HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 6:09 AM

I keep waiting for this one to get the tiles installed but every time I pass the site they aren't there.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2021, 6:41 PM

Hacienda CDC's Las Adelitas development on Killingsworth broke ground a couple weeks ago, very excited to see this built in a drastically underserved part of the city, on a lot that could easily be charitably referred to as "Urban Blight"

Old Posted Apr 3, 2021, 11:10 PM

Does anyone know if the redevelopment project of the old Gordon's Fireplace Shop on 33rd/ NE Broadway building is still moving forward? It used to be an airplane parts factory during WWI also. I drive by on I-84 daily, and thought I saw some demolition of part of the building on the east side. It's getting pretty old seeing this covered in graffiti, (along with almost everything along that freeway these days).

https://www.bizjournals.com/portland...get-a-big.html

Screen Shot 2021-04-03 at 3.50.09 PM by Ryan Miller, on Flickr

Screen Shot 2021-04-03 at 3.49.43 PM by Ryan Miller, on Flickr

Old Posted Apr 5, 2021, 2:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownpdx View Post
Does anyone know if the redevelopment project of the old Gordon's Fireplace Shop on 33rd/ NE Broadway building is still moving forward? It used to be an airplane parts factory during WWI also. I drive by on I-84 daily, and thought I saw some demolition of part of the building on the east side. It's getting pretty old seeing this covered in graffiti, (along with almost everything along that freeway these days).
https://www.portlandmaps.com/detail/...did/?p=R263172

Looks like some recent activity, but im guessing a redevelopment is a ways off. Early assistance in November says:
Quote:
Mixed-use development of existing building for retail, preschool and household living. Repair and maintenance of building envelope. Seismic upgrade.
That building is graffiti heaven

Old Posted Apr 5, 2021, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxsg34 View Post
https://www.portlandmaps.com/detail/...did/?p=R263172

Looks like some recent activity, but im guessing a redevelopment is a ways off. Early assistance in November says:

That building is graffiti heaven
I noticed some equipment on the adjacent site (just east of the building) on 4/4 and it looked like they demolished a three-story non-masonry annex to the building. However, the permit shows it is on a separate property.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxsg34 View Post
1130 NE Alberta is now under review
Permits Issued yesterday. More info here: https://solterra.com/our-projects/ca...arts-district/

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 5:03 PM

Short list of active projects in NE

1130 NE Alberta Hotel (5-story) - UC
4317 NE Emerson St (New De La Salle North Catholic High School) - UC
4636 WI/ NE 42nd Ave (Mamook Tokatee Apartments) - UC
206 NE Sacramento Townhomes - UC
3100 NE Sandy Blvd (MorningStar at Laurelhurst) - UC

5421 NE 14th Pl (Harvey Rice Affordable Housing) - Under Review
4931 NE 33rd St (3-story) - Under Review
7003 NE 27th St (New Dekum Court) - Under Review
3755 N Williams Ave (Two 4-Story's) - Under Review (pic re: Thrailkill Architect)
25 N Fargo (7-story) - Approved to Issue (since Jan)
3185 N Vancouver Ave (Zeal Lofts) - Approved to Issue (since June 2019)
1732 NE 2nd Ave (Schuyler Apartments, 9-story) - Under Review (since 2019)
5825 NE Prescott St (Hayu Tilixam 4-story) - Under Review
801 NE 21st Ave (Dairy Apartments) - Under Review
2505 NE Pacific St (Pepsi Blocks Phase 1A) - Under Review
2510 NE Sandy (Atomic Orchard) - Under Review
Mann Estate House Expansion - Under Review

Old Posted Jun 13, 2021, 10:52 PM

Latest Washington Post story on homelessness in Portland, focuses on one mega camp in the Sumner neighborhood: link

I participated in a SOLVE clean-up event on Saturday morning in Gateway neighborhood. I'm not sure how many tons of waste we pulled from the streets, but it was clear that residents there were absolutely fed up with the homeless population. The waste was concentrated around lived-in vehicles and you could tell where a lived-in vehicle was previously located by all the debris. Several residents came up to us complaining about it and thanked us. Multiples more honked and thanked us from their cars. Gateway is a relatively more affordable place to live and people seemed pretty frustrated there. It seems like this city is reaching a breaking point.

Last edited by RED_PDXer; Jun 14, 2021 at 12:43 PM.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2021, 7:53 PM

Thank you for doing that. ^^^ I try to do these Solve events every weekend, and it's encouraging to see so many of them happening. Another way to help is Adopt One Block, I think there like over 3,000 Portlanders signed up for this and you can do it whenever you want, they'll send you the cleanup supplies.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2021, 9:54 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Thank you for doing that. ^^^ I try to do these Solve events every weekend, and it's encouraging to see so many of them happening.
The work they're doing is amazing, especially considering what they're cleaning up.

The amount of volunteerism in this town never ceases to amaze me. I'm very frustrated and even angry about the current mess our city finds itself in, mostly due to the total lack of leadership from city hall, but I'm always proud of how much Portlanders care and how they never hesitate to pitch in.

Lately, I've been thinking a lot about last summer's Black Lives Matter protests, followed by the protests against the feds (and aganst Trump's secret police) at the federal courthouse. I hope people took at least a moment to notice how many volunteers helped, night after night after night. The people directing traffic around protesters, the medics, even the ACLU folks. There were so many people helping that most folks might not have realized were volunteers.

Last edited by 2oh1; Jun 16, 2021 at 10:33 PM. Reason: Typo!

Old Posted Jun 16, 2021, 4:34 AM

Location: Portland (part-time); warm foreign countries (part-time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
The work they're doing is amazing, especially considering what they're cleaning up.

The amount of volunteerism in this town never ceases to amaze me. I'm very frustrated and even angry about the current mess our city finds itself in, mostly due to the total lack of leadership from city hall, but I'm always proud of how much Portlanders care and how they never hesitate to pitch in.

Lately, I've been thinking a lot about last summer's Black Lives Matter protests, followed by the protests against the feds (and aganst Trump's secret police) at the federal courthouse. I hope people took at least a moment to notice how many volunteers helped, night after night after night. The people directing traffic around protesters, the medics, even the ACLU folks. There were so many people helping that most folks didn't might not have realized were volunteers.
Thank you for the reminder that there are signs of community and humanity following four years of a malevolent White House and a year of pandemic isolation.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2021, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Thank you for doing that. ^^^ I try to do these Solve events every weekend, and it's encouraging to see so many of them happening. Another way to help is Adopt One Block, I think there like over 3,000 Portlanders signed up for this and you can do it whenever you want, they'll send you the cleanup supplies.
Oh! I'll check that out. I purchased one of those trash grabbing sticks and I go through my neighborhood with a small bucket and the stick on weekend mornings and walk around til I fill the bucket. I was doing this downtown on my lunch breaks every now and then back before the pandemic. It's therapeutic to have an impact, however small.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2021, 10:03 PM

And when there is such a large problem everywhere you look lately, it's nice to see an immediate impact by just picking up litter for an hour.

Adopt One Block automatically assigns you the block where you live (so you're ahead of the game haha.) But you can choose another one if you like. I chose one a couple miles away but it's commercial, busy and in much more need of attention than my own block. Not as convenient but I try to stop on my way home from work, get the picker and a garbage bag out of my trunk, and spend 15 mins cleaning. Great program.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2021, 10:08 PM

While we're on the subject I'll try to steer it back to NE Portland... I'm noticing some nice changes. A few homeless camps have disappeared recently on ne Glisan/I-205, and E Burnside near 122nd. And ODOT has contracted with River City Environmental to remove graffiti, and it's showing results. Of course... graffiti reappears pretty quickly but at least an effort is being made to spiff things up.

Last edited by downtownpdx; Jun 18, 2021 at 10:18 AM.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2021, 12:53 AM
Semi-Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityscapes View Post
I keep waiting for this one to get the tiles installed but every time I pass the site they aren't there.
The SolTerra website has pictures of the project like this is the finished product. Did the mosaic get abandoned?

Old Posted Oct 29, 2021, 5:31 PM

Portland Black youth athletics group pitches dream of massive indoor sports facility in Concordia neighborhood
A Portland youth athletics group with big dreams of bringing a sprawling youth sports complex to Northeast Portland faced tough questions and the prospect of competing proposals during a public presentation Wednesday night.

Leaders of the Albina Sports Program appeared before a Portland school board committee to tout its decades of providing free and low-cost athletic opportunities to Black youth and pitch its ambitious but far-off vision for the site of former Whitaker Middle School, a large and long-vacant parcel adjacent to the city’s Fernhill Park...

Read more on Oregonlive... ***WARNING - PAYWALL***

More information on the Albina Sports Program website

If realized, the so-called Albina Sports Complex would give Portland’s more than 65,000 public school students access to the largest athletic compound of its kind on the west coast, according to its backers, which the group says includes an array of local Black, business and elected leaders. (Courtesy of the Albina Sports Program)

Last edited by uncommon.name; Oct 29, 2021 at 5:32 PM. Reason: More info

Old Posted Oct 30, 2021, 5:45 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncommon.name View Post

Portland Black youth athletics group pitches dream of massive indoor sports facility in Concordia neighborhood
A Portland youth athletics group with big dreams of bringing a sprawling youth sports complex to Northeast Portland faced tough questions and the prospect of competing proposals during a public presentation Wednesday night.

Leaders of the Albina Sports Program appeared before a Portland school board committee to tout its decades of providing free and low-cost athletic opportunities to Black youth and pitch its ambitious but far-off vision for the site of former Whitaker Middle School, a large and long-vacant parcel adjacent to the city’s Fernhill Park...

Read more on Oregonlive... ***WARNING - PAYWALL***

More information on the Albina Sports Program website

If realized, the so-called Albina Sports Complex would give Portland’s more than 65,000 public school students access to the largest athletic compound of its kind on the west coast, according to its backers, which the group says includes an array of local Black, business and elected leaders. (Courtesy of the Albina Sports Program)
This looks amazing, I really like the indoor multi-use structure and its design. I hate to ask this question, but for the sporting events that would happen here, how would parking work?

Old Posted Nov 1, 2021, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
This looks amazing, I really like the indoor multi-use structure and its design. I hate to ask this question, but for the sporting events that would happen here, how would parking work?
Looks like 400+ spaces on the lower level.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2021, 8:37 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNTimberjack View Post
Looks like 400+ spaces on the lower level.
Thanks for that, I don't know how I missed that plan of the underground garage.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2021, 9:21 PM
BANNED

Yup doesn’t shock me as soon as I read about this I immediately just assumed all the parking would be underground. Smart

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland