HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 2:31 AM

For U.S. universities everyone uses the USNWR list, not the newer intl. list, which uses totally different criteria.

In short, it's a grad-focused, non-U.S. list and doesn't really have any relevance to the regular USNWR list, which is entirely undergrad focused. So UCSF wouldn't be ranked. No high school student is looking to apply to UCSF, obviously.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Princeton Junction is the local train station. It's less than a 10 minute drive or cab ride from Princeton Junction to the campus. The Princeton Dinky is just a local shuttle to the main line.
The existence of the Princeton Branch Line is because Princeton isn’t directly on the main line.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nito View Post
The existence of the Princeton Branch Line is because Princeton isn’t directly on the main line.
Princeton Junction is the station. I'm not sure what's so hard to understand about that.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 2:39 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
But most of the nerd stereotypes are 100% accurate. Being a computer nerd is still completely uncool.

Don’t give me “I work in tech” and expect me to be impressed. Quite the opposite, I will seek out others who engage in interesting lines of work, and/or who are actually fun to be around.
I'm not a coder but when I tell people "I work in tech", they seem to be pretty intrigued. Because free food and cat memes on internal chats and all...

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
I'm not a coder but when I tell people "I work in tech", they seem to be pretty intrigued. Because free food and cat memes on internal chats and all...
I was just being a jerk. My post wasn't serious at all. I have nothing against anyone who works in tech in any capacity

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 3:17 PM

I am a coder and I can confirm that I am in fact 100% not cool.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 3:29 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
I was just being a jerk. My post wasn't serious at all. I have nothing against anyone who works in tech in any capacity
I know. I'm just taking the piss as well.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave8721 View Post
I am a coder and I can confirm that I am in fact 100% not cool.
Rubbish! You've been on here talking about insignificant and often pointless minutiae of buildings and cities for over a decade and a half with the rest of us totally cool dudes.

Now that is 100% cool in my book.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Stanford endowment grows by $12 billion
Sam Whiting
Oct. 27, 2021
Updated: Oct. 27, 2021 11:42 a.m.

On Tuesday, Stanford announced a 40.1% return for fiscal 2021 on its primary investment tool for the university vast endowment.

The return beat the 33.4% average return for university funds nationwide and added $12.1 billion to the endowment, bringing it to $41.9 billion, according to the latest available data.

All this came after the university attempted to cut 11 varsity sports in 2020, claiming the programs in non-revenue- producing pursuits like wrestling, fencing, field hockey and synchronized swimming were no longer affordable.

That decision was reversed this year following an outcry from alumni and student athletes . . . .
https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/...n-16568925.php

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
How are you at foosball?

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
The University of Michigan's grew by 41%, but started from a much lower base than Stanford's:

Quote:
The University of Michigan's endowment climbed $4.7 billion to a market value of $17 billion in the 2021 fiscal year that ended June 30, officials announced Thursday during the Board of Regents meeting.

The increase represented a 41% growth, said Geoffrey Chatas, executive vice president and chief financial officer for the school.

The endowment makes up the majority of the university's long-term investment strategy, Chatas told the board.

"We are very pleased with the strong performance," Chatas said. "But we also know that investment income, particularly in the short run, can be very volatile and investment performance needs to be understood in the context of looking at those returns over time."

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...ic/6124618001/

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 8:09 PM

For those who think the rankings don't matter: Florida to spend $150million to help 3 universities rise in USNews rankings.
https://www.miamiherald.com/news/loc...255335251.html

Quote:
State board wants $150 million to push three Florida universities up in national rankings

The Florida Board of Governors, which oversees all public universities, is requesting an additional $150 million from the Legislature to fund efforts to improve three Florida universities’ national rankings. The request is part of the board’s $3.57 billion budget request for the next fiscal year submitted to House lawmakers. If approved, the University of Florida, Florida State University and the University of South Florida would each receive $50 million.
Read more at: https://www.miamiherald.com/news/loc...#storylink=cpy

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 10:24 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
We went to OinkMoo last night for the very first time; it's only been open for 2 years, I think.

The Ti Kwan Yin Milk Tea I had was pretty good (Pics will be in the What Are You Eating? thread, hehe).
Yum! Tieguanyin (aka Iron Goddess/Buddha) tea is so good. Not a lot of places have it either. Most places just do your basic black, green, oolong, jasmine. At higher quality places, they'll have more specialized teas like Assam, Ceylon, Osmanthus, Earl Grey, Hojicha, and Genmaicha as well.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2021, 3:19 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
And they keep asking me for more money every month .

Old Posted Oct 29, 2021, 4:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
And they keep asking me for more money every month .
I stopped donating to Duke when they threw the lacrosse team under a bus and never apologized.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2021, 7:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCReid View Post
Rankings seem inconsistent to me - some like MIT, and easter IVYs seems properly ranked, but others do not, at least to me. One Japanese university versus more than five from Australia. U of Cal universities are good, but is UUC San Francisco really so much better than the U Michigan or Wisconsin? In TX, Rice is considered the best university, even better than UT Austin.
UCSF is a graduate-only medical research university. There are no undergraduate programs. It is one of the top five recipients of NIH/NSF funding and a major source for researchers for the Bay Area's biotech industry. It;s economic/academic outputs far exceed UMich or Wisconsin-Madison

Old Posted Oct 29, 2021, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Princeton Junction is the station. I'm not sure what's so hard to understand about that.
Princeton Junction (the clue is in the name), is a junction on the NEC mainline for the segregated Princeton Branch Line that runs 4.3km to… Princeton.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2021, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memester View Post
UCSF is a graduate-only medical research university. There are no undergraduate programs. It is one of the top five recipients of NIH/NSF funding and a major source for researchers for the Bay Area's biotech industry. It;s economic/academic outputs far exceed UMich or Wisconsin-Madison
You are certainly entitled to your opinion but I would surmise that most people would disagree with that assessment. I'm guessing that UCSF ranks so highly because it is in the Bay area with some many other highly ranked institutions and more importantly companies. If it was in the midwest, it would not be ranked. I even doubt that it is more influential for medical/research than the Mayo Clinic in Rochester Minnesota or the Cleveland Clinic.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2021, 3:03 PM

UCSF is a university. Mayo Clinic and Cleveland Clinic aren't universities.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2021, 3:04 PM

Attempting to "rank" universities whose structures, offerings, and missions vastly differ is senseless to me.

Comparing what fully amounts to a relatively small, postgrad health sciences vocational training center and medical research institute with massive, comprehensive universities, and then claiming that one is "better" than the other..... just totally estupido.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions