HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Old Posted May 16, 2009, 8:13 PM

It was supposed to start in late february, then.. mid - spring, now September.

This is a total joke.

Old Posted May 17, 2009, 11:29 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seat24inNJ View Post
This is a total joke.
The lawsuits had to play out. At every turn, Ratner (and the state) has proven victorious. But the NIMBYs don't go down easily.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 17, 2009, 11:33 AM
New Yorker for life

Now on to that design for the arena...

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/16/ny...ards.html?_r=1
Quote:
An hour after learning that a state appeals court had dismissed a major challenge to his long-delayed Atlantic Yards development project, the developer Bruce C. Ratner said he planned to break ground by October on an $800 million basketball arena for the New Jersey Nets in Brooklyn.

Given the anemic economy, the housing and the commercial building may have to wait for some time. But Mr. Ratner said he planned to complete the design for the arena, obtain final government approvals and issue the bonds for the project by fall.

In the last six months, Mr. Ratner has sought additional subsidies beyond the $300 million in cash and tens of millions in tax breaks already approved for the project. He has also said he wants to pare the projected $1 billion cost of the arena by about $200 million. He said he would decide within 60 days whether to keep the original design, by the architect Frank Gehry, or use another.

He said he hoped to erect the first residential building six to nine months after starting the arena.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/05162009..._to_169509.htm
Quote:
After scoring a huge court victory yesterday, developer Bruce Ratner says he'll break ground on Brooklyn's embattled Atlantic Yards project this September -- and may even have the Nets playing there by the 2011-12 season.

Ratner said a revised arena plan would be released at a later date and promised it would still be a Gehry-design that's top-notch.

He said the arena --which Barclays Bank is paying a record $400 million to slap its name on -- would be the first part of Atlantic Yards to break ground in September, followed by four of the high-rises during the project's first phase.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 18, 2009, 10:16 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/..._on_track.html

Ruling could put Ratner's Atlantic Yards project back on track

BY Jotham Sederstrom
May 16th 2009

Developer Bruce Ratner scored a major victory Friday in his plan to build a Nets basketball arena in Brooklyn.

Ratner vowed to break ground this summer on the massive Atlantic Yards development, which also includes residential towers.

"We're very, very happy," Ratner told the Daily News Friday, hours after the court victory. "This is really the last hurdle that we have and now we can do what our company does best and build an arena and houses."

A panel of four New York appellate judges ruled that Forest City Ratner's use of eminent domain to take private property to build a new home for the Nets does not violate the state Constitution.

State officials believe the ruling, one of more than a dozen favoring Forest City Ratner since 2005, removes the final obstacle to construction.

The decision allows Ratner to qualify for tax-free bonds to build the arena and the go-ahead to purchase the MTA-owned rail yard on which it will be built.

Foes of the project said they would appeal - possibly delaying the project from several months to three years.

The decision affects nine property owners and about a dozen residential and commercial buildings expected to be bulldozed by Forest City Ratner to make way for the unpopular $4.2 billion project in Prospect Heights.

A separate legal tussle over the accuracy of a state environmental impact study could also reach an appellate court later this year, the lawyer said.

"If they think they can do anything where my clients properties are they're very wrong," said attorney Matthew Brinckerhoff.

"At a minimum, if we lose every single thing imaginable, it's still going to take them four to six months," Brinckerhoff said.

Daniel Goldstein, a plaintiff in the suit and a member of the anti-Yards group Develop Don't Destroy Brooklyn, said demolition will not go forward until each case is resolved.

"We're disappointed in the ruling, but we're going to go to the court of appeals," Goldstein said.

At Freddy's Bar and Backroom, one of the properties that would be mowed down, bar manager Mike Sternfeld charged the entire project is a sweetheart deal.

"It's absurd," said Sternfeld, 44. "Now Ratner gets to put up his private city. This is a disgusting abuse of eminent domain. He has so many friends in Albany he can pull this off. When the stadium goes up, I lose my home and my job."

Old Posted May 27, 2009, 11:42 AM
New Yorker for life

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/...antic_yar.html

Architectural firm Ellerbe Becket tapped to reevaluate Frank Gehry's Atlantic Yards arena design

BY Jotham Sederstrom
May 27th 2009

A midwest architectural firm that has designed dozens of professional sports arenas could bump Frank Gehry and his glitzy arena vision from the Atlantic Yards project.

Ellerbe Becket, a Missouri-based firm, was tapped last fall to reevaluate the extravagant arena design Gehry conceived for developer Forest City Ratner to lure the NBA's New Jersey Nets to Brooklyn.

"We are working with Forest City," said Bill Crockett, Ellerbe Becket's sports director. "We've been working with them for some time, doing some analysis for them on the arena."

Headquartered in Kansas City, Ellerbe Becket is known for designs that are more cost-efficient than Gehry's projects, which tend to be full of ruffles and flourishes.

The firm, which has designed basketball arenas for the NBA's teams in Memphis and Charlotte, was hired around the same time Gehry axed nearly every one of his employees who had been working on the stalled project.

A Forest City Ratner spokesman Tuesday insisted the firm had been hired to implement cost-cutting measures for the estimated $800 million arena, but observers familiar with how Frank Gehry works suspect that could soon change.

"Because Gehry's designs are fairly complex, any real changes would probably end up looking like an Ellerbe Becket project," said a former Gehry architect who worked on Atlantic Yards until being laid off late last year. "[Gehry's projects are] relatively difficult to execute."

Ratner spokesman Joe DePlasco said a reevaluation of Gehry's design would be completed by July, at which point Ratner will determine whether the world-famous architect would remain on the project.

He insisted Gehry is now the master architect of the $4.2 billion Atlantic Yards project, which was expected to include the arena and 16 residential and commercial towers to be developed in Prospect Heights.

"As we have said repeatedly, we are talking to a lot of people in an effort to identify savings given the realities of the current economic environment," said DePlasco. "We should complete the process this summer and will have more to say about it at that time."

Daniel Goldstein, a member of the anti-Atlantic Yards group Develop Don't Destroy Brooklyn, questioned Ratner's stated commitment to break ground at the site as early as September, even though a final design for the arena has yet to be determined.

"[Developer Bruce] Ratner claims he can finance [the] arena and break ground this coming fall," Goldstein said. "That's impossible. He doesn't even know who's designing the arena or what it costs."

Old Posted Jun 2, 2009, 12:28 AM
New Yorker for life

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/...ver_yards.html

Job hungry hardhats jeer opponents at debate over Atlantic Yards

BY Jotham Sederstrom
May 30th 2009

A public hearing on the controversial Atlantic Yards project spun out of control Friday as hundreds of job-hungry union laborers repeatedly shouted down opponents of the building plan.

Most of the 200 seats at a Pratt University auditorium in Brooklyn were filled early by boisterous workers who support the project because of the 17,000 jobs developer Forest City Ratner has said it would create.

"I think if we could eliminate some of the whistling and shouting ..." the event organizer, said state Sen. Bill Perkins, only to be interrupted by a new round of jeers.

"Go home, Bill!" several workers shouted at Perkins, whose district is in Harlem. "I live here! Bill, go home!"

The five-hour hearing was called by Perkins and other state senators to determine the status of the delayed $4.2 billion project, which is being reevaluated by designers in a bid to cut costs.

As it stands, the plan is expected to include a professional basketball arena for the New Jersey Nets and 16 residential and office towers.

Officials from several city agencies testified during the four-hour informational hearing, as did supporters and opponents of the plan.

But it was the laborers who stole the show.

At one point, the hearing veered completely off track when state Sen. Velmanette Montgomery (D-Brooklyn), a critic of the plan, berated fellow Sen. Marty Golden (R-Brooklyn) for showing up late.

That prompted workers to erupt in jeers in a show of support for Golden, who backs the 22-acre project.

"It's called frustration," Golden said later of the laborers' reaction. "These guys want the jobs that were promised, and they let that be heard today."

He took a swipe at Montgomery's "misplaced anger," saying, "she's the one who's been holding this project hostage for so long."

Old Posted Jun 4, 2009, 10:13 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/05/ny...l?_r=1&src=twr

Developer Drops Gehry Design for Brooklyn Arena

The new design for the Nets arena by Ellerbe Becket, an architectural firm based in Kansas City, Mo.

By CHARLES V. BAGLI
June 4, 2009

It’s official.

Frank Gehry is out as the architect for the Barclays Center arena, the centerpiece of the long-delayed and financially challenged Atlantic Yards development in Brooklyn, according to government officials and real estate executives who have been briefed on the plans.

The exotic, $1 billion glass-walled design by Mr. Gehry, the award-winning architect behind the Walt Disney Concert Hall in Los Angeles and the Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao, Spain, has been replaced with a less-expensive, $800 million arena.

The new design comes from Ellerbe Becket, an architectural firm based in Kansas City, Mo., that specializes in convention centers, stadiums and arenas, and designed Conseco Fieldhouse in Indianapolis, where the Indiana Pacers play. Officials who have seen the latest design for the Brooklyn arena say that while it resembles Conseco Fieldhouse, it also bears a likeness to an “airplane hangar.”

The developer of Atlantic Yards, Bruce C. Ratner, chief executive of the Forest City Ratner Companies, scrapped Mr. Gehry’s plans primarily for economic reasons. The $4 billion project has been hobbled by lawsuits, a recession and its own ambitious goal to build 6,400 apartments, 40 percent of which would be reserved for low- to middle-income families. Forest City Ratner was the development partner for the Midtown headquarters for The New York Times Company.

Mr. Ratner, who won a major court victory over opponents to Atlantic Yards last month, is racing to pare costs and start construction of the 20,000-seat arena by the end of the year, when his right to use tax-exempt financing expires. Officially, the developer says the arena is supposed to be ready in 2011 as the new home for the Nets, who will move to Brooklyn from the Meadowlands in New Jersey.

There have been rumors since December, often based on comments by Mr. Gehry, that he was no longer involved with the arena. However, Mr. Ratner, who also had Mr. Gehry design a residential skyscraper in Lower Manhattan, had so far declined to make it public. But in recent days, the developer has been circulating the new design among state and city officials as he seeks formal approval of the changes.

Mr. Gehry is still the master planner for the 22-acre development, which is at Atlantic and Flatbush Avenues. But in a concession to the collapsing commercial and residential real estate markets, the developer has delayed most of the housing and a proposed office tower. In an interview last month, Mr. Ratner said he planned to start the first residential tower, which would contain a large percentage of units for low-, moderate- and middle-income families, about six to nine months after work began on the arena.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2009, 10:18 PM
World Machine

Maybe this is for the best, I was never crazy about his design. Just didn't seem like something that would belong in Brooklyn.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2009, 10:23 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
Just didn't seem like something that would belong in Brooklyn.
Why is that? I don't see Brooklyn as forever remaining in the shadow of Manhattan. It's these type of developments that need something like a Gehry in Brooklyn.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2009, 10:30 PM
Show me the blueprints

Someone just let all the air out of me. This is one of the biggest dissapointments since... well, just the other day when we got a look at the bullshit renovated MSG.

From what you can tell from that small render, my biggest concern/aggravation, aside from a general lame architectural style is the integration with the towers in Gehry's design seems to be completely lost on this new plan.

LET DOWN!!!

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jun 4, 2009, 10:37 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
From what you can tell from that small render, my biggest concern/aggravation, aside from a general lame architectural style is the integration with the towers in Gehry's design seems to be completely lost on this new plan.
That in itself could be a plus in the plan. I didn't like the way the arena gradually got lost in the Gehry plan - I thought it should stand apart from the towers and not look hidden. The only question that remains is what the towers themselves will look like.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2009, 10:40 PM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Why is that? I don't see Brooklyn as forever remaining in the shadow of Manhattan. It's these type of developments that need something like a Gehry in Brooklyn.
To each is own when it comes to Gehry's style of architecture. Beekman Place is as far as I'll go with him, but his design for this development wasn't my cup of tea. It's not that I discourage Brooklyn from these types of projects, but the architecture of the design just didn't call out to me.

With that though in no way do I like this alternative as it is way too plain. Like Gehry's to me is too over the top, there needs to be a medium. Hopefully this new design isn't the last.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2009, 10:44 PM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
The only question that remains is what the towers themselves will look like.
My guess is nothing special.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2009, 3:35 AM

Well, at least now it will match the rest of the Atlantic Center.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2009, 5:59 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
To each is own when it comes to Gehry's style of architecture. Beekman Place is as far as I'll go with him, but his design for this development wasn't my cup of tea. It's not that I discourage Brooklyn from these types of projects, but the architecture of the design just didn't call out to me.
But your comments will leave people to believe you think Brooklyn more deserving of this:

Say what you want about Gehry, but his buildings get attention, regardless of what they're designed to house. They at least get people talking about the architecture, and its time Brooklyn got some more of that.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2009, 2:09 PM

Quote:

This is a total joke.

The extension goes on:

The team is also organizing a "lead-generating street team"--10 people who will hit transit hubs, corporate parks and other high-traffic areas, with the stated goal of increasing brand awareness on both sides of the state line. Meantime, Ratner has publicly pinpointed October as the target for having the first shovels in the ground.

http://www.forbes.com/2009/06/03/net...ts-ratner.html

Old Posted Jun 7, 2009, 10:14 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
The extension goes on:

Meantime, Ratner has publicly pinpointed October as the target for having the first shovels in the ground.
A project as complicated as this with multiple court battles is to be expected to have altered timetables. Even more complicated with major revisions to the actual design. So it's scheduled to start at some point this year. Just as long it finally gets started, then over the next few years they can focus on the surrounding developments.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2009, 10:02 PM
millard fillmore

So if Gehry is still in charge of the master plan, would he be in a more ceremonial, ineffectual role like Libeskind was with the WTC redesign? Or did they just hand over the arena for the sake of expediency to Ellerbe-Beckett and Gehry will still be doing the towers?

I'd prefer the former, though I agree with NYguy that the rest of the development shouldn't become so banal as to once again come up short against Manhattan. Brooklyn would benefit from a visible mega-development like this and it would be a shame to waste it on more Costas-Kondylis blandness.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2009, 10:19 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by samoen313 View Post
So if Gehry is still in charge of the master plan, would he be in a more ceremonial, ineffectual role like Libeskind was with the WTC redesign? Or did they just hand over the arena for the sake of expediency to Ellerbe-Beckett and Gehry will still be doing the towers?
I read somewhere that Gehry's role will be limited.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2009, 10:21 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.globest.com/news/1426_142.../179081-1.html

Quote:
Mayor Michael Bloomberg on Friday endorsed Forest City Ratner Cos.’ decision to replace architect Frank Gehry on the basketball arena that is intended as the future home of the Nets and the centerpiece of FCRC’s Atlantic Yards project. During his weekly radio show, Bloomberg said that thanks to the lower cost of the Ellerbe Becket plan for the Barclays Center Coliseum, lining up financing for the Brooklyn mega-project would be possible. "It looks like it will go ahead, which is great," he said.

While acknowledging that the Gehry design is "spectacular," Bloomberg said that developer Bruce Ratner "came to the conclusion that in this day and age, you just cannot finance something as complex to build as that stadium. They decided to part company because Ratner couldn’t afford to build if the economics didn’t work in today’s market."

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction