet of development land. Its future development plan includes: the construction of more than 300 units of mixed commercial and residential buildings and comprehensive new hotel apartments. It is particularly worth mentioning that the mixed commercial and residential buildings in the second phase of the project will add more than 400 indoor parking lots, and build a closed overpass to connect 88 supermarkets to form the only large indoor shopping mall in the Chinatown area.

In the near future, Tianyi Plaza will be built into a diversified new fashion consumer business district integrating leisure, shopping, education and training, entertainment, food and finance. Tianyi Square will bring together many well-known brand stores in a multicultural atmosphere, adhering to the planning concept of an international commercial street, and bring Chicago a one-stop shopping center for eating, drinking, shopping, and shopping to better serve the Chinese and Asian communities. .

Quote:
However, while prospering and developing in Chinatown, Chicago, China has been facing natural and public infrastructure limitations for many years, making it difficult to find room for expansion. Highways, subway lines, railway bridges, and the Chicago River restrict the growth of the Chinatown business district from four directions: east, west, south, and north. Today, after years of careful preparations, Tianyi Square has made the Chinatown business district a big leap forward.

The more than 200,000 square feet of reserved development land in Tianyi Square, commercial and residential mixed buildings, hotel apartments and other subsequent projects, the strategic planning of the new business district will be an infinite surprise for the expansion and prosperity of Chicago Chinatown.

Don't forget about this around the corner from another developer:
https://www.465wcermak.com/

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 1:40 PM

^ marothisu thanks for the notice, extremely exciting that a major expansion is happening in Chicago's Chinatown community. It looks like there is plenty of room for expansion across Jefferson St, I wonder if this is the land bank referred to in the story.
Also It appears on google maps that the main mall building is complete and already has some tenants.
Ive long admired the 3 industrial building at Jefferson-Lumber-Cermak, they will act as a gateway to the new Chinatown river distirct.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 1:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpIllInoIs View Post
^ marothisu thanks for the notice, extremely exciting that a major expansion is happening in Chicago's Chinatown community. It looks like there is plenty of room for expansion across Jefferson St, I wonder if this is the land bank referred to in the story.
Also It appears on google maps that the main mall building is complete and already has some tenants.
Ive long admired the 3 industrial building at Jefferson-Lumber-Cermak, they will act as a gateway to the new Chinatown river distirct.
Here is the zoning app from January 2019 for the 200+ (now 300+?) residential units across the street from this on vacant land. I had written about it but it's been over 1.5 years of course. This is the 200K+ sq ft of land they're talking about. There are some maps in this map with basic building placeholders on exactly where the buildings will go:

https://chicago.legistar.com/Legisla...vanced&Search=

The plans are for 2 8 story buildings (80 ft) - 1 building with 87 units and the other with 125 units, then a smaller 4 story building with 21 units. Then there's plans to build a 4 story retail building with a ton of space. Plans for underground parking in the article are in line with a few newer malls I've been to in Shanghai.

This hasn't been approved yet it doesn't look like, but there's a lot going on here, and with Hoyt Square a short walk away. Also there's that new retail plaza at 2300 S Archer which isn't a super far walk from Hoyt Square. I do feel the whole geographic constraints thing. This area will be constrained too but there's a lot of room there too for growth. To me this is more of a Flushing style of growth - bigger projects and not your small 3 story 3 unit buildings here and there.

The Chinese (born anywhere in the world) population of downtown, Chinatown, Bridgeport, and areas around there has grown over 12,000 between 2010 and 2018. If you count Lincoln Park, Lakeview, and Hyde Park with a few areas around it then it's a growth of over 15,000 Chinese people in those 8 years. I'm sure in 2019 there will be even further growth when that data comes out in a handful of months. There were/are some very large (very rich) chains from China set to open in Chicago in 2020 in part because they know the market is increasing a lot in Chicago. Those same chains are entering into markets like NYC, Houston, Boston, LA, etc too.

Of course, there is some political things going on now, but we'll see what happens in the future.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 2:14 PM
The City

We haven’t had a lot of your updates in a while, Marothisu. Probably due to pandemic related slowdowns in activity. Either way, I’m glad that there’s so much still planned in and around Chinatown

The Indo-Pak district up north, unfortunately, seems to be standing still. By all means still thriving, but a large gap on Devon from when a building burned down many years ago still can’t get any infill. I think most of that community has put their resources into the suburbs.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 2:47 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
This hasn't been approved yet it doesn't look like, but there's a lot going on here, and with Hoyt Square a short walk away. Also there's that new retail plaza at 2300 S Archer which isn't a super far walk from Hoyt Square. I do feel the whole geographic constraints thing. This area will be constrained too but there's a lot of room there too for growth. To me this is more of a Flushing style of growth - bigger projects and not your small 3 story 3 unit buildings here and there.
There's also a large Chinatown shopping plaza planned for the NE corner of 18th/Canal, with parking on the ground floor (partially buried in the hillside) and 2 levels of retail/restaurant above that.

This is all exciting, but there's not enough demand for all of these, right? Certainly the Chinese community is growing but you need huge population to support these kind of developments. It's also a shame that the urban experience will be pretty poor, these are clearly expecting people to arrive by car. At least Hoyt Square is a historic building and 2300 S Archer has shops lining the street.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
We haven’t had a lot of your updates in a while, Marothisu. Probably due to pandemic related slowdowns in activity. Either way, I’m glad that there’s so much still planned in and around Chinatown

The Indo-Pak district up north, unfortunately, seems to be standing still. By all means still thriving, but a large gap on Devon from when a building burned down many years ago still can’t get any infill. I think most of that community has put their resources into the suburbs.
My work has been insanely busy - due to COVID-19 actually..haha. COVID-19 of course has slowed things down everywhere as we all know.

The funny thing is I showed my mother in law (who lives in China) this new project and she's just saying "There are many Tianyi Square in China" - I wonder if this has relation to them. I had found an article last year somewhere (in Chinese) talking about how there was mainland money into these projects. She has been rooting for us to move back to Chicago as they enjoy it more than NYC. So seeing projects like this to them make them happy LOL

As my wife tells me "Chinese people don't like loans." Parents save up all their lives for their kids so they can own property for example. There's not much of an idea of loans and mortgages in China per se. It's done in cash and that's taken to America. There's a decent chance that the person from China who just bought that $300K home in Bridgeport actually paid mostly in cash without a loan/mortgage The interesting thing is that the downtown area grew by not much less than Chinatown, Bridgeport, McKinley Park, etc in the same period of time. I have friends who have bought multiple downtown condos - completely in cash without a mortgage. Not because they're well off either - a lot of saving and help from family too.

That sucks to hear about the dynamics of the Indo-Pak community in the city itself. I think the dynamics are a bit different, at least what my Indian friends tell me. They're much more into owning property in a suburb - larger house, back yard. The American dream. Isn't there a big new Indian mall/shopping center in Naperville?

The Indian and Pakistani population of downtown grew by about 7200 people from 2010 to 2018 (+6900 of that Indian). The Indian and Pakistani population in West Ridge, Rogers Park, Albany Park, Lincoln Square, and North Park grew by 2500 in comparison.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
There's also a large Chinatown shopping plaza planned for the NE corner of 18th/Canal, with parking on the ground floor (partially buried in the hillside) and 2 levels of retail/restaurant above that.

This is all exciting, but there's not enough demand for all of these, right? Certainly the Chinese community is growing but you need huge population to support these kind of developments. It's also a shame that the urban experience will be pretty poor, these are clearly expecting people to arrive by car. At least Hoyt Square is a historic building and 2300 S Archer has shops lining the street.

Editing this down, but the urban experience in that immediate area should be better once (whenever that is) phase 2 happens. There should be multiple new large buildings built there on open land in a dense fashion. Hopefully a little walkable at least.

As far as whether there's a market, will it work, etc?
1) Between 2010 and 2018 the area from Lakeview south thru downtown into Chinatown, Bridgeport, McKinley Park as well as counting nearby Douglas, Kenwood, and Hyde Park grew by over 15,000 Chinese people.

2) More than just Chinese people eat at Chinese restaurants even in Chinatown. Obviously a lot of peoples' view of Chinese food is either narrow or not even accurate to real Chinese food (a lot of people eat the Americanized stuff) but still, a lot of non Chinese people do eat at Chinese restaurants. You also have the potential for tourists..

3) There's more than just Chinese food coming to these places. I do know of a Korean BBQ place going into that new retail plaza at 2300 S Archer. This new Tianyi Square ("Jefferson Square") development says it will also have Vietnamese food, Korean food, etc and sell things like home appliances as well as western (US, European, etc) alcohol.

4) There is that new 5000+ person concert venue Radius literally around the corner from Tianyi Square. Yeah COVID-19 is going on - we don't know what the future holds but I'm pretty sure that even if only 10% of a concert goes to eat food at a restaurant nearby here - that's still a lot of business.

With that being said there's a lot of cultural things that aren't being picked up here.

1) A lot of the Chinese coming into America for the last 2 decades are more middle class like my wife. They can afford an American education and get jobs here. With that comes the fact that they grew up in households in China with cars and weren't strangers to driving around. My wife's parents live in a suburban area (still more urban than US suburbia) of Shanghai. They can walk to places if they want but they also own 2 cars. They are big fans of walking but when they want to go to the Wanda mall (yes, the same one who was behind Vista)? They drive and you better believe that they underground parking lot is almost completely full.

This is just more of a reality of the middle class of China, which has grown a ton - and a lot of the newer immigrants in America in the last few decades are from this class. I think that people have an outdated view in their head about how these things are in China and it's not really a truth. My parents in law for example much rather live in an area like Bridgeport or Lakeview than in downtown Chicago. They would never live in Manhattan for example because it's too crowded.

2) As my wife says "Chinese people do not like loans." Having a mortgage isn't really a thing in China and it's expected that you own property. How much money you have saved up is another story, but there are probably a bunch of people in areas like Bridgeport, Brighton Park, etc who just paid cash for their property. Obviously some have mortgages but there are many others who just pay straight up cash. It's seen as a sign that you can provide for yourself and your family. A lot of parents save up for years and years for their kids for this reason alone. The person in Bridgeport only making $40K per year might actually have $250K in their bank account as a result and the same or higher net worth as someone who lives downtown. In any case, I'm sure many people do take loans, but the reality of landing one and having it more like a 10 or 15 year mortgage, or just paying straight up cash for something is going to be a bit higher in places like Chicago, Dallas, Houston, Philadelphia, etc nowadays than the other places. How people find out about this information about any of those cities is another story - usually marketing and word of mouth.

My wife has been asking me lately when we're moving back to Chicago (well she never officially lived there). It's not because she dislikes NYC - she loves it. She also loves Chicago. She just understands that her chances of outright owning property that doesn't suck that we can raise a family in is immensely higher in Chicago than NYC. Moving to the suburbs of New Jersey isn't really attractive. We'd rather own a 2 or 3 bedroom place in Chicago whether downtown or in some more residential (but walkable) area. This is more in line with her culturally - either pay for something straight up cash or pay off a mortgage in say 10-15 years, not 30. Her parents are totally in line with us coming back to Chicago too - one big reason is due to this "owning decent property faster" reality and also they just think Chicago is a nicer city LOL. In 20 years if they move to the US, they'd rather be in Chicago where we would be.

Last edited by marothisu; Jul 3, 2020 at 4:03 PM.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 4:10 PM
TL;DR

^ I guess that goes to my question, though - how realistic is it that continued Chinese growth will accrue to the "Chinese corridor" along Archer, or will people start moving to the suburbs if they want a house and cars? I get the sense that a lot of it is driven by recent immigrants, whether poor or middle class, who want to establish a foothold in the US and save money while living cheaply. But for other immigrant groups, the place to "live cheaply" is increasingly in the suburbs, wherever there is a concentration of 1960s-1970s apartments.

For the people that are in the "Chinese corridor", those people will want a house in a nicer suburb like Naperville or Arlington Heights with good schools, right? The schools in the "Chinese corridor" are... not great, to say the least.

Chicago and New York are kinda unique since they are really the only two cities with growing urban Chinese communities... other cities may have a small legacy urban Chinatown (SF, LA, Philly, Boston, DC) but all the large Chinese communities are in the suburbs. It just seems more likely that Chicago will follow those other cities rather than NY which is a special case with Flushing/Sunset Park.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 4:19 PM
The City

Quote:
^ I guess that goes to my question, though - how realistic is it that continued Chinese growth will accrue to the "Chinese corridor" along Archer, or will people start moving to the suburbs if they want a house and cars? I get the sense that a lot of it is driven by recent immigrants, whether poor or middle class, who want to establish a foothold in the US and save money while living cheaply. But for other immigrant groups, the place to "live cheaply" is increasingly in the suburbs, wherever there is a concentration of 1960s-1970s apartments.

For the people that are in the "Chinese corridor", those people will want a house in Naperville or Arlington Heights in a place with good schools, right? The schools in the "Chinese corridor" are... not great, to say the least.
Based on what Marothisu is observing, and a sense that I’m getting, Chinese people even of good means are actually choosing to invest in and build homes in the “Chinese corridor”. I mean, I just don’t see a big concern about them decamping to the suburbs en masse when they reach a certain stage, as long as LL and the crew keep crime and riot related activity under control.

This is not to say there aren’t a lot of Chinese/Koreans and others out in the burbs. Even our little sprawly neighborhood in Libertyville (including our next door neighbor) has a decent number of them. They are most concentrated in the NW area like Arlington Heights, Schaumburg, etc. Probably a ton in western regions like Naperville environs as well, but those places are so damn far away that I can’t comment from personal experience.

That whole dynamic is very different from Indo-Pak people. As a whole you just aren’t seeing them take roots in the city in masse and creating a whole “Desi corridor” like the Chinese are. They may conduct commerce at Devon but the American dream is in the burbs. Even the huge growth in the central area has mostly been young techies, young couples, etc. Few are sticking around after that.

The reason is cultural. Indian cities are crowded, dirty, full of homelessness and stray dogs, etc etc. There continues to be a preference for new construction and a lot of space because of that. Hence the burb preferences.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 4:29 PM
TL;DR

^ How is education handled, then? I'm genuinely curious how the Chinese middle-class (which obviously values education) deals with the limited/poor options available in urban Chicago. I know Asian students are heavily represented in the CPS magnet schools, but there's got to be more to it than that.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Based on what Marothisu is observing, and a sense that I’m getting, Chinese people even of good means are actually choosing to invest in and build homes in the “Chinese corridor”. I mean, I just don’t see a big concern about them decamping to the suburbs en masse when they reach a certain stage, as long as LL and the crew keep crime and riot related activity under control.

This is not to say there aren’t a lot of Chinese/Koreans and others out in the burbs. Even our little sprawly neighborhood in Libertyville (including our next door neighbor) has a decent number of them. They are most concentrated in the NW area like Arlington Heights, Schaumburg, etc. Probably a ton in western regions like Naperville environs as well, but those places are so damn far away that I can’t comment from personal experience.

That whole dynamic is very different from Indo-Pak people. As a whole you just aren’t seeing them take roots in the city in masse and creating a whole “Desi corridor” like the Chinese are. They may conduct commerce at Devon but the American dream is in the burbs. Even the huge growth in the central area has mostly been young techies, young couples, etc. Few are sticking around after that.

The reason is cultural. Indian cities are crowded, dirty, full of homelessness and stray dogs, etc etc. There continues to be a preference for new construction and a lot of space because of that. Hence the burb preferences.
Bridgeport, McKinley Park, Brighton Park, Armour Square, Archer Heights, Douglas, and Lower West Side increased by 7001 Chinese people between 2010 and 2018. This isn't counting the ~5500 growth downtown next door or the almost +1600 in Lincoln Park, Lakeview, West Town, and Logan Square (over half of that just in Lincoln Park), or the almost +1400 of Kenwood, Hyde Park, and Woodlawn.

And yeah, totally cultural. There are obviously many Chinese in the suburbs but I think you'll find less of the "I must have a big house and big yard" idea amongst Chinese in America than some other groups. At least as far as my wife says, they like cheap real estate and have no issues trying to improve an area as far as aesthetics, schools, etc go. Chicago just needs to continue marketing to some people - cheap housing, still a nice city, many nice paying jobs, etc. At least as far as the data goes until 2018, there's been a good uptick.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 4:55 PM
The City

Quote:
^ How is education handled, then? I'm genuinely curious how the Chinese middle-class (which obviously values education) deals with the limited/poor options available in urban Chicago. I know Asian students are heavily represented in the CPS magnet schools, but there's got to be more to it than that.
I thought the schools in Chicago were improving, according to some posters here. Is this not the case, then?

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 4:58 PM

The thought of Chinese middle class coming into an area, making it majority Chinese in some areas and not putting pressure on those schools to improve is pretty damn funny. Good one.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 5:05 PM
THAT Guy

Two TOD sites for sale:

1) 400 S Clark

2) The buildings south of 1611 W Division

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 6:05 PM

Haines, Healy, Sheridan, Ward are all 8/10 or 9/10, Level 1+ CPS schools and majority Asian in and around Chinatown, Bridgeport, and Armour Square

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 8:21 PM
TL;DR

400 S Clark should be landmarked as part of the city's first Chinatown... And the building on the corner was designed by Holabird & Roche for the same client as the Monadnock and Rookery.

https://preservationchicago.org/chicago07/?cat=4

The buildings around La Pasadita are in pretty rough shape... I've enjoyed plenty of delicious burritos there but it's just gotten very expensive. Hopefully they can continue their business in a cheaper environment somewhere! Also, any TOD there is gonna have to be approved by LaSpata, who is a card-carrying Socialist... maybe not quite the same level of anti-development as some other aldermen but definitely still an idealist. Not like Moreno.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 11:52 PM

Hey Harry, for us Covid19 trapped in California natives can you do a swing by the Fly Over?

Old Posted Jul 4, 2020, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolchak View Post
Hey Harry, for us Covid19 trapped in California natives can you do a swing by the Fly Over?
June 29

Pardon the odd framing, this is after my shutter destroyed itself, but before I noticed - put a nice big black band across a few dozen shots.

I thought they were going to put the bike traffic on lower LSD - obviously there is more to it. currently rebuilding the lower deck on the East side, so we will see.

Chicao | Gikeway by Harry Carmichael, on Flickr

Chicao | Gikeway by Harry Carmichael, on Flickr

Old Posted Jul 4, 2020, 3:38 AM

1125 W VanBuren

w.t.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development