HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted May 28, 2021, 1:38 PM
Pay it Forward

Masks is still prevalent around here, I'd say at least 90% of people on the street wear them and 100% of people Ive seen entering stores are masked up.

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."-Robert Frost

Old Posted May 28, 2021, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimondpark View Post
Masks is still prevalent around here, I'd say at least 90% of people on the street wear them and 100% of people Ive seen entering stores are masked up.
Here, inside stores we have gone from 100% masked to maybe 95% masked.

Old Posted May 28, 2021, 5:00 PM
Resu Deretsiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave8721 View Post
Here, inside stores we have gone from 100% masked to maybe 95% masked.
Florida? We were told it's some sort of maskless wonderland!
I'm rural so I just...don't have to really wear my mask and don't have much opportunities to do so. Even a the peak of mask wearing, I only had it on maybe one or two days a week.

Old Posted May 28, 2021, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimondpark View Post
In the last week or so I’ve noticed that changing. In SF I see a lot more maskless faces outside now and I’m no longer self-conscious not wearing a mask. In stores it’s still mask-up for entry though.

Old Posted May 28, 2021, 5:09 PM

Quote:
The City’s Back, and You No Longer Have It to Yourself
By Charles Passy
May 28, 2021 10:15 am ET

During New York City’s lockdown, Richard Gowan, a 42-year-old resident of Brooklyn, N.Y., took solace in the fact that the streets were blissfully quiet. “You felt like you could hear the birds singing,” he recalls.

When he was recently on a bus stuck in a traffic jam, he realized those days are gone. Even the 7-year-old New Yorker next to him knew it. “New York is coming back to New York,” his daughter, Ivy Barrette-Gowan, remarked.

New York City, like most of America, is reopening. That means a joyous release from seclusion back into public spaces—and all the crowds, noise and annoyances that come with the return. For big city residents—especially those who stayed put when many of their neighbors left for more space—that means readjusting to sharing spaces that once felt almost private . . . .
https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-cit...hp_featst_pos5

Old Posted May 28, 2021, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
IDK if its a Covid thing, but did anybody get their federal tax refund yet? I only got my state tax refund but IDK where the F my federal one is. I hope the clowns in the tax office aren't busy working from home watching the hub.
I don’t get no stinking tax refund. In the unlikely event I’ve paid more than I owe, I let them apply it to next year’s estimated payments. But you can check your account with the IRS online now to see if they’ve processed your return or mailed your refund or received payments and the last I checked they still hadn’t processed my 2020 return about 6 weeks after I mailed it (have to mail it on paper because have to file a form tax software doesn’t support).

Old Posted May 28, 2021, 5:39 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
IDK if its a Covid thing, but did anybody get their federal tax refund yet? I only got my state tax refund but IDK where the F my federal one is. I hope the clowns in the tax office aren't busy working from home watching the hub.
I got a letter saying that they're reviewing it. I never got the first and second EIP payments (I got the third just fine!) so I included them in my refund, which I'm guessing they need to check.

Old Posted May 28, 2021, 5:53 PM
Pay it Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
In the last week or so I’ve noticed that changing. In SF I see a lot more maskless faces outside now and I’m no longer self-conscious not wearing a mask. In stores it’s still mask-up for entry though.
Yeah maybe because the area I shop in is near 2 big hospitals, but most people, just about everyone in fact, is masked up----I am much more confident tho about going out maskless tho, since vaccination rates are high here.

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."-Robert Frost

Old Posted May 28, 2021, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
I got a letter saying that they're reviewing it. I never got the first and second EIP payments (I got the third just fine!) so I included them in my refund, which I'm guessing they need to check.
I got the third EIP because I get a VA Disability check but I'm not entitled to it based on income so I sent it back. As I understand it, these are advance tax refunds and if I had kept it I would have owed the additional $1400 in taxes next year. The IRS credited it as an estimated payment--I guess that balances out to zero (it's getting confusing).

Old Posted May 28, 2021, 6:07 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
I got the third EIP because I get a VA Disability check but I'm not entitled to it based on income so I sent it back. As I understand it, these are advance tax refunds and if I had kept it I would have owed the additional $1400 in taxes next year. The IRS credited it as an estimated payment--I guess that balances out to zero (it's getting confusing).
yeah, my wife and I qualified for all 3 EIPs but only got the third one somehow (despite tons of calling the IRS and playing phone tag until the call dropped on their side or they had technical difficulties and then me starting on hold for hours again).

Old Posted May 29, 2021, 4:49 AM

My mask is flat as shit from staying in my pocket all day. I leave for work super early, so I don't even bother wearing my mask in my building. The suburban gas station I go into some mornings doesn't require masks. My work (city government) doesn't require mask. So my mask sits in my pocket doing nothing.

I do wonder when my building will make an announcement about masks. I've noticed a FEW people not wearing them, but not many. I know they are super scared to relax restrictions, because you KNOW there will be a few people freaking out (this one lady has left the elevator twice with me and my gf in it because more than *three* people came in the elevator when the "scientifically founded" number of three is what is "allowed" by our building lol

Old Posted May 29, 2021, 4:58 AM

Quote:
I didn't get my Federal refund until November or December last year. It took so long that the government paid me interest! I didn't know that was even possible.

Old Posted May 29, 2021, 6:13 AM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
I have never cared what the CDC said. The CDC has been so wrong, inconsistent and illogical about so much to do with covid that I consider them unreliable. Among their first mistakes was lying about the usefuness of masks, telling the public they weren’t useful, the stupidity of which was made obvious by the fact that every medical professional in every ER everywhere was wearing one.

As of now, it is still true that 56.5% of the people you will meet randomly in Texas has not been vaccinated. If you have been, you have a huge degree of protection but not 100%. The odds are overwhelming you will be protected. But you have to really hate that mask to be unwilling to slap it on your face for a few minutes in a crowded store to add just that little bit of additional protection.
I'm vaccinated. I don't see the need to wear it any longer unless a business requires them and almost no one does around here anymore. Yeah, there's a small chance I can still get covid but the vaccine lessens the severity so it stays in my pocket.

Old Posted May 29, 2021, 1:51 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
i filed early and didnt get my refund until may.

Old Posted May 29, 2021, 6:18 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
My mask is flat as shit from staying in my pocket all day. I leave for work super early, so I don't even bother wearing my mask in my building. The suburban gas station I go into some mornings doesn't require masks. My work (city government) doesn't require mask. So my mask sits in my pocket doing nothing.

I do wonder when my building will make an announcement about masks. I've noticed a FEW people not wearing them, but not many. I know they are super scared to relax restrictions, because you KNOW there will be a few people freaking out (this one lady has left the elevator twice with me and my gf in it because more than *three* people came in the elevator when the "scientifically founded" number of three is what is "allowed" by our building lol
my Building's HOA Board said that they're waiting for other buildings to act before doing anything.

Old Posted May 29, 2021, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
my Building's HOA Board said that they're waiting for other buildings to act before doing anything.
In SF the Health Department hasn’t lifted the mask requirement so my building’s HOA hasn’t changed its policies yet. I’m frankly glad. I’m not psychologically ready to share an elevator with an unmasked person (who could be another resident, guest, tradesman, delivery person . . . Anybody) I probably don’t know. The hallways and other common spaces are a different story—You rarely encounter anyone there except a quick passing and that’s OK.

Old Posted May 29, 2021, 7:16 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
In SF the Health Department hasn’t lifted the mask requirement so my building’s HOA hasn’t changed its policies yet. I’m frankly glad. I’m not psychologically ready to share an elevator with an unmasked person (who could be another resident, guest, tradesman, delivery person . . . Anybody) I probably don’t know. The hallways and other common spaces are a different story—You rarely encounter anyone there except a quick passing and that’s OK.
My building only allows one party per elevator, though I guess that would be likely be rescinded at the same time. (We have 3 elevators for 15 residential floors/ 90 units, so it works out fine as long as someone isn't locking one for a delivery or moving).

Old Posted May 29, 2021, 7:25 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Not sure who those 2% of students are, but if they are not graduating this spring, they won't be welcomed back in the fall...

I also suspect many of the "planning but not scheduled" people might be stuck abroad or something.

Old Posted May 29, 2021, 11:42 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

And here's a good article by Pete Saunders, who is usually right:

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/opin...ill-big-cities
Quote:

Remote work won't kill big cities

Suburbs and small towns may have newfound advantages, but they still lack the energy and amenities that draw people to big cities.

With Covid-19 cases trending downward across the U.S., it’s getting easier to say the worst of the pandemic is behind us. Meanwhile, predictions that the pandemic will change our way of living forever are getting louder.

Not surprisingly, many prognosticators see big cities such as New York and San Francisco declining, as urbanites tired of being cooped up in their tiny apartments decamp for the space and greenery of the suburbs or small towns. Others insist metropolises are poised to bounce back after a temporary exodus of workers.

I find the optimists more convincing. There will be — there are already — short-term impacts to urban growth. But the pandemic is unlikely to lead to a new and permanent advantage favoring suburbia, or the single-family home, or small or midsized cities.

Old Posted May 29, 2021, 11:44 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Glad I live in a SFH.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions