HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 19, 2023, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
^^^ you mean a team the Jets should absolutely not lose to because they are so much better than the Blues.

…I smell a loss.
Since the Jets are most likely to start Rittich in net, I am not optimistic either.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2023, 11:49 PM

Urrugh!

Winnipeg out-shot St.Louis 13-7, but are trailing 1-0.

It seems the Jets can't find the net, especially on the Power Play.

At least we won't lose any ground,, as Nashville is getting pummelled 6-0.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 4:02 AM

Biff called it. I took a look at the shot chart on TSN after the game and while the Jets badly outshot the Blues, most of their shots were not what you would call high quality scoring chances. The vast majority of the Blues were high quality opportunities.

How pathetic is the offense that they can't even score a goal against the shitshow defense and goaltending of the blues! Old man Wheezer continues to stumble and bumble on the Jets power play which is probably the worst in the NHL the past few weeks. Why he continues to get so many minutes on PP is beyond me!

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 1:22 PM
What could go wrong?

Speaks for itself.

"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 1:49 PM

^ Man. The Jets can't even tank properly. In the end, all that success in the fall and early winter accomplished was eliminating any shot at landing Bedard or one of the other exceptional prospects in this year's draft. The best case scenario now is to land the 8th seed playoff spot only to get drilled by Vegas in the first round.

I still don't understand what changed from, say, mid November to mid February such that the Jets went from world beaters to sad sacks.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 1:56 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Man. The Jets can't even tank properly. In the end, all that success in the fall and early winter accomplished was eliminating any shot at landing Bedard or one of the other exceptional prospects in this year's draft. The best case scenario now is to land the 8th seed playoff spot only to get drilled by Vegas in the first round.

I still don't understand what changed from, say, mid November to mid February such that the Jets went from world beaters to sad sacks.
Goaltending, if Helly even goes average this team loses, he masked a lot of problems namely the the team can’t score, the D is terrible and the Jets really only have 3-4 real top six forwards!

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 2:28 PM

They have to get asetts back for pld and Wheeler this summer the inaction last summer really hurt this club as it feels like no one knows its long term direction or what kind of team it wants to be

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 3:05 PM

Quote:
There is no point in tanking with the draft lottery in place. Even the worst team only has a 25% chance of winning the lottery.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 3:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post
There is no point in tanking with the draft lottery in place. Even the worst team only has a 25% chance of winning the lottery.
This is going to be the most stacked draft in years, though... Bedard is widely recognized as a generational talent, but the first five picks have a good potential to yield franchise players.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
Biff called it. I took a look at the shot chart on TSN after the game and while the Jets badly outshot the Blues, most of their shots were not what you would call high quality scoring chances. The vast majority of the Blues were high quality opportunities.
I honestly can't imagine how tiring it must be to grind out so many games in a season, both mentally and physically, but it does seem like the team just kind of decided, unconsciously or consciously, to stop paying the price to get those high quality scoring chances.

Is this team "culture"? Do the players just not feel like playing past a certain level for themselves or their team-mates? I know it's light-years difference between the NHL and the CFL, but somehow the Bombers have been able to find people who build a team culture where players genuinely seem to want to play here and for each other. I doubt it could be fully replicated in a small market city that is, I admit, not that attractive for a lot of young guys to play in.

Can this be turned around, or does the team need to blow it up and start again, with a new GM on down?

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
Is this team "culture"? Do the players just not feel like playing past a certain level for themselves or their team-mates? I know it's light-years difference between the NHL and the CFL, but somehow the Bombers have been able to find people who build a team culture where players genuinely seem to want to play here and for each other. I doubt it could be fully replicated in a small market city that is, I admit, not that attractive for a lot of young guys to play in.
If anything, it should be easier to find guys who can do this in the NHL. Pretty well any NHL player past the ELC stage is earning a small fortune. Even if you're banished to dreaded Winnipeg, you can still focus on keeping your production up so that you can one day make your escape /s.

By contrast, you could ask why a CFL player earning $125,000 should put blood, sweat and tears into building a winning team and a winning culture. But the Bombers have certainly been able to do that.

I guess at the end of the day it isn't about the size of your paycheque. It's about heart. And that's something many of the Jets players are obviously lacking.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 8:34 PM

I've given up on the team. The only saving grace is overall weakness in the West.

But really if they squeak in the playoffs, will the team suddenly show up to play?

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 8:54 PM

Quote:
I honestly can't imagine how tiring it must be to grind out so many games in a season, both mentally and physically, but it does seem like the team just kind of decided, unconsciously or consciously, to stop paying the price to get those high quality scoring chances.

Can this be turned around, or does the team need to blow it up and start again, with a new GM on down?
I think the identity of the team needs to change to create buy in and that comes from drafting. Everyone who plays the Bombers knows they will run the ball and play amazing defense. For the Jets are they a high flying offensive team? Maybe kinda sort of on some nights. Are they a defensive grinding and checking team? Not at all. For elite teams like Boston you know right away what kind of team they are and their identity. To me jets need a blowup start from scratch with new coach and gm and build a physical hard hitting team over the next 3-4 years.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 12:30 AM

Quote:

I'm leaning towards the organization being forced to due a major retool/rebuild as PLD will almost certainly not sign an extension. I've been hearing stories that Scheif is not interested in signing an extension either. Lastly, Helly confirmed a year or so ago he would only consider an extension if the team is competitive.

True North was looking at dealing Wheeler last off season but they were not willing to retain salary which killed off any potential trade given he is not worth his salary. I doubt they change their mind this off-season. Maybe at next year's trade deadline someone would take him off the Jets hands.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 3:35 AM

The Turtle race continues!

After one period, the Calgary Flames are losing 4-0 to LA. It looks like whoever can put together a modest winning streak will squeeze into the playoffs. Calgary and Nashville are doing their best to help the Jets make the playoffs, but Winnipeg can't finish the job.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 4:03 AM

Quote:
This is going to be the most stacked draft in years, though... Bedard is widely recognized as a generational talent, but the first five picks have a good potential to yield franchise players.
Jets are a bubble team. Realistically the only way we would finish near the bottom 5 teams, is if Helly went down with a season ending injury early in the year. We have been pretty bad since the All-Star break, but were not bottom feeders....yet. Incidentally, the same thing happened to the Jets in 2018-19. Deja vu.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2023, 2:35 AM

It was not pretty. Our power play is horrible.

However, thanks to Hellebuyck. we managed to sneak out a win vs Arizona 2-1.

Jets move to 40-29-3, good enough to remain 5 points up on Nashville and Calgary for the final Wildcard playoff spot.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2023, 1:04 PM
What could go wrong?

So it seems like I was wrong about admitting I was wrong about questioning the commitment of our top players earlier on in the season...does that even make sense????

I know I was saying there seems to be an issue in the room and that maybe Maurice was the problem. Once Maurice was gone the Jets could do no wrong....well, it seems the same issue within the room is back. Most are pointing their fingers at the same suspects as before - Scheifele and Wheeler. I am now back on the bandwagon that this might be true.

How can you have a motivation problem when you are in a playoff fight for your life after you have had a horrendous couple of months falling from first place?

"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Mar 23, 2023, 2:11 PM

Old Posted Mar 23, 2023, 4:54 PM

"We'll probably call the Mayo Clinic for 18 heart transplants" --Orval Tessier, Chicago Blackhawks coach, 1983
Maybe Bowness needs to make that call today?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan