HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Mar 28, 2021, 1:19 AM

Buffalo NY - Waterfront Village

The Waterfront Village neighborhood is directly adjacent to Downtown Buffalo, and separated from Lake Erie by the Erie Basin Marina and Lasalle Park. The marina and current neighborhood was formerly part of the city’s Canal District, consisting of the Erie Canal, several wharves along Lake Erie, coal transfer facilities, and tenement housing. Beginning in the 1930s through the 1970s, the area was land filled and redesigned to primarily be recreational and residential, with the NY Thruway (I-190) built upon the former canal bed in the late 1950s.

Today, the marina and adjacent parks (Lasalle, Canalside, and the Naval and Military Park) are some of the most popular locations for visitors. The residential development of the area began in the late 1970s, and continues today, currently with several hundred residences along with offices and restaurants.

Some recent images from the area, prior to the start of boating season, and still with a few ice floes in the lake headed toward the Niagara.

Looking across the Marina at the Waterfront Village, with Buffalo City Hall in the background.

IMG_5984
by bpawlik, on Flickr

Many of the homes are built directly on the water, and there are two taller condominium buildings with views of Lake Erie and downtown, with a third building planned to be added.

IMG_9705
by bpawlik, on Flickr

Irish Famine memorial, dedicated to the workers and families who fled Ireland and who lived and worked in the Canal District.

IMG_4936
by bpawlik, on Flickr

Former boat slips that once held lake freighters are now surrounding by offices and housing.

IMG_0423
by bpawlik, on Flickr

IMG_4046
by bpawlik, on Flickr

Offices and restaurants along the marina.

IMG_4197
by bpawlik, on Flickr

Homes and condos wander and weave through the neighborhood.

IMG_5519
by bpawlik, on Flickr

IMG_2995
by bpawlik, on Flickr

IMG_5050
by bpawlik, on Flickr

IMG_8296
by bpawlik, on Flickr

IMG_0060
by bpawlik, on Flickr

IMG_1627
by bpawlik, on Flickr

Several still under construction, or just recently completed.

IMG_5990
by bpawlik, on Flickr

IMG_5132
by bpawlik, on Flickr

While all homes do not have a direct view of the water, all are close to the water, parks, or the park trails. The adjacent bike path is part of the Shoreline Trail, which connects Lakes Erie and Ontario, along with connections to the Erie Canal Trail across NY State.

IMG_3366
by bpawlik, on Flickr

IMG_5993
by bpawlik, on Flickr

Lasalle Park will soon be undergoing a $100M makeover thanks to a donation from the Ralph Wilson Foundation. Park will also be renamed in his honor.

IMG_2369
by bpawlik, on Flickr

On a nice day, easy walking distance to downtown.

IMG_8334
by bpawlik, on Flickr

The condos right on the marina have access to boat slips and great views of the marina and Lake Erie.

IMG_4261
by bpawlik, on Flickr

IMG_3257
by bpawlik, on Flickr

IMG_6593
by bpawlik, on Flickr

The roadway which separates the marina from Lake Erie was built upon the Erie Basin Breakwall, originally built in the early 1800s to protect the harbor area which is now Waterfront Village.

IMG_1411
by bpawlik, on Flickr

IMG_1896
by bpawlik, on Flickr

The tip of the roadway/breakwall now holds an observation tower, while at the other end overlooks the old Buffalo Lighthouse at the entrance to the Buffalo River.

IMG_3109
by bpawlik, on Flickr

IMG_0990
by bpawlik, on Flickr

Summertime view of Erie Basin Marina, Waterfront Village, and Downtown.

Marina View
by bpawlik, on Flickr

Last edited by benp; Mar 28, 2021 at 1:43 PM.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2021, 4:52 AM

Nice pictures! I didn't realize that there were little slivers of history sprinkled amongst all that architecture from the 70s. The famine memorial and old stone slip walls are interesting. And I have always seen that observation tower, but figured it was a Coast Guard building or something like that, and was off-limits. Now I'll have to check it out!

Old Posted May 24, 2021, 11:37 PM

I agree that observation tower looks like a nice Brutalist feature. Thank you for the tour.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos