HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Apr 7, 2017, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaBass View Post
Photos from
The Park at Wrigley, looking somewhat like it will when the Cubs are playing at home. Only people with game tickets can be here during games
So they put the Cubs Store, the one that had been a temporary structure across from the marquee for a few years, within the plaza that can only be accessed by ticket holders on game days? Is it open to the public on non-game days?

Old Posted Apr 7, 2017, 6:48 PM

That's still the dumbest rule. Hopefully Rahm is pressured to change it

Old Posted Apr 7, 2017, 7:13 PM

The Cubs store is outside the restricted plaza area, which will only be restricted on game days (still stupid). You will also be able to get to the Starbucks Reserve (not shown in the picture) all the time. I was in the Starbucks yesterday and they are going to have their own seating area on the terrace that does not appear to be restricted. No booze, but lots of caffeine. Expensive caffeine.

Guys, the change at the park is remarkable. Two big parking lots - gone. Poof! The way the stadium, office building, and hotel shape the "Park at Wrigley" is wonderful! The office building is a little eh..., but not awful. Excited to see how the Zachary turns out.

The stadium itself looks amazing. And still two more off season building cycles to go!

Old Posted Apr 7, 2017, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodrow View Post
The Cubs store is outside the restricted plaza area, which will only be restricted on game days (still stupid). You will also be able to get to the Starbucks Reserve (not shown in the picture) all the time. I was in the Starbucks yesterday and they are going to have their own seating area on the terrace that does not appear to be restricted. No booze, but lots of caffeine. Expensive caffeine.

Guys, the change at the park is remarkable. Two big parking lots - gone. Poof! The way the stadium, office building, and hotel shape the "Park at Wrigley" is wonderful! The office building is a little eh..., but not awful. Excited to see how the Zachary turns out.

The stadium itself looks amazing. And still two more off season building cycles to go!

I was worried going into this but your right it turned out very nice and not too overdone.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2017, 7:35 PM

Whereabouts is the park in relation to the ballpark ?

Old Posted Apr 7, 2017, 7:48 PM

^^Think of it as more of a plaza. It is immediately next to the stadium, on the west side, on Clark St. - https://t.co/69t9QrWpp8 in the pic, the plaza is just right of the stadium. Don't forget to enlarge the image.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2017, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
That's still the dumbest rule. Hopefully Rahm is pressured to change it

Well if the Cubs want to sell beer/wine in open containers then it's necessary. That's why there's a restriction on the plaza.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2017, 8:19 PM

^^That is one interpretation. The other is that Tom Tunney sided with local bar owners, who are worried about the competition from the Cubs offering a HUGE outside TV with beer.

The restriction does not stop them from selling beer in the plaza. It restricts them from selling it to non ticket holders.

I saw them deliver what I believe to be the plaza bars last night. Very nice. Shipping containers painted a very dark greenbrownblack which open up on one side, creating a nice awning over the bar. The back interior wall is distressed wood. Industrial lights (probably edison bulbs). They will look nice on the plaza.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2017, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodrow View Post
^^That is one interpretation. The other is that Tom Tunney sided with local bar owners, who are worried about the competition from the Cubs offering a HUGE outside TV with beer.

The restriction does not stop them from selling beer in the plaza. It restricts them from selling it to non ticket holders.

The "Tunney is in the pocket of local bar owners" is just sour grapes on the part of wealthy individuals who can't control a local politician. That Tunney is supposedly in bed with the bar owners would be news to the bar owners.

Liquor sales in an unenclosed public space was always going to be a problem. If they had any other concession plan for the plaza the issue of access would never have been a problem. Compounding the problem is the size of the license they were seeking, about 6,000 persons, when the (currently) largest outdoor space with a liquor license seats 220. The location of the restrooms inside the stadium also creates potential issues (especially in light of recent security concerns).

Old Posted Apr 8, 2017, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK47 View Post
The "Tunney is in the pocket of local bar owners" is just sour grapes on the part of wealthy individuals who can't control a local politician. That Tunney is supposedly in bed with the bar owners would be news to the bar owners.

Liquor sales in an unenclosed public space was always going to be a problem. If they had any other concession plan for the plaza the issue of access would never have been a problem. Compounding the problem is the size of the license they were seeking, about 6,000 persons, when the (currently) largest outdoor space with a liquor license seats 220. The location of the restrooms inside the stadium also creates potential issues (especially in light of recent security concerns).

To be clear, I did not say, nor do I believe, that Ald. Tunney is "is in the pocket of local bar owners." I think he's done a fairly good job balancing the needs and wants of his different constituent groups. On the issue of beer and wine sales in the plaza, I think he is wrong. I think a 3 year moratorium is onerous on the Cubs and Hickory Street Capital. What about a cap of 220 seats? Or a 1 year moratorium? I feel confident that the Ricketts can handle crowd, bathroom, and security issues. It's in their best interests. Basically, I want to go there and have a beer.

Also, the clocks are up and running. Looking at them right now. I like them, but they need to roof (screen?) the top as the sunlght and shadows makes it difficult at times to read the time. Curious about what they'll look like tonight. The tower is softly lit from within.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2017, 9:41 PM

Cubs Productions released a few videos on concourse enhancements, American Airlines 1914 Club (2018) and bullpen relocation

Clock is up on the plaza building h/t Keith Conrad

Under Armour bullpen glass doors h/t Cubs Also: Nuveen sign appears to be replaced with lowercase lettering

Site of Trophy Room in the plaza h/t Paul Sullivan

Last edited by MegaBass; Apr 10, 2017 at 3:20 AM.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2017, 1:44 PM

From the Wrigley Earthcam (http://www.earthcam.com/usa/illinois...rigleyfield_hd) it looks like the metal detectors are tucked in much closer to the gates now. Looks much more thought out.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2017, 2:18 PM
You had me at herro...

I live right around the corner, and I have to say that walking around it Saturday, I was.....giddy. I'll try to upload my pictures, but this turned out SO much better than I thought it would. The plaza and grassy area blend right into the stadium, it looks like a class act, very subtle, not overdone. There are moveable gates to block off the plaza area, but they aren't very tall or intrusive, you can still get all around the new office building, some sections of the plaza and it all wraps together with nicely mosaicked brickwork which flows around the entire stadium in total.

The office building doesn't look nearly as bad as I thought, in fact with the black glass and sleek cladding it actually looks pretty slick. Not 1990's suburban strip mall which is what I feared.

On the stadium itself they spent so much time on subtle details and making it seem like such a cozy and small town stadium almost, gone are the cement panels and floor to ceiling fencing for the most part. To me the stadium itself seems much much....smaller....than it used to. It's actually in a good way, it's more human scale. Very inviting for you to go right up to the stadium itself and interact.

I have to say I'm very excited, and I actually think with the new hotel it's going to blend into the plaza and Wrigley very well. I really hope they give Clark a "road diet" and have just two lanes of traffic as they did on Waveland, it would give this so much more of a funky, cozy, classy feel with Clark not being so huge slicing through. Of course I know it's a main road though with lots of bus traffic...

Old Posted Apr 10, 2017, 4:19 PM

^^Ditto to everything you wrote. It is nice. Really, really nice. On Saturday, I bought a Starbucks Reserve coffee and sat with my hubby and pups at the coffee house's outside seating, and enjoyed the view and atmosphere. Nice little town square

The reason the office building works is because it is slick glass AND brick AND metal framing. The way it curves is great, and the mutiple terraces and setbacks help. Also - the CLOCK IS TERRIFIC, especially when it is lit at night. I can see it from my apartment and it just is so cool. The tavern that is opening in the office building this June will be called Brickhouse and I am looking forward to trying it.

I am hopeful the cladding on Zachary is good; the mass of the building is wonderful. The way it creates a wall on the west side of this space is terrific. Best place to stand to look at the hotel is right by the Starbucks. It looks long and sleek, like an ocean liner. Even with the two additional stories, it is going to read beautifully, elegantly, horizontal. And 5 (FIVE) restaurants!

The ballpark is a revelation. I cannot believe what a nice job they did. Like Mayor says, the details are subtle, just terrific. Excited to see how the upper level concourses look when they build them.

Call me bougie, but I am excited about the changes. As someone who lives in the shadow of the park, I could not be more thrilled.

Giddy is the perfect word.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2017, 5:53 PM

My reaction is +1 to what you both have said.

The columns are starting to rise at the Addison/Clark building. Excited about the sense of urban enclosure. Still not sure about the design nor the details on that one.

Still what was once a car wash, donut hut and suburban McDonald's is turning out nicely.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2017, 9:23 PM

Motorola Trophy Room h/t Danny Ecker

New bullpen mounds h/t Buster Olney

The view the Cubs' relievers will have from inside the pen

Part of why Park at Wrigley is limited, liquor sales thanks to Ald. Tunney. h/t Danny Ecker

Thinking out loud, wondering if they'll relocate Williams and Santo statue next offseason to Park at Wrigley in order to make way for two-story retail and entertainment addition at Addison and Sheffield. Hence by third base/left field side h/t Carrie Muskat

Old Posted Apr 23, 2017, 5:57 PM
THAT Guy

Box Office Tickets - potential redevelopment on Addison

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 10:56 PM
The City

So the Luiz Auto repair or whatever is finally going?

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 5:36 PM
You had me at herro...

WTF, they were probably offered a mint to get out of there a year ago so that land could be incorporated into the massive development enveloping the property. Why sell out now?

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 7:42 PM
tilted & shifted

^It looks like Sports World, another holdout, is staying put. The owner must not be willing to give up that kind of proximity to Wrigley.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development