HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelMonkey View Post
Haha... good stuff
The guy very quickly begins to sound like a bot, caught in his own recursive "Rahm ass kisser liberal snowflake" loop, bereft of a real argument.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
BVic and I both had a good time with Mr. Rogers.
Didn't realize that was you. I have fun poking trolls/stupid people online. Dude is unhinged.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 6:15 PM
MPLSXCHI

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelMonkey View Post
Just read your back and forth w "John Rogers" in the comment section of the Crains article. Good Christ its people like that who shouldnt live anywhere near a city. Really makes you wonder about the education level of the general populace. What a sad angry little man
"I have contacted the FBI"

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 7:13 PM

1035 W VanBuren

June 1

June 16

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
^^^ That's what's up. Decent looking design plus huge expansion of pedestrian upper level streets AND possibly one or two towers with hotel and residential. It's no new supertall, but it's pretty damn good and certainly way better than a giant parking lot.

The pedestrian walkways are actually really cool and a cleaver way of extracting value. By not totally decking over all the streets they let light down to the ground level, but also essentially double their "ground level" space. This could turn out to be a really unique and cool urban space, almost like a classic indoor mall, but outdoors and totally integrated into a major urban core. Now I'm excited!
I agree the pedestrian walkways are pretty awesome and if hotel and residential are planned for this it could very well end up being a supertall.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 8:49 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlw777 View Post
I agree the pedestrian walkways are pretty awesome and if hotel and residential are planned for this it could very well end up being a supertall.
In the photos it looks like they are trying to depict a High Line-eque quality to the scheme but I'm not at all sold that they aren't just being cheap and unimaginative in not decking over the whole parcel and creating a unique truly enclosed integrated ped plaza.

To me the walkways look like a glorified version of the walkways to the south by McCormick Plaza/Wrigley. And the base of the building looks a bit jumbled and confused from what I can decipher.

Along with no improvements to the hideous blank Nordstrom wall to the north this seems like another huge wasted opportunity.

I guess when John Buck promised the original Northbridge Complex to be Chicago's own Rockefeller Center when all was said and done that it would fail at every step of the way. Given this was the last chance it seems mission fail accomplished.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 9:02 PM

^ I think a grand sunken plaza ala Rock center would def be the direction to take this project...would allow a great gathering place and draw crowds from Michigan avenue and the tower atop the mall would be the perfect exclamation point...I hope they really put alot of thought in this design and execution of this project

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 9:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
In the photos it looks like they are trying to depict a High Line-eque quality to the scheme but I'm not at all sold that they aren't just being cheap and unimaginative in not decking over the whole parcel and creating a unique truly enclosed integrated ped plaza.

To me the walkways look like a glorified version of the walkways to the south by McCormick Plaza/Wrigley. And the base of the building looks a bit jumbled and confused from what I can decipher.
It makes no sense to bury those streets completely, he would be halving the amount of "ground floor" space in this project. The indoor/outdoor nature this creates for the mall is very cool. What more vibrant intense use for these few block than two floors of street facing retail?

Old Posted Jun 29, 2017, 6:55 PM

Accidentally posted this to the wrong thread:

Newly-listed units in 24-story River North condo tower are already finding buyers

We might see construction start soon on this condo building. 360 W Superior is also on track to start construction early 2018.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2017, 7:58 PM
Marina City

I just noticed the Lasalle Auto Body shop at the corner of Erie and Lasalle is being torn down. Presumably, for that Bentlam or what ever it is called condo building.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2017, 8:01 PM
The City

Pretty soon the Rock n Roll McD's is gonna just look so ridiculous that they will have to sell that parking lot.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2017, 8:11 PM
Windy City Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
June 20
...A sad replacement for a Goldberg...
Architecturally, I can't really argue with you, although the new building when the tower goes up won't be all that bad. But in terms of land use, I think having a biomedical research lab there instead of a vacant, albeit architecturally significant, building is just what Chicago needed. I wish there were more centers like this in the pipeline who's focus is specifically cutting edge research. These are the places where the big breakthroughs happen that attract top tier talent, but I'm with you in the sense that there should be no reason we should lose our gems to get them. That being said, more research facilities please.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2017, 9:16 PM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by intrepidDesign View Post
Architecturally, I can't really argue with you, although the new building when the tower goes up won't be all that bad. But in terms of land use, I think having a biomedical research lab there instead of a vacant, albeit architecturally significant, building is just what Chicago needed. I wish there were more centers like this in the pipeline who's focus is specifically cutting edge research. These are the places where the big breakthroughs happen that attract top tier talent, but I'm with you in the sense that there should be no reason we should lose our gems to get them. That being said, more research facilities please.
This is the economy of the future, and exactly what Chicago needs to attract highly paid talent that in turn buys the expensive condos in the new buildings going up. Self fulfilling virtuous cycle.

Would've been nice nonetheless if they could somehow incorporate or preserve, even at least partly, the design of the old Prentice somehow.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 4:49 AM
Chicago

8 E Huron

June 27, 2017

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 4:50 AM
Chicago

Centrum Hubbard - 221 W Hubbard

June 27, 2017

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 1:20 PM
The City

The big question is how they will clad the base of 8 E Huron. That makes or breaks it.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 7:33 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ih8spires View Post
I just noticed the Lasalle Auto Body shop at the corner of Erie and Lasalle is being torn down. Presumably, for that Bentlam or what ever it is called condo building.
Are you sure? I haven't seen it being torn down. Fenced off, sure, but if it was being torn down that's news to me.
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Are you sure? I haven't seen it being torn down. Fenced off, sure, but if it was being torn down that's news to me.
Pretty sure

(c/o Daniel Schell / Building Up Chicago)

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 10:00 PM
Marina City

Thanks for the proof BTT. :-)

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 11:46 PM

What's going up there?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations