HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 4:13 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Is black and white a fad? I mean nationally, the blue glass fad was upwards of 80-90% of projects for a decade, while I can think of maybe a handful of black and white developments.

Personally I think Strathearn Heights looks great.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 5:52 PM

I would rather have black & white than glass any day of the week.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 6:44 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbottawa View Post
That building at 2116 Eglinton Ave West is going to look so odd in that neighbourhood.

There's a lot of development happening along that stretch of Eglinton now, in advance of the Crosstown opening. These will also be going up within a few blocks of that site:

https://urbantoronto.ca/database/pro...esign-district

https://urbantoronto.ca/database/pro...-eglinton-west

https://urbantoronto.ca/database/pro...on-avenue-west

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
Is black and white a fad? I mean nationally, the blue glass fad was upwards of 80-90% of projects for a decade, while I can think of maybe a handful of black and white developments.

It's omnipresent in Montreal, where there are more black and/or white developments than blue glass projects.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 8:51 PM

Mansfield condos.

I really like this project, but I'm a little sad that it will be crowding the Sun Life building, hiding it partially from Sainte-Catherine street.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 9:51 PM

Oh, I like.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 10:30 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Mtl View Post
It's omnipresent in Montreal, where there are more black and/or white developments than blue glass projects.
I'm surprised t hear that! I guess i haven't been watching Montreal developments as closely as I should be.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 11:32 PM

Because there was nothing going on in Montreal in the early 2000's and because we have an affinity for bricks and stones, we almost completely skipped the green/blue glass phase. At the current moment we have too many black and white projects and I would gladly welcome a high quality blue curtain wall tower.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Mansfield condos.

I really like this project, but I'm a little sad that it will be crowding the Sun Life building, hiding it partially from Sainte-Catherine street.

Gawjus design~!

I agree with you about blocking Sun Life, in an ideal world Id move this to the Bell Centre cluster to soften all the new glass buildings in that area.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 10:27 AM

Larger render of Mansfield condos

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post

Black and white being used together the way shown in that proposal and so many others is definitely a fad. It's been played out across the GTA for about the last 10 years now but thankfully that trend seems to be slowing down. True it's nowhere near as used as blue glass structures but that's probably a good thing. The new trend seems to be warmer colours and textures like brick, bronze, wood which is where I would like to see more of our proposals going. Stathearn looks fine but if it were to be repeated with similar designs around it it would make for a messy looking skyline. A bit like looking at the intersection of Dundas and Jarvis from Broadview.

This is just my opinion though, as they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Here are a few black and white projects that have gone up or are u/c in Toronto. I'm probably missing a bunch.

YC
19 Duncan
Lago
FIVE
The Grid
Dundas Square Gardens
Picasso
Waterscapes
Hotel X
Young and Rich
Du East
RC3
St Lawrence Condo
Mirvish Village Tower 3A
Mirvish Village Tower 3B
Campus One
Upper East Village 1 & 2
Rise
2376 Dundas Street West

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 2:37 PM

Quote:
Mansfield condos.

This is really nice. Such a classy design that looks like it has always belonged there. This might be my favourite Montreal proposal atm.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 8:33 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
Black and white being used together the way shown in that proposal and so many others is definitely a fad. It's been played out across the GTA for about the last 10 years now but thankfully that trend seems to be slowing down. True it's nowhere near as used as blue glass structures but that's probably a good thing. The new trend seems to be warmer colours and textures like brick, bronze, wood which is where I would like to see more of our proposals going. Stathearn looks fine but if it were to be repeated with similar designs around it it would make for a messy looking skyline. A bit like looking at the intersection of Dundas and Jarvis from Broadview.

This is just my opinion though, as they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Here are a few black and white projects that have gone up or are u/c in Toronto. I'm probably missing a bunch.

YC
19 Duncan
Lago
FIVE
The Grid
Dundas Square Gardens
Picasso
Waterscapes
Hotel X
Young and Rich
Du East
RC3
St Lawrence Condo
Mirvish Village Tower 3A
Mirvish Village Tower 3B
Campus One
Upper East Village 1 & 2
Rise
2376 Dundas Street West
Yea I don't see it. Maybe in Montreal, but according to the database there have been 276 buildings of 100m or greater completed or u/c in Toronto since 2010. With numbers like that, it isn't hard to find examples of buildings in any conventional architectural colour palette. If anything, there are fewer than I'd expect for such common, basic colours, probably because of the blue/clear glass craze.

I'm glad that you're seeing more proposals that you find pleasing though.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 9:00 PM

Proposal at Somerset and O'Connor in Ottawa's Centretown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
Gemstone is proposing the development of a high-rise, mixed-use building at 311 Somerset Street West & 234/236 O'Connor Street. In total, the project would contain 140 residential units (including a mix of studio, one and two-bedroom units) and 251 square metres of commercial space at-grade with 67 underground parking spaces and 110 bicycle parking spaces located within the parking garage and a dedicated enclosed bicycle room at-grade.

The main entrance and lobby are in the southwest frontage of the building, fronting Somerset Street West. The ground floor will host key amenity space such as a lobby lounge area, bicycle parking room, office/amenity space, service areas, and 251 square metres of commercial space with front on both Somerset and O’Connor. The commercial units will also have an opportunity to provide a patio area and would be consistent with the line of patios already on the north side of Somerset St. West. Direct exterior access to the bike storage and garbage rooms are by the access lane on the north end of the building, sheltered by the building’s cantilever above.

The proposed design includes a three (3) storey underground parking garage that includes 67 parking spaces and is accessed via a garage ramp via O’Connor Street to the northeast. Of the 67 spaces, 13 spaces are proposed as visitor spaces, while the balance of the spaces will be for residents resulting in a residential parking rate of 0.48 spaces per unit. No parking is proposed for the retail component of the building.

Architect: Figurr Architects Collective

Development application:
https://devapps.ottawa.ca/en/applica...1-0004/details

Siteplan:

Renderings:

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 9:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post

YC
19 Duncan
Lago
FIVE
The Grid
Dundas Square Gardens
Picasso
Waterscapes
Hotel X
Young and Rich
Du East
RC3
St Lawrence Condo
Mirvish Village Tower 3A
Mirvish Village Tower 3B
Campus One
Upper East Village 1 & 2
Rise
2376 Dundas Street West
Winnipeg has none so....LOL

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 10:01 PM
ARTchitecture

Alt Hotel Winnipeg could be seen as such… but I guess it's black and yellow.

In Calgary, black and white recent high rises include…

Hilton East Village
Alt Hotel East Village
Alt Hotel University District
Sixth and Tenth
The Bridge
Era
Telus Sky
Park Central I
Park Central II

Those are all I can recall at the moment. Most are either fully black/charcoal with glass, rather than overtly black and white cladding.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2021, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Mansfield condos.

Really scared about the black prefab, since all projects in the city using black prefab look like shit. So I guess we'll see whenever this project takes shape.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2021, 5:07 AM

Newly released renderings of the joint Ottawa Central Library and Library and Archives Canada. We can better see the relationship with its surroundings and ground level interactions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post

Old Posted Apr 23, 2021, 5:27 AM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Mansfield condos.

Oh, that's nice. I'm a big fan of curvy/bevelled corners. Roundness is something that Art Deco did right, and I'm not sure why it's been so out of fashion since. We need more of it.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2021, 7:11 PM

Posted by DKaz in the Kelowna thread. Another major downtown tower proposal for the city. The form is fairly simple, but I think that the material choice is great :

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKaz View Post

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada