HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Old Posted Jan 8, 2023, 3:56 AM

3025 JFK by Philly SkyGuy, on Flickr

2301 JFK by Philly SkyGuy, on Flickr

Old Posted Jan 8, 2023, 2:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
Yessir.
That's amazing it's lasted all these years. It'd be great if they could somehow recycle those blocks somewhere else in the city.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2023, 7:01 PM

This is random but does anyone know why there are all of those mini sport courts underneath the rail bridge right next to this site? There's a mini soccer field, tennis court, basketball court, pickleball court, and even a racquetball court if I remember correctly. Wonder if they will survive this project or not.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2023, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdurk View Post
This is random but does anyone know why there are all of those mini sport courts underneath the rail bridge right next to this site? There's a mini soccer field, tennis court, basketball court, pickleball court, and even a racquetball court if I remember correctly. Wonder if they will survive this project or not.
They were built there by PMC who developed Riverwalk and is also developing this tower. They have full control of all the land between the two projects, including under the rail viaduct. It was supposed to be an impossible-to-find-anywhere-else amenity for the residents at these buildings, and then they got fully destroyed by Hurricane Ida. Haven't walked by recently to see if they've bothered rebuilding them as I imagine construction at 2301 will render them inaccessible for awhile. But either way I thought it was a fairly brilliant way to make something useful out of what is otherwise very inhospitable space.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2023, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Fishtown View Post
They were built there by PMC who developed Riverwalk and is also developing this tower. They have full control of all the land between the two projects, including under the rail viaduct. It was supposed to be an impossible-to-find-anywhere-else amenity for the residents at these buildings, and then they got fully destroyed by Hurricane Ida. Haven't walked by recently to see if they've bothered rebuilding them as I imagine construction at 2301 will render them inaccessible for awhile. But either way I thought it was a fairly brilliant way to make something useful out of what is otherwise very inhospitable space.
I agree that it's a great idea but I am SHOCKED that those were considered amenities. My friends and I (none of us live in those towers) have just walked into those courts and played soccer for hours multiple times. I wonder if when they complete the new tower they'll revamp them and add some security to them lol. My roommate has a friend who lives in Riverwalk and apparently their pool and deck is pretty awesome. Hoping to check it out when it gets warmer again.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2023, 5:08 PM

Old Posted Jan 13, 2023, 1:26 PM

Noticed 2301 JFK appeared on LooperNet on January 3, 2023 - I think these have not been posted on here yet... either way, if PMC/Gensler and Carson can pull off this building as the renderings depict, with the curvy-ness/waves it will really stand-out as an ultra modern addition to the skyline.

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/2301...a-PA/18062197/

Old Posted Jan 13, 2023, 2:55 PM

This is gonna look so good coming into 30th Street on the Amtrak from NYC.

The Schuykill canyon is already impressive but this makes it a slam dunk.

Also. Can you even believe I'm talking about a skyscraper canyon on the Schuykill? I mean. Fifteen years ago it seemed like a pipedream.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2023, 3:11 PM

Meh. It's still a Philly Special.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2023, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawnadelphia View Post
Noticed 2301 JFK appeared on LooperNet on January 3, 2023 - I think these have not been posted on here yet... either way, if PMC/Gensler and Carson can pull off this building as the renderings depict, with the curvy-ness/waves it will really stand-out as an ultra modern addition to the skyline.

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/2301...a-PA/18062197/
Wait what?? Is this back to being an all office building? That's not a residential footprint and says floors 4-21

LoopNet and the building's website don't mention a residential component either.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2023, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoughtcriminal View Post
"Meh"? "Philly Special" What the what? This thing is great in fill and pretty sleek looking to me. Depending upon the actual materials these use, it should have seem good texture beyond a boring glass facade.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2023, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottydont View Post
"Meh"? "Philly Special" What the what? This thing is great in fill and pretty sleek looking to me. Depending upon the actual materials these use, it should have seem good texture beyond a boring glass facade.
Agree - when looking at this lot, this is just about an ideal project. Don't know what else would have been preferable.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2023, 6:31 PM

I feel like I'm one of the harshest critics here of subpar designs but this is an excellent project. First, I think it's a creative use for an odd lot, so kudos to the development team on that. Second, there's nothing Philly-special about it - it's sleek, round, and well designed overall. A Philly special to me is either a 3 story brick base with a glass box set back or metal panel crap. This is neither.

Is it the greatest design ever? Hardly but this is a very good design. I don't really have any criticisms.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2023, 6:37 PM

I think the term "Philly Special" is sometimes used to refer to how we get long, slim buildings as opposed to skinny towers. I can see why some don't like the idea but I think this project is a slam dunk.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2023, 6:40 PM

I like it overall, but not the height to width ratio. Similar to the other Riverwalk towers, it's almost proportioned like a book, and this part of the riverside is like a shiny bookshelf.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2023, 6:47 PM
Philly Rising Up!

"Philly Special" connotes a run-of-the mill and very common and boring design repeated over and over again with par to sub-par material. When we see these type of builds, that's how we typically use the phrase.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2023, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Possibly the most absurd take you've had and that's saying something.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2023, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Are you high?

Old Posted Jan 13, 2023, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
I think the term "Philly Special" is sometimes used to refer to how we get long, slim buildings as opposed to skinny towers. I can see why some don't like the idea but I think this project is a slam dunk.
My understanding as well - I think 3rd or Londoner coined that term. Philly Special:

Old Posted Jan 13, 2023, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
"Philly Special" connotes a run-of-the mill and very common and boring design repeated over and over again with par to sub-par material. When we see these type of builds, that's how we typically use the phrase.
I mean it to be a building that is too long horizontally and too short vertically. you could take half of the length of these buildings and stack them so that the building is twice as tall but less horizontal.
The curtain wall and the interior designs are fine, it's just the massing of the building I am talking about.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction