HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Mar 28, 2021, 7:54 PM

I haven’t been anywhere in west Africa, but I have 3 friends/former colleagues of British Nigerian descent and one of my favourite high end restaurants in London is Nigerian. I don’t think I could handle the heat and humidity in that part of Africa though. But Nairobi on the other hand, aside from the miserable traffic (a problem everywhere on the continent) has some pretty cool scenes emerging (and a penchant for great Mexican food which is odd but welcome).

edit: this was meant to be a reply to one of Segun’s posts that I didn’t want to quote in full because it was long, but I see the conversation has moved on!
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Mar 29, 2021, 1:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
Bengal Subah was produced 12% of global economic output before the British got their hands on it. It takes time to come back from having your economy decimated and millions of your people starved to death. Look at the mess you've left in Mesopotamia. You slimy Europeans can try to wash your hands of it, but you're the ones who left your mess everywhere. Show a little responsibility.
How long until you can stop making excuses? 100 years? 1,000?

It's getting old. And thinking about colonialism as only negative means you probably know nothing about colonialism.

I would take colonialism over what was previously the course of empires; complete and utter domination and integration into their empires.

But let's ignore all of human civilized history because we can blame Europeans for current problems!

Old Posted Mar 29, 2021, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post

It's getting old. And thinking about colonialism as only negative means you probably know nothing about colonialism.

I would take colonialism over what was previously the course of empires; complete and utter domination and integration into their empires.

But let's ignore all of human civilized history because we can blame Europeans for current problems!
This is way off topic, I know, but what are/were the pluses of colonialism for colonized territories? It's weird that an American would be singing the virtues of colonialism, considering that the United States began as a rebuke of colonialism, lol.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2021, 8:31 PM

For decades now, DC has the largest Ethiopian population in the United States. Many of our Ethiopian neighbors fled famine and civil war in the 1980s. DC has several delicious Ethiopian restaurants including Dukem and a food truck that has since closed that I enjoyed getting lunch from.

Many of DC's Ethiopian residents first lived around Shaw and U Street, NW. As this area has become more expensive and as the Ethiopian immigrants have become more established, however, many have moved to both Silver Spring and the Virginia suburbs for good schools and more affordable housing.

https://wamu.org/story/16/04/21/how_...ans_in_the_us/

Old Posted Mar 29, 2021, 8:48 PM
The City

^ I had many a good Ethiopian meal when I lived in DC

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Mar 29, 2021, 8:57 PM

^Speaking of meals in DC: This is off topic, of course, but DC (Georgetown, to be specific) will forever be in my heart as the place I first had Cuban food.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2021, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post

Think about how long it took Europeans to figure things out after the Romans left and you'll get an idea of how long it takes to come back. Or, think about how long the British treated Bengal like a piggy banks (it was centuries), and recognize that it should probably take a long time to come back from that.

Real assholish post, by the way. Kiss my ass.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2021, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
This is way off topic, I know, but what are/were the pluses of colonialism for colonized territories? It's weird that an American would be singing the virtues of colonialism, considering that the United States began as a rebuke of colonialism, lol.
But the US also wouldn’t exist without colonialism.

There were and are a lot of benefits to the colonised places, from physical infrastructure to administrative institutions.

India still relies on railways built by the British, not to mention its entire tea industry. Whole cities like Cape Town would simply not exist without European colonisation.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Apr 2, 2021, 7:12 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
But the US also wouldn’t exist without colonialism.

There were and are a lot of benefits to the colonised places, from physical infrastructure to administrative institutions.

India still relies on railways built by the British, not to mention its entire tea industry. Whole cities like Cape Town would simply not exist without European colonisation.
Language. A big benefit of English colonies is that the people in those old colonies can speak and understand English. English speaking immigrants have a big advantage over non English speaking immigrants and those that remain in their own country have a higher potential to earn more if they are fluent in English.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions