HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Oct 22, 2023, 10:40 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
San Antonio's was nice, at least, the glass bridge over the river was. I don't think that section is there anymore.
https://maps.app.goo.gl/uPMzqzTSnnmQmK7Q8?g_st=ic
SATX: 1435k (+8%) + MSA suburbs: 1124k (+38%) + CSA exurbs: 18k (+11%)
ATX: 962k (+22%) + MSA suburbs: 1322k (+43%)

Old Posted Oct 23, 2023, 1:52 AM
Meh

Oh, yeah, I just couldn't remember if I'd seen it in July when I was there. They've demoed a lot of theirs. I think there's only one section left of the original convention center on the northside of the Grand Hyatt.

I took this photo from the tower that day.

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid...20446134643393

There are others south of there, but with less flair.

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid...20446134643393

Old Posted Oct 23, 2023, 3:27 AM

I like the George R. Brown Convention Center in Houston with its modern look with the red steamship funnels.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2023, 2:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul78701 View Post
The current exhibit hall is internal to the building and has no windows. When I think of the convention centers I've been in, I don't really recall any of their exhibit halls having windows or whatnot. I could be mis-remembering though.

I think we'll have to wait for the design process to proceed and see what they produce. I could see them designing it so that some of the street level space opens to below and brings in some sunlight.
yeah, its the parts that never have windows that are underground (expo halls)

and the stuff that needs windows (lobby, retail, pre-meeting space) is in upper levels.

I'm not sure I understand the problem/complaint.

The bigger potential issue as I understand it is that the exhibit hall won't be entirely clear space. The plan is for the P3 tower to be over part of the buried hall, so there will be support columns interspersed in it.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2023, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
yeah, its the parts that never have windows that are underground (expo halls)

and the stuff that needs windows (lobby, retail, pre-meeting space) is in upper levels.

I'm not sure I understand the problem/complaint.

The bigger potential issue as I understand it is that the exhibit hall won't be entirely clear space. The plan is for the P3 tower to be over part of the buried hall, so there will be support columns interspersed in it.
Correct on the exhibit hall. The existing space is columnless, which is a big value for larger exhibit footprints; the new halls will supposedly have load bearing pillars throughout, cutting down on usable space.

In re: natural light in exhibit halls -- everyone's rightly pointed out that these halls are typically without windows, and I'm not suggesting ours necessarily should be. But the prefunction space is where we should all get our vitamin D -- and our current space has plenty of it. But dropping everything below ground necessarily closes that option off.

Are these the end of the world? No absolutely not. Will the center function adequately without them? Yes. Are they unforced errors during a major reimagining of the facility? That also incidentally includes the complete teardown of the existing building? Yes, I think they are.

Incidentally, there are ways around the sunlight thing that I hope get taken advantage of. The ATT Conference Center, for instance, has a grand ballroom that's two floors underground, but has some ingenious skylights that are built to channel and multiply the outside light to make the whole place seem more connected to the upstairs. I'm sure the new designers will be smart enough to add those features in . . .

Old Posted Oct 23, 2023, 4:41 PM

San Antonio's skyline is so Brown compared to Austin's Blue building colors

Old Posted Oct 26, 2023, 1:39 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ski-man View Post
San Antonio's skyline is so Brown compared to Austin's Blue building colors
I'd rather have blue skyline than brown any day.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2023, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
I'd rather have blue skyline than brown any day.
I'd prefer a mixture. Too much blue or too much brown gets so boring.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2023, 2:32 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaven View Post
I'd prefer a mixture. Too much blue or too much brown gets so boring.
A mix of all sorts of different colors would be most exciting and at least we are slowly starting to see some variation. I still say we need some jade or forest green towers.

Maybe have the new convention center green!

Old Posted Jan 11, 2024, 2:50 AM

Old Posted Jan 11, 2024, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbannizer View Post
Weird/intriguing:

Quote:
About the event
Potential Development Opportunity next to the Austin Convention Center
Help us shape the development criteria for the Potential Redevelopment Opportunity next to the newly expanded Convention Center!

About this Event

JOIN US FOR THE IN-PERSON JANUARY 17 OPEN HOUSE!

The Austin Convention Center is seeking your feedback regarding a Potential Development Opportunity that would be located next to the newly expanded Convention Center!

Join us in-person to share your suggestions for building and site use which will help inform the final Request for Qualifications (RFQ) for a developer who will ultimately be responsible for delivering the project. Listening to our community throughout the project’s life cycle will ensure that we meet industry, market, and community needs that will enhance our city’s overall quality of life.

This interactive experience is intended to solicit the community’s feedback on the potential uses for the site. Professional staff will be on hand to give information related to the project and to discuss with our community the options being explored for this opportunity.

Your voice matters.

This won’t be your only chance to ask questions and share your comments, however, don’t miss out on this chance to participate in the early stages of this project!

There will be two presentations with the same content shared each time:

6:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.
Strange mixture of community outreach and . . . investment information session?

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 9:31 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
What's the deal with SXSW when the Austin Convention Center closes for reconstruction?
by: Grace Reader
Posted: Mar 13, 2024 / 03:36 PM CDT
Updated: Mar 13, 2024 / 04:19 PM CDT

According to Visit Austin, SXSW has confirmed that it will stay in Austin during that time period, the event would just look different. The exact details of where events will be held instead of the convention center are not yet public.
https://www.kxan.com/news/sxsw/whats...econstruction/

Old Posted Mar 16, 2024, 8:02 PM

"The city plans to close the convention center for that project after SXSW in 2025 and reopen the new building before SXSW in 2029." from the KXAN article.

But the "Official" plans have not been released yet. Correct? Any word as to when to expect the plans arrival in the public domain? Even preliminary plans.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin