HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 13, 2023, 5:01 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubberMiley View Post
Wasn't that the site of the Orientique store that burned down in the 1980s? I think the only thing that got demolished was a bench in an empty lot.
There was a one storey annex attached to the west side of Boyd. You can see it in the Apr 2020 view on Google Earth.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Apr 13, 2023, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I think the issue with the Boyd Building isn't with the downtown office or rental climate but more with sketchy ownership. These are the guys that put an electronic billboard on their building without a permit (had to remove it), demolished the building next to it with the promise of a parkade and then tried to make it a surface lot (not allowed) - then parked a crane on it for a year.
My dentist was in the Boyd and they kicked him out, and were told they were doing condo conversion. There were paying tenants in the building and it’s been sitting empty for years. So odd.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2023, 10:35 PM

If it's still owned by Armik Babakhanians/Caspian Construction, nothing good will ever come of the Boyd Building.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2023, 10:50 PM

The city needs to start taking a hard “use-it-or-lose-it” attitude towards downtown buildings and their tax and penalty structure to start forcing owners to act in cases like these. Like radical level of aggressive.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2023, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinCitySparky View Post
The city needs to start taking a hard “use-it-or-lose-it” attitude towards downtown buildings and their tax and penalty structure to start forcing owners to act in cases like these. Like radical level of aggressive.
It’s challenging to lease even well managed and maintained buildings downtown.

I would suggest a carrot not a stick…

While they are maybe three or four difficult buildings that we speak about, I can think of thirty or forty very nice properties begging for a tenant.

Instead of constantly talking about draconian and drastic taxation actions against property owners, perhaps legislate all government offices civic, provincial and federal be mandated to lease in the downtown core.

This would have a drastic impact on the commercial space down town and also bring more workers to our retail and food establishments.

There are very few other takers right now.

Last edited by Labroco; Apr 14, 2023 at 6:33 AM.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2023, 12:51 AM

Honestly anything beyond the nothing would be helpful

Old Posted Apr 14, 2023, 6:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleb View Post
If it's still owned by Armik Babakhanians/Caspian Construction, nothing good will ever come of the Boyd Building.
Are we to expect another situation like the rotting St Charles hotel? That shyster is so transparent.
If The Boyd is not used, restored, it will rot & we will lose it.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2023, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labroco View Post
It’s challenging to lease even well managed and maintained buildings downtown.

I would suggest a carrot not a stick

While they are maybe three or four difficult buildings that we speak about, I can think of thirty or forty very nice properties begging for a tenant.

Instead of constantly talking about draconian and drastic taxation actions against property owners, perhaps legislate all government offices civic, provincial and federal be mandated to lease in the downtown core.

This would have a drastic impact on the commercial space down town and also bring more workers to our retail and food establishments.

There are very few other takers right now.
Using legislation to force offices, by law, to locate where you want them to is a carrot?

Old Posted Apr 14, 2023, 2:42 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardTH View Post
Using legislation to force offices, by law, to locate where you want them to is a carrot?
It's the government, so you could just call it an operational decision. If all levels of government want to support urbanity, then that should be a no-brainer.

For private enterprise, that would certainly be a stick. I'd look at special tax incentives, that usually gets em goin.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Apr 14, 2023, 2:48 PM

Governments generally have taken a 'downtown first' approach in recent years. Not exclusively so, but when it makes sense. That's how Manitoba Hydro Place came to be. I can think of other government entities that have moved downtown over the last 25 years too.

I think it's fair to say that all three levels of government are doing their part in that regard.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2023, 3:50 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Governments generally have taken a 'downtown first' approach in recent years. Not exclusively so, but when it makes sense. That's how Manitoba Hydro Place came to be. I can think of other government entities that have moved downtown over the last 25 years too.

I think it's fair to say that all three levels of government are doing their part in that regard.
The one exception was when instead of going downtown, liquor and lotteries moved to Polo Park instead. Unfortunate.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Apr 14, 2023, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
It's the government, so you could just call it an operational decision. If all levels of government want to support urbanity, then that should be a no-brainer.

For private enterprise, that would certainly be a stick. I'd look at special tax incentives, that usually gets em goin.
Just kinda sounds to me like Labroco wants the "stick" for government offices and the "carrot" for building/property owners. Sorry but more handouts and corporate welfare for wealthy building owners is a no for me dawg.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2023, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
The one exception was when instead of going downtown, liquor and lotteries moved to Polo Park instead. Unfortunate.
Recalling federally ...bad decisions.... Revenue Canada @ 66 Stapon Road in Transcona and RCMP Detachment D on 1091 Portage Ave..Both of those could have been 15 - 20+ floor towers downtown easily. Several thousands there not to mention The Provincial inept decision for Liquor and Lotteries near P Park.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2023, 9:29 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKGUY View Post
Recalling federally ...bad decisions.... Revenue Canada @ 66 Stapon Road in Transcona and RCMP Detachment D on 1091 Portage Ave..Both of those could have been 15 - 20+ floor towers downtown easily. Several thousands there not to mention The Provincial inept decision for Liquor and Lotteries near P Park.
Their office space is literally a walled off an area inside a warehouse, with a few added doors and windows on the exterior walls of their corner of the building.

Not really an inspiring place to work, without even getting into the general area they are in.

Even given the current conditions of downtown, I would still rather work downtown than Milt Stegall Drive.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2023, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Their office space is literally a walled off an area inside a warehouse, with a few added doors and windows on the exterior walls of their corner of the building.

Not really an inspiring place to work, without even getting into the general area they are in.

Even given the current conditions of downtown, I would still rather work downtown than Milt Stegall Drive.
That’s conservative thinking for you. All numbers, zero humanity.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2023, 1:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardTH View Post
Just kinda sounds to me like Labroco wants the "stick" for government offices and the "carrot" for building/property owners. Sorry but more handouts and corporate welfare for wealthy building owners is a no for me dawg.
What I’m suggesting is the office market downtown is very soft and the City core is less than vibrant. If all Government agencies locate in the core at fair market rents, these vacant buildings get occupied, people are downtown utilizing services and transit, taxes get paid to fund government requirements.

This is not a handout but rather directing government services to utilize underutilizing urban real estate.

If we want more construction we need more tenants. What we are getting now is musical chairs. Wawanessa on Main and Broadway will create a void when they relocate, federal offices on Broadway have vacated, Western Canadian Lotteries is half empty and now for sale not to mention all the class B and C buildings.

I’m not suggesting the government is not downtown just that more would be even better.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2023, 4:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepish View Post
Hmmm....perhaps if there was a hotel and residence across the street that would help with the traffic. If only someone could design and BUILD such a project!
Clearly the Wawa offices will generate more daytime traffic in the area.
The point of not only addressing the underlying social issues, but working to make downtown more physically appealing is critical. Start by encouraging the development of ground level parking lots. Second, create more public social, recreational and amenity space. Finally, be creative.
Majority of Wawa employees work at home

Old Posted Apr 16, 2023, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
There was a one storey annex attached to the west side of Boyd. You can see it in the Apr 2020 view on Google Earth.
I hadn't noticed that. Thanks. Very lame of them.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2023, 7:07 PM

Looks like the old concrete tower coming down on Route 90

Old Posted Apr 16, 2023, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doogie5 View Post
Majority of Wawa employees work at home
Not for long. They’ve got a lot of floors to fill up and its a single occupancy building.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan