HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Nov 20, 2007, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dboggie View Post
Does anyone have a floor plan for the townhouses?

I am fairly unfamiliar with townhouses in general, but my initial impression is that is a lot of money to be asking for a home that has windows on only 1 side. Are there bedrooms in the back that are completely windowless?

dboggie: click here for floor plans: http://www.lakeshoreeast.com/parkhomes.html

Old Posted Nov 20, 2007, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlyBuyer View Post
dboggie: click here for floor plans: http://www.lakeshoreeast.com/parkhomes.html
Thanks EarlyBuyer! It appears they do a pretty good job considering the circumstances, especially with the 2-floor living room allowing light to get deeper into the unit. Although you better like climbing stairs if you want one of those!

Old Posted Nov 20, 2007, 4:07 PM

You're welcome. Yeah, townhome dwellers probably need to spend less time in the gym.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2007, 12:14 AM
THAT Guy

Saw this design for 2800 N Lincoln Avenue by Product Architecture.

I'm not sure how far along the project is (or if it's even still alive) but it's certainly better than what's there now.

EarlyBuyer mentioned that new signs went up in LSE.
Redesigned Village Market

Last edited by spyguy; Nov 21, 2007 at 12:42 AM.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2007, 4:36 AM
The City

Considering the relative shortage of vintage commercial streetscapes on the south side, this is great news:

Landmark district proposed for Cottage Grove

Designation would encompass more than 20 Chatham and Greater Grand Crossing buildings

One of Chicago's finest surviving groups of neighborhood commercial buildings today received preliminary approval as a landmark district by the Commission on Chicago Landmarks.

Located along Cottage Grove Avenue, primarily between 75th and 79th streets, the proposed district features 21 Classical, Renaissance, Gothic Revival and Prairie style structures dating to the early 1900s. All but three of the buildings are noted for their terra cotta cladding and ornamentation, which reached an apex of creativity and lavishness during the 1920s, according to the commission.
http://egov.cityofchicago.org/city/w...inCategoryOID=

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Nov 21, 2007, 5:02 AM
Registered

^ It's always been a lovely district, but I can't believe they took notice! I am happy to know it's going to be around longer than all of us.

Concerning the Village Market, big disappointment. It seems like the major access points have been reduced, if not eliminated (remember the grand escalator?), and the design isn't much more sophisticated. As always, it could have been worse....

Old Posted Nov 21, 2007, 5:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forumly_chgoman View Post
someone should do a census analysis on this & see what the population would be if this was indeed the case
.......about 10,000,000

Old Posted Nov 21, 2007, 1:37 PM

Thanks spyguy for the photo's of the now more linear LSE Market Center. This is (at least) the third design the consumer has seen for this building.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2007, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
Saw this design for 2800 N Lincoln Avenue by Product Architecture.

I'm not sure how far along the project is (or if it's even still alive) but it's certainly better than what's there now.

EarlyBuyer mentioned that new signs went up in LSE.
Redesigned Village Market

The outside terrace about Treasure Island is a nice touch. It may have one of the coolest views around for the general public.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2007, 4:03 PM

So will you be able to walk from the BCBS/340OTP plaza to that rooftop terrace? Or will they be completely separate?

Old Posted Nov 21, 2007, 4:49 PM

spertus

quick little review from the sun times on the spertus institute

Old Posted Nov 21, 2007, 6:10 PM
The City

Quick question--for anybody who may have made it to the Nov 16th Plan Commission meeting, did they discuss the 11-story 1260 W Madison project proposed by the Pinkus Group?

I'm curious, because I posted a Chicago Journal article about this recently in which NIMBY's were trying to get this project deferred from the agenda, even though the Alderman supports it

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Nov 22, 2007, 9:09 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
So will you be able to walk from the BCBS/340OTP plaza to that rooftop terrace? Or will they be completely separate?
As I mentioned on SSC, I'll bet anything that the lot between Aqua and BCBS will become a loading dock for the Market on the lower level and a plaza on the top level.

I think there will be several access points to the building on the top, from the south, east, and west.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2007, 9:00 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Quick question--for anybody who may have made it to the Nov 16th Plan Commission meeting, did they discuss the 11-story 1260 W Madison project proposed by the Pinkus Group?

I'm curious, because I posted a Chicago Journal article about this recently in which NIMBY's were trying to get this project deferred from the agenda, even though the Alderman supports it

Great question - I was wondering the same as I don't think it's clear in the monthly Plan Commission report on NewCitySkyline...

Old Posted Nov 22, 2007, 9:00 PM
you know where I'll be

Fioretti's Key Quote in Wed. Trib

direct Fioretti quote from the Tribune - "We need for development to cool down to keep the neighborhood hot." I posted this for anyone who doubts my contention that our new downtown aldermen intend to slowdown the development approval process (this is already evident in the very sparse Plan Commission agendas (for downtown high-rises) since late spring/early summer. Rather than being a sympton of the condo market slowdown or credit crunch (these impacts would show up more in groundbreakings for projects that are already entitled), the slow down in the entitlement process itself is more of a reflection of the new aldermen's desires to slow down development overall (what I sometimes call 'chasing the community consensus phantom') - I just didn't think I would get so lucky with a quote so explicitly expressing his intentions...

Also, what is Fioretti suggesting - that he thinks it's his role to interfere with the free market in order to prop up prices or something? Folks - I'm telling you - this is a very misguided individual trying to make some sort of mark...

Last edited by SamInTheLoop; Nov 22, 2007 at 9:11 PM.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2007, 9:04 PM
you know where I'll be

LSE Village Market

Looks similar to a model I saw in the sales center some months back. While it's not stunning, I like it overall and think it's so much better than some previous versions I had seen. This version looks like Loewenberg received a much-needed dose of design assistance, just like they need on practically anything of theirs that doesn't suck...

Old Posted Nov 23, 2007, 3:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
direct Fioretti quote from the Tribune - "We need for development to cool down to keep the neighborhood hot." I posted this for anyone who doubts my contention that our new downtown aldermen intend to slowdown the development approval process (this is already evident in the very sparse Plan Commission agendas (for downtown high-rises) since late spring/early summer. Rather than being a sympton of the condo market slowdown or credit crunch (these impacts would show up more in groundbreakings for projects that are already entitled), the slow down in the entitlement process itself is more of a reflection of the new aldermen's desires to slow down development overall (what I sometimes call 'chasing the community consensus phantom') - I just didn't think I would get so lucky with a quote so explicitly expressing his intentions...

Also, what is Fioretti suggesting - that he thinks it's his role to interfere with the free market in order to prop up prices or something? Folks - I'm telling you - this is a very misguided individual trying to make some sort of mark...
No need to convince me... his detrimentality is surpassed only by union-hack Reilly.

Last edited by VivaLFuego; Nov 24, 2007 at 7:09 AM.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2007, 8:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaLFuego View Post
No need to convince me... his detriment is surpassed only by union-hack Reilly.

and a bif f u to al those those that blasted hatchcock and nataurus throught the years.... get used to more of these puke ups.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2007, 9:20 PM

I didn't know where else to post this exactly. It's quite disgusting actually. Ignorance is bliss. If the moderators feel that it should be moved elsewhere, so-be-it...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...i_tab01_layout

PIONEER FAMILIES   PUSHING THE EDGE OF SUBURBIA

Leaps of faith drive ever-expanding 'burbs

In this two-part series, we examine the Chicago area's population expansion through the lives of two families. Today: Meet the Schramkas, among the first to move into a subdivision on the Western edge of Aurora.

By Charles Leroux and Patrick T. Reardon | Tribune staff reporters
November 25, 2007

Standing in front of their new home, Alysia and Ryan Schramka and their 2-year-old daughter, Madison, look out across 600 acres of what recently were corn and soybean fields. At the moment, their view is of a barren landscape. The streets have been put into the naked ground but curve along lots where only weeds reside.

Last edited by BVictor1; Nov 25, 2007 at 12:02 AM. Reason: To add correct link for the story.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2007, 10:06 PM
TL;DR

It's worth mentioning, BVic, that the subdivision article is only half of a two-part series. The Tribune has some fairly good journalists who know that presenting only one side of an issue is unfair.

The tagline for part two is "What the newest subdivisions can learn from the oldest". I'm hoping that it includes some discussion of New Urbanism and sustainable growth patterns.

The first article, though, presented a skewed picture of edge developments. It rattles on about how bike paths and natural streams are "creating a sense of community". Bike paths are often used as excuses not to pave sidewalks, and they are rarely used except for exercise purposes, since they don't lead to employment and they don't lead to shopping.

Often, the "natural stream" or "wetlands" they are preserving is a sad-looking little retention pond with some cattails in it that somehow avoided the scourge of the bulldozer.

I'm all for metropolitan growth, but I'm seriously hoping that we look to compact development along transit and highways, or infill in existing suburbs. The featured couple in the article hopes that the pastoral setting will remain forever - that can't happen if farmland keeps getting chewed up at astronomical speeds in all compass directions.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development