HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 10:54 PM
Beer me Captain

Interesting approach that Canada is taking vice the UK. The UK has placed India on it's "red list" which bans travelers from India coming to the UK, regardless of whether they come on a direct flight or via a connection. Canada has only banned direct flights from India/Pak.

I guess it's a good thing that the variant doesn't know how to make a connection in FRA or LHR!

Do something about your future.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 10:59 PM
Midtowner since 2K

I think the idea behind this being some sort of "racist" push against those of the Indian subcontinent is pure flooey. This is a necessary, temporary step to eliminate the possibility of direct flights from a country with a (what looks to be*) dangerous mutated version of the coronavirus. There's no message being sent through this saying we don't welcome Indians to our country. This is simply a way to control and stave off potential methods for this variant to enter our borders and cities.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 11:16 PM

Received my first covid vaccine shot on Tuesday night at Ottawa City Hall. It all went very smoothly as I was out of there 25 minutes after arriving. I received the Moderna vaccine. Second shot already scheduled for early August.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
So damn close to 1% a day!
its well over 1% of eligible people (31 million) however.
at today's of 360,197 vaccination rate it would take 58 days to vaccinate 100% of eligible Canadians

Old Posted Apr 23, 2021, 12:01 AM

After next week's shipment of 300k, there will be no more deliveries of the J&J vaccine until June: https://globalnews.ca/news/7780477/c...n-and-johnson/

I guess it won't be playing a significant roll in our mass vaccination campaign after all.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2021, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddog View Post
Interesting approach that Canada is taking vice the UK. The UK has placed India on it's "red list" which bans travelers from India coming to the UK, regardless of whether they come on a direct flight or via a connection. Canada has only banned direct flights from India/Pak.

I guess it's a good thing that the variant doesn't know how to make a connection in FRA or LHR!
They have to have a negative COVID test taken in whatever country they are connecting through.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2021, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddog View Post

Do we even have direct flights to Pakistan? I can’t find any on with a search.

Seems like more pandemic theatre than anything.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2021, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman23 View Post
Do we even have direct flights to Pakistan? I can’t find any on with a search.

Seems like more pandemic theatre than anything.
Pakistan International Airlines had flights to Pearson from Islamabad, Karachi, and Lahore. Pre covid at least.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2021, 1:12 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
I think Nova Scotia is taking the right approach with HRM, though I wouldn't really call it a lockdown as a lot is still open - retail and malls open at 25% capacity, gathering limits of 5 people both indoors and outdoors. 38 new cases in NS is about equivalent to 570 in Ontario, and Ontario could have done the same thing with the GTA (not just the City of Toronto and Peel) when cases were much lower.

Of course, NS also has the advantage of being a lot more isolated than Ontario, so these restrictions are probably sufficient for them at their current case level.
It sounds like they're going to where the Lower Mainland was up until early November.

I think the supposed isolation of NS is largely a red herring. There's still commercial traffic, there are still flights every day. If they didn't have the 14 day isolation rules and the low trigger point for enforcing stricter measures, the situation in NS would rapidly progress to a BC or ON level. This is fairly clear since there have been multiple rapidly spreading outbreaks even with the quarantine rule in place.

NS is not really a remote sparse area, it's mostly a blob of population within about a 100 km radius that is a 2.5 hour trip from Toronto and in normal times also has direct flights to NYC and London. It had community spread by March 2020.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2021, 1:23 AM
BANNED

Mask Mandates for Children Mostly Harmful: Professor of Medicine

https://www.theepochtimes.com/mask-m...e_3785980.html

Old Posted Apr 23, 2021, 1:29 AM
BANNED

Trudeau’s Vaccine Failure.

'My age group lost out': Regina residents 44+ frustrated over lack of vaccines

Demand for COVID-19 vaccine appointments on Thursday outpacing the province's supply

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...gina-1.5998233

Old Posted Apr 23, 2021, 1:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkahHigh View Post
When a thread derails because of one or two persons (as is the case in the last 24 hours), it does ruin it for a lot of people who want to have intelligent discussions.
Bingo!

Old Posted Apr 23, 2021, 1:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migs View Post
Because someone has a differing point of view doesn’t make it unintelligent. The fragility and intolerance around here is quite something.
Posting known falsehoods makes you unintelligent.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2021, 1:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
It sounds like they're going to where the Lower Mainland was up until early November.

I think the supposed isolation of NS is largely a red herring. There's still commercial traffic, there are still flights every day. If they didn't have the 14 day isolation rules and the low trigger point for enforcing stricter measures, the situation in NS would rapidly progress to a BC or ON level. This is fairly clear since there have been multiple rapidly spreading outbreaks even with the quarantine rule in place.

NS is not really a remote sparse area, it's mostly a blob of population within about a 100 km radius that is a 2.5 hour trip from Toronto and in normal times also has direct flights to NYC and London. It had community spread by March 2020.
It is isolated though in the sense that there's just the one small land border with New Brunswick, which is almost entirely swampland and only has ~2 roads connecting the provinces, including the Trans-Can... and that's it. The airport normally serves a bunch of international destinations but a lot of that disappeared a couple months before the pandemic started due to the Max8 fiasco, and right now YHZ only has direct service to 4 or 5 other (domestic) airports. Most of the other nearby regional airports have had ~0 flights for a good chunk of the pandemic. I'm not sure what VIA service here has been like during the pandemic but I'm guessing not good. The other main connections are cruise ships (which entirely stopped being a thing about a year ago) and ferries to NL, PEI, and NB, which are relatively easy to monitor, and ferry service to Maine, which is suspended. So it is relatively easy to block/screen travelers compared to somewhere like Ontario, which has various land borders w/ multiple provinces and states as well as the largest of the 4 "designated airports" that all international flights basically have to pass through. I have a feeling those 4 airports are a big part of what's been driving the cases in their respective provinces, to be honest (staff at the airport catching COVID from international travelers and unknowingly bringing it home into the surrounding communities)

Old Posted Apr 23, 2021, 1:40 AM

For all the cheerleading about Texas, they had more COVID deaths today than Canada, despite having 9 million less people.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2021, 1:42 AM

Quote:
I have the screenshots saved to prove I didn't post that link and that it was edited afterwards by someone else. Its not fragility when you are accused of something like anti-semitism when that is the furthese thing from the truth.

Thankfully I have the receipts. If any one wants to see the proof by all means PM me, you'd think there would be more concern by SSP members that there are mods editting people's posts with such garbage.
If the mods are against you, best to just leave now.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2021, 1:43 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
So it is relatively easy to block/screen travelers compared to somewhere like Ontario, which has various land borders w/ multiple provinces and states as well as the largest of the 4 "designated airports" that all international flights basically have to pass through. I have a feeling those 4 airports are a big part of what's been driving the cases in their respective provinces, to be honest.
To be honest I find this pretty unconvincing. I hear it a lot about how it's all so complicated in BC. Here in BC we really have a handful of major entry points and this province has much greater resources than NS does. I am not really sure the "checkpoint" burden would be that much higher here than what it is on New Brunswick. We have major border crossings with Washington State and those were largely closed down and seemingly ceased to be a significant source of imported cases due to decisions that were made.

Ontario is almost an island too. There are a few main bridges with Quebec and then there's a huge mostly uninhabited gap through Northern ON. Most American border crossings are bridges, there aren't many of them, and they've been controlled. Ontario likely has 15x+ the resources that NS does. In NS there's still the commercial shipping for residents plus operational sea ports and air cargo.

Australia and New Zealand were also faced with the question of how to handle international flights. I doubt that Calgary gets more international visitors than Sydney during a normal period.

Not saying it's good or bad and I understand that different places will make different decisions and people may have different values. But I think that geography is over-emphasized as a factor, particularly in the later resurgence of cases in late 2020 and onward. Ontario could have implemented what Nova Scotia did had there been a concerted effort. There wasn't.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2021, 1:45 AM

Quote:
Mask Mandates for Children Mostly Harmful: Professor of Medicine

https://www.theepochtimes.com/mask-m...e_3785980.html
Yes. One could follow what is being proposed by members of the "Great Barrington Declaration" or you could look at consensus views in the US such as:
"The Infectious Diseases Society of America, representing over 12,000 doctors and scientists, released a statement calling the Great Barrington Declaration's proposals "inappropriate, irresponsible and ill-informed".
If for some reason you believe the American establishment is missing something, maybe we should look to the European:
"Europe's largest association of virologists, the Gesellschaft für Virologie [de], released a statement co-authored by Christian Drosten saying the declaration's proposals were liable to result in "a humanitarian and economic catastrophe"
Sounds like most experts don't support this theory. Go figure....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_...on_Declaration

Old Posted Apr 23, 2021, 1:47 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Posting known falsehoods makes you unintelligent.
How do you know it’s not you posting falsehoods? The scientific method is evidence based, is it not? Ontario has had strong mask mandates & has been under various forms of lockdown for many months yet cases still skyrocketed. Is it possible the Fauci’s original conclusion regarding masks was correct? I mean he did have several decades of studying aerosol viruses to come to that conclusion. In a scientific community, questions are a good thing. Without questions, science is nothing but tyranny.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2021, 1:48 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
If the mods are against you, best to just leave now.
Sounds like something out of the eastern bloc during the Cold War.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada