HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Jul 11, 2019, 10:57 PM
Tokyo and Paris fan

Montparnasse - Bienvenüe

Platform doors
The countdown clocks seem to exaggerate the waiting time at some points.

Video Link

Old Posted Jul 12, 2019, 1:53 AM

^ Cool. I like the video for showing our random everyday life.
I was born in there and wouldn't leave for my life. That's what I am, my own identity, and I'm proud of it.

Minato, did you hear of the latest joke? Subway drivers would occasionally go like (and only because they were asked for it by RATP top managers) - relax, take a look at individuals sitting or standing next to you, just say hi, how are you doing, and smile.

Bwaha, I find it funky in our so Parisian context. Lately, I've been more used to the RER than to the inner subway since I've been working (the métro's been slow, huh), but it sounds cool anyhow.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 5:15 PM

Can the Paris Metro Make Room for More Riders?

https://www.citylab.com/transportati...idalgo/601903/

Quote:

- After five years of unprecedented passenger growth, the Paris Metro system is now perilously close to full. According to data from transit authority RATP released this week by newspaper Le Parisien, the French capital’s subway saw its annual ridership leap between 2013 and 2018. Rising from 1.76 billion to 1.84 billion trips annually over the period, the system is now hosting a remarkable 217,837 extra trips every day compared to 2013. — The overcrowding issue is in many ways a success story, since the city’s flagship policy has been to discourage car use. While Paris has witnessed a steady drop in driving over several decades now, its current administration has been particularly intent on reshaping Parisian mobility habits, and can claim responsibility for some of the ridership spike.

- Paris is indeed already in the process of constructing a grand orbital Metro line, along ....with three other new lines and two extensions of existing links; the mega-project, dubbed the Grand Paris Express, is due to open in stages between 2020 and 2030. This major extension will mostly run through Paris’ vast suburbs, making it easier for residents of outer Paris to connect with each other without having to travel into Paris itself. — But the new Metro lines now under discussion would be different. Forming a backwards “C” shape, the link would be made up of two lines totaling 40 kilometers. Much of it would cleave closely to the line of the Boulevard Périphériquethe city’s automotive beltway and lie within the boundaries of Paris Proper

- It would also reach out beyond in its eastern section to connect the fast-gentrifying inner suburbs of Montreuil and Pantin. This, it is hoped, would alleviate pressure in central Paris in much the same way as the Grand Paris Express: By intersecting with the three busiest existing Metro lines, it would remove some of their habitual users and ensure that these lines reached the city center somewhat less packed than they are currently. — In the meantime, transit officials are working on cheaper, quicker means of easing congestion. Among the options: automating all trains, making trains larger, and bringing in experts from Japan (a nation that knows a few things about stuffing more people into trains) to help redesign access to platforms.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 6:47 PM
TL;DR

This map shown is the Grand Paris Express. The new proposal traces a smaller circle, pretty much following the Peripherique or the Boulevards des Marechaux. Seems redundant with the beautiful tram lines that RATP just built...

The proposed lines are here:
http://www.leparisien.fr/resizer/Mnh...KZZCAHQGQI.jpg

Last edited by ardecila; Nov 14, 2019 at 11:33 PM.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 6:54 PM

Amazing. Fantastic news for Paris.

Can anyone tell me why the U.S., a country with 10x the wealth of France, can't build anything?

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 11:36 PM
TL;DR

Well, Paris has possibly the world's most ideal geology for tunneling... soft limestone that is easy to cut, but is strong enough that it doesn't collapse during excavations.

Today, though, all tunneling is done with TBMs so geology doesn't really drive costs much. You just use a different kind of TBM.

I think France is just a country with an unusually strong pride in their public works. Not just transit - parks, public buildings, streetscapes, social housing, etc are all treated with a high level of design and unwavering commitment by politicians and the public.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 2:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
"Par les élus communistes de Paris" (by the Commies from Central Paris).
Yeah, right, only in their dreams, to serve their very local clientèle alone.
They've got a couple of seats at the Central Paris town hall because of Anne Hidalgo's nasty political deals.
I hope she gets fired by voters for the next municipal election for that crime.

That is not the approved routes of the Grand Paris Express anyway, thankfully.
Line 15 is already under construction. Don't worry, the actual route is further down south and is to actually serve the inner suburbs that badly need it. And the whole thing is mostly funded by the Paris region, thus by locals.
Minato and I posted the approved routes a couple of times above in the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I think France is just a country with an unusually strong pride in their public works. Not just transit - parks, public buildings, streetscapes, social housing, etc are all treated with a high level of design and unwavering commitment by politicians and the public.
Mouais... There's a good sense of public services and wealth over here indeed, but if only the French had the same pride for their private sector and taxpayers that basically fund everything public in this country, and supported them with all their guts, the results would be more spectacular.
Disgusting politics just makes things much harder and slower than they should be here.
That's worse than annoying, downright criminal. Hm!

Old Posted Apr 11, 2021, 6:32 PM

French lawmakers approve a ban on short domestic flights

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-c...-idUSKBN2BY0AO

Quote:

- French lawmakers voted late on Saturday to abolish domestic flights on routes than can be covered by train in under two-and-a-half hours, as the government seeks to lower carbon emissions even as the air travel industry reels from the global pandemic. The measure is part of a broader climate bill that aims to cut French carbon emissions by 40% in 2030 from 1990 levels, though activists accuse President Emmanuel Macron of watering down earlier promises in the draft legislation. The vote came days after the state said it would contribute to a 4 billion euro ($4.76 billion) recapitalisation of Air France, more than doubling its stake in the flagcarrier, to shore up its finances after over a year of COVID-19 travel curbs.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2021, 7:47 PM

Latest tram line T9 began service yesterday, connecting the southeastern edge of the Central City (Porte de Choisy) to Orly.

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ligne_...8Ele-de-France

Here's a video of day 1 (yesterday), if you're curious.

Video Link

4:52 Some kind of taste of New Orleans in Val-de-Marne, I guess.

A flaw of the line is it doesn't go down to Orly airport, due to some difficulties related to existing infrastructure configuration.
But they're working on some extension already. They want it to get to the airport.

Also, they're working on an extension of line 14 of the subway that will definitely go down to Orly airport.

We have significant transportation plans in Val-de-Marne (southeastern suburbs of Paris), with line 15 of the subway coming up.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2021, 8:11 PM
Show me the blueprints

Tres bon!

The fit and finish of the Paris T LRT lines always look so damn good. Love the wildflower trackway.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Apr 11, 2021, 9:08 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousquet View Post
4:52 Some kind of taste of New Orleans in Val-de-Marne, I guess.
I mean, it is a streetcar running in a "neutral ground".

If only New Orleans was committed to expanding its streetcar network like this.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2022, 5:48 PM

Paris reveals a new cable car for commuters that could be running by 2025

https://www.euronews.com/next/2022/0...unning-by-2025

Quote:

- The Câble 1 (C1) line will link the southeastern suburbs of Créteil and Villeneuve-Saint-Georges with the subway lines of the Paris Métro, making the 4.5 km journey in 17 minutes - less than half the time the same journey takes by bus today. Construction will begin this year, with the cable car opening to passengers in 2025, Laurent Probst, director general of regional transport authority IDFM told the Parisien newspaper. --- Paris' city planners considered three other possibilities: adding more buses in the area, building a new bridge to link to the Créteil Pointe du Lac Métro station directly, and improving transport connections to another nearby station. While Paris is nowhere near as mountainous as most other cities that rely on cable cars, such as La Paz in Bolivia, Créteil's difficult geography helped decide in the cable car's favour.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2022, 12:09 AM

That’s awesome. I wish transit in the US would be so bold as to build such modes.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2022, 5:12 AM
TL;DR

Portland has an urban tramway. Vancouver is planning to build one. In both cases they help connect the rail system to a university campus on top of a steep hill.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2022, 9:04 AM

Local transit agency RATP is trying a robot designed by Boston Dynamics for rail maintenance.

Video Link

For now, they're planning to use it as a reconnaissance tool on line A of the RER network.
Indeed, the robot can reach some spots that human operators have no safe access to, like very narrow tunnels or underground galleries.
This should help maintenance workers be safer in their daily routines.

They're also planning to use exoskeletons for workers who have to carry heavy things, or for those working on the maintenance of rail vehicles.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2023, 8:05 PM

Rail evolution in the Paris region from 1830 to 2030.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2023, 8:26 PM

This whole stuff is fairly maintained, safe and reliable in this region because the population is dense out here.

It would be fascinating to investigate the entire network that was developed 100 or more years ago throughout the entire country.

I saw some disused rail tracks in the countryside. Some are not even electrified yet.
Not in the Paris region. Elsewhere in the country.

I was like - so what? There's no train running this thing.
They answered - nope, it's been abandoned for long yet.

They keep building expressways meant for little cars in the countryside.
It's shocking how much room it would take in woods and fields.
Indeed it takes some room to develop a highway.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2023, 9:38 PM

I spent a month in Paris in October, 2021, and one of the biggest things I noticed with the transit systems in Paris was the diversity of rail options.

London has the Tube... Chicago has the L and Metra for regional rail transit.

But in Paris, I noticed:
1 - The Metro for subway transit within the city limits
2 - RER (akin to Chicago's Metra) for metro transit.
3 - Tram for..... above ground region transit?

I stayed in the Puteaux area just south of La Defense, and it took me a while to get used to the different train offerings and now to navigate them. Definitely one of the most impressive metro-wide rail offerings I've ever seen.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2023, 5:00 PM

^ The entire network of the Paris region is designed and gradually developed to be fit of the population density.

The subway serves the central city and very neighboring suburbs where density is the highest. Oldest lines stop every 200 yards. The lines currently under construction will be natively automated and stops will be slightly more remote from each other. Because people have legs to walk or bike, so they don't need a station every 200 yards.

The RER and Transilien networks serve the Paris region as a whole, far beyond the subway, including outer suburbs with your single-family home neighborhoods, your cars and your American dream.
There's a major difference between RER and Transilien.
Transilien trains get to railway terminals within Central Paris (along with trains serving the entire country) and can't go any further. That's a bad constraint.
While RER trains literally cross the central city and allow you to get pretty much anywhere in the metro area, that is much more flexible and faster in many cases.

Trams are only some lighter and cheaper rail means that try to counterbalance the lacks of the overall network. A mass transit network being a graph supposed to take you from point A to point B as fast as possible.
They are better than buses for more easily recognizable/spottable and their capacity/efficiency is greater, but they are only a cheaper substitute of real heavier rail gear (subway/métro, RER and Transilien).

For instance, the southeastern suburb I live in (Maisons-Alfort) is served by 3 subway stations of line 8, 2 RER stations of line D, soon by automated line 15 of the subway under construction and a whole bunch of bus lines that I hardly ever use. So we are not to be pitied right here because we're neighboring the central city and population is dense.
The problem is suburbs a bit further to the south are not well served yet, so we have many people crossing the town by car to get where they need to go, which is annoying.
I'll show you about something insufficient. They're building this cable car thing from Villeneuve-Saint-Georges to Créteil to provide Val-de-Marne with a bit of more transit means.

Video Link

That is really some helpless gadget over here IMO.
Frankly, I don't believe in that kind of solutions as anything effective in Paris. This is not La Paz, Bolivia. There is no mountain at all out here, but there are many more people. We're not facing the same kind of challenges.
They simply found it cheaper to do this cable stuff than to actually solve local infrastructure problems, that would cost billion euros.

Ok, people will say - oh, this is cool. We're flying.
But mass transit is something serious. It's not about entertaining people.
It's about taking them to their everyday whereabouts.
This is not Disneyland, huh.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2023, 9:55 PM
TL;DR

I think cities like Paris or Tokyo that are transit leaders in the world should experiment with new technologies especially on the urban fringes like this. There is certainly plenty of room for innovation especially if the cost is low. If it doesn't work out, then it can be replaced in the future.

My problem is with US cities that want to use gadgetbahns like Boring Company on major regional corridors even when metro, tram, RER-type systems are a better choice.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation