HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Nov 23, 2019, 11:05 PM
heavy user of walkability

Quote:
Originally Posted by a very long weekend View Post
Sterile, server farm architecture that looks like it comes straight out of Canada.
server farms are round?

Old Posted Dec 16, 2019, 8:39 AM

"The redevelopment plan for the 300-acre Mission Bay area is maxed out, but amendments are in the works to allow for a few more major projects, including a 129-room hotel proposed by the Warriors next to their brand new Chase Center." -SF Examiner

https://www.sfexaminer.com/news/sf-m...ther-projects/

Old Posted Jun 19, 2020, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Warriors' hotel-condo complex wins Planning Commission approval
The Warriors hope to start construction on this hotel/condo project next year
By Laura Waxmann – Staff Reporter, San Francisco Business Times
Jun 18, 2020, 7:33pm EDT

The San Francisco Planning Commission approved a request Thursday by the Golden State Warriors to amend redevelopment plans for Mission Bay to allow a 129-room hotel and condo complex.

The change, already passed at the Commission on Community Investment and Infrastructure last month, now heads to the Board of Supervisors for final approval.

The new development is slated to provide 29 residential units plus the hotel rooms — which will be operated by SH Hotel & Resorts — as well as about 12,000 square feet of retail space at Mission Bay South Blocks 29-30, adjacent to the Chase Center.

The planned 14-story building — shaped like a cruise ship looking out onto the bay — would rise 160 feet at its tallest side and slope down to 84 feet. It is expected to break ground early next year and be completed in 2023.

The project needed series of land use approvals, including allowing hotel use and homes as principal uses within the area, which is permitted for commercial Industrial and retail use.

The plan was approved unanimously, despite questions over whether a previously certified and legally required environmental impact report for the Mission Bay redevelopment would be sufficient to gauge the hotel and condo project’s impacts on the surrounding neighborhood . . . .

https://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranc...VPaXIifQ%3D%3D

Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 6:44 AM

Quote:
Having been approved by San Francisco’s Board of Supervisors earlier this year, the Redevelopment Plan for Mission Bay South is slated to be amended this afternoon, clearing the way for the Golden State Warriors to demolish the existing three-story retail building on the northeast corner of the new Chase Center site and construct a new 160-foot-tall hotel, condo and retail complex.

Prior to the pandemic, the Warriors were positioning to break ground next summer (2021) and complete the 270,000-square-foot building in early 2023, building upon the Center’s existing foundation to expedite development and reduce construction costs (which were being projected to run around $720 per gross square foot).

http://socketsite.com/archives/2020/...and-dates.html

Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 3:15 PM

I'm trying to figure out why, after so many years of construction, they would demolish and rebuild the entire northeast corner of the complex?

Did the Warriors really not have this project in mind when building the original complex? Did they perhaps not add the hotel and condos originally in order to avoid having to deal with San Francisco's byzantine permitting process and expedite just the arena portion? Was the this hotel/condo something that really didn't pencil out initially with the rest of the project? Was it financing?

I'm just really interested in why this would be built in such an inefficient way as compared to the incredible efficiency at which the rest of the complex was built. Why would they choose to tear down a large portion of a brand new complex instead of just building this in from the beginning?

San Francisco development is so... interesting.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 6:57 PM
Build Baby Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitty View Post
I'm trying to figure out why, after so many years of construction, they would demolish and rebuild the entire northeast corner of the complex?

Did the Warriors really not have this project in mind when building the original complex? Did they perhaps not add the hotel and condos originally in order to avoid having to deal with San Francisco's byzantine permitting process and expedite just the arena portion? Was the this hotel/condo something that really didn't pencil out initially with the rest of the project? Was it financing?

I'm just really interested in why this would be built in such an inefficient way as compared to the incredible efficiency at which the rest of the complex was built. Why would they choose to tear down a large portion of a brand new complex instead of just building this in from the beginning?

San Francisco development is so... interesting.
It is not being demolished, just built on top of. The money people who own this site and are building a new hotel are going to make even more money off of this hotel. I don't know if it is 'inefficient', seems pretty efficient to have 20% of your hotel built before construction starts. I don't remember any plans for a hotel when this project was announced, it just seems like an idea that came later.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fimiak View Post
It is not being demolished, just built on top of. The money people who own this site and are building a new hotel are going to make even more money off of this hotel. I don't know if it is 'inefficient', seems pretty efficient to have 20% of your hotel built before construction starts. I don't remember any plans for a hotel when this project was announced, it just seems like an idea that came later.
No, I think the 2-story, rather minimalist structure that's there now WILL be largely deconstructed ("demolished" if you prefer) for construction of the hotel. It's really not much of a structure. Not sure if the foundation will remain the same or have to be modified.

I mean look at what's there--it's not much of a building (mostly glass and, in fact, it looks like it was designed as a "place holder"):

http://socketsite.com/archives/2020/...and-dates.html

Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 8:02 PM

Underneath that is, I believe, hooptopia

https://www.thehooptopia.com/

Old Posted Sep 16, 2020, 12:21 AM
Build Baby Build

It is exactly because of its largely rough state that I think it will just be added on to. I don't see them demolishing this, they can simply remove the glass and add on to what already exists.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2020, 2:40 PM

The proposal specifically includes the words "demolish" and "replace," so that certainly doesn't sound like building on top of.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2020, 5:55 PM

They over engineered the foundation to plan for possible hotel/condo expansion in the future according to this article.

https://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranc...apartment.html

Technically, the foundation is ready.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development