HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

View Poll Results: Population Sweepstakes: Which is likely to occur first?
Ontario hits 16 million 23 30.67%
Quebec hits 9 million 7 9.33%
BC hits 5.5 million 20 26.67%
Okotoks hits 12 million 25 33.33%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Oct 12, 2022, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewave46 View Post
Some thoughts:

Most of the trucks are running between the US and Canada in Southern Ontario and Quebec if they are leaving the region. The eastern and western portions of this country are less economically tied in the same sense than the industrial cities of North America rely on each other. Look at where major auto plants and subcontractors are located: a giant band running from northern Mexico, through Texas, the Southeastern US, US Midwest and into southern Ontario.

Western Canada’s economic base is more resource based. So, that’s bulk transport. Pipelines and trains. Logistically, western Canada tends to be more served from the US, because shipping to Winnipeg from Minneapolis is the easier solution for many goods. Same with shipping from Seattle to Vancouver. Sourcing from Ontario doesn’t work as well, despite being in the same country because distance.

Also, the drive via the 401 and US Interstates is just much nicer (and cheaper fuel!) than along most of Highways 11 and 17 in Ontario.

That was goin to be my response almost exactly.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2022, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I believe there are sections of Highway 11 west of Hearst in the Longlac and Beardmore areas which are below 1000 ADDT. Some might even be closer to 500 vehicles a day.
I've done that drive a few times.

The most exciting part of the trip is the signs posted every 20km between Hearst and Longlac that announces one is 20km closer. It feels like they're spaced 50km apart. Which tells you something about how exciting the drive is.

When leaving Hearst westbound, the houses stop after a bit. Then the railway stops. Then the power lines stop. Then it is just trees and asphalt for miles ahead.

I do not miss that drive.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2022, 3:29 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewave46 View Post
I've done that drive a few times.

The most exciting part of the trip is the signs posted every 20km between Hearst and Longlac that announces one is 20km closer. It feels like they're spaced 50km apart. Which tells you something about how exciting the drive is.

When leaving Hearst westbound, the houses stop after a bit. Then the railway stops. Then the power lines stop. Then it is just trees and asphalt for miles ahead.

I do not miss that drive.
One of my wife's parents grew up in a small village in that region that is probably only a hamlet with 50 people left today.

Must have been a helluva place in the 1950s.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada