HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Apr 6, 2021, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
It was nice to see some of Downtown done as of this weekend and good to see it ramping up, but it still amazes me that we can remove snow in 72hrs, but that it takes 6-10 weeks for this. One of the single largest issues for pedestrians, bus riders, bike couriers and the use and enjoyment of patios or even shopping on main streets is dirt, grime, dust.

---

Spring street sweeping begins today
April 6, 2021

Annual citywide street sweeping begins today, April 6. The City reminds Edmontonians to help do their part by removing their vehicles and providing our crews plenty of room to work.

News media are invited to join Andrew Grant, General Supervisor for Infrastructure Field Operations, for details on the City’s street sweeping work.

Photo Opportunity: There will be a street cleaning vehicle on hand for photos.

Date: Tuesday, April 6
Time: 10 a.m.

PLEASE NOTE: This is an active work site with large mobile equipment. Media are asked to use caution when entering. High visibility traffic vests are mandatory on site and posted yard speed is 10 km/h. Park in designated visitor parking and walk within yellow, pedestrian lines. We will be ensuring all public health guidelines are followed. Please wear a mask or face covering.
while equally frustrating given how much 6 - 10 weeks eats into to the limited time of year we get to really enjoy the outdoors, to be fair we don't remove snow from the vast majority of our streets and we don't remove it at all from any of sidewalks. IF things go according to plan, we plow our major arterials within 72 hours, actual removal from those roads can take quite a bit longer.

while you're comparing apples to oranges (or should that be snow to dirt?), i completely agree with you conclusion. our beloved city still simply does a crap job cleaning up crap in more than one way.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2021, 2:47 PM

The street sweepers move slower, plus I drove by a whole team of mini bobs with sweeper attachments on Victoria Trail last night.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2021, 2:54 PM
Community Guy

Obviously slower, but we should be able to get the key locations completely done in a week or two.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Apr 6, 2021, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
our beloved city still simply does a crap job cleaning up crap in more than one way.
Presuming that the majority agrees with you, and I'd hope so, then how is it that the City has decided that "nowhere good enough" is somehow standard operating procedure. Is there perhaps a subconscious hearkening back to the 1800s when most roads were dirt?

Honestly, springtime is the worst time of year to bring visitors to Edmonton. The melting snow reveals a multitude of sins. But I think I've whined about that enough already in previous posts, so I'll end it here.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 7:24 PM

so. much. litter.

Wind causing it all during the winter with unclosed garbage lids? Unsecured loads in back of trucks? People actually throwing garbage on the street/out their windows? a combination of all of the above?

highway 2 just north of 41ave bridge in the city seems to have collected a landfill worth of garbage along the wired fence.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slide View Post
so. much. litter.

Wind causing it all during the winter with unclosed garbage lids? Unsecured loads in back of trucks? People actually throwing garbage on the street/out their windows? a combination of all of the above?

highway 2 just north of 41ave bridge in the city seems to have collected a landfill worth of garbage along the wired fence.
it's no different in and around downtown...

per my earlier post, maybe we should reinstall entry signage that simply replaces the old "city of champions" with "city of crap" and we could just ignore it on all fronts instead of assuming it matters...

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slide View Post
If I had a nickel for every business person I've known that flew into Edmonton, sat in the back of a cab/uber and then described to me the disgusting appearance of the city... [fill in the blank]

Old Posted Apr 11, 2021, 11:18 PM
Community Guy

A very cool map by Felipe Cañavera.

-Yellow represents buildings with up to 3 storeys
-orange with up to 6 storeys
-red with 7+ storeys.

https://twitter.com/afcanavera/statu...78498391941120

Old Posted Apr 16, 2021, 2:59 PM
Community Guy

San Francisco's Spin released hundreds of orange and black e-scooters into Old Strathcona and downtown Edmonton earlier this week as the company prepared to make its official debut in Canada this weekend.

Spin is offering free rides in celebration of its launch on April 17, and will also offer healthcare workers rides at no charge for a limited time. It joins fellow scooter companies Lime and Bird on the streets.

https://edmonton.taproot.news/news/2...eid=b81cde227f

Old Posted Apr 16, 2021, 3:16 PM

Haven't there been a couple of other e-scooter companies that operated in Edmonton? What happened to them?

Old Posted Apr 16, 2021, 3:26 PM
Community Guy

Lime and Bird are the primary ones... but there have been a few smaller ones that flickered as well.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 4:31 PM
Community Guy

Reference ID: Job No 392108227-002
Description: To operate a Special Event (Root 107, operating from April 21 to May 2, 2021)
Plan 8222080 Blk 6 Lot 133
Applicant: DOWNTOWN BUSINESS ASSOCIATION OF EDMONTON
Create Date: 4/13/2021 12:18:30 PM
Neighbourhood: DOWNTOWN

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 2:12 PM
Community Guy

'Downtown Edmonton’s outdoor street celebration, Al Fresco, will be back as of June 5, and will run every Saturday until Sept. 11 from 10-3pm. The events will feature local makers, extended patios, live music and more.'

https://twitter.com/4thStPromenade/s...72845934579720

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 5:27 PM
Community Guy

City highlights importance of parks and open spaces
April 22, 2021

Edmonton's parks and open spaces are part of our city's identity. Over the last year, in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic, our parks have offered us a safe and healthy way to connect with the people we care about, connect with nature and stay active.

Residents came out in droves to city parks as a safe escape during the COVID-19 pandemic. Compared to 2019, many river valley parks and trail systems saw a 100 per cent increase in users.
The shared pathway on River Valley Road saw 199,196 users from June to September, 2020, compared to 91,948 during the same time frame in 2019.
The Rossdale Trail or shared pathway saw 117,740 users from June to September, 2020, compared to 60,207 during the same time frame in 2019.
The Gold Bar Trail saw 196,958 users from June to September, 2020, compared to 53,744 during the same time frame in 2019.

As our City grows to eventually welcome two million residents, the demand for parks and open spaces will only increase. That is why we are planning for the future, today. During the 2021 construction season, the City will renew Confederation District Park, Emily Murphy Park, Gold Bar Park, Hermitage Park and Glengarry District Park. The City will also build or renew 14 playgrounds and plant six thousand trees through the Urban Tree Canopy Expansion Project. The City is planning for future parks, including Warehouse Campus Park, a park that will provide a much-needed urban green space to address the needs of current and future downtown residents, students, workers and visitors to our downtown.

2021 Naturalization: 150 hectares of stormwater management facility land
Alongside plans for future parks, the City is also planning the future of naturalized spaces in Edmonton. This year, 150 hectares of land around stormwater management facilities throughout the City will begin their conversion to naturalized sites. In these areas specifically, naturalization helps protect the banks of stormwater management facilities, like wet ponds, from erosion and captures rainwater. It also reduces stormwater runoff and reduces the risk of flooding.

Naturalization increases habitat and food sources for plants, birds, wildlife and beneficial pollinators, like bees and butterflies, and increases areas for planting trees and shrubs which in turn provide benefits to residents such as windbreaks, shade and beauty.

2021 parks and open space service levels
Our approach to service levels this season will be improved compared to early summer 2020 when the City faced sudden impacts of the pandemic. With these adjustments, although they are not the same as pre-pandemic levels, crews are working within allocated resources for this year.

Turf maintenance throughout parks will be completed on a 10-14 day schedule, except for premier parks and sports fields which will continue to be maintained on their 7-10 day cycle. At the start of last year, as a result of the pandemic, turf was maintained in parks on a 21-day cycle, before service levels were increased to a 14-day cycle in July.

Edmontonians showed their community spirit last year by mowing grass in areas with longer grass. However, for safety reasons the City does not encourage the public to mow City-owned parks. There are several other ways residents can get involved in programs that support Edmonton’s natural environment and beautification of green spaces.

Crews are also sweeping trails to remove any gravel, sand or debris. These trails will receive periodic sweeping during the year if there is too much debris or sand. For the summer months, litter will be collected from garbage cans located along trails twice per week.

For a complete breakdown of service levels for parks and open spaces, including trails, outdoor City maintained sports facilities such as ball diamonds and running tracks, turf, horticulture shrub beds, and weed control, visit edmonton.ca/ParkCare.

Parks are a treasured and vital resource for Edmontonians. Those enjoying our parks and open spaces this spring and summer are reminded to spread out, make use of the many parks and amenities available in your communities and throughout the City, and follow all COVID-19 related restrictions and requirements.

For more information:
Building Edmonton: building.edmonton.ca
Have you ever wondered what type of work goes into planning a city park? For more information, check out our latest Transforming Edmonton blog.
Service levels: edmonton.ca/ParkCare
Naturalization: edmonton.ca/Naturalization

Media contacts:
For park construction and renewals:
Lindsay Harvey
Communications Advisor
Communications and Engagement
780-995-7968

For parks and open space service levels:
Zak Fairbrother
Communications Coordinator
780-868-2090

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
If I had a nickel for every business person I've known that flew into Edmonton, sat in the back of a cab/uber and then described to me the disgusting appearance of the city... [fill in the blank]

To quote Bruce Cockburn:

"The skin around every city looks the same
Miles of flat neon spelling well known names
Used trucks dirty donuts you you're the one
Fat wheeled cars squeal into the sun"

I'd have to say your business associates make for very rude guests if they complain about their host city to one of its denizens.

Optional Dance Break!: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-av...&start_radio=1

Last edited by buildings; Apr 22, 2021 at 11:57 PM.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2021, 12:15 AM

If anyone drove on the main highway through Kelowna (with traffic lights and traffic that would make the Yellowhead seem like the fastest throughfare in the world), they'd think most of it was a 70s era suburban dump too.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2021, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings View Post

To quote Bruce Cockburn:

"The skin around every city looks the same
Miles of flat neon spelling well known names
Used trucks dirty donuts you you're the one
Fat wheeled cars squeal into the sun"

I'd have to say your business associates make for very rude guests if they complain about their host city to one of its denizens.

Optional Dance Break!: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-av...&start_radio=1
emphasis added...

sharing the truth and being honest is never rude. if you don't know what's good or what's bad in comparison to things elsewhere, how do you expect to ever get better?

we once not so long ago elected a mayor on the basis of "no more crap"? unfortunately, there's still a lot of crap, in no small part because it seems to have become acceptable again.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2021, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKaz View Post
If anyone drove on the main highway through Kelowna (with traffic lights and traffic that would make the Yellowhead seem like the fastest throughfare in the world), they'd think most of it was a 70s era suburban dump too.
Hmmm. What's the opposite of aspirational? Keep that bar low.

Old Posted May 3, 2021, 7:30 PM
Community Guy

City permits alcohol consumption at designated picnic sites in River Valley parks

May 3, 2021

Today, City Council approved a plan to permit alcohol consumption at 47 picnic sites across seven parks in the River Valley as a pilot project that will run from May 28, 2021 to October 11, 2021.

“Through public engagement, a majority of citizens told us they support responsible alcohol consumption at designated picnic sites,” said David Aitken, Branch Manager for Community Standards and Neighbourhoods. “The picnic sites chosen meet our guiding principles around safety, accessibility, visitor experience, honouring existing park users and inclusivity.”

Previous to this change, alcohol consumption was not permitted in any park without a festival and event licence.

The selected parks for the 2021 pilot project include: Sir Wilfrid Laurier, Whitemud, William Hawrelak, Government House, Victoria, Gold Bar and Rundle. Park sites include both bookable and “first-come, first-served” picnic sites.

Adults may consume alcohol safely and responsibly from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. daily at only those picnic sites marked by signage.

Alcohol consumption is still not permitted at picnic sites in those parks that are not part of the pilot project. The only exception is for activities that have a festival and event licence.

City administration will review the pilot project over its duration and report back results to City Council at the end of 2021.

Media contact:
Mark Torjusen
Senior Communications Advisor
780-914-8087

Old Posted May 5, 2021, 7:33 PM
Community Guy

One of my favourite streets to explore, Newbury in Boston. This needs to help guide more of our infill and urban design aspirations.

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=246755

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton