HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Jan 15, 2022, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montréaliste View Post
Thanks indeed for the appreciation of Montreal and old Quebec City! I likewise have great affection for California's major cities.

Paper Moon still surprises me every time I watch it, even if the lyrics to a well known song are more or less memorized. I find that so much of cinemga is bland or overpowering, that a well told story, with the right crew, actors, design staff and directorial panache is a rare, beautiful thing to behold.
You feel the Great Depression in "Paper Moon", although the comedy softens it. I also like "The Grapes of Wrath" by Steinbeck, novel and film. No comedy there. Just hardscrabble grit and tragedy, and perseverance. A more recent film, "Cinderella Man" about fighter James Braddock is also an excellent taste of the "Dirty Thirties", and the climb out.

Maybe when this pandemic is over, like when the "Spanish" Flu pandemic faded away in 1920, we will have another "Roaring Twenties". Everybody wants to get out and LIVE again.

More topics shortly. Lots more about the '20s, but will also start in on the '30s.

Last edited by CaliNative; Jan 15, 2022 at 12:06 PM.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2022, 6:34 PM

I don't know if the 1920s were necessarily the start of the "modern" era, because as someone else mentioned, "modern" is relative.

If anything, the 1920s was when the "real flavor" of the 20th Century started, and by that, I mean the look of it, and technology. Phones, radios and cars were all commonplace by the 1920s. Social mores were also much different than in the previous generation. IMO, the 1920s were kind of like the 1960s, in that both decades are associated with a social and sexual revolution, in regards to how western women dressed and behaved, and there was that feeling that things would never return to how they were. Which is funny, because you can interpret the 1950s as being a step backwards in terms of a "woman's place," and it's even reflected in the fashions of the 1950s.

Here's a clip of Joan Crawford in a "talkie" from 1929. Her outfit was pretty much the standard by then. Can you imagine a woman from 1909, just 20 years earlier, being able to show her legs in public, and show her bare arms outside of evening wear? And dancing around like that? Scandalous!

Video Link

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jan 24, 2022, 6:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post

Thanks sopas ej for posting that about Joan Crawford. Yes, the 1920s were very liberating for women. I haven't seen this clip from 1929 before-- good find. I had some stuff on her too that I may post. One of the "flapper" stars of that era ("Flaming Youth" from 1926 one of her early roles). Louise Brooks is my personal favorite of the "flapper" stars, and she could dance up a storm (she studied modern dance & was a chorus girl/dancer in the Ziegfield Follies before her film career...video on first page, post #11).

Coco Channel in Paris made great contributions to essentially modern dress for women in the middle 1920s, with her simple and short hemline "little black dress", apparently influenced by the outfits worn by French maids. I have a video on it I've bookmarked that I may post soon. One fashion item for women I don't care for is the helmet-like cloche hat, so common in the decade. Ugly.

Last edited by CaliNative; Mar 12, 2022 at 4:01 AM.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2022, 7:01 AM

Post under construction. Subject: the 1920s women's fashion revolution of Coco Chanel. 2/8/22

Last edited by CaliNative; Feb 8, 2022 at 10:11 AM.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2022, 11:23 AM

Senator Huey Long-"Share the Wealth" speech, 1935

Shortly before his murder in 1935, populist Senator Huey P. Long of Louisiana gave a speech about his plan to share the wealth, redistributing through taxation much of the wealth of the rich to raise living standards for most Americans. Long was being talked about as a leftist challenger to FDR in the 1936 election.

The conventional wisdom on Long was that he was a dangerous "wannabe" dictator and demagogue, and towards the end of his life there may be considerable truth to that. My own view is that Long came to view political hardball as the only way to achieve his aims, helping the poor by extracting more from the richest people and corporations, who Long viewed as hogs.

After passing the bar examination on his first try (after just one year at Tulane law school--Long was a brilliant man), he became Railroad Commisioner of LA in 1918, angering corporations like Standard Oil. As Railroad Commissioner, Long got to argue as case before the U.S. Supreme Court. Chief Justice (and former President) William Howard Taft was impressed, calling Long "the most brilliant lawyer who has ever argued a case before the Supreme Court".

Long next ran and won the governorship. When he tried to raise taxes on the wealthy oil interests, they came after him and trumped up an impeachment attempt in 1929. From then on, Long "bulldozed and dynamited" his way to achieving his honest aim of improving the lot of ordinary people. His opponents were powerful, so to achieve his aims Long came to believe that the only way to achieve his aims was to use unorthodox and barely legal means to fight power with power. Long, rightly or wrongly, was an ends justifies the means guy. Long's ends was abolishing abject poverty in America. His means often sidetracked normal political routes when he felt it necessary to achieve his aims of helping the poor.

One unusual trait of Long, for a southern populist, was that he almost always avoided race baiting and pitting whites against blacks. Most black Louisianans thought well of Long, as did poor whites. Some idolized him, and did to the day they died. He brought them free schools, free textbooks, good roads, bridges, jobs, scholarships to "his" university LSU, and much more. Louisiana was perhaps the poorest state in America when Long took office, but quickly made advances as the depression worsened.

When he was elected to the U.S. Senate, he wanted to expand his efforts to all Americans, but his life was cut short. Fortunately FDR, whom I admire, embraced some of Long's ideas in the "Second New Deal" in 1935 (social security, progressive taxation on the rich, right of labor to collectively organize and strike etc.). Ken Burns early in his career made an excellent and sympathetic biography of Huey Long which I am trying to find, but apparently it is not available. I do have an audio recording of it which I may post.

Video Link

Randy Newman sings his tribute to Huey Long, "Kingfish":

Video Link

Last edited by CaliNative; Mar 13, 2022 at 12:17 AM.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2022, 5:43 AM

Some Comic Relief from "The Babe"

Ladies man Babe Ruth gives some "hands on" coaching advice to a ladies baseball team, his wife Julia watching him like a hawk:

Video Link

First half filmed in 1931 at old Wrigley Field in south Los Angeles, home of the Cub's minor league farm team the Angels. In this era, the Cubs also did their spring training on Catalina Island which Cubs owner and chewing gum magnate Bill Wrigley owned, and had a mansion overlooking Avalon. The expansion major league Angels played their first year (1961) at the same Wrigley Field. TV series "Home Run Derby" was also filmed here in the late 1950s and early 1960s. L.A.'s Wrigley Field was torn down in the late 1960s, but the one in Chicago survives and is now along with Fenway Park in Boston the oldest major league venue in baseball.

The game in the second half of the film appears to be at a park or school playing field on the west side of L.A. from the look of the Santa Monica Mountains on the horizon. Maybe someone will recognize the location from the large Fox MovieTheater and the gym or field house (?) that appears in some of the shots in the backround. Confident that one of the sleuths from the "Noirish L.A." blog can pinpoint it.

Ruth hit his famous "called shot" home run at Wrigley in Chicago in 1932, a year after this film short was made, when the Yankees and Cubs faced each other in the World Series. The Yankees won the series in 1932 mostly due to Ruth's slugging. When asked why he was paid more than President Hoover, Ruth said "I had a better year than he did". Ruth was a lifelong Democrat and backed Al Smith when he ran against Hoover in '28, and FDR when he ran against (and trounced) Hoover in '32. Ruth was a Roman Catholic, went to Mass regularly, and was an active Knights of Columbus member.

It is a pity Ruth never got a chance to manage a baseball team. He was briefly a player-coach-"vice president" of the Boston Braves after he was cut lose by the Yankees in 1935, and even more briefly a coach for the Brooklyn Dodgers later. But these executive positions were just for show and to sell more tickets, and Ruth had no real executive decision making power. As shown in the film, he had great knowledge of all aspects of baseball, and was a good teacher. But his "extracurricular activities" made the owners think that "a man who couldn't manage himself couldn't possibly manage other players". In fact, Ruth settled down after he married Julia. In a way, she was his "manager" as Ruth humorously called her in the film. Ruth died young in 1948 of throat and sinus cancer, perhaps caused by his cigar smoking. The cigar smoking, and drinking, may also have given him his distinctive gravelly voice heard in the film.

The Babe is almost universally regarded as perhaps the greatest, most talented and most rounded player in baseball history, not only because of his legendary power hitting and high batting average, but because he was a great pitcher as well. He could also steal bases, and was a capable outfielder. Ruth also loved golf, and was very good at it, playing almost at professional level. He also loved bowling, and usually averaged better than 200. Fishing and hunting were other sports he enjoyed.

Last edited by CaliNative; Feb 14, 2022 at 6:36 PM.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2022, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
Ladies man Babe Ruth gives some "hands on" coaching advice to a ladies baseball team, his wife Julia watching him like a hawk:

Video Link

First half filmed in 1931 at old Wrigley Field in south Los Angeles, home of the Cub's minor league farm team the Angels. In this era, the Cubs also did their spring training on Catalina Island which Cubs owner and chewing gum magnate Bill Wrigley owned, and had a mansion overlooking Avalon. The expansion major league Angels played their first year (1961) at the same Wrigley Field. TV series "Home Run Derby" was also filmed here in the late 1950s and early 1960s. L.A.'s Wrigley Field was torn down in the late 1960s, but the one in Chicago survives and is now along with Fenway Park in Boston the oldest major league venue in baseball.

The game in the second half of the film appears to be at a park or school playing field on the west side of L.A. from the look of the Santa Monica Mountains on the horizon. Maybe someone will recognize the location from the large Fox MovieTheater and the gym or field house (?) that appears in some of the shots in the backround. Confident that one of the sleuths from the "Noirish L.A." blog can pinpoint it.

Ruth hit his famous "called shot" home run at Wrigley in Chicago in 1932, a year after this film short was made, when the Yankees and Cubs faced each other in the World Series. The Yankees won the series in 1932 mostly due to Ruth's slugging. When asked why he was paid more than President Hoover, Ruth said "I had a better year than he did". Ruth was a lifelong Democrat and backed Al Smith when he ran against Hoover in '28, and FDR when he ran against (and trounced) Hoover in '32.
Sexy gals

Old Posted Feb 9, 2022, 1:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan31 View Post
Sexy gals
Yes, they are. Probably starlets at Universal. Doubt they were a real baseball team. The Babe was such an energetic fun loving guy, a real character. We need another Babe. Ohtani is a two way player, good hitter and pitcher, but he seems to have a low key personality very unlike the Babe. Do you recognize where the game in the second half was filmed? Definitely somewhere on westside of L.A.

Last edited by CaliNative; Feb 11, 2022 at 7:26 AM.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2022, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Yes, they are. Probably starlets at Universal. Doubt they were a real baseball team. The Babe was such an energetic fun loving guy, a real character. We need another Babe. Ohtani is a two way player, good hitter and pitcher, but he seems to have a low key personality not like the Babe. Do you recognize where the game in the second half was filmed? Definitely somewhere on westside of L.A.
Agreed, he's even fun to watch.

Looks like LA, but I can't be certain, I'm from the East Coast.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2022, 2:38 PM

The hat business was booming in the 20s

Old Posted Feb 10, 2022, 9:13 AM

Quote:
Agreed, he's even fun to watch.

Looks like LA, but I can't be certain, I'm from the East Coast.
Definitely west L.A. area. Santa Monica Mountains ("Hollywood Hills") in distance. Plus they filmed the first half at L.A. Wrigley Field where the minor league Angels played. They were the Cubs PCL farm team.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2022, 9:17 AM

Quote:
The hat business was booming in the 20s
Most women and men wore hats back then. People seemed to dress better, care how they looked. At the top of the photo: "Rooms with bath $2.50". Dollar went farther back then, but an average wage was less than $50 a week, some jobs only $25, even less. You could rent cheap studio apartments for $25 a month in most cities. Complete dinners at "Chinaland" (right side of photo) for 55 cents, "luncheon 35 cents", " prices reduced". Guessing this photo is early depression, before it got really bad, maybe 1930 (most likely) or 1931, judging from the cars and the women's hats, most of which are not the helmet-like cloche that typify the '20s, but the smaller beret-like hats of the early 1930s. About the same time our Ruth short was filmed. Might be 1929, doubt it is earlier. On the right there is a sign on a building that appears to say "Disney". Interesting. Is this L.A., or an eastern city? Probably eastern, judging from the heavy overcoats. NYC? Broadway? 42nd St.? A couple of signs advertising "theatre tickets", so I would guess near Broadway if it is NYC. Also, one of the brightly lit signs on the left says "automat", which were more common eating establishments in New York. Right beyond a brightly lit sign that appears to say " Strand"...wasn't that a Broadway theater? Another sign says "Astor". NYC again. Automat: put a dime in a compartment, take out a sandwich or a pie slice. Very modern in 1930, their version of fast food. Look at the crowds! Something is going on. New Years? A premier? Wild guess...the premier of the film "42nd Street" on 42nd Street? Very interesting photo. Thanks for posting pic Stan!

Last edited by CaliNative; Feb 11, 2022 at 6:27 AM.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2022, 10:47 AM

Another Babe Ruth Talking Short

In these grim times of war and danger in Europe, before we get back to serious things, we need another Babe Ruth talking short. The Babe will make you laugh and feel good. The last one above showed him coaching a female baseball team. Yes, Babe loved women. The Babe was also a hero to kids and he liked to be around them. The Babe was a big kid. He really did stop to observe stickball games, and give advice. He did help kids who needed medical procedures, and visited them in the hospital. He did promise to hit home runs for them if they got better. The Johnny Sylvester story, seen in "Pride of the Yankees", actually happened. Here is a Universal/Christy Walsh short from 1932, "Slide Babe, Slide":

Video Link

Last edited by CaliNative; Mar 5, 2022 at 10:09 AM.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2022, 10:52 AM

"Silent Cal"

Vice President Calvin Coolidge rose to the presidency in 1923 when Warren G. Harding suddenly died of a stroke on his way back from visiting Alaska. Vermont-born Massachusetts Governor Coolidge caught the nation's eye when he ended the Boston Police strike in 1919, proclaiming "there is no right to strike against the public safety, anywhere, anytime" and was picked in 1920 to be Harding's running mate.

Coolidge became, more than scandal-plagued Harding, the presidential face of the 1920s. Coolidge never visited a speakeasy or danced the Charleston as far as we know. He was a quiet man and usually dour and unsmiling, especially after his son Cal Jr. died in 1924. When asked why he spoke so little, Coolidge said "I never got in trouble for something I didn't say". When a lady seated next to him at a dinner party told him she had bet a friend she could get him to say more than two words, Coolidge sourly said "you lose". When asked why he accepted dinner invitations even while not participating in the banter, he said "have to eat somewhere". The fun in being President may have also ended when his son Cal Jr. died in 1924, after a foot blister he got playing tennis got infected, giving him septicemia. In 1931, when informed that Coolidge had died, wit Dorothy Parker asked at the Algonquin Roundtable (see page 2) "how could they tell?".

But Coolidge typified the popular opinion that government should not meddle with business, and cut taxes. "The business of America is business" proclaimed Coolidge. When some of our WW1 allies, France especially, called for us to give them relief from their war debts, Coolidge said no, saying "they hired the money, didn't they?" The public approved, and gave him a second term in 1924.

He choose not to run in 1928, confiding to a friend that he was tired, still sad over the loss of his son, also didn't want to exceed George Washington's two terms, and he also thought a depression was coming. So, whatever his faults, he had a Yankee shrewdness. He let his Commerce Sec. Herbert Hoover run in 1928 instead. Coolidge didn't like the stiff and somewhat pompous Hoover, derisively calling him "Wonder Boy", telling an associate that Hoover often gave him unsolicited advice, "all of it bad".

Here is a short speech Coolidge read in his twangy and somewhat pinched Yankee voice, giving his view on a limited role for government in economic matters, and for lower government spending and lower taxes. The film short, taken on the White House lawn in August 1924 during the re-election campaign using the new De Forest sound on film (phonofilm) process , was the first sound film made of any President. "Silent Cal" speaks!:

Video Link

Here is a very good bio of Calvin Coolidge, about 30 minutes. Very good about the great impact of the loss of his son Calvin Jr. in 1924 on his Presidency, and his engagement and enjoyment of his high office. Perhaps Coolidge smiled so little because he was depressed, just going through the motions. Coolidge himself said in his autobiography that when his son died, "the power and the glory of the presidency went with him". Coolidge's wife Grace later told her surviving son John that his father "was never quite the same after Cal died". Calvin Coolidge died of a heart attack in 1931, barely 2 years after leaving office. Shortly before he died, Coolidge told a friend that he "no longer felt part of these times", as the Great Depression erased Coolidge Prosperity (as he earlier predicted it might when he choose not to run in 1928). The film has interviews with Coolidge's other son John:

Video Link

Last edited by CaliNative; Mar 30, 2022 at 9:23 AM.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2022, 1:40 PM
video et taceo

What a great thread. Thanks for putting in the effort to find all these videos; they really bring the era to life. I can tell this is a passion of yours. Really fantastic stuff.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2022, 4:33 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:

Maybe when this pandemic is over, like when the "Spanish" Flu pandemic faded away in 1920, we will have another "Roaring Twenties". Everybody wants to get out and LIVE again.

but first, to kick it off ... let's have a parade ... with sound

Early sound footage of Downtown Cleveland in the late 1920s. The city was the sixth largest in the US at the time, with a population of over 900,000 and a foreign born population of 25%.

The film shows the large parade held on Euclid Avenue in honor of the first National Air Race held in Cleveland, August 24, 1929.

In this clip, you can see shots of the large arch of the Williamson Building, which has since been demolished (the 200 Public Square skyscraper now stands in its place). The Chamber of Commerce Building (demolished in 1955) is also visible from Public Square.

The newly-completed Terminal Tower, which would be officially dedicated one year later, is not shown in this film, but it loomed large just behind the camera.

This footage is from the Moving Image Research Collections at the University of South Carolina (https://mirc.sc.edu/):

https://youtu.be/Er4Cy5YzS2E

Old Posted Mar 12, 2022, 3:05 AM

[QUOTE=mrnyc;9563920]but first, to kick it off ... let's have a parade

Excellent! The Terminal Tower is one of my favorite skyscrapers from that era. For many years, until the 1960s I recall, it was the tallest building outside of NYC.

Last edited by CaliNative; Mar 12, 2022 at 4:07 PM.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2022, 3:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
What a great thread. Thanks for putting in the effort to find all these videos; they really bring the era to life. I can tell this is a passion of yours. Really fantastic stuff.
Thank you! I hope others enjoy it as well. I post all this to bring the period alive. The Babe Ruth vids are great...what energy he had. Also go back to page one and watch the Rhapsody in Blue Technicolor video from 1929/1930 with Gershwin at the piano!
+++
Folks, since the awful events in Europe, I've noticed some of vids are slower to load, or buffer. When they buffer, just use the wand to move them ahead a bit. Internet traffic must be very heavy at times.

Last edited by CaliNative; Mar 12, 2022 at 4:09 PM.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2022, 11:55 AM

The Invasion of Poland in Color, Sept.1939

Given current events in Europe, specifically the brutal invasion of Ukraine by Russia, I thought I would temporarily jump ahead to the end of the time period for this blog (1920-1939), with the German Invasion of Poland that started World War 2. Hopefully the current situation will not start World War 3, unthinkable in a world with thousands of nuclear weapons. Fortunately for the Ukrainians and all of us, the Russian invasion appears so far to be less a well oiled machine like the German blitzkrieg, and has bogged down in many places, plagued by poor planning and logistics and effective and brave Ukrainian resistance. It is also important to recall that the Russians were participants in the Polish invasion, since the Germans and Russians had signed a non-aggression pact shortly before. As German troops seized the west of Poland, Soviet troops took the east.

The whole scheme of Putin appears to be half baked. The only similarity between the successful Nazi invasion of Poland and the plodding Russian invasion of Ukraine are the false pretexts that launched them. The Germans cited a Polish attack on a German radio station on the border, actually carried out by Germans dressed in Polish Army unifirms. The Russians said their action was done to "De-Nazify" the Ukraine, ironic given that the Ukrainian leader is Jewish. So, cynical lies are the common link. The Russian tanks and armored vehicles have been hit hard by anti-tank weapons, and they have turned to brutal artillery and bombing attacks on cities. This will not be easy for the Russians, and they may indeed fail. Let us hope so. I want to see Russia and Ukraine ultimately return to the path of peaceful progress and happiness. Hopefully this is a tragic but temporary diversion, not the start of WW3.

Video Link

Last edited by CaliNative; Apr 3, 2022 at 8:34 PM.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2022, 9:54 AM

How the Equitable Building Changed the Manhattan Skyline

The Equitable Building in lower Manhattan is a gigantic H-shaped 40 story skyscraper constructed in 1915, that rose straight up from the sidewalk, casting a dark shadow all around. Although it was built before my blog era (1920-1940), this skyscraper provoked such a reaction that it led directly to the 1916 "setback" zoning regulation that impacted the development of the skyline in the 1920s building boom, and right up to the current era. Skyscrapers under this regulation could no longer rise to their final height from the sidewalk, but could gain height if set back as they rose, according to a strict formula. Later modifications allowed for buildings to rise higher without setbacks or "steps" if they were placed in plazas at street level. Hence the rectangular box skyscrapers. Other cities also implemented similar zoning laws. The purchase and transfer of unused development rights from neighboring parcels has in some cases blunted the height limits and zoning laws in recent years, as has the development of "skinny towers" that have recently risen to clouds piercing heights. Here is a good short video on the subject:

Video Link

Last edited by CaliNative; Apr 3, 2022 at 8:39 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos