HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 4:47 AM

Question:
Why don't (some) hotels have basements or underground foundations? I noticed that with the Sophy Hotel, too. They just built it right on top of the ground--like the Study--whereas the Rubinstein had a dug down foundation. I think that's why the Study went up so fast.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 7:37 AM

The Rubinstein looks absolutely stunning!

How are the new dorms under construction one block to the south of the Rubenstein looking?

Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 1:58 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gedung Tinngi View Post
The Rubinstein looks absolutely stunning!

How are the new dorms under construction one block to the south of the Rubenstein looking?
The dorms look good, appear to be fully constructed, perhaps still working on interiors(?). I forgot to take pictures as I was marveling at the Rubenstein. The tallest dorm building creates quite a presence on the south end of campus, as does the Rubenstein and the new hotel.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 2:02 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestsideLA View Post
Question:
Why don't (some) hotels have basements or underground foundations? I noticed that with the Sophy Hotel, too. They just built it right on top of the ground--like the Study--whereas the Rubinstein had a dug down foundation. I think that's why the Study went up so fast.
It depends on the hotel/situation. Most hotels have surface or first floor back of house and loading docks for easy access delivery of goods, laundry services, etc. Although there are some hotels in Chicago that have lower levels/basements (such as the Radisson Blu in the Aqua, the Fairmont, the Renaissance) all of which benefit from being adjacent to lower Wacker which provides back of house ease of access, away from busy streets above where loading docks would be tricky to do.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 2:29 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Question:
You answered your own question, sort of... developers in Chicago avoid building basements on large buildings whenever possible. This is due to the cost of soil retention/dewatering and the extra months/years it adds to the construction schedule. Sometimes there's no choice, though (like One Chicago).

Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
It depends on the hotel/situation. Most hotels have surface or first floor back of house and loading docks for easy access delivery of goods, laundry services, etc. Although there are some hotels in Chicago that have lower levels/basements (such as the Radisson Blu in the Aqua, the Fairmont, the Renaissance) all of which benefit from being adjacent to lower Wacker which provides back of house ease of access, away from busy streets above where loading docks would be tricky to do.
An example of a hotel in Chicago with a basement not extended to below street grade would be the Home2Suites at 110 W Huron.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
You answered your own question, sort of... developers in Chicago avoid building basements on large buildings whenever possible. This is due to the cost of soil retention/dewatering and the extra months/years it adds to the construction schedule. Sometimes there's no choice, though (like One Chicago).
So there's no real structural reason for an underground foundation in Chicago? I'm just asking because the Study Hotel and Rubenstein Forum are side by side, as you know. They spent months digging out the foundation for the Rubenstein, but the Study Hotel is just as tall, or so it appears, and yet they built it at ground level.

Maybe this changes for a tall skyscraper but I guess at lower level you can get away with a ground level foundation.

I ask this as a layman. I'm not in the contraction business and don't really know the engineering considerations.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 9:25 PM

Quote:
The dorms look good, appear to be fully constructed, perhaps still working on interiors(?). I forgot to take pictures as I was marveling at the Rubenstein. The tallest dorm building creates quite a presence on the south end of campus, as does the Rubenstein and the new hotel.
UChicago posted an interior tour of Woodlawn Commons:
https://v1.panoskin.com/?tour=5eb5c381d563b7343258248d

Old Posted Jun 26, 2020, 3:28 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
So there's no real structural reason for an underground foundation in Chicago? I'm just asking because the Study Hotel and Rubenstein Forum are side by side, as you know. They spent months digging out the foundation for the Rubenstein, but the Study Hotel is just as tall, or so it appears, and yet they built it at ground level.

Maybe this changes for a tall skyscraper but I guess at lower level you can get away with a ground level foundation.

I ask this as a layman. I'm not in the contraction business and don't really know the engineering considerations.
The basement isn't a requirement of a deep foundation system. You build a basement because you need the extra space, especially for things that are necessary but unattractive (parking, storage, utility stuff). A deep foundation in Chicago is usually a caisson system, and you can drill caissons from ground level just as easily as from Level -1.

This is for large commercial projects, of course. For homes, especially small ones, the need to put (shallow) foundations below the frost line at 5 feet down means you're already basically doing all the work to dig out a basement space, so you can either backfill that space after the foundations are poured and waste the effort, or pour a basement floor while you have it dug out and put it to good use.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2020, 4:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
The basement isn't a requirement of a deep foundation system. You build a basement because you need the extra space, especially for things that are necessary but unattractive (parking, storage, utility stuff). A deep foundation in Chicago is usually a caisson system, and you can drill caissons from ground level just as easily as from Level -1.

This is for large commercial projects, of course. For homes, especially small ones, the need to put (shallow) foundations below the frost line at 5 feet down means you're already basically doing all the work to dig out a basement space, so you can either backfill that space after the foundations are poured and waste the effort, or pour a basement floor while you have it dug out and put it to good use.
Thanks!!

Old Posted Jul 4, 2020, 5:48 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

From today:

Last edited by SIGSEGV; Jul 5, 2020 at 5:05 AM.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2020, 11:30 PM

Thanks for pics.

That last pic is a great shot of Woodlawn Commons, but two other buildings got in the way. LOL

Old Posted Jul 4, 2020, 11:44 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Thanks for pics.

That last pic is a great shot of Woodlawn Commons, but two other buildings got in the way. LOL
hah, sorry! looked through the rest of my pictures from yesterday and that's the best angle I got of Woodlawn Commons .

Old Posted Jul 5, 2020, 1:09 AM

Rubenstein looking sharp!! Pretty great collection of buildings lining both sides of the Midway now

Old Posted Jul 23, 2020, 8:55 PM

Pritzker announced new facilities would be built at the University of Illinois and "right here at the University of Chicago" at the Dept. of Energy event today.

https://www.facebook.com/uchicago/vi...8078529348931/

(29:50)

Could this be referring to a new building for the Molecular Engineering School or compsci or something else?

Old Posted Jul 24, 2020, 1:37 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Pritzker announced new facilities would be built at the University of Illinois and "right here at the University of Chicago" at the Dept. of Energy event today.

https://www.facebook.com/uchicago/vi...8078529348931/

(29:50)

Could this be referring to a new building for the Molecular Engineering School or compsci or something else?
Potentially - I had brought this up a few months ago; UC is planning a new construction building for the the school of Molecular Engineering, we responded to a very early RFQ, and I believe the building was planned to be around 200-300K gsf (which is quite large), but that was last year, and I suspect the current pandemic has put those plans on hold for a year or so. For now, I believe the dept is spread out in other locations on campus.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2020, 5:46 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Potentially - I had brought this up a few months ago; UC is planning a new construction building for the the school of Molecular Engineering, we responded to a very early RFQ, and I believe the building was planned to be around 200-300K gsf (which is quite large), but that was last year, and I suspect the current pandemic has put those plans on hold for a year or so. For now, I believe the dept is spread out in other locations on campus.
I think they're using office space in the old HEP building (not that they need it now with only essential and lab personnel allowed to return, for now). But yeah, I can't remember if they're taking the space in the old HEP building, or demolishing accelerator, or building a new building or what. I just know that high-bay space is going to be hard to come by soon...

Old Posted Jul 24, 2020, 9:23 PM

Quote:
I don't doubt that UChicago has taken a hit due to the pandemic. The announcement seemed to be of a $220 million loss so far. However, after yesterday's DOE announcement, it appears likely UChicago will be a participant in one of the DOE National Quantum Centers to be announced by the end of the month. That initiatives has $1.25 billion in Congressional funding so far.

https://www.hpherald.com/news/at-u-o...4e9be8533.html

Old Posted Jul 27, 2020, 5:41 AM

Last edited by Urbana; Feb 26, 2024 at 4:00 AM. Reason: .

Old Posted Aug 1, 2020, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbana View Post
Word around the Molecular Engineering department is that the pandemic has not delayed the building significantly. It will be built in two phases first replacing HEP and then Accelerator.
I believe it. It's basically a cash cow with all those grants.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development