HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 25, 2017, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Mac View Post
Very excited about the LSE proposals. As a resident, I'll definitely be at the presentation. I'm slightly concerned about that. My wife, who has NIMBYesque tendencies, is upset by the number of hotel keys, especially on the corner lot. Hopefully she's not representative. It'll also be interesting to see what they have proposed for the non -highrise space in that lot, since the original renderings seemed to show green space.
Just tell her that she lives in a city not a suburb, and to get over it!

Though I don't have to live with her...

But that's what I would say.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2017, 5:13 PM
Ascension

Quote:
Very excited about the LSE proposals. As a resident, I'll definitely be at the presentation. I'm slightly concerned about that. My wife, who has NIMBYesque tendencies, is upset by the number of hotel keys, especially on the corner lot. Hopefully she's not representative. It'll also be interesting to see what they have proposed for the non -highrise space in that lot, since the original renderings seemed to show green space.
I'll never understand people who live in the middle of a downtown setting surrounded by skyscrapers grumble about skyscrapers surrounding them. That's like people who live in the desert complain that it's too hot.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2017, 9:16 PM

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/reale...development-by

June 24, 2017
Massive new development plans on tap for Lakeshore East

By Alby Gallun

Quote:
As the 94-story Vista Tower along the Chicago River rises out of the ground, one of its developers is getting ready to unveil plans for more than 2,000 homes and nearly 1,000 hotel rooms nearby.

Magellan Development Group wants to build three towers along Lake Shore Drive just south of the river that would include 1,400 residential units and 300 hotel rooms, according to an email downtown Ald. Brendan Reilly, 42nd, sent to constituents yesterday.

The buildings would rise at the east end of Lakeshore East, a massive mixed-use development south of the river and east of Michigan Avenue that Chicago-based Magellan has been building for more than 15 years. Lakeshore East buildings include the 82-story Aqua tower and Vista, a 94-story hotel-and-condominium high-rise that Magellan is developing with Chinese partner Wanda Commercial Properties.

In addition to the buildings on the eastern parcel, Magellan plans to develop as many as 640 residential units and 626 hotel rooms on a site known as Parcel O, at 195 N. Columbus Drive, just south of Aqua, according to Reilly's email.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2017, 9:50 PM

I'm so looking forward to the eyesore party wall with the Chandler getting covered up. It had better be part of the plan.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2017, 10:14 PM
Ascension

I want to see a at least a 60 story building with some townhomes (similar to Benton Place) on the bottom. I love Lakeshore East. I love the aquatic theme of the overall development (Aqua, The Tides, Shoreham, etc), the quiet, neighborhood feel it has, and the fact that it looks to be a nice place to raise a family. I'm a single male but if I had a husband , a child, and a dog or two, I'd totally look at LSE. Coast would be high on my list. I love that building. Probably my favorite in LSE. A pic I took.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2017, 10:22 PM
The City

My wife wants to live in LSE.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2017, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trvlr70 View Post
I'm so looking forward to the eyesore party wall with the Chandler getting covered up. It had better be part of the plan.
huh, it's funny... I've seen the design, but I just realized, I don't think it does cover up the party wall, but is instead, 3 stand-alone towers...

Old Posted Jun 25, 2017, 11:57 PM

Do most people who live in LakeShore East drive? Or take cabs/Uber ?

Especially if you lived in the east part of LSE, it doesn't seem like public transportation is particularly convenient

Old Posted Jun 25, 2017, 11:58 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
http://www.chicagobusiness.com/reale...development-by

June 24, 2017
Massive new development plans on tap for Lakeshore East

By Alby Gallun
Holy shit, I didn't realize they were planning on doing the last phases along LSD and parcel 'O' so quickly, or at least as part of this cycle.

The article said that there will be a release of renders during a July 10th meeting with the Ward.

I think it's very safe to say that when all of Lakeshore East is done, it will be comparable in size and scope, if not larger than the Hudson Yards Development. That is not at all an exaggeration either, considering how massive LSE is.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 12:34 AM

I had this idea today to try and envision the future of chicago, but someone with better image editing skills would be able to do it this would make a good article for curbed and dna etc.

so using google maps you can see a bunch of empty field lots around the downtown area and parking lots, some of which have been turned into skyscrapers (see: vista tower). Now you can see what chicago will look like in 50 years or so if you fill every empty lot with a tower 1000 feet tall or so, and voila sneak peak of the future chicago skyline

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 1:39 AM

3Eleven Illinois

June 22

June 23

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 2:41 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
My wife wants to live in LSE.

That would be quite a commute for you TUP

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 3:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilsenarch View Post
huh, it's funny... I've seen the design, but I just realized, I don't think it does cover up the party wall, but is instead, 3 stand-alone towers...
I hope we're both wrong because that "scar" just sticks out!

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 5:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket49 View Post
Do most people who live in LakeShore East drive? Or take cabs/Uber ?

Especially if you lived in the east part of LSE, it doesn't seem like public transportation is particularly convenient
Most people I know walk to work. The only convenient public transport is the #60 bus, which goes through the Loop to Ogilvie / Union Station. The buildings all have parking garages, which are fairly full, but I think there are a lot of people who don't use their cars much. My wife only uses ours for occasional trips to Costco / Target.

The area is popular with people who want to live somewhere convenient, but quiet -- young families, retirees. The older condo buildings on Randolph (400 E. Randolph, Harbor Point) are particularly popular with retirees. A lot of those people would probably be actively opposed to more public transport.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 10:12 AM

675 N Wells

June 23

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 11:02 AM
Ascension

Quote:
Most people I know walk to work. The only convenient public transport is the #60 bus, which goes through the Loop to Ogilvie / Union Station. The buildings all have parking garages, which are fairly full, but I think there are a lot of people who don't use their cars much. My wife only uses ours for occasional trips to Costco / Target.

The area is popular with people who want to live somewhere convenient, but quiet -- young families, retirees. The older condo buildings on Randolph (400 E. Randolph, Harbor Point) are particularly popular with retirees. A lot of those people would probably be actively opposed to more public transport.
400 E. Randolph fascinates me when you consider that it was the first building built in what would be later called Lakeshore East. How people lived there when it was first built is beyond me.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/6/5662/3...d0732f7e_h.jpg

Who was living here at that time?

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 11:19 AM

Well, they had direct access to the park and the marina, and there wasn't very much traffic on LSD at the time. They probably just drove everywhere.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 1:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Well, they had direct access to the park and the marina, and there wasn't very much traffic on LSD at the time. They probably just drove everywhere.
You obviously were not on LSD back then - it was heavily used, with the bonus of reversible lanes that were not always well understood.

Great photo.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 1:41 PM
Ascension

I wish I was on LSD at that time. It was the 60s after all.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 1:45 PM
Urbane observer

Outer Drive East had its own shuttle bus and its own commissary. Taxis weren't so expensive. The Loop still had restaurants, nightclubs, movie theaters, bookstores, groceries, a Catholic church—even hardware stores and hobby shops.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations