HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography

Old Posted Apr 21, 2007, 3:07 AM

Any HDR software?

Can someone tell me where I could find a software to produce HDR image with a couple of image with light variations. I have a Canon S2 so I can't take RAW images... Is this possible? Actually I don't know much about HDR...

Thanks in advance!

Old Posted Apr 21, 2007, 5:02 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

don't worry about not shooting raw...

ya google it.......

Old Posted Apr 21, 2007, 2:40 PM
arf

It's been on my list of things to play with, but I'm such a lazy ass for carrying equipment and setting up shots. Here's one you can try for free and plugs in to Photoshop too if you use it:

HDR Soft

I haven't tried the demo yet. I'd want to go take a couple of sets of photos to work with prior to downloading the trial.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Apr 22, 2007, 1:44 AM
low life in a tall place

I use Photomatixm which Ninjatune recommended for me. I'm pretty happy with it, but maybe there are better software out there.

I don't really like those hardcore HDR images at all. I'm more into subtle HDR, and Photomatix is a great application for that:

This image is made from three unique raw-files.

This one is made from a single raw-file.

This one is an JPG-image that I actually did some minimal work on in Photomatix. Although it's hardly noticable, and I honestly don't think it made any difference whatsoever.

By the way, I think there are some tutorials on Flickr regarding HDR images from JPG-photos (ie. non-raw). Don't expect the quality to be that phenomenal though...

Old Posted Apr 22, 2007, 9:50 PM

Yeah, Photomatix is great! Altough there are a few glitches, but it works well overall...

Here are my 2 first attempts at HDR, the first one taken from my computer desk, and the second one, less basic, 2 houses across the street...

Old Posted Apr 23, 2007, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staff View Post
By the way, I think there are some tutorials on Flickr regarding HDR images from JPG-photos (ie. non-raw). Don't expect the quality to be that phenomenal though...
Shooting JPG should still work, as long as one actually takes 2+ images at different exposure levels. The main thing lost by not shooting RAW is the ability to further adjust the exposure post-hoc.

The most important things to do when taking photos for HDR are to use a tripod (or stable flat surface) and to vary the exposure by changing the shutter speed while keeping a constant aperture (the photos won't line up properly if the aperture changes and alters the depth-of-field).

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography