HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 12:19 AM

Looks like AC has loaded YYJ-YOW to counter WS...it was posted on the Canada thread (credit to hollywoodcorry). Let’s see what else comes back with the “bailout”!
YOW 1620 - YYJ 1835 x6 A220-300
YYJ 0745 - YOW 1522 x6 A220-300

Last edited by VaskoYOW; Apr 13, 2021 at 1:01 AM. Reason: Times and equipment

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 1:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaskoYOW View Post
Looks like AC has loaded YYJ-YOW to counter WS...it was posted on the Canada thread (credit to hollywoodcorry). Let’s see what else comes back with the “bailout”!
YOW 1620 - YYJ 1835 x6 A220-300
YYJ 0745 - YOW 1522 x6 A220-300
LOL well look at that. Operating on all the days that WS aren't operating.

Okay AC, now when will YOW-LHR come back?

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 1:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominion301 View Post
LOL well look at that. Operating on all the days that WS aren't operating.

Okay AC, now when will YOW-LHR come back?
Looking at AC's booking system I believe the flight is only on day 6.

LHR hopefully in summer 2022.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 1:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainView View Post

Ah ok. Now I know why I couldn't find anything searching on random weekdays.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 1:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainView View Post

Sorry my bet, yes the flight will be only on Saturdays! Was rushing to write it out.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 12:32 PM

I'm glad the AC Federal assistance is in the form of loans and not hand-outs. The $500 million in equity could also pay off very well on a few years. Would I have preferred something that restricted air-travel between the Montreal-Ottawa-Toronto corridor in order to give HFR an advantage, yes, but this is far better than what I imagined the final deal would look like.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 1:05 PM

From what I can see Westjet will be resuming it's YOW-YVR flight starting mid-May and will be 4x weekly on days 3467

Also looks like YOW-YYC will be 5x weekly on days 13567

And finally YYZ will be back up to 2x daily.

If this holds true, seems like WestJet is getting a jump on AC as they won't be returning to YOW-YVR until June.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 1:28 PM

Flair Airlines adding Ottawa-Kelowna flight this summer:

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/flair-airl...2ZHWVXVTtgx23I

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 2:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_speed3108 View Post
Flair Airlines adding Ottawa-Kelowna flight this summer:

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/flair-airl...2ZHWVXVTtgx23I
Look at that. I wonder if that means they're seeing encouraging bookings out of YOW?

Today's departure count: 7

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
I'm glad the AC Federal assistance is in the form of loans and not hand-outs. The $500 million in equity could also pay off very well on a few years. Would I have preferred something that restricted air-travel between the Montreal-Ottawa-Toronto corridor in order to give HFR an advantage, yes, but this is far better than what I imagined the final deal would look like.
I agree. As for HFR, we will have to see, but I don't see AC providing much competition to it. HFR is designed to compete primarily with driving, though I am sure PD will see a significant hit.

Quote:
Look at that. I wonder if that means they're seeing encouraging bookings out of YOW?
Quite possibly. COVID is likely providing an amazing opportunity to Flair. It is always difficult for a new airline to compete with the incumbents, but COVID has weakened them significantly, making it easier for Flair to come in and service under/un served routings without the threat of one of the big boys temporarily matching them head to head, when they are struggling to bring back all of their pre-COVID routes.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818 View Post
I agree. As for HFR, we will have to see, but I don't see AC providing much competition to it. HFR is designed to compete primarily with driving, though I am sure PD will see a significant hit.

Quite possibly. COVID is likely providing an amazing opportunity to Flair. It is always difficult for a new airline to compete with the incumbents, but COVID has weakened them significantly, making it easier for Flair to come in and service under/un served routings without the threat of one of the big boys temporarily matching them head to head, when they are struggling to bring back all of their pre-COVID routes.
Even HFR isn't a huge hit to PD as a same-day round-trip to/from Toronto still isn't very doable with HFR. The way bigger threat to PD is whether or not Zoom, Teams, etc. will permanently remove a huge portion of that same-day biz traffic.

HFR is also pretty insignificant to AC and WS to YYZ as flying will still be way, way faster than HFR for anyone wanting to access the western half of the GTA.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 12:15 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Low-cost airline Flair to launch Ottawa-Kelowna routes this summer

By: OBJ staff
Published: Apr 13, 2021 5:54pm EDT

Low-cost air carrier Flair Airlines said Tuesday it plans to add twice-weekly flights between Ottawa and Kelowna, B.C., to its growing list of routes that are slated to start service again this summer.

The company said the route will launch on Aug. 4, offering flights on Wednesdays and Saturdays. One-way fares will start at $59 including taxes and fees.

The Edmonton-based carrier said it expects to fly to 19 destinations by the end of summer. Flair is adding 13 aircraft to its fleet this year as it ramps up for an expected resurgence in air travel as vaccinations roll out and people feel more comfortable about flying.

“We know there is pent up demand for people to see families and have affordable vacations once it is safe for us to travel again,” Stephen Jones, the airline’s president and CEO, said in a statement.

Flair originally planned to start flying into Ottawa last summer with routes connecting Calgary, Edmonton, Halifax and Toronto to the capital, but those plans were put on hold due to the pandemic.

A spokesperson did not immediately respond Tuesday when asked whether more flights in and out of YOW would be added to the airline’s schedule this summer.

Renewed demand for air travel and additional routes to accommodate it would come as a welcome relief to officials at Ottawa’s airport, which has seen passenger volumes plummet since the COVID-19 crisis began.

Ottawa International Airport Authority CEO Mark Laroche told OBJ last month that just one million passengers are projected to pass through the terminal in 2021, down from 1.4 million last year and 5.1 million two years ago.

He said the not-for-profit facility ​– which generates virtually all of its revenues from landing fees charged to airlines, terminal and airport improvement fees levied on passengers as well as concessions and parking ​– faces a $70-million shortfall this year and needs federal help to finance projects such as a planned LRT station.

https://www.obj.ca/article/local/tou...-routes-summer

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 3:31 AM

Wednesday's departure count: 7

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 7:05 AM

Quote:

It starts in August which should be a busy month for domestic travel. We are on track for very few restrictions by then.

The fall and especially into winter could bounce back quickly. Americans are booking so many Christmas vacations that many resorts are sold out. We are a couple of months behind them but with less vaccine hesitancy we might pass them by July.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2021, 1:45 PM

Old Posted Apr 16, 2021, 2:10 PM

Today’s departure count: 7

Old Posted Apr 17, 2021, 1:16 PM

I know this isn't the thread for this, but I assume those who frequent here could point me in the right direction. I am wondering why it seems more difficult to build a good aircraft in the 2020s vs the 1960s and 70s etc... Between the issues and delays with the MAX, 787 and 777x it seems like in modern times it takes longer to "get it right". Shouldn't it be easier now than ever to design and manufacture a new aircraft?

Old Posted Apr 17, 2021, 1:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tails2489 View Post
I know this isn't the thread for this, but I assume those who frequent here could point me in the right direction. I am wondering why it seems more difficult to build a good aircraft in the 2020s vs the 1960s and 70s etc... Between the issues and delays with the MAX, 787 and 777x it seems like in modern times it takes longer to "get it right". Shouldn't it be easier now than ever to design and manufacture a new aircraft?

Airplanes now are more complex, with more complexes systems.... have more
complexed problems.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2021, 3:46 PM

Not only are aircraft more complex, but the bar is substantially higher. Compare the safety record of aircraft in the 70s to anything designed beyond 1990.

And it's also getting harder to squeeze out improvements, which are increasingly coming down to better materials, manufacturing techniques and maintainability, not so much design.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2021, 11:13 PM

Today’s departure count: 6

Tomorrow, if nothing gets cancelled, it’ll be the first time with a double digit departure count since January 30th and the busiest day since January 8th.

Sunday’s departure count: 11

With the new border restrictions, let’s see how long the increase lasts.

EDIT: Sunday's departure count ended up being only 9 - so the single digit departure count streak continues.

Last edited by Dominion301; Apr 18, 2021 at 9:34 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation