HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Old Posted May 15, 2022, 8:55 PM
The good old days are now

my photos, yesterday

Old Posted May 15, 2022, 11:44 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Finally! I have been waiting for Montreal updates!
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted May 16, 2022, 2:31 AM

I definitely need to do this more often haha

Old Posted May 18, 2022, 10:50 PM
Homo Platoregimontis

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLskyline View Post
I definitely need to do this more often haha
Definitely !! Especially that we have six 200 meters under construction at the present time in the downtown and many others a little shorter everywhere in the central business district !! Nice updates !! Well appreciated !!

Come to see our SC4 cities at http://www.toutsimcity.com/forums/af....php?forum=vil
or here : http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=117089

Old Posted May 19, 2022, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarabundi View Post
Definitely !! Especially that we have six 200 meters under construction at the present time in the downtown and many others a little shorter everywhere in the central business district !! Nice updates !! Well appreciated !!
Well, 5 200-202m and 1 185m, but this is still amazing to see. Definitely think more is on the way but 2023 onwards.

Old Posted May 22, 2022, 11:01 PM

my photo

Old Posted Jul 12, 2022, 2:19 AM
The Vomit Bag.

I walked by it this weekend, while taking in the Jazz festival. It has risen considerably since the last photo.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Jul 12, 2022, 6:13 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

One would assume at least another 5-6 stories higher.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Jul 12, 2022, 9:01 PM
Look at me!

by Missing_Matter on agoramtl https://forum.agoramtl.com/t/maestri...etages/169/946

Maestria from Maisonneuve street

@Dom723

Old Posted Aug 17, 2022, 5:40 PM
The Vomit Bag.

It is so great to see fresh skyscrapers in that district that for too long has been dominated by the mediocre brutalist towers of Place Desjardins.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2022, 2:16 AM

All the construction projects in Montreal are nice, and Montreal has grown to be one of my favorite cities however the height limit will eventually stunt Montreal's growth and other Canadian cities, especially Calgary and Edmonton may surpass Montreal in population by either 2030 no later than 2040 site both cities have registered high growth rates in each census estimate, plus both Calgary and Edmonton have lots of land, so it's easier to put a lot of people with both cities limits while Montreal has 365.13 km2 (140.98 sq mi) of land to work with. This was a reason why I didn't want Mayor Plante elected because she still wanted to enforce the antiquated height limit law while other cities are constructing higher dwellings and towers.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2022, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer34 View Post
All the construction projects in Montreal are nice, and Montreal has grown to be one of my favorite cities however the height limit will eventually stunt Montreal's growth and other Canadian cities, especially Calgary and Edmonton may surpass Montreal in population by either 2030 no later than 2040 site both cities have registered high growth rates in each census estimate, plus both Calgary and Edmonton have lots of land, so it's easier to put a lot of people with both cities limits while Montreal has 365.13 km2 (140.98 sq mi) of land to work with. This was a reason why I didn't want Mayor Plante elected because she still wanted to enforce the antiquated height limit law while other cities are constructing higher dwellings and towers.
You don't need skyscrapers. The city of Montreal was growing pretty fast before the covid years.

Montreal (city) : 1,784,681 , 2021 ; 1,704,694 , 2016

That is strong growth.

Calgary : 2016 , 1,239,220 ; 2021 , 1,306,784

In 2016 the difference was 465,474, in 2021 it's 477,897.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2022, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer34 View Post
Who cares if the municipalities of Calgary and Edmonton surpass the municipality of Montreal in terms of population? The municipality of Montreal is basically built-out and sits on an island. Calgary and Edmonton make up 80-90% of their respective metropolitan areas' populations so it's normal that the city propers will gobble up the growth as they continue to sprawl outward. Metro population is what counts anyway. No one thinks that Edmonton is 'bigger' than Vancouver.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2022, 8:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaterMontréal View Post
You don't need skyscrapers. The city of Montreal was growing pretty fast before the covid years.

That is strong growth.

It may have a lot to do with economy, as the energy sector has slowed down in Alberta as a result of the Keystone pipeline was closed and many major energy companies just haven't been hiring which is the result of the lower growth than five years back.

Montreal is currently the second largest city in Canada, but even that can change if Alberta's economy rebounds. It all depends on the economy and like I said if I had to choose between Calgary and Montreal to live in then I'd live in Montreal because it reminds me a lot like New York and Philadelphia.

Calgary is another interesting city but with 820.62 km2 (316.84 sq mi) of land, it would be much easier to place 2 million people within the city limits by not building much multifamily housing as opposed to what Montreal has to do, which is to build multifamily housing and more midrises on 365.13 km2 (140.98 sq mi) of land.

I'd still choose Montreal over Calgary for living if I was given the choice, but I can't deny the potential of Calgary being the second largest city in Canada by surpassing Montreal and even Edmonton being number three but there are factors (cost of living, local economy, land values, etc.) that will make a difference if Calgary and Edmonton becomes #2 & #3 cities in Canada.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeej View Post
Who cares if the municipalities of Calgary and Edmonton surpass the municipality of Montreal in terms of population? The municipality of Montreal is basically built-out and sits on an island. Calgary and Edmonton make up 80-90% of their respective metropolitan areas' populations so it's normal that the city propers will gobble up the growth as they continue to sprawl outward. Metro population is what counts anyway. No one thinks that Edmonton is 'bigger' than Vancouver.
As far as city limits go, Calgary and Edmonton are bigger cities than Vancouver when it comes to population and land areas (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._by_population), but Vancouver has the stronger economy (https://www.statista.com/statistics/...-areas-canada/) as of 2016 and of 2021.

Any city can change and in the 20th century, Montreal was the largest city in Canada until amalgamation laws allowed Canadian cities to gobble up nearby communities to appear bigger, and as a result of that, Toronto became the biggest city by 2001.

It's not whether you care if Calgary or Edmonton surpasses Montreal in population, it's just the fact that the Canadian economy is reliant on petroleum and the centers of the petroleum industries lie in Calgary and Edmonton. If anything, it would be a game changer if Montreal allowed 300 m skyscrapers but the city has been governed by archaic height limits and now with Law 101 being reinstitute in Quebec, while I do believe that Montreal is the most cosmopolitan city in Canada even over Toronto, I believe that by trying to force everybody to speak French, it's only going to have a negative effect on Montreal and Quebec it it's fully enforced.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2022, 1:21 PM
Look at me!

Wow. So, unless Montreal starts buildings massive 300m skyscrapers...Edmonton will surpass the city in population? You're not serious.

Last edited by Rico Rommheim; Sep 21, 2022 at 3:58 PM.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2022, 7:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Rommheim View Post
Wow. So, unless Montreal starts buildings massive 300m skyscrapers...Edmonton will surpass the city in population? You're not serious.
Montreal is the second densest city in Canada. Only Vancouver has more people per sq. km. But the issue isn't the population nor the density, it's more economic since having more people usually means a bigger economy but if Calgary and Edmonton surpass Montreal in population due to both cities having massive land area and both cities decide to densify, don't say I didn't warn you.

I'm actually loving Montreal and don't want it to be mired by the same problems that Philadelphia faced before 1987. Montreal holds a special place in Canada and North America as the largest French-speaking city and metro area, and a lot of the cultural amenities reflect that such as the Cirque de Soleil. If Montreal doesn't want to build supertalls, that's their prerogative but somewhere in our lifetimes if it continues to hold that outdated view of not needing supertalls and Calgary and Edmonton decides to bolster their economies by building supertalls, just don't be shocked if Calgary and Edmonton becomes number two and three, respectively in Canada's largest cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaterMontréal View Post

That is strong growth.

Also, if you consider the growth rates, Calgary still has a higher five-year rate than Montreal at 5.5% over Montreal's 3.4%. and Edmonton is outperforming both cities in growth at 8.3% (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._by_population).

Old Posted Oct 21, 2022, 4:41 PM
The Vomit Bag.

It is ridiculous to suggest that Edmonton and Calgary will surpass Montreal, when the latter metro is still 3 times larger than either of the former. It is like saying Austin will surpass New York City.

Percentage growth is often much higher in smaller, newer cities. Older, larger cities rarely expand at the same rate. EdmonCalg growth rates will slow as they grow larger. Take a look at Montreal's growth rates in the 1950s-60s, if you want to be impressed.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2022, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Rommheim View Post
Anyway, "un de ces quatre matins" (one of these days), something supertall will be necessary, eh.
When the downtown is so freaking built-up that there's no more room to be found out there, they'll have to make some anyhow.

As for the Calgary/Edmonton jealy trolls, don't even feed them. It's like Montreal is building a 150m condo tower every month while they're left way behind.
They had the bashing coming, eh!

Old Posted Mar 12, 2023, 2:28 PM

Yesterday

Old Posted Mar 12, 2023, 4:23 PM

Header should be updated to 185 metres/202 metres.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction