Five World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 23, 2010, 12:51 AM
New Yorker for life

At least this thing's almost down...

SpecialBrewCan

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2010, 6:27 AM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2010, 5:44 PM

Old Posted Oct 24, 2010, 5:51 PM

thats looks a bit absurd... does it say to destroy the Wfc to make a swamp?

Old Posted Oct 24, 2010, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
thats looks a bit absurd... does it say to destroy the Wfc to make a swamp?
Um I think whoever made model just took away the WFC so you could see the new WTC site and memorial, it's a model of the new area. I was more interested in the model on the Tower 5 site though, where did that come from? It would seem it was speculative but whoever made the model sure put a lot of work into it if that was the case. The shot is from September.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2010, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
if thats the tower then its huge!

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Oct 24, 2010, 10:32 PM

So I take it its a big mystery as to what this tower will look like and when it will start construction? Does anybody also know what is happening with the adjacent lots? I thought some older buildings had been recently demoed.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2010, 10:59 PM
New Yorker for life

Those photos looked to be at some urban planning event. I wouldn't take it too seriously. For example, tower 5 certainly won't be that much taller than tower 3 or tower 4.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2010, 11:43 PM

^^^Or the fact that half the WFC is gone. They even bothered to put in a replacement building on the corner where there's currently skybridge connecting the WFC together,

Old Posted Oct 24, 2010, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Those photos looked to be at some urban planning event. I wouldn't take it too seriously. For example, tower 5 certainly won't be that much taller than tower 3 or tower 4.
"Certainly" is too strong of a word. I'd say that the site won't be developed until the next boom, but once the next boom comes in, we don't know how strong it will be. No one foresaw such a rapid growth of skyscrapers in the NYC following 9/11; if anything, skyscrapers were assumed to be a dying typology in the city. 9/11 itself was an event that no one foresaw (or maybe a bunch of people did, but we don't discuss conspiracies here). Though you're right that 5 WTC is just a crude massing in the model, we can't call things with certainty that far into the future, especially on such an unpredictable location as the Lower Manhattan has proven to be in the past 100 years.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2010, 8:26 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecom View Post
"Certainly" is too strong of a word. I'd say that the site won't be developed until the next boom, but once the next boom comes in, we don't know how strong it will be.

Though you're right that 5 WTC is just a crude massing in the model, we can't call things with certainty that far into the future, especially on such an unpredictable location as the Lower Manhattan has proven to be in the past 100 years.
Well, there are two points to draw that conclusion:

1.) They're pretty much intent on sticking with the site plan, thouth the Port Authority hasn't decided on exaclty what mix the project will be, one thing that is certain is the size of what is to be developed there. Something taller than tower 4 is very unlikely, something taller than tower 3 not even probable at this point.

2.) The Port Authority insists it wants to move forward with tower 5 sooner rather than later. It's possible one of the banks looking for space now can step in and build an 800 footer like the tower previously planned, or we can see some type of mixed use tower with commercial space on the lower floors.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2010, 8:52 PM

Quote:
1.) They're pretty much intent on sticking with the site plan, thouth the Port Authority hasn't decided on exaclty what mix the project will be, one thing that is certain is the size of what is to be developed there. Something taller than tower 4 is very unlikely, something taller than tower 3 not even probable at this point.
Really? They were talking about putting the performance arts center on the site for quite some time, how is that "sticking with the site plan"?

Quote:
2.) The Port Authority insists it wants to move forward with tower 5 sooner rather than later. It's possible one of the banks looking for space now can step in and build an 800 footer like the tower previously planned, or we can see some type of mixed use tower with commercial space on the lower floors.
If they let a bank take it the site it could certainly end up being taller than 800 feet. Everything is speculation until that kind of decision is made.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2010, 2:13 AM

Quote:
Bloomberg Doubts If Gehry's WTC Hall Will Ever Get Built

Mayor Bloomberg says he’s not sure the city will be able to raise enough private money to construct the performing arts center at Ground Zero.

“It is certainly not a go until we find out whether we can raise $300 million,” he told reporters after a media event when he helped plant the 50th tree at the September 11 Memorial plaza. “It’s hard to raise money in this market.”

The performing arts center is one of the final pieces of Daniel Libeskind’s master plan for the redevelopment of the World Trade Center site and a particularly dear one to the thousands of residents who’ve made Lower Manhattan into more of a residential neighborhood since the September 11 attacks.

But the center, which will house the Joyce Theater, also been an orphan, without any clear chaperone in charge of seeing that it actually gets built. The Bloomberg administration has recently taken the lead, but the mayor said the city couldn’t afford to pay for it by itself.

The Lower Manhattan Development Corporation, a city and state board, allocated $100 million in federal funds three weeks ago as seed money for the project. That money comes on top of $45 million that is expected to be used beginning this fall to pay for underground construction work.

“We've got to explore whether or not we can find some very generous foundations, companies and individuals who can make a major difference,” Bloomberg said.

The center would be located near the northeastern corner of the World Trade Center site, at the extension of Fulton and Greenwich streets.
http://www.wnyc.org/articles/wnyc-ne...ver-get-built/

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Oct 28, 2010, 3:19 AM
The Time To Build Is Now

I still don't quite get the reasoning for having this performing arts center as part of the master plan. Just feels out of place compared to the rest of the complex. I can see it being built in or around Midtown where Lincoln Center and Carnegie Hall reside, not in Lower Manhattan in the middle of a financial district.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2010, 1:27 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Really? They were talking about putting the performance arts center on the site for quite some time, how is that "sticking with the site plan"?
They were talking about moving the PAC, becaust it too is part of the site plan, and there was a danger of losing it all together because the PA is in active construction on that site and a decision hadn't been made on funding. They weren't going to scrap tower 5. But the issue has been resolved.

Quote:
If they let a bank take it the site it could certainly end up being taller than 800 feet. Everything is speculation until that kind of decision is made.
No, it won't be because the skyscraper would likely have large floor plates. The extrea square footage for a taller tower won't come out of the air. LIke I said, see the previous proposal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC4Life View Post
I still don't quite get the reasoning for having this performing arts center as part of the master plan. Just feels out of place compared to the rest of the complex. I can see it being built in or around Midtown where Lincoln Center and Carnegie Hall reside, not in Lower Manhattan in the middle of a financial district.
That's precisely why it's part of the site plan.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2010, 3:37 AM
Because I'm Clever!

Quote:
That thing is 1,200 feet tall and at least 3 million square feet. Actually, it might even be 5 million, since it looks like they combined the city two blocks on the south side of Liberty into one, and there's a giant, 20 story high block with a floor plate spanning the two blocks, with a slighly smaller wing branching off of the main tower above. It's the size of 3 &4 put together.

They did leave 1 World Financial Center intact, at least.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2010, 5:34 AM

They should place a hotel adjacent to 1WTC and move the PAC with a Bank occupying the higher floors at the anticipated Tower 5 site.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2010, 3:02 PM

They already did that. The PA said no.

The Millennium Hilton, 123 Washington, and the future 99 Church are all in walking distance. Why bother with yet another hotel?

Old Posted Nov 3, 2010, 12:05 AM
DENNAB

Well remember when we were all certain that nothing higher than 70 floors and 900 feet was going to be built on this site? Well look at it now, I wouldn't really get too down about tower 5, If it's smaller than tower 4 hopefully it at least has a great design. But personally I think the spiral plan is rather silly and could easily be overruled, I think building taller than 3 and 4 wtc would look really good there. who knows maybe well get lucky

Old Posted Nov 3, 2010, 1:35 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
I think the spiral plan is rather silly and could easily be overruled, I think building taller than 3 and 4 wtc would look really good there. who knows maybe well get lucky
That defies logic when you consider the size of the building and location. Taller wold be nice, but realistically, I wouldn't expect or even look for it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals